C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Thoughts - It might be strange for an Asian American guy to drive a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

I personally don't believe this is/should be any issue in owning a vette....but if you do OP then be a pioneer and change the perception
The following 2 users liked this post by flying_vette:
ElGreco53 (01-09-2018), Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

If anything, it's the 10s of thousands of owners in the predominant Corvette demographic suffering from the worst stereotypes. They are constantly being type-cast as older males suffering from mid-life crises, and wearing gold chains.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018), Oskee (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM
BronxBomber
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

As a young, mid 20s black guy in Texas, I told my friends that I was planning on buying a red C6 back in 2013. Overwhelming response was "Why would you buy that... You aren't an old white man, what are you thinking? Who are you trying to be?" Having done exhaustive research and being a lifelong stereotype buster, it made me even more eager to buy.

That was my C6, fast forward to 2017, I'm now on my C7. Old white guys clearly have had the Corvette secret for years!! 😉

Believe me, pulling up or getting into a car that people "think" you shouldn't drive puts the biggest ear to ear smile on my face. My favorite was a cop pulling me over and asked me whose car I was driving... Haven't had a ticket in over 10 years, so no, I wasn't doing anything stupid, just this lovely society we live in.

Buy the Vette. Stereotypes are begging to be broken. You likely will inspire someone in similar shoes who isn't as strong as you are to make the jump. Besides, your wallet and butt dyno will thank you!! 😁
The following 19 users liked this post by BronxBomber:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-10-2018), daixloxbmw (01-09-2018), drs (01-10-2018), dvilin (01-09-2018), ElGreco53 (01-09-2018), ExRedRacer (01-10-2018), Foosh (01-09-2018), fugly1 (01-09-2018), Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018), jimmbbo (01-10-2018), L82Brake (01-09-2018), Maxpowers (01-09-2018), Mike Campbell (01-09-2018), millers1 (01-09-2018), olivine28 (01-09-2018), Rebel Yell (01-09-2018), scuba pro (01-09-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-10-2018), thill444 (01-09-2018) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Our Corvette club has lots of Asians, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics owners. We don't get into the racial stuff, just my C_ generation is better lookin' than your C_ generation ribbing...

Just buy the best you can afford and esp:
1. Don't install big *** wing, unless it's a ZR-1
2. Don't install big *** coffee can muffler
The following 2 users liked this post by NavyBlue2:
Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 PM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

"An issue that I deal with in terms of racism in the past is people in their car spitting on my face while I am in my vehicle, followed by a string of racial epithets. "

Um....what? I think we are being punked here.... is there a hidden camera somewhere?
The following 2 users liked this post by joezr2:
koranke (01-09-2018), Landru (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:53 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I was told when I bought my first Vette I was not allowed. That you had to be fat and bald to drive a Corvette.

As long as you wave, I think you're all good.
The following users liked this post:
Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:56 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Brilliant post, BronxB, well done. And I guess the old white guys' secret is out! : ) What the world needs is more Corvette drivers of all ages, races, backgrounds, all of it...
Old 01-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Dude! that's a lot of typing.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 PM
ASTROCREEP
Drifting

Received 343 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Interestedtobuy
First of all, thank you everyone for the great feedback. I am surprised that the thread has not devolved into representing the darker aspects of society. I appreciate that. I really do.

I wanted to highlight and expand on something. I mentioned this in my original post, but it is buried in the wall of text, which admittedly is my fault given the litany of thoughts. An issue that I deal with in terms of racism in the past is people in their car spitting on my face while I am in my vehicle, followed by a string of racial epithets. Words are one thing. It complicates ownership of a Corvette and other nice cars. Wiping nasty lougies off my face is another. I was driving a F150, which is another vehicle that Asian Americans don't normally drive. My concern is the increase frequency and/or escalation of these events in the future if I were to buy a car that a person of my color shouldn't own per society, as I am concerned the Corvette will act as a lightning rod for racism.

IMO, this video further evinces my point. Part of the humor is that Jian Yang is driving a car that doesn't fit the Asian American stereotype. It also hits on the idea of the perpetual foreigner where any attempts of assimilation, even go so far as to buy an iconic muscle car, is futile as Asian Americans will always be seen as a foreigner no matter what due to my skin color and shape of my eyes. This is a topic that I won't expand on unless others are interested in.

But I love that video. It was hilarious. And silicon valley is HILARIOUS with imo the most elaborate D joke in all of TV/film.
Jian Yang chose that car as a big FU to Bachman for using the company funds for a Tiki hut (palaba). Jian Yang also traded the car to Bachman because it made him look like an *** hole. His qoute. Again race was not an issue.

This was a joke towards the wastefulness of a sports car in the land of Prius's. It could have been any sports car to make this joke. This instance seems like product placement to me. Chevy paid for it to be on the show, the bow tie license plate screams this to me. It could have been any "fancy" car for the joke to be good.

