Sponsored by:

My C7 servicing experience with Chevy vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:21 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
So what is the solution since you don't like this idea? Status quo?
As a retailer, the name of the game is "Show me the money"! You are there to get a return on your investment and to make a living. Some folks are confusing buying a $100,000 car with somebody making a large profit. In truth, in many cases you can make more selling an Impala for $35,000 than a Corvette.

Within 100 miles of my house you can find maybe three Porsche dealers. You can also find probably 100 Chevrolet dealers who could potentially sell you a Corvette. As many threads as there are here about poor service, there are more threads about buying and getting a discount. Many even go so far as to buy thousands of miles away and having them shipped.

If you were the retailer, are you going to go out of your way to the care of the Impala buyer you made a profit from, financed the car, sold a warranty to or the Corvette guy who shopped the world and bought somewhere else? On the other hand, the European dealer has to compete with a very limited number of other retailers with his product. The average gross profit per unit sold by those dealers far exceeds that of a Chevrolet dealer regardless of list price.

Those are just the facts of life among many other facts that affect the Corvette market. The solution is to think GOD you can buy such a high performance car so readily, so cheaply, and get used to paying for a rental and bring your own potato chips!
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-12-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
^^^ This. Sums it up for me as well. And I grew up a GM man and own 8 GMs right now, but am happy to admit they're simply terrible at some dealerships.
Agree completely!!!

My local dealership sucks and that opinion is fairly consistent among Corvette owners in this area. The reputation (whether deserved or not) of many Chevy dealers almost made me buy another Porsche. Fortunately not all the Chevy dealerships are lousy and I have found one that I can trust that is still a drive-able distance.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:57 AM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Not my experience with my Chevy dealer. Took my new Chevy Cruze to get serviced and they treated me like I was in a Vette. The service manager introduced me to the person that would be working on my vehicle, he too was courteous. This will be the place I take my '18 GS to. I think it's hit and miss like all franchises. I go to a Outback restaurant near my house and it's killer, I won't go to the Outback near my parents house 30 miles away as it is a ****-box and the food which is supposedly from the same vendor somehow sucks?

Last edited by GTRSOLO; 03-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Frosty (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
As a retailer, the name of the game is "Show me the money"! You are there to get a return on your investment and to make a living. Some folks are confusing buying a $100,000 car with somebody making a large profit. In truth, in many cases you can make more selling an Impala for $35,000 than a Corvette.

Within 100 miles of my house you can find maybe three Porsche dealers. You can also find probably 100 Chevrolet dealers who could potentially sell you a Corvette. As many threads as there are here about poor service, there are more threads about buying and getting a discount. Many even go so far as to buy thousands of miles away and having them shipped.

If you were the retailer, are you going to go out of your way to the care of the Impala buyer you made a profit from, financed the car, sold a warranty to or the Corvette guy who shopped the world and bought somewhere else? On the other hand, the European dealer has to compete with a very limited number of other retailers with his product. The average gross profit per unit sold by those dealers far exceeds that of a Chevrolet dealer regardless of list price.

Those are just the facts of life among many other facts that affect the Corvette market. The solution is to think GOD you can buy such a high performance car so readily, so cheaply, and get used to paying for a rental and bring your own potato chips!
I don't hear a solution for any change so you must be in the camp of accept the status quo cause you got a hell of a car for not much money as justification.

