Sponsored by:

Sideskirts....getting tired of them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Inferno18
I'm thinking about getting the side skirts for my Stingray. One for the look and two for the added protection. Do you guys with side skirts find that you catch them with one or both of your feet as you get out of the car. Do you have to consciously step further out to prevent hitting them? Thanks.
Not once.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm thinking about getting the side skirts for my Stingray. One for the look and two for the added protection. Do you guys with side skirts find that you catch them with one or both of your feet as you get out of the car. Do you have to consciously step further out to prevent hitting them? Thanks.
I’m 6’ tall and 180lbs and am in good shape, and find them a PITA on my GS. My Stingray was much easier to get in and out. The answer to both of your questions for me is yes.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default at first

But I got the stage one splitter and side skirts and they are no problem; I admit being cautious as I get in but they are soft (cheap) black plastic and handle my occasional "foot fault" with aplomb.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
But I got the stage one splitter and side skirts and they are no problem; I admit being cautious as I get in but they are soft (cheap) black plastic and handle my occasional "foot fault" with aplomb.
I've nicked mine several times with my heal, it just flexes with no problem. However, when I installed them, I made sure all fasteners were under the chassis....none in the paint like others have mentioned. The key is to use the right fasteners in the right places...it's tricky but a solid attachment is doable. I won't do a mod if it is not reversible...for trade-in dealers prefer stock vehicles...I am the prodigy of parents who went through the Depression.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Just yesterday, I put the cheap 150.00 ABS skirts on my Stingray. Unpainted they match all of the other ABS which Chevy installs. On my black car the unpainted black ABS skirts look OK.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:46 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have a buddy that bought a 16 Z06 right after I bought mine. We both have about 6000 miles. Mine has skirts and stage 2 aero. His has Stage 1 and no skirts. He is already looking at a repaint. No xPel or other wrap and his car has terrible pitting.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,323 Likes on 993 Posts

It takes a real old guy to see side splitters as "running boards".
Old 02-05-2018, 04:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,654 Likes on 6,651 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
It takes a real old guy to see side splitters as "running boards".
Even this 75 year old guy knows the difference between side skirts and running boards! You can step on the rubber coated steel Running Boards on my ‘34 but not the “Side Skirts” on my Z51 or Grand Sport!

That said, when I got my 2014 Z51, installed GM splash guards. Rear ones worked but fronts of little help in keeping the GM plastic protection from getting many marks from the tires throwing pebbles. Installed full length side skirts and all marking stopped! In a few months when I was sure that worked, removed the GM now discolored on the edges and marked up plastic. When I sold the car 3 years later the rocker panels looked new.

When I ordered the Grand Sport included Stage 2 aero option package to get full length carbon fiber side skirts, not just the 3/4 length plastic ones. I can hear the pebbles hit the underside of my side skirts as they did in my 2014. In 9 months not a mark on the rocker panels or the rear fender brake ducts! “Form Follows Fuction,” look great to me!

Of note, near my home have a gravel road that intersects our paved road. Lots of small gravel pulled onto our road. Sounds like a tambourine when I pass. But all hitting only the underside of the side skirts! On the narrow roads in our rural area, where there is a small shoulder it has some gravel that also can get onto the pavement. Side skirts prevent any rocker panel damage.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-05-2018 at 05:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
movinlow (02-09-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Do you guys with side skirts find that you catch them with one or both of your feet as you get out of the car. Do you have to consciously step further out to prevent hitting them? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Concerned about my wife stepping on them when getting out of the car or she ended up disliking our road trips because side skirts would make it more differcult to get in/out.
Can't say that I even notice them getting in or out of the car, so no extra effort or stepping further out.
No one who has been in the car has ever hit them either - although the shortest of those would be my 10 year old nephew who is maybe 4'10".
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Id keep them on 1 to me they look better and 2 they protect the car its a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 PM
jmmoh
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Even this 75 year old guy knows the difference between side skirts and running boards! You can step on the rubber coated steel Running Boards on my ‘34 but not the “Side Skirts” on my Z51 or Grand Sport!

That said, when I got my 2014 Z51, installed GM splash guards. Rear ones worked but fronts of little help in keeping the GM plastic protection from getting many marks from the tires throwing pebbles. Installed full length side skirts and all marking stopped! In a few months when I was sure that worked, removed the GM now discolored on the edges and marked up plastic. When I sold the car 3 years later the rocker panels looked new.

