Surprised by poor quality of new 2018 at local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:20 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
Yeah, that's bad. Mine isn't perfect, but it's far better than that.
Those are terrible.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
GM's biggest problem, in IMHO, is the lack of consistency. One car is nearly perfect while the one next to it is an embarrassment. I had a C4 coupe that was a mess -- but most were in those days. My C5 coupe was much better and my current '13 C6 GS Vette convertible is really well assembled with nice paint, but the interior is cheesy.
Agreed! My '14 body is very good fit wise, though the passenger door could be a bit better. On the inside the center "waterfall" was too low, creating a 1/2 gap when the top was down. I took it off and shimmed it with washers to a nice 1/8 gap. I admit I am very fussy about fit and finish and was nervous as I ordered my car. I asked the dealer to check it before I arrived and told him the known problem areas. I have some OP in the CR paint but it is not too bad. The lack of flatness of the SMC panels bothers me more than the OP. SMC is just not as flat as rolled steel and I can see that when I look for it.

But the fact is that Vettes are built quite differently than normal unibody construction where tolerances are so tight that the parts don't need to provide adjustability for consistent good fit. Vettes seem to be more dependent on the skill and attitude of those assembling them. Hence the lack of consistency in assembly. Robots just do it better, period.

Last edited by golden2husky; 01-13-2018 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frosty (01-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:06 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
All of it really just comes down to what is important to you. I confess that I'm a "fit and finish" guy. It may take me a few months of washing and waxing to notice defects, but I eventually do and it does drive me crazy to some extent, especially panel fit.

I just picked-up an Audi TT RS and that car's build quality is spectacular, better than the last Mercedes Benz I had.
I took delivery of an '18 RS 3 in late December and agree with the build-quality sentiment. It is superlative. Before that, I had a '16 Volvo V60 Polestar with excellent fit and finish as well which is actually what I traded my '14 C7 Z51 in on. The C7 V8 fun was replaced with a '16 SRT 392 Challenger that had similar build quality to the C7 for $20K less and a dealership experience that wasn't as gross as Chevy.

I reluctantly bailed on my C7 experience early due to multiple quality and service issues I couldn't bear to deal with. It was a great performance car that provided an exceptional driving experience, but I wasn't committed enough to stick it out with GM as a questionable manufacturer and their awful dealer network. As an early adopter, local dealers were having issues with understanding how to change the oil in the dry sump cars, only pulling one plug and then over-filling which caused all of that extra oil to exit the intake and cover the engine bay. I was changing oil on my dime regardless of the free changes being offered. I also had a shift **** that was wearing the finish off in only 3K miles, a regular grind in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and $2500 comp seats that were delaminating the top surface of the 2LT leather. Like I said, I wasn't committed enough to corvette ownership to bother with taking it in and bailed when I still had a lot of equity and re-sale value.

The C7 is an awesome vehicle that is unfortunately made by a company that produces a lot of shitty automotive appliances with a sub-par dealer network to support it. The handful of committed and spectacular dealers that support the forum are not at all indicative of the everyday experience.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by droideka
The C7 is an awesome vehicle that is unfortunately made by a company that produces a lot of shitty automotive appliances with a sub-par dealer network to support it. The handful of committed and spectacular dealers that support the forum are not at all indicative of the everyday experience.
Well said.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

This topic should be the next Ask Tadge question.
NorthernProducer (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, old plant builds before the lengthy shut-down.
The new plant is the assembly plant now but still using the same parts supplied the old plant did.
I don't see a major change till the parts gets better. Paint looks the same as well.

My paint looks great and the panels all fit nice with no loose paint on the seams with my 2017 but not all are as lucky.

The major issues with paint not sticking on the edges of the panels were happening stuff like that can be an issue with the cars from the new plant as well.
The new plant doesn't mean the car is better quality than the car from the old plant that still varies from car to car.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 01-14-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

This thread is disturbing but I can't avoid following it.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

For those that missed my earlier post...the cars in the OP were produced before the 13 week plant shutdown for retooling.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,224 Likes on 6,025 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
For those that missed my earlier post...the cars in the OP were produced before the 13 week plant shutdown for retooling.
Thought only the red car was?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:35 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

All four of their Corvettes that I referenced in my earlier post were pre-shutdown units.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
... Every time a group of kids wave at me and shout, "NICE CORVETTE!!", all I can think about is how much nicer the paint and body work would have been had I bought a Mercedes E350.

My other car IS a Mercedes E350 and it has about as much orange peel. Its a pearlcoat white so it just hides the orange peel better.

