C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What .45 small handgun will fit behind the C7 nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by shootervince
The proper way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked. That should get all you gun experts foaming at the mouth.

Condition 1 carry. I prefer Condition 0 carry for a 1911
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm no expert, but it would seem rather irresponsible to use a loaded firearm as a prop for photo.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:38 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TyBoo
I'm no expert, but it would seem rather irresponsible to use a loaded firearm as a prop for photo.

Um, no, there is not any evidence of irresponsibility to show a loaded firearm in a picture. I carry at Level 1 at all times. Were I to take my weapon out of the holster for a picture, it would:

Have a full magazine in the weapon
Have a round in the chamber
Have the hammer cocked

The only thing stopping my weapon from firing is:

The hilt safety needs to be squeezed
The thumb safety needs to be released
My finger needs to depress the trigger.

All 3 items are done rather quickly.

My .45 Kimber UC II will fit in the console as I described it's state of readiness but it will NOT fit the Cubby behind the NAV screen.
Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-25-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen. I know how to carry a 1911.

For that picture, I took the pistol out of the gun safe, unloaded and cleared it completely then carried it to the garage to stage the photo. I did not feel very threatened by anyone in my house at the time, so I thought it best to take the weapon to its safest condition. I would hope that the experts would think to do the same. I suppose I could have pulled the hammer back, but I wasn't trying to impress anyone.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Have a full magazine in the weapon
Have a round in the chamber
Have the hammer cocked
The only thing stopping my weapon from firing is:
The hilt safety needs to be squeezed
The thumb safety needs to be released
My finger needs to depress the trigger.
All 3 items are done rather quickly.
My .45 Kimber UC II will fit in the console as I described it's state of readiness but it will NOT fit the Cubby behind the NAV screen. Elmer
Not impressed with this solution. Even in combat, when we go red (round in chamber, safety on) we don't leave hammer cocked. I'm more of a fan of the double action/single action, knowing that first round will be double action, then continuing on in normal single action function. This leaves the hammer down, reducing negligent discharge. I prefer hammerless as well, keeping that hammer from snagging on anything. My go to: SW M&P Shield 9mm and SCCY CPX2 9mm. Both of these are DAO, no need for safety switch on fully chambered, full magazine.
If you trained with your solution and find it natural, do whatchya gotta do. I've trained both ways and the DAO pistols seemed to be a bit more rugged and a bit of piece of mind that when I grab it (even with accidental finger on trigger), no NDs.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

That's why there are 2 sides to the street. You can go your way and I can go mine!

Elmer
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by shootervince
The proper way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked. That should get all you gun experts foaming at the mouth.
Define proper.

Proper for fastest to first round off?
Proper for minimizing negligent discharge?

Depends what you want to do. As for me, my grandpappy wasn't even born until 1915, so I prefer the Beretta 92's action.

But if we could solve the 1911 debates we could also solve chrome wheels, stick vs manual, and so on... not gonna happen here!

I suppose I could have pulled the hammer back, but I wasn't trying to impress anyone.
Hey, at least it wasn't gold plated and shown next to fat stacks of 100s and Cosmo $1000 chips.

And I'll throw this in because it's funny if you have kids (or ever were a kid). As in you can't hide it:

Last edited by davepl; 02-25-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:35 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olden Slowe

Condition 1 carry. I prefer Condition 0 carry for a 1911
I usually do Condition 1 or 0 with my 1911. Though my normal carry is my Glock 20, so I just rely on knowing not to place my finger inside the guard unless I want it to go bang.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 AM
51 stovebolt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an (SA) XD-40 subcompact that fits. But it is always a worry that it will shift and become lodged where the screen will not function. And of course this is without the extended mag installed.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Here is what I found out from this thread:

Corvette owners are good people who believe in the 2nd amendment, freedom and liberty. We are in charge of our own destiny. Government is only here to guarantee our liberty, and our rights and insure that no one takes anting away from us, not to coddle us.

Who is Government? Just other people (Maybe your neighbors) who have gained power from a bureaucracy that in most cases we did not ask for. Each day that Congress is in session, we lose more of our liberty.

God Bless America.

Let's say you wanted to weaken American democracy. How'd you do it?

1) ban free speech ---political correct speech in play now plus Social media already doing it.