I really don't see why I should be willing to accept an "either or" situation. I want a great car at market price and I also want great after sales product support. I don't buy the notion that one should have to settle for mediocrity on any aspect of luxury sports car ownership.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:08 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Since 1991 I have owned 11 Vettes (currently a 2016 C7) 2 Ferraris, 2 Porsches, a Mini Cooper S and a Viper. The only dealers that I have experienced sub standard service was the Mini (BMW) dealer and the Dodge dealer. I have never had a problem with the service department of a Chevy dealer, and I have used 3 in my area. My biggest gripe is that the dealer charged almost $400.00 for a general service for my 2013 Porsche Boxster S, (and I had to leave the car) and the Chevy dealer charged $122.00 for the same service on my C7, and it took less than 1 hour. No, I have zero complaints with Chevy service.
ptran00 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTRSOLO
Not my experience with my Chevy dealer. Took my new Chevy Cruze to get serviced and they treated me like I was in a Vette. The service manager introduced me to the person that would be working on my vehicle, he too was courteous. This will be the place I take my '18 GS to. I think it's hit and miss like all franchises. I go to a Outback restaurant near my house and it's killer, I won't go to the Outback near my parents house 30 miles away as it is a ****-box and the food which is supposedly from the same vendor somehow sucks?
I know exactly what you mean because I have experienced it with Outback as well. All one can do is exactly what you say, take your business elsewhere. Unfortunately many people won't or can't be bothered to do that and the restaurant has no incentive to get things right. And so it goes until it gets really bad and the franchise folds.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Since 1991 I have owned 11 Vettes (currently a 2016 C7) 2 Ferraris, 2 Porsches, a Mini Cooper S and a Viper. The only dealers that I have experienced sub standard service was the Mini (BMW) dealer and the Dodge dealer. I have never had a problem with the service department of a Chevy dealer, and I have used 3 in my area. My biggest gripe is that the dealer charged almost $400.00 for a general service for my 2013 Porsche Boxster S, (and I had to leave the car) and the Chevy dealer charged $122.00 for the same service on my C7, and it took less than 1 hour. No, I have zero complaints with Chevy service.
Your one of the lucky ones. I have found a great Chevy dealership as well, owned by a well known car enthusiast and staffed by people who love where they work and are proud of it. My local dealership that is 6 miles away is not that way. I am guessing its because they don't have any local competition. But I won't succumb so I drive the extra 30 miles.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I don't hear a solution for any change so you must be in the camp of accept the status quo cause you got a hell of a car for not much money as justification.
Unless you have unlimited funds, everything is a compromise -- EVERYTHING. Sorry, I know it isn't paradise, but that's the way this world works. You can have it all, but few are willing or able to pay the price. This is Real Life 101 stuff.

I really don't see why I should be willing to accept an "either or" situation. I want a great car at market price and I also want great after sales product support. I don't buy the notion that one should have to settle for mediocrity on any aspect of luxury sports car ownership.
Again, you don't have to accept it. Pony up the bucks and you can have everything. There are lots of 'great cars' on the market, but extremely few choices if you want the C7's performance/price level.

For the performance, the C7 is FAR BELOW "Market Price" -- THAT is the compromise. You get supercar performance for a far-below-market price, but you have to deal with GM's business practices that are erratic from dealer to dealer.

But, again, you are correct -- you don't HAVE to accept anything. You (and everyone really) have at least 4 choices:
* You can visit the GM dealer of your choice and accept their practices, or
* You can refuse to buy anything further from GM on principle, or
* You can open your own Chevy dealership and run it the way you think it "should" be, or
* You can gripe all over the interwebs, hoping to shout-down and social-shame GM into changing their practices.

What you CAN'T do is dictate how anyone HAS to run their own business.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,008 Posts

It really is OK to be unreasonable, just not practical. Here though is a clue, the dealer really could not care less what you want unless you are willing to pay for it and he can make money by doing it!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Anecdotal experiences will vary, of course. I'm fortunate to be pleased both with my Chevy dealer and with my Porsche dealer; I treat the people there with respect and I am treated with respect, as well as quality service, and over the years I've become friendly with some. I, too, have had bad (even horrendous) service elsewhere in the past. And, on the Porsche forums, I can assure you there are negative stories about service experiences at Porsche dealers, as well.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
It really is OK to be unreasonable, just not practical. Here though is a clue, the dealer really could not care less what you want unless you are willing to pay for it and he can make money by doing it!
You guys seem to think I am naive. I fully understand and embrace capitalism and I sure know that profit is the bottom line that drives business decisions. If you would re-read all my posts in this thread you would see that what I am arguing is that given the situation with these Corvettes where there are clearly good dealerships and bad dealerships, don't give your business to a bad dealership. Do your research. Don't settle and find a good one to reward with your business, even though it may be inconvenient and a hassle to go out of your way.

