Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport coup or convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 305 Posts

Test drive a vert to see if it is for you (OP). If you were into motorcycles you may enjoy the convertible.

A Corvette c7 convertible is:

1. Something to worry about being broken into/vandalized by any yahoo with a knife. Have not heard that happening in years. Reaching over the top of a closed window is not easy. Spring loaded center punch works well on a coupes rear glass,
2. A car with a piece of rotting cloth for a top which requires extensive maintenance (and $30/can snake oil) to keep it from rotting. Not an issue with modern top materials. I have never used the top treatments, only car wash soap.
3. A car you don't want to leave outside to weather the elements. Would not want to keep an uncovered coupe outside either. Bird crap etches the paint.
4. A racetrack car, (especially if you opt for the track-prepared GS or Z06), which is an oxymoron. You cannot drive the convertible on most tracks unless you fit it with a rollbar. google c7 convertible rollbar....wait for it....wait, wait, wait Valid point but what percentage of coupes make it to the track more that a few times a year?
5. GM laughs at the thought of a rollbar in a c7 vert If there is a will there is a way.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roll-bars.html
6. A car whose top collects tree sap, bird poop, and anything else that falls from the sky, as a stain. Not an issue. See #2.
7. A vette that has a very limited resale market, and climatalogically is limited to summer months for highest resale value. I could argue that verts are more rare thus keeping resale values for those looking for a vert.
8. A C7 with a bedonka donk butt compared to its more svelte coupe sibling. Subjective, the rear view on a coupe looks weird with that trapezoidal window.
9 A car with a passenger compartment storage capacity of 2 1-quart baggies. Valid point but not too hard to work around.
10. A car with another set of motors, switches and fragile top framework to go wrong. Your right. I should have bought a 1LT or 1LZ instead of a 3LZ.
11. The only car I consider to be a true sportscar, my first car in 1975 (Sunbeam Alpine), my current C7 sportscar in 2018, un-replaceable by a coupe sportscar when I tried, and hopefully will be my last car when I punch out. ?
12. In the fall, top down on a cool day, on a backroad with vibrant colored fall foilage - priceless. Absolutely correct. Here in Florida it is more like 90% of days.
13. The vert is much more quieter than a coupe by having a separation between the cabin and the large bass drum in the back of the coupe.

Last edited by Keppler; 04-06-2018 at 11:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Keppler:
dvilin (04-08-2018), Rebel Yell (04-07-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-08-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I want to correct some misinformation in this thread regarding storage/luggage space, as long as you still want to look out the rear window.

There is as much room in a Vert with the top up vs. a Coupe with the top on (I've had both). Put the partition down in the Vert, and lo and behold, there is just as much space as the Coupe. With the Vert top down vs. the Coupe top stored in the back, I bet there is probably more room in the Vert.
The following 6 users liked this post by owc6:
Foosh (04-06-2018), Kevin A Jones (04-06-2018), kitesurfer (04-08-2018), Len44 (04-08-2018), Rebel Yell (04-07-2018), Skid Row Joe (04-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

^ Absolutely correct.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:45 PM
MAGRED-02
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

People like to talk about extra cargo room in a coupe but the space is worthless if you remove the top and store it in the cargo area. It's either that or leave it at home. Security wise I don't see much difference. Any car can be broken into. Just don't leave items in the car to tempt thieves. Plus the convertible has a trunk to hide items from view. Finally, removing the roof panel in no way compares to completely dropping the top. Any clue as to what I recommend?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Simple stated, you're a Vert person or you're not. For me, if the top don't drop I just can't buy it. The best way to find out is to drive both on the same beautiful day, then you'll know. All of our opinions are just that......and you know what they say about opinions. Good luck on your decision.

This link may help you a bit.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-section.html

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 04-07-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:33 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I want to correct some misinformation in this thread regarding storage/luggage space, as long as you still want to look out the rear window.

There is as much room in a Vert with the top up vs. a Coupe with the top on (I've had both). Put the partition down in the Vert, and lo and behold, there is just as much space as the Coupe. With the Vert top down vs. the Coupe top stored in the back, I bet there is probably more room in the Vert.
Not sure why Chevrolet specs out the coupe at 15CF and the Convertible at only 10. I did look at both and decided the Couoe was a bit bigger where it needed to be with our luggage. Both obviously with tops on.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