2) disarm the country --- They are working on it now
3) undermine families and churches --Already in play
4) Empower unelected bureaucrats. --- Yep, already in play.

So what do we do about it? _---Keep our Constitution in tact and hold a Article 5 convention of the states. Remove the swamp.

Thanks guys, good talking to you

Lou Gigliotti

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 02-27-2018 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dprestidge (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM
LG Motorsports

I prefer my 9mm Glock 43 as my CHL carry.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

just put an AK 47 in the hatch, you will be ok in case there is someone out shooting up the towns and schools.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:45 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Here is what I found out from this thread:

Corvette owners are good people who believe in the 2nd amendment, freedom and liberty. We are in charge of our own destiny. Government is only here to guarantee our liberty, and our rights and insure that no one takes anting away from us, not to coddle us.

Who is Government? Just other people (Maybe your neighbors) who have gained power from a bureaucracy that in most cases we did not ask for. Each day that Congress is in session, we lose more of our liberty.

God Bless America.

Let's say you wanted to weaken American democracy. How'd you do it?

1) ban free speech ---political correct speech in play now plus Social media already doing it.

2) disarm the country --- They are working on it now
3) undermine families and churches --Already in play
4) Empower unelected bureaucrats. --- Yep, already in play.

So what do we do about it? _---Keep our Constitution in tact and hold a Article 5 convention of the states. Remove the swamp.

Thanks guys, good talking to you

Lou Gigliotti
What I found out from this thread is nothing, because what i have read here, for the most part, is information that I already know, being that most people who have a love affair with guns are completely uninformed, and are happy to remain that way.
1. Ban free speech? Please show me examples of this. of course you can't.
2. THEY are working on disarming the country? Who is THEY and how is this being done? I heard this crap when President Obama was in office and when Hillary was running for president. But not one person can produce a quote from either regarding disarming the country.

Do you realize that over 80,000 people a year are shot in this country, and almost 70% of all of the shootings are by handguns? No one holding political office or running for political office is trying to disarm the country. However, many folks are trying to make it more safe by passing sane firearm laws and regulations. Part of sanity is not keeping a loaded handgun in your car. If one has the intelligence to give the issue thought, one must conclude that loaded guns in a vehicle or on one's person keeps us less safe. Statistics prove this to be true. Check it out. I am thankful to live in a state where the average Joe cannot carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle or on his/her person. The last thing i want to do is drive down the road knowing that the pissed off dude next to me has a loaded gun in their car. Of course, many folks do, but because the penalties are severe if caught with a loaded gun in one's vehicle, far fewer folks risk carrying a loaded gun in their vehicle where I live.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Sorry you learned nothing. I learned what .45s will fit and won't fit in the cubby. I learned the a full sized 1911 will fit nicely in the console. I learned that most people will take their gun with them when they leave the car. I learned that a lot of guys on here have a shitload of rifles in their stash.

So, hopefully the OP has an idea of what might work in the cubby for him!

You have a great day!

Elmer
Olden Slowe (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
What I found out from this thread is nothing, because what i have read here, for the most part, is information that I already know, being that most people who have a love affair with guns are completely uninformed, and are happy to remain that way.
2. THEY are working on disarming the country? Who is THEY and how is this being done? I heard this crap when President Obama was in office and when Hillary was running for president. But not one person can produce a quote from either regarding disarming the country.

Do you realize that over 80,000 people a year are shot in this country, and almost 70% of all of the shootings are by handguns? No one holding political office or running for political office is trying to disarm the country. However, many folks are trying to make it more safe by passing sane firearm laws and regulations. Part of sanity is not keeping a loaded handgun in your car. If one has the intelligence to give the issue thought, one must conclude that loaded guns in a vehicle or on one's person keeps us less safe. Statistics prove this to be true. Check it out. I am thankful to live in a state where the average Joe cannot carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle or on his/her person. The last thing i want to do is drive down the road knowing that the pissed off dude next to me has a loaded gun in their car. Of course, many folks do, but because the penalties are severe if caught with a loaded gun in one's vehicle, far fewer folks risk carrying a loaded gun in their vehicle where I live.
Free speech ban is happening today in All of Social media, either openly or behind the curtain.

Disarming? Like I said, they are working on it. THEY= Government and bureaucrats and a vocal minority of people pushing for this, it is underway.

Ronnie, I will start with this article

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php

63% of gun deaths are Suicides. Do you really think the lack of a gun would stop suicides? Where there is a will there is a way.