You do not do anyone any good by not expecting excellent service and treatment, other than keeping the mediocre dealership in business. While that may not hurt a lousy Chevy dealership very much because Corvettes may only represent a very small part of their business (i.e. they don't really care if they lose your business), at least you can get your car fixed properly, timely, and be treated as a valued customer rather than as a POS that many on this forum claim to have been treated. Plus you are rewarding the good performing dealership.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:30 AM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by itch808
I recently took my C7 in for the GM mag ride update. I am normally a DIYer and enjoy doing any and all of my own work. I've had to take my 1st Gen Cayman S in to the dealership before. The differences in experiences are vastly different considering the original sticker prices for both vehicles are similar (~$70k). Now my C7 is a 2014 and the Cayman is a 2007. Despite the age difference, what I was expecting was not what happened.

Me: Walks in...
Chevy: Man in blue shirt looking at his phone (looked like he was on FB/sports/etc) looks up..."What are you here for?"
Porsche: Man in suit approaching me..."How may we help you out today?"

Me: I am here for XYZ...
Chevy: "I can't find you here, who did you talk to?" (Shows him confirmation phone call, luckily recalls name of person I spoke with)
Porsche: "Sure thing, let me check on that for you."

Me: How long would this take because I may need a loaner to get to work...
Chevy: "Well, these things can take all day sometime. The woman who runs enterprise may be able to get you a car, but she won't be in for another 30mins if you're lucky."
Porsche: "I'll have to check with our mechanic, but we can get you a loaner no problem. How about a new Macan?"

Finale..
Chevy: Walks me out to a Malibu covered in ice, woman scrapes the windows half assed, still can't see out the windows.
Porsche: Macan, newer than my vehicle being serviced, is driven up to the front, warm, leather, nice!

I feel like its these intangibles that get people buying cars that aren't American. Despite my "older" Cayman, the experience made me want to come back. And I normally dread having to deal with servicing my car at the dealer. The newer vehicle given to me from Porsche made me want to buy in to a newer car. Chevy's pathetic Malibu made me want to turn around and give it back. IMO, American companies need to change their mindset if they want to keep selling vehicles. Thoughts?
I would think that the Corvette is more reliable than the Porsche so that a Corvette owner doesn't have to go through the service experience as often.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

^^^Not true according to JD Power.
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Porsche/911--Speedster/2017
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Chevrolet/Corvette/2017
Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Notice BTW that these are based on Power's IQ (Initial Quality) ratings--customer problems reported in the first 90 days of ownership.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I was responding to the previous post where ptran00 thinks the Corvette is more reliable than a Porsche. I'm wondering where he got his information. Consumer Reports did rank Porsche at the top of the list in its category and Corvette fell below that. We can go on forever about CR being an anti-American liberal tool or owned by the Japanese (as mentioned in another thread) but the facts are out there that Porsche is more reliable.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by itch808
I recently took my C7 in for the GM mag ride update. I am normally a DIYer and enjoy doing any and all of my own work. I've had to take my 1st Gen Cayman S in to the dealership before. The differences in experiences are vastly different considering the original sticker prices for both vehicles are similar (~$70k). Now my C7 is a 2014 and the Cayman is a 2007. Despite the age difference, what I was expecting was not what happened.

Me: Walks in...
Chevy: Man in blue shirt looking at his phone (looked like he was on FB/sports/etc) looks up..."What are you here for?"
Porsche: Man in suit approaching me..."How may we help you out today?"

Me: I am here for XYZ...
Chevy: "I can't find you here, who did you talk to?" (Shows him confirmation phone call, luckily recalls name of person I spoke with)
Porsche: "Sure thing, let me check on that for you."

Me: How long would this take because I may need a loaner to get to work...
Chevy: "Well, these things can take all day sometime. The woman who runs enterprise may be able to get you a car, but she won't be in for another 30mins if you're lucky."
Porsche: "I'll have to check with our mechanic, but we can get you a loaner no problem. How about a new Macan?"

Finale..
Chevy: Walks me out to a Malibu covered in ice, woman scrapes the windows half assed, still can't see out the windows.
Porsche: Macan, newer than my vehicle being serviced, is driven up to the front, warm, leather, nice!

