C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying your car - is it worth the dollars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 PM
BaconWrappedSushi
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by walker3
After you spend the money to modify your car - and you think about it after a while - is it worth it at the end?
- under hood painting,
- increasing HP
- changing the steering wheel, etc.
-

do you expect to get your money back when you sell or expect a lost and do it for your own enjoyment?

I will start - I don't expect to get my money back so I do what pleases me - so I do limit what I modify
From a cost perspective? Never. The prior owner of my car had a solid $1k to $1.5k in exterior mods AND an extra set of tires. I would say he did "OK" on the deal, but definitely didn't get his money back from what he put in.

From an enjoyment perspective? It depends on you and what you are looking for. I've seen 1,000HP Z06s on this forum that'll never see a track, fully painted under the hood that do nothing, and 10 stringray logos for every fluid container. I don't get it, but others really dig it.

Last edited by BaconWrappedSushi; 01-16-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

After you spend the money to modify your car - and you think about it after a while - is it worth it at the end?
- under hood painting,
- increasing HP
-

do you expect to get your money back when you sell or expect a lost and do it for your own enjoyment?

I will start I don't expect to get my money back so I do what pleases me - so I do limit what I modify
If you modify, don't expect to get your money back or even a fraction of it typically. That being said, most of us want to make our cars what we want them to be, so I am of the opinion that I am going to do to my car what makes me happy. I will worry about the selling price when I sell
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Modifying any car is cheaper than psychotherapy and a whole lot more fun....
The following users liked this post:
walker3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it worth it? To anyone but me? No, but none of my other discretionary purchases are either really. Motorcycle? Not worth the money I paid. Mountain bikes? Fly fishing gear? Skis? None of them worth the money I paid, except to me. The enjoyment I get from those purchases far outweighs what I spent on them.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

No.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 AM
Rayrider7
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
As mentioned, most buyers don’t want modified cars. There is certainly nothing wrong with personalizing a car, but any modified parts should be easily removed... and OEM parts reinstall for resale. The removed items will be worth more if sold separately.
I agree. Before I purchased my C7 I was looking at Vipers and if they had been modified I looked elsewhere. Same thing with the Vette,didn't want anything that had been modified.
You just really never know whats been done to it and by who. Like someone else posted it has enough power from the factory to get myself in plenty of trouble and get my adrenaline pumping.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I also find if you modify a car for your taste then sell it to someone close (ie in same Corvette Club) it is not your car - people will say - or so you have such and such's car
it is not yours
Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

No... but it's fun, makes you feel better, and what else did you buy it for???
Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Are Mods worth the money? Is buying a Corvette worth the money?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Perfomance mods very poor ROI. Also they can be a negitive on resale or trade especially if the car has been tracked..

Bling mods again poor ROI as they are more personalization than anuthing else. Resale can be positive or negitive depending on the buyer.

I have been down both roads and you will be lucky to get much if any of your money invested back. You will have to put a $$ figure on the enjoyment value.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

- under hood painting,
- increasing HP
-

I will start - I don't expect to get my money back so I do what pleases me - so I do limit what I modify
I'd think that non-drivetrain mods might increase the value. Like super nice wheels or a custom paint job. Probably not as much as you put in tho.

Drivetrain mods are warranty and reliability cryptonite. They will destroy resale value. You get a one-two punch if you are selling the car supposedly under warranty. Which is also why often people keep quiet about drive-train mods and the poor sucker who buys the car doesn't find out until the warranty is blocked and he is left with a $15,000 surprise bill.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

mods are almost a must for most seems like no one is happy with stock

Biggest losers with modding is say guy spends 15k on a supercharger set up then decides he wants turbos...thats when it gets ugly and a huge loss
Old 01-19-2018, 05:09 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I do removable mods only. I spent about 1,700 on my C6 and removed everything prior to its sale and sold them here for 1,030. FWIW.....
I do the same thing. Removable upgrades are all I buy.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 PM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

It's for sure worth it if nothing goes wrong and you don't plan to sell the car. I don't for 2 reasons... fear of voiding the warranty and I also might trade mine in for a Vert and I think I'd do better on trade in value without mods.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I've modified just about every car I've owned over the past 30 some odd years. Hell, my daily driver Sierra has 78/75 turbo on it.
However ... after building my first C6 GS into real beast - I'm never doing all that work on a Vette again, this life time!
My C7 Z06 is just as much fun to drive as my stroked/cam'd/blown C6 GS was- with about 300 less hp. Plus if the Z06 breaks, It's a worry for GM as I'm not touching it. Factory warranty for me here on out on any Vette I own, now and into the future.

Quick Reply: Modifying your car - is it worth the dollars?