So that brings the number down to around 25,000 deaths by gun per year.
NOW if you take out gang violence in the inner cities like Chicago, NY, Baltimore and the border towns along the Mexico border, you are down to a very small number. NONE of these would be prevented by any gun law.

Mexico already has a ban on guns, they are illegal in Mexico. How is that working out?

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011. That means that there were just 2,200 non gang-related firearm murders in both years in a country of over 300 million people and 250 million guns.

Now it is not illegal in around 40 states to have a loaded gun in your possession with a CHL license. Car jackings in Florida were so prevalent that they made it legal to have a gun in your car and today Car Jacking is almost non existent.

"Solve the problem of gang violence, and a huge chunk of the gun homicide and violence problem is solved. And what national gun control measures would slow the gang violence problem, when local gun control laws have failed in cities like Chicago? If politicians were really worried about gun deaths, wouldn't they be specifically targeting where a majority of the problems exist?" quote from article,

So what I suggest for you is to honor our constitution and stay in your state that limits the right to bear arms and enjoy your Corvette like the rest of us.
The following 6 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
dprestidge (02-27-2018), jmmoh (02-28-2018), lancekl (03-04-2018), madrob2020 (02-27-2018), MontanaBob (02-27-2018), Olden Slowe (02-28-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:26 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

63% of gun deaths are Suicides. Do you really think the lack of a gun would stop suicides? Where there is a will there is a way.
Stop? No. Reduce? You bet. There's a reason why cops have the highest suicide rate and it's not (just) the job stress, it's the gun.

Tylenol is one thing but suicide attempts by firearm rarely fail, that's all. So the widespread availability of guns does increase suicide deaths.

Then again, Canada has a very high rate of long gun ownership so they'd have the same problem. And I know several people up there that committed suicide with hunting rifles, nothing special about a handgun. You can't really legislate it away entirely.

In other aspects this thread is getting very tinfoil hatty!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:07 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Free speech ban is happening today in All of Social media, either openly or behind the curtain.

Disarming? Like I said, they are working on it. THEY= Government and bureaucrats and a vocal minority of people pushing for this, it is underway.

NOW if you take out gang violence in the inner cities like Chicago, NY, Baltimore and the border towns along the Mexico border, you are down to a very small number. NONE of these would be prevented by any gun law.

Mexico already has a ban on guns, they are illegal in Mexico. How is that working out?

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011. That means that there were just 2,200 non gang-related firearm murders in both years in a country of over 300 million people and 250 million guns.

Now it is not illegal in around 40 states to have a loaded gun in your possession with a CHL license. Car jackings in Florida were so prevalent that they made it legal to have a gun in your car and today Car Jacking is almost non existent.

"Solve the problem of gang violence, and a huge chunk of the gun homicide and violence problem is solved. And what national gun control measures would slow the gang violence problem, when local gun control laws have failed in cities like Chicago? If politicians were really worried about gun deaths, wouldn't they be specifically targeting where a majority of the problems exist?" quote from article,

So what I suggest for you is to honor our constitution and stay in your state that limits the right to bear arms and enjoy your Corvette like the rest of us.
Well said Lou, and I bet more deaths are caused heart disease than guns. So let's ban spoons because the spoon made me fat. It's easier to blame an inanimate object than for people to take responsibility.
LG Motorsports (02-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What .45 small handgun will fit behind the C7 nav screen?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM
MontanaBob
Instructor

Accurate response! The problem is that, in my experience, it is impossible to change the mind of an anti-gun person. They have swallowed the anti-Second Amendment crowd's line completely.

The only portion of your answer with which I have an issue is the total number of firearms in private hands. That number probably comes from those who will admit toowning a firearm or to only owning a couple, when in fact, they have many. My gut feel is that the actual number is probably over 600,000,000. From my experience, very few firearms are discarded or scrapped, hence my much higher number. Just my opinion.

Montana Bob

Last edited by MontanaBob; 02-28-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 AM
Olden Slowe
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Stop? No. Reduce? You bet. There's a reason why cops have the highest suicide rate
According to the cdc the above is wrong.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

You do realize that it is against the law to murder someone don't you? Maybe we should try something different other than making another law to stop murders.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-01-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: What .45 small handgun will fit behind the C7 nav screen?