Sponsored by:

Did you consider a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I never considered a Porsche.
The 911 and the C7 are about as different as 2 sportscars can be.
The only thing they have in common is 4 tires and similar lap times.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (04-08-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Beny
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Damn this thread! It made me go look at a Macan GTS AWD, w/ PDK, and I really want one as a family hauler. However, no question I'll hang on to my C7 Z51 convertible.
You're welcome.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Jaye Bass
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

Well said.

Originally Posted by 99999
Someone already mentioned this earlier, but those of us who have been fortunate enough to own both, tend to have very positive things to say about both.

The Corvette is more than a car. It’s an experience, and a club, and cultural icon all at the same time.

Porsche is just like that too. It’s an experience, a club, and a cultural icon. They both have played a role in automotive history, Motorsports, and have a role to play in the automotive future.

No reason to dis either brand or vehicle, they both have earned their place and earned their respect, both have already stood the test of time as well.

Almost all of the negativity in this thread around Porsche is by those who haven’t tried the Porsche experiance yet. Likewise, any negativity thrown at the Vette from the Porsche forum by people who haven’t experienced the Vette via ownership isn’t really valid commentary. You cannot truly experiance either of these vehicles or brands from a single test drive, or judge them by a single dealership or sales person. They are both bigger and better than that.

Both cars have class, performance, and status. One has a better build quality in some areas. But the largest gap between them is the colossal value proposition of the Corvette.

Taking all else into account, the Corvette’s “power per dollar” value cannot and will not be touched. Add that it’s domestic as well, and count me as a very proud Corvette owner.

(Who also happens to be a very proud Porsche owner)

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Beny
A serious question. Did you even consider buying a Porsche?
When Porsche makes a car that I want to be seen inside driving, I will consider.

So far, only the 917, 956, 964 make the cut.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Jaye Bass
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
When Porsche makes a car that I want to be seen inside driving, I will consider.

So far, only the 917, 956, 964 make the cut.
You are in luck. A 964 costs way less than those two Prototypes.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
You are in luck. A 964 costs way less than those two Prototypes.
And some would even say the more practical choice as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

To the above

Last edited by Frosty; 04-05-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

You're welcome.
LOL . . . I owned a Porsche 20 years ago ('94 964), which was a great car, have driven many more, and have always been a big admirer. Any well-informed car aficionado shouldn't be foolish enough to disparage what a great company Porsche is and what they've accomplished.

I am not at all a brand loyal person and am constantly sampling the next new great thing. However, after several years, I am still very fond of the C7, enough so to have purchased a 2nd one. While I joined this forum 14 years ago, I took an 8-year vacation between my '06 C6 Z06, which was my first Corvette, and my first C7. Prior to my C6, I was pretty much an all German car buyer.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-06-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
I posted this in another thread about Porsche. This was my experience buying my 1989 911 Targa but it should be recognized that this was at a time when luxury car sales were in the tank because of the luxury car tax.

"It was an evening when I went to go take delivery at Heisman Porsche in Arlington VA. Dealership personnel formed a receiving line and clapped and shook my hand as I approached my new car that was displayed prominently in the showroom. A strolling violinist played in the background. When I got to the car, I was handed a bottle of Porsche champagne, flowers and a box of Godiva chocolates. Everyone clapped again as I drove the car out of the showroom. It was an unforgettable experience."

Needless to say my experience buying my 2018 Stingray was not the same. However, this car is so awesome that I could care less.
Saturn used to do the clapping thing as well, and people loved it.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
Someone already mentioned this earlier, but those of us who have been fortunate enough to own both, tend to have very positive things to say about both.

The Corvette is more than a car. It’s an experience, and a club, and cultural icon all at the same time.

Porsche is just like that too. It’s an experience, a club, and a cultural icon. They both have played a role in automotive history, Motorsports, and have a role to play in the automotive future.

No reason to dis either brand or vehicle, they both have earned their place and earned their respect, both have already stood the test of time as well.

Almost all of the negativity in this thread around Porsche is by those who haven’t tried the Porsche experiance yet. Likewise, any negativity thrown at the Vette from the Porsche forum by people who haven’t experienced the Vette via ownership isn’t really valid commentary. You cannot truly experiance either of these vehicles or brands from a single test drive, or judge them by a single dealership or sales person. They are both bigger and better than that.

Both cars have class, performance, and status. One has a better build quality in some areas. But the largest gap between them is the colossal value proposition of the Corvette.

Taking all else into account, the Corvette’s “power per dollar” value cannot and will not be touched. Add that it’s domestic as well, and count me as a very proud Corvette owner.

(Who also happens to be a very proud Porsche owner)

Well said.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

A serious question. Did you even consider buying a Porsche?
Yes, considered a Cayman (non-S) with a manual tranny. What put me off were the exorbitant prices for optional packages and the relative lack of standard features like keyless ignition. The $600 price for painted calipers on a C7 is bad enough, but for the Cayman it was $1100, and by the time I added even rudimentary options the price had jumped $20k. Also, the dealers I contacted wanted up to $575 for the doc fee, which to me is a major insult.