1. Something to worry about being broken into/vandalized by any yahoo with a knife
2. A car with a piece of rotting cloth for a top which requires extensive maintenance (and $30/can snake oil) to keep it from rotting.
3. A car you don't want to leave outside to weather the elements.
4. A racetrack car, (especially if you opt for the track-prepared GS or Z06), which is an oxymoron. You cannot drive the convertible on most tracks unless you fit it with a rollbar. google c7 convertible rollbar....wait for it....wait, wait, wait
5. GM laughs at the thought of a rollbar in a c7 vert
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roll-bars.html
6. A car whose top collects tree sap, bird poop, and anything else that falls from the sky, as a stain.
7. A vette that has a very limited resale market, and climatalogically is limited to summer months for highest resale value.
8. A C7 with a bedonka donk butt compared to its more svelte coupe sibling.
9 A car with a passenger compartment storage capacity of 2 1-quart baggies.
10. A car with another set of motors, switches and fragile top framework to go wrong.
11. The only car I consider to be a true sportscar, my first car in 1975 (Sunbeam Alpine), my current C7 sportscar in 2018, un-replaceable by a coupe sportscar when I tried, and hopefully will be my last car when I punch out.
12. In the fall, top down on a cool day, on a backroad with vibrant colored fall foilage - priceless.
These are the type post I like. Well thought out, educated, and a sensible answer to the OP's question. But I have to ask. What was the last convertible you have driven, a 1959 Nash Metropolitan?
The following 3 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
dvilin (04-08-2018), kitesurfer (04-08-2018), orwollma (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM
vxplt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Coupe!
If the Corvette came as a Hardtop option, like BMW, I would consider it... otherwise no fan of Soft tops...👎
Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Okay, here's my experience FWIW. First, I never owned a convertible, never rode in a convertible, and never really had any desire to own one.

THEN, 4 years ago looking for a "Happy Birthday to Me" present for making it to "65", I was checking out my local dealer websites and ran across a new C7 priced within my price range, a M7 (a must) and options were perfect, but it was a Vert. It was a beautiful 80 degree day, so I went for a test drive and the rest is history.

Point here is that if you are even thinking a Vert is a possibility, you must test drive one with the top down and then you should have your answer.

Last edited by monicatomokc; 04-07-2018 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 05:01 PM
bdutchik
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
Okay, here's my experience FWIW. First, I never owned a convertible, never rode in a convertible, and never really had any desire to own one.

THEN, 4 years ago looking for a "Happy Birthday to Me" present for making it to "65", I was checking out my local dealer websites and ran across a new C7 priced within my price range, a M7 (a must) and options were perfect, but it was a Vert. It was a beautiful 80 degree day, so I went for a test drive and the rest is history.

Point here is that if you are even thinking a Vert is a possibility, you must test drive one with the top down and then you should have your answer.
This is spot on. I've had two C4's and a C6 which were all targa top. Took the top off constantly with all of these cars and kept asking myself why I didn't by a convertable. Finally did it with the C7 and and I'm so glad I did. The driving experience is just more immersive with the top down. You feel the power, hear the exhaust note, have the wind in your hair and the music playing. It creates a great escape from the standard coupe experience. Removing the targa is not a subsitute for the full drop top. With the top up, you essentially have a coupe with a trunk. With the top down, you have an open air performance driving machine. The convertible can be a coupe but the coupe will never be a convertible.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:42 AM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My first vette was a convertible. I tried out a coupe thinking I would like it, nope not at all. I love my top down. As, I can not ride motorcycles anymore, closet I can get. Nothing like the blue ridge parkway with top down. As, far as not having much trunk space you dont. I pack liked I did on my electra glide and went cross country with what I needed. No big deal, matter fact it is where you dont take to darn much. My vert is not loud from road noise, not hot in summer or cold in winter, as it goes each has their own reason to own one or the other. Your money, your desire, your choice.
Rebel Yell (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Not sure why Chevrolet specs out the coupe at 15CF and the Convertible at only 10. I did look at both and decided the Couoe was a bit bigger where it needed to be with our luggage. Both obviously with tops on.
OWC6 covered this in her post by stating "if you want to look out the rear window." Sure, if you stack a coupe to headliner, you can cram more in.
owc6 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM
My12thVette
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I wish they would build a fixed roof hardtop like the C5s. My C6 Z06 did not have a targa and it was one of my favorite features. Also, solid as a rock with no rattles. I just had to worry about that LS7 dropping a valve.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:48 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
OWC6 covered this in her post by stating "if you want to look out the rear window." Sure, if you stack a coupe to headliner, you can cram more in.
That makes sense. Really don't think you can go wrong with either choice for a street car.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:01 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by paganharley
My first vette was a convertible. I tried out a coupe thinking I would like it, nope not at all. I love my top down. As, I can not ride motorcycles anymore, closet I can get. Nothing like the blue ridge parkway with top down. As, far as not having much trunk space you dont. I pack liked I did on my electra glide and went cross country with what I needed. No big deal, matter fact it is where you dont take to darn much. My vert is not loud from road noise, not hot in summer or cold in winter, as it goes each has their own reason to own one or the other. Your money, your desire, your choice.
So true my N.C. friend. Nothing like that perfect day, top down, your bestie by your side, and a slow ride along the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's the best blood pressure medicine know to man.

Also, we have taken four cross country trips in Corvette Convertibles with no problems at all. Just pack sensibly.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:30 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost

1. Something to worry about being broken into/vandalized by any yahoo with a knife
No, you don't. This is not your grandfather's 1957 rag top. Taking a knife to the top will not gain you entry. It's far easier to break a window. The top of modern convertibles has a modern network of bracing that will prevent entry by knife. Same with the Boxster.