A note about the bolded above. I would like to here more about this incident. I can't believe that this happened just because you were Asian and driving an f150. What do you think caused this person's anger? Could it be an incident on the road that may have been the reason?

Have you driven in another country before driving in America?

What is your degree?
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by joezr2
"An issue that I deal with in terms of racism in the past is people in their car spitting on my face while I am in my vehicle, followed by a string of racial epithets. "

Um....what? I think we are being punked here.... is there a hidden camera somewhere?
We definitely got punked. Close this thread mods.
Landru (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Binh360
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am A 40yro Vietnamese and bought my new 2010 GS back in 2010 when it first came out. I was so impressed with it that I decided to buy a brand new 2016 Z06. I will also add the new C8 to my collection when it comes out.
The following 3 users liked this post by Binh360:
ElGreco53 (01-09-2018), Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018), jimmbbo (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:00 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

no stranger than an African american, Latino american, Italian American, etc.... The key part is 'American'. Americans drive corvettes... :-)

Last edited by tcinla; 01-09-2018 at 02:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tcinla:
ExRedRacer (01-10-2018), Interestedtobuy (01-09-2018), Mike Campbell (01-09-2018), Oskee (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Buy what you want and equip it the way you want. Don't ask anyone what equipment you should get. There are 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT if you choose to buy a Corvette. If you want an option and don't quite understand the significance of what it does ask us and then decide if you want it or not.
Most of the folks on this forum enjoy helping others with information. I know I am forever grateful. We are not black, white, or yellow. We are Corvette owners that are human beings.

Last edited by joemessman; 01-09-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Interestedtobuy
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ASTROCREEP
Jian Yang chose that car as a big FU to Bachman for using the company funds for a Tiki hut (palaba). Jian Yang also traded the car to Bachman because it made him look like an *** hole. His qoute. Again race was not an issue.

This was a joke towards the wastefulness of a sports car in the land of Prius's. It could have been any sports car to make this joke. This instance seems like product placement to me. Chevy paid for it to be on the show, the bow tie license plate screams this to me. It could have been any "fancy" car for the joke to be good.

A note about the bolded above. I would like to here more about this incident. I can't believe that this happened just because you were Asian and driving an f150. What do you think caused this person's anger? Could it be an incident on the road that may have been the reason?

Have you driven in another country before driving in America?

What is your degree?
I'll give the basic details as I would like to preserve as much anonymity as possible due to my career.

The incident occurred in the south. It was at night and I was at a stop light. A black sedan pulled up with and honked at me. I rolled down my windows and saw 3 18-25 yo guys who were kind of rowdy and clearly were having a good time. They said they wanted to ask me something. I leaned in a little to hear them better and they spit at me. Admittedly, most of it got on the truck b/c of the ht difference, but some spit did hit my face. They started yelling racial slurs and I got even angrier and got out of my car to confront them. As soon as my foot hit the ground, they sped off laughing. I tried to follow them, but they had a minimum 5+ second head start on me in a town where I wasn't familiar in. What could I do? I didn't get their license plate. I was so mad and blind with rage that I didn't really get a good look at the exact make and model of the car in the dark. Smh.

I am born in the US. That assumption that I am a foreigner clearly demonstrates and perfectly encapsulates the idea of Asian Americans being the "perpetual foreigner" no matter how much I try to assimilate. My intention isn't to be a SJW. It just goes to show that there is clearly an issue with Asian Americans driving American made muscle cars due to (d/t) stereotypes.

Also, why is it assumed that I did something wrong? Again, I understand where you are coming as it is hard for others to imagine the racism that minorities experience since most level headed Caucasians wouldn't dream of doing such things. But people out there are crazy.

I am getting my MD. Hence the stress of studying and hyperfocus on the core sciences has led me to write, as a method to decompress from the rigors of medicine. Also, many patients have called me "Chinamen" to my face while in clinic. It literally happened 2 weeks ago. She didn't know it was offensive (at least I hope she didn't since she said it so nonchalantly), but med students aren't in a position of power to say anything, esp when rotating at private practices not owned by the med school.
The following 2 users liked this post by Interestedtobuy:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-10-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Funny enough for years we lived next to an Asian couple and their two sons and they only drove Asian branded vehicles. They were really into Lexus. One day we started talking cars. He knew I was really into sports cars and asked me what I thought of Lexus. I told him they are luxurious, reliable, and hold their value well but they were not sporty enough for me. We talked about what that meant and what I looked for in a car in terms of engagement and driving dynamics.

Not kidding. Within a month he came home in a new BMW M3. He told me he listened to my advice and started test driving some German cars and fell in love with the M3.

We moved about 18 months ago and he texted me recentlty and told me he sold the other Lexus for a Porsche Cayman S...

I think for some Asians, it has been hard to move away from Asian manufacturers and there can be a stigma imposed by friends and family.

I say go drive a bunch of cars and buy the one YOU want. The car that speaks to you. You make the payment so who cares what someone else thinks.

In terms of your post this is my first Corvette. And while I am not Asian, there is definitely a stigma about older guys driving them (I am 40's and look 30's). Some of my co-workers and neighbors joked with me about it and then I took them for a ride. Let's just say they don't joke anymore after seeing what the car can do.

Good luck!

Last edited by thill444; 01-09-2018 at 02:25 PM.
NavyBlue2 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Interestedtobuy
I'll give the basic details as I would like to preserve as much anonymity as possible due to my career.

The incident occurred in the south. It was at night and I was at a stop light. A black sedan pulled up with and honked at me. I rolled down my windows and saw 3 18-25 yo guys who were kind of rowdy and clearly were having a good time. They said they wanted to ask me something. I leaned in a little to hear them better and they spit at me. Admittedly, most of it got on the truck b/c of the ht difference, but some spit did hit my face. They started yelling racial slurs and I got even angrier and got out of my car to confront them. As soon as my foot hit the ground, they sped off laughing. I tried to follow them, but they had a minimum 5+ second head start on me in a town where I wasn't familiar in. What could I do? I didn't get their license plate. I was so mad and blind with rage that I didn't really get a good look at the exact make and model of the car in the dark. Smh.

I am born in the US. That assumption that I am a foreigner clearly demonstrates and perfectly encapsulates the idea of Asian Americans being the "perpetual foreigner" no matter how much I try to assimilate. My intention isn't to be a SJW. It just goes to show that there is clearly an issue with Asian Americans driving American made muscle cars due to (d/t) stereotypes.

Also, why is it assumed that I did something wrong? Again, I understand where you are coming as it is hard for others to imagine the racism that minorities experience since most level headed Caucasians wouldn't dream of doing such things. But people out there are crazy.

I am getting my MD. Hence the stress of studying and hyperfocus on the core sciences has led me to write, as a method to decompress from the rigors of medicine. Also, many patients have called me "Chinamen" to my face while in clinic. It literally happened 2 weeks ago. She didn't know it was offensive (at least I hope she didn't since she said it so nonchalantly), but med students aren't in a position of power to say anything, esp when rotating at private practices not owned by the med school.
I'm starting to think that you should post this topic in the "Politics Religion and Controversy" section of the forum. This is the C7 General Discussion, where we "generally discuss" the C7 Corvette.

Since you are considering purchasing a C7 in the future, are there any C7 related questions that we can answer for you? (That are not related to "Politics, Religion, and Controversy"?)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:37 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

First of all, your premise is incorrect. There are lots of Asian corvette drivers, as this thread has amply demonstrated already. Second, you have expressed a cultural difference. Most people don't really care what other people think about what car they drive. You do. Many of us scoff at the very idea. Third, I don't know where you live, but in several places in the US there really isn't all that much difference between Asian and Caucasian. That's because "we" are on our fourth generation of inter-marriage now. We're a pretty mixed bag by now.

The thing is, you are the one pushing us towards a racism angle here. None of us would ever have brought it up. THat's why some of us think you are trolling us about race. We're all here because of our interest in corvettes, not because of our race. I'm guessing I'm not alone is wanting to treat you as a corvette driver who happens to be Asian (one of many) rather than an Asian corvette driver. To me, that means we have something in common. It tends to draw us together. You, however, seem to be more interested in your race. That's something only you can work out. This is not a genealogy forum. We don't care about your ancestry. Come back when you want to talk about corvettes.
koranke (01-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Random Thoughts - It might be strange for an Asian American guy to drive a Corvette

Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

OP, I wouldn't care, and my belief is you shouldn't either. Buy what makes you happy.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:28 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, I better appreciate what you are asking/saying now. Your concern isn't really with what others will think, but what they will say/do to you.

It's difficult, if not impossible, for us to know. But realize that many of us run into the occasional d-bag for myriad reasons. I would say, if you love the car, buy it and see how it goes. It's just a car; you can sell it if you are unhappy with owning it for whatever reason.
Crossed Flags Fan (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 03:37 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Just buy the best you can afford and esp:
1. Don't install big *** wing, unless it's a ZR-1
2. Don't install big *** coffee can muffler
Originally Posted by LimeRay
......but no chrome wheels for heavens sake.
Since we are on the topic of what NOT to buy, my vote is to keep your rims reasonable size. I.e. if your car is lifted 6" to accommodate your rims, they are probably too large

While I enjoy both Chrome and Black rims, I completely agree with the fart can comment; that sh*t just aint' right

Last edited by muncie21; 01-09-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Random Thoughts - It might be strange for an Asian American guy to drive a Corvette