I feel like its these intangibles that get people buying cars that aren't American. Despite my "older" Cayman, the experience made me want to come back. And I normally dread having to deal with servicing my car at the dealer. The newer vehicle given to me from Porsche made me want to buy in to a newer car. Chevy's pathetic Malibu made me want to turn around and give it back. IMO, American companies need to change their mindset if they want to keep selling vehicles. Thoughts?
You do get what you pay for. If the Corvette were a Porsche, base prices would start in the $80k+ range.

I do admit it is nice when visiting an Audi or BMW dealer and it does make you feel like a valued customer as well as helps save time having to go through the same process every US car manufacturer dealership puts you through. Let’s be honest, this behavior isn’t limited to Chevy dealerships.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

OP. I am sorry to read of your poor experience at a GM dealer.

My experience with my local dealer during the past 21 years of them servicing my Vettes has been nothing but excellent.

I have always been greeted in a prompt and professional manner. The work they have performed has always been very good. The only issue I have had with them is they damaged three wheels when putting new tires on my car. They replaced the wheels without any questions.

I always highly recommend my dealer's service department to friends and family.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 servicing experience with Chevy vs Porsche

Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

With all this discussion about the difference between the buying and service experiences between Porsche and Corvette, I just have to describe my last Porsche purchase. It was 1989 and the last year they hand made the 911. I special ordered a 911 Targa that was a rather rare color called Coral Metallic which was the color of white zinfandel wine. There were only four cars painted that color in the US.

It was an evening when I went to go take delivery at Heisman Porsche in Arlington VA. Dealership personnel formed a receiving line and clapped and shook my hand as I approached my new car that was displayed prominently in the showroom. A strolling violinist played in the background. When I got to the car, I was handed a bottle of Porsche champagne, flowers and a box of Godiva chocolates. Everyone clapped again as I drove the car out of the showroom. It was an unforgettable experience.

I tried to do the Museum delivery on my ordered 2018 so it would be special, but unfortunately the uncertainty of when it would be delivered made it difficult to plan for, so I had a courtesy delivery in Orlando. It was as expected, an OK experience that went well, but not anything special like that Porsche delivery.

I sincerely doubt that any Porsche dealerships have anything close to what I experienced back in 1989. Times change and it is a pity.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

GM has to do better with customer service. I agree with the OP. When I had me first oil change, the techs. did not put the paper cover over my floor board before entering my vehicle I just spent over 100k. Note, he had on work boots that probably stepped on oil or other industrial fluids at some point. Further, one of the techs. who was about 250lbs, rested his arms on the fenders as he talked with another tech who was performing the work. I immediately addressed this with his fat *** since no one else seemed to care. I complain to the manager who was useless. He stated they treated all customer vehicles the same regardless of the vehicle's cost/value. Enough said. I never went back there. Customer service has declined tremendously in other service industries as well. Some people don't take proud in their work and dealers fail to implement policies that motivate employees to exercise top-tier customer service.

Cadillac and Lexus provide the best service based on my experience.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mister Big
I was responding to the previous post where ptran00 thinks the Corvette is more reliable than a Porsche. I'm wondering where he got his information. Consumer Reports did rank Porsche at the top of the list in its category and Corvette fell below that. We can go on forever about CR being an anti-American liberal tool or owned by the Japanese (as mentioned in another thread) but the facts are out there that Porsche is more reliable.
I know plenty of people who have had reliability issues with current Porsches. One friend finally traded his 3 year old Carrera in because it had a starting issues that the dealership could never fix.

I really suspect that these initial quality survey data reflect how particular and critical owners are. I tend to believe that when one spends the big bucks for a car and/or whether the owners are enthusiasts play into the amount of quality issues documented. In other words, Porsche and Corvette owners tend to the picky side on these surveys. It may just mean that Corvette owners are even more super critical than Porsche owners. To me the most important data is on long term reliability. How do our Corvette models compare to Porsche models on that? In terms of price point, I would consider the Stingray as comparable to the Cayman and the ZO6 would be comparable to the Carrera.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: My C7 servicing experience with Chevy vs Porsche