Last edited by Soonere39; 01-14-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Poor paint and fit issues are not unusual with even the "best/uber expensive" cars. The local shop that does all of the R/R and Bentley work told me that they touch nearly ALL cars when they arrive due to fit and finish issues. They don't even try to sell these vehicles without addressing the F & F issues first. Exotics are no different.......
Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
It's playing roulette to certain degree when cars are ordered on the internet, etc. and you don't see it until after you paid for it and it is delivered to you. Thinking back on it I was lucky mine turned out with a proper fit and finish.
I won't order one again just for the reason given.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
Smart to see the car first!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
That makes it all ok then...
RapidC84B (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM
BlueFinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sat in my 2014 C7 in my heated garage yesterday with a scotch in my hand and the dog on my lap. The weather was -16C outside (Ontario, Canada).

I admired the quality of work and materials inside the car. Aluminum is real aluminium, leather is real leather and plastic is real plastic (good quality). The fit of everything is great with stitching in line and the gaps between doors and body small and uniform.

Perhaps I got a better one or I am less picky than others? But it sure looked good to me. (Well I did have problems sitting my coffee cup straight in the cup holder!)

Can't wait for spring!
John

Last edited by BlueFinn; 01-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by mdshaffer
There are certainly pros and cons to both sides though. Picking one off the lot often means compromise, you end up paying for options you didn't want or you're missing options you wanted or you don't get the exact color combo you wanted. In the case of my car there was a very slim chance of ever finding it on a dealer's lot, they rarely ever order 1LT cars to begin with, and NOBODY ever orders gray interior with Torch Red. Another problem with buying a car off the lot is that it often sits outside for a long time, so you'll find the paint could be damaged slightly from acid rain, bird droppings, extra scratches from the dealer having washed the car a couple of dozen times, etc.

Yes you are taking a chance when you order the car that you don't see it before committing, but if something is really bad the dealer can fix it and if it's something minor then just leave it alone. I'm perfectly happy with the fit and finish of my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Surprised by poor quality of new 2018 at local dealer

Old 01-15-2018, 10:19 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
There are certainly pros and cons to both sides though. Picking one off the lot often means compromise, you end up paying for options you didn't want or you're missing options you wanted or you don't get the exact color combo you wanted. In the case of my car there was a very slim chance of ever finding it on a dealer's lot, they rarely ever order 1LT cars to begin with, and NOBODY ever orders gray interior with Torch Red. Another problem with buying a car off the lot is that it often sits outside for a long time, so you'll find the paint could be damaged slightly from acid rain, bird droppings, extra scratches from the dealer having washed the car a couple of dozen times, etc.

Yes you are taking a chance when you order the car that you don't see it before committing, but if something is really bad the dealer can fix it and if it's something minor then just leave it alone. I'm perfectly happy with the fit and finish of my car.
Those are good points you make. And I think the gray interior with a red car is magnificent!
Patman (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueFinn
Sat in my 2014 C7 in my heated garage yesterday with a scotch in my hand and the dog on my lap. The weather was -16C outside (Ontario, Canada).

I admired the quality of work and materials inside the car. Aluminum is real aluminium, leather is real leather and plastic is real plastic (good quality). The fit of everything is great with stitching in line and the gaps between doors and body small and uaniform.

Perhaps I got a better one or I am less picky than others? But it sure looked good to me. (Well I did have problems sitting my coffee cup straight in the cup holder!)

Can't wait for spring!
John
Most everything looks better with a glass of scotch or two.
RapidC84B (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Soonere39
My other car IS a Mercedes E350 and it has about as much orange peel. Its a pearlcoat white so it just hides the orange peel better.
Mercedes paint quality is not great. I sit in an awful lot of stop and go traffic commuting to work and in my boredom I check out the cars around me. You would be amazed at the rather average paint quality that some very expensive vehicles have. For the expensive cars, I found that Audi seems to have high assembly and paint quality delivered consistently. Ditto Porsche. M-B and BMW are not nearly as good. In fact my friend who owns a 330i told me when he sees really good paint on a BMW he suspects a repaint. Sadly, that "engineered like no other car in the world" ended in the 2000s when Mercedes abandoned building to a standard and adopted building to a price point. Like many Vette owners who gloss over defects, plenty of high end German car owners do the same. Just look at the BMW apologists at Bimmerfest forum. How somebody can consider replacing half of your cooling system at 50K regular maintenance is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Surprised by poor quality of new 2018 at local dealer