Anyway, I liked the GS better and that's what I got. I have no regrets.

Last edited by iclick; 04-06-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM
iced
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Yes, considered a Cayman (non-S) with a manual tranny. What put me off were the exorbitant prices for optional packages and the relative lack of standard features like keyless ignition. The $600 price for painted calipers on a C7 is bad enough, but for the Cayman it was $1100, and by the time I added even rudimentary options the price had jumped $20k. Also, the dealers I contacted wanted up to $575 for the doc fee, which to me is a major insult.

Anyway, I liked the GS better and that's what I got. I have no regrets.
No Ragrats!
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:50 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I looked at a Cayman S. The build I would have bought came to $80,000. I'm tall and not sure I can fit in it with a helmet on. And for the money, I was able to get much more car with a corvette.

Is the Corvette as well built? No. But I know that going in - and will keep a full warranty on my car - and have a great relationship with my dealer.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 PM
myred63
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

i had a few Porsche’s, last one was a 2015 911 GTS Cab.
I think they are easier to drive, but not that they drive better
than the Corvette. I sold it when i bought my 2017 Corvette GS.

I think Corvette is a better looking car than the 911s.
I was not afraid the beat the Porsche. Drove them real hard.
Porsche GTS had 430 HP that year.
I don’t beat the vette. It has move power and can get away
from you easier.
Some people say that Porsche retains value better.
It is all relative. I do not think they retain a much better
resale value. Maybe to a car dealer resale is better, but when
you have to sell, it is hard to get the value.
I am Real pleased with my GS... i do not miss Porsche at all.
I do have to say that buying experience at Chevy dealer sucked.
(Bomin in Miami) But price was good and i bought in spite of them.
It’s all good !
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by myred63:
911Hunter (04-08-2018), bgspot (04-06-2018), Steve Garrett (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM
iced
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IRMB
I looked at a Cayman S. The build I would have bought came to $80,000. I'm tall and not sure I can fit in it with a helmet on. And for the money, I was able to get much more car with a corvette.

Is the Corvette as well built? No. But I know that going in - and will keep a full warranty on my car - and have a great relationship with my dealer.
Really? you bought a corvette because of warranty and to maintain relationship with your dealer?

i probably didn't hear that right....
Old 04-06-2018, 02:39 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by iced
Really? you bought a corvette because of warranty and to maintain relationship with your dealer?

i probably didn't hear that right....
Yah, you didn't hear that right. ;-)

I said I didn't think the corvette was as well made - but I keep a good warranty on my car and a good relationship with my dealer - such that the little items that happen aren't such a big deal.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

A friend had a (new at the time) 2002 Carrera 4S that he let me borrow for a week and that launched me into German cars, where I had a string of BMWs - hoping to eventually get into a Porsche.

Years later, By the time I got down to getting about 'any car I want', I considered a Cayman S but I felt like I would regret not getting a 911. The price range I was shopping in would put me in 911 a few years older.

The Grand Sport was more bang for the buck, has phenominal roadholding grip and has a more raw experience. I really wanted the sound of a NA V8 and I had always been a Corvette fan before my foray into Gemran cars. Ultimately it was the lower repair costs, more bang for the buck and that I wanted something that was more raw and less refined since this is a weekend only car for me.

ANd no, I don't regret getting a Z06. Great car but personally I'm never going to need more than 460 horespower.

Last edited by Soonere39; 04-06-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Soonere39:
911Hunter (04-08-2018), ElGreco53 (04-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Did you consider a Porsche?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:50 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, but cost and looks made the decision. If you've got the means to afford a P-car, for me it would be a 991.2 911 Turbo; at 140K for a used 2015 and the associated maintenance, well, that's a bit eye watering. Kudos if you have one, and I can't fault the 911 at all; the 991.2s are even decent looking.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:04 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

If a marketing chap asked me, I would use descriptors such as refined, distinguished, European, panache, to describe the lines of Porsche while I would use descriptors like race, raw, brash, American, powerful on the C7. Different images are invoked.

Last edited by Frosty; 04-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:07 AM
ajcjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 997 P car and always wanted one as a kid. I raced a scca srf but recently sold it and was looking for a reliable fun track car (ill rent a race car once in a while), instarted looking at used gt3 porsches but then started reading the servicing they need. Everything is big money.

I also just picked up a dodge durango rt and listening to the hemi has me wanting american muscle.

My concerns w a newer style vette are reliability, do they become rattle boxes and lastly the targa center removable roof and how that affects safety and handling.

Curious what vette owners think of the newer mustangs and camaros as far as performance for the money.

Quick Reply: Did you consider a Porsche?