When I ordered the Grand Sport included Stage 2 aero option package to get full length carbon fiber side skirts, not just the 3/4 length plastic ones. I can hear the pebbles hit the underside of my side skirts as they did in my 2014. In 9 months not a mark on the rocker panels or the rear fender brake ducts! “Form Follows Fuction,” look great to me!

Of note, near my home have a gravel road that intersects our paved road. Lots of small gravel pulled onto our road. Sounds like a tambourine when I pass. But all hitting only the underside of the side skirts! On the narrow roads in our rural area, where there is a small shoulder it has some gravel that also can get onto the pavement. Side skirts prevent any rocker panel damage.

Nice 34
The following 2 users liked this post by jmmoh:
frankb (02-09-2018), JerryU (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Most certainly not tired of them . Debating to change my carbon flash ones for carbon fiber ones.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,654 Likes on 6,651 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Most certainly not tired of them . Debating to change my carbon flash ones for carbon fiber ones.
I knew I wanted full length side skirts for my Grand Sport and thought I might just add aftermarket rather than pay GM $2995 for the Stage 2 Aero option. Those are Carbon Fiber painted carbon flash as is the accompanying splitter. Since I had real carbon fiber skirts on my 2014 wanted the extra strength of CF in case I or a passenger inadvertently brushed against them when exiting!

Was not going to get caught in the "visual carbon fiber" as I did in my 2014 C7! Can get that from GM for $3995. After looking at aftermarket prices for carbon flash painted carbon fiber decided the GM option was about the same price and the dealer would install. Watching the C7 Tech drill the 13 holes per side then install the rivets, it was a fair price.

The 2014 started with the OEM visual roof, cost $1995. Then needed side skirts for rocker panel protection so got matching visible CF side skirts that won a SEMA Award from LG Motorsports, ~$1800. Had not planned on a splitter but with side skirts needed something so bought a visible carbon fiber composite splitter with side plates for ~$700. Then that chrome grill looked funny with the other CF and with the investment already, wanted real CF not tape! Another $250. Then what the heck LG Motorsports had a real CF hood vent, another $300!

It adds up quickly!

Once you start - Visible Carbon Fiber cost adds up! It helped sell the car BUT no way you could recover the cost!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-08-2018 at 09:07 PM.
movinlow (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,151 Likes on 879 Posts

I'm sure I'm in the minority, though I like the look of the Stingray clean, with no extra splitter or side skirts. It just makes the design look more cluttered to me.

As far as road rash or issues, I have 30k, drive in all kinds of weather, and have had zero issues with road damage cause I don't have them.
$$$frumnuttin' (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I have a Stingray without side-skirts. The car has 56,000 miles on it. The only marks I have on the side of the car are on the plastic film in front of the rear wheels. Nothing went through to the paint Not a mark on anything else on the side. If I had a GS or a Z06 I would have them or Xpel in the prone to chip areas on the side.
movinlow (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Would be kinda nice if you could just snap them in when you want and push on a few release pins when you want to remove them. Like removing the top on the coupe. Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Just yesterday, I put the cheap 150.00 ABS skirts on my Stingray. Unpainted they match all of the other ABS which Chevy installs. On my black car the unpainted black ABS skirts look OK.
Any pictures of the $150 unpainted skirts installed? I'm considering getting a set but I'm on the fence if I want them or not on the Stingray. I have a "poverty" splitter installed and was wondering how close the unpainted ones match the colour of the splitter.

Thanks.

Last edited by i3kc; 02-09-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sideskirts....getting tired of them?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a 2016 Z06 set up with Carbon Flash side skirts, and like the look and the assurance they give me that I don't have to worry about pitted rocker panels and rear cooling ducts.

It depends on what type of roads you are driving on and how clean and free of debris they are --- but all you need to do is check the underside of the side skirt before you do anything (like remove them) to convince yourself that they should stay.
JerryU (02-09-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:04 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Would be kinda nice if you could just snap them in when you want and push on a few release pins when you want to remove them. Like removing the top on the coupe. Just a thought.
I did just that, except for 2 screws that were part of the car originally.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by spireland
I'm sure I'm in the minority, though I like the look of the Stingray clean, with no extra splitter or side skirts. It just makes the design look more cluttered to me.

As far as road rash or issues, I have 30k, drive in all kinds of weather, and have had zero issues with road damage cause I don't have them.
all kinds of weather? you are in San Francisco, right?

Quick Reply: Sideskirts....getting tired of them?