C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these black plastic flaps under the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
So, if I were to add a third party replica of the OEM stage 3 splitter, should i remove the center air dam?
Unless you are going over ~125 mph you'll never feel the slight change to oversteer IMO! But as the GS/Z06 with that splitter (like mine which came with the Stage 2 winglets) didn't have one you could remove. I added Stage 3 winglets since I think they help integrate the spates 'look" and they no doubt increase the downforce effectiveness slightly but at the max speeds I travel probably no significant effect. Even at 100 mph I won't feel it. According to Tadge these slight oversteer versus desired understeer effects occur at ~150 mph.

Having a modified Corvair where oversteer occurred at much lower speeds. Once learned it was fun- just like Porsches of that era! Just had to be prepared as you reached the limit. The C7 can never approach the oversteer of that rear engine car!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-18-2018 at 12:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SingleTrackMinded (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:33 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,474 Likes on 744 Posts

GM Poverty Splitter painted in Carbon Flash on my 2016 Laguna Blue Z-51 Stingray !!!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks good Jim, part # ?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Spectre1948
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just recieved mine today, will be painting it and then installing. I have a few questions.looks like you left the air dam on, also did you drill and install all of the pop rivets they shipped with the splitter. Thanks in advance for any comments you may have about installation difficulties. Lynn

Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Citizenworld
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
OP, of the above posts, this is the only accurate explanation and is mostly correct but some Grand Sports also have center air dams. I’ll add some additional info, including what I show is the real reason why some C7s don’t have a center air dam. Perhaps of interest for whoever wants the correct terminology when friends ask, “What are those ‘funny things’ sticