Sponsored by:

Check engine light/ after recharging the battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Hoosier44
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Check engine light/ after recharging the battery

Well, I forgot to plug in my battery tender on the c7 before vacation and came back to a dead battery, I recharged it and now have a check engine light on.Any way to reset it? Or do I have to take it to the dealer?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,377 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If the light is on steady (not flashing) and whatever caused it has gone away, I believe the light will disappear after a certain number of drive cycles.
The experts should be along soon...
Old 11-26-2017, 11:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,840 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Where's West Chester? My son in Fairfield (Northern Cincinnati) has HP Tuners. A 6 pack will get him to do most anything (legal).

I'd get the code read to see if it is truly battery related. If it is, the code can be cleared with the reader (usually). I have EFIlive and can read and clear codes, maybe a place like Pep Boys can read and clear the code? If you warped a plate in the battery, it might be giving the code. A code will clear itself IF the problem is corrected and the ECM doesn't see the problem after so many starts. It'll keep the code in history but it will go out on the DIC.

Elmer

Just looked it up, you're 5 minutes away! I thought that name sounded very familiar! I lived in Cincinnati for 25 years!

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 11-26-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Hoosier44
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Where's West Chester? My son in Fairfield (Northern Cincinnati) has HP Tuners. A 6 pack will get him to do most anything (legal).

I'd get the code read to see if it is truly battery related. If it is, the code can be cleared with the reader (usually). I have EFIlive and can read and clear codes, maybe a place like Pep Boys can read and clear the code? If you warped a plate in the battery, it might be giving the code. A code will clear itself IF the problem is corrected and the ECM doesn't see the problem after so many starts. It'll keep the code in history but it will go out on the DIC.

Elmer

Just looked it up, you're 5 minutes away! I thought that name sounded very familiar! I lived in Cincinnati for 25 years!
Elmer
Thanks for the tip! West chester is only 15 minutes from Fairfield. It sounds like after a few drives the code might clear on its own, if not I might reach out to you to exchange a six pack or 2 with your son to plug in the tuner.I wish I had kept my tuner when I sold my c6!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,709 Likes on 6,689 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
...maybe a place like Pep Boys can read and clear the code? If you warped a plate in the battery, it might be giving the code. A code will clear itself IF the problem is corrected and the ECM doesn't see the problem after so many starts. It'll keep the code in history but it will go out on the DIC.
Autozone etc will read a code, tell you what it is if OP doesn’t want to spend ~$20 at Harbor Freight to buy a cheap reader.

Had installed a low temp thermostat in my S-10 along with a Hypertech Program. On cold days it would trip a code. It would take about 4 or 5 start/stop cycles to clear the code if it was warmer or I could use my code reader to clear it.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 567 Likes on 368 Posts

I think you can safely rule out a bad gas cap. ;-)

Older threads on this subject suggested disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting. Worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light/ after recharging the battery

Quick Reply: Check engine light/ after recharging the battery