2. A car with a piece of rotting cloth for a top which requires extensive maintenance (and $30/can snake oil) to keep it from rotting.
The tops do not rot. Maintenance is no worse than the rest of the car and requires no special snake oil. You can buy it f you want, but it is not necessary.

3. A car you don't want to leave outside to weather the elements.
You don't want to leave ANY corvette outside for a lot more reasons than just weather.

4. A racetrack car, (especially if you opt for the track-prepared GS or Z06), which is an oxymoron. You cannot drive the convertible on most tracks unless you fit it with a rollbar. google c7 convertible rollbar....wait for it....wait, wait, wait

5. GM laughs at the thought of a rollbar in a c7 vert
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3596703-what-does-gm-have-against-roll-bars.html

So don't track it. How many people track their corvettes, really? OF COURSE a vert is not for the track, but for most of us that is irrelevant.

6. A car whose top collects tree sap, bird poop, and anything else that falls from the sky, as a stain.
And what happens when you don't clean up bird poop off your paint? It's worse. Besides, buy a black top. It cleans up.

7. A vette that has a very limited resale market, and climatalogically is limited to summer months for highest resale value.
Not all of us live in Connecticut. And not all of us want to sell our Vettes as soon as we buy them. This obsession over resale value is over done. Never buy a M7 because, gosh! People don't know how to drive them! Who cares? I can. My grandson cannot. That's a GOOD thing.

8. A C7 with a bedonka donk butt compared to its more svelte coupe sibling.
What does that even mean? Hey, if you like hatchbacks so much I've got a great Datsun B210 to sell you.

9 A car with a passenger compartment storage capacity of 2 1-quart baggies.
Two good sized duffels with plenty of room left over for a case or two of wine. You don't NEED all that crap. Leave the kitchen sink at home. AND the shoes! (Are you listening, sweetie?)

10. A car with another set of motors, switches and fragile top framework to go wrong.
People said the same thing when power windows were introduced. Unlike the A8, the power top does not seem to be a problem.

11. The only car I consider to be a true sportscar, my first car in 1975 (Sunbeam Alpine), my current C7 sportscar in 2018, un-replaceable by a coupe sportscar when I tried, and hopefully will be my last car when I punch out.
NOW we're talking!

12. In the fall, top down on a cool day, on a backroad with vibrant colored fall foilage - priceless.
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Foosh (04-08-2018), Kevin A Jones (04-08-2018), Rebel Yell (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Lot of info here and strong opinions, as expected. Bottom line, go drive both.

For me, there was never a question- it would be a convertible. Not just because the Corvette was conceived as a rag-top from it's inception but because it is a very different feel and experience. I developed a love for Corvettes thanks to a guy who owned maroon C2 as a teen but appreciated a convertible thanks to a Fox-body Mustang. Poor example of convertible execution but was a wonderful experience.

Have owned a few rag-tops over the years and have to say the C7 execution (including my last Corvette being a C6 convertible) is one of the best available from any manufacturer. The storage and security points are arguably valid (I would disagree) but I would offer that they are overplayed. I am biased because I like convertibles but will offer the C7 is an excellent representation, one that is very functional as well as being attractive and liveable daily. The coupe is beautiful and fun but don't be fooled into thinking the removable targa top is "the same" as the rag-top. Whether it is a cool crisp fall morning winding through a mountain road enjoying the fall leaves, a hot summer afternoon with the tunes playing or a quiet clear starry and moonlit night, the ability to press a button and enjoy the drive is unmatched by anything. Put the top up (or leave it up) and enjoy the serenity of a quieter cabin compared to the coupe, your choice...

Go drive both and then decide. Either you "get it" or you don't, no wrong choice when it comes to the C7 but you will do yourself a misjustice by not taking the time to enjoy a convertible.

Allen
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen_B:
Foosh (04-08-2018), Rebel Yell (04-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport coup or convertible

Old 04-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,794 Likes on 5,627 Posts

One thing this thread has determined is that there's many misconceptions regarding C7 convertibles by those who have never owned one, never driven one or spend any time trying to learn about them. Corvette convertibles in general have advanced tremendously in so many ways since the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Do yourself's a favor and go test dive one, operate the top, check out the insulation and general quality, check out the surprising abundance of storage space and next time a
coup vs vert thread comes up you can post with more accuracy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Foosh (04-08-2018), owc6 (04-08-2018), Rebel Yell (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
What was the last convertible you have driven, a 1959 Nash Metropolitan?
Good one
Rebel Yell (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
These are the type post I like. Well thought out, educated, and a sensible answer to the OP's question. But I have to ask. What was the last convertible you have driven, a 1959 Nash Metropolitan?
Originally Posted by DALE#3
Good one
My last and only one was a 1974 rag top CJ5 Jeep.

But in fairness the OP should drive one to see if he agrees with the <20% C7 Vert owners!
Rebel Yell (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Grand Sport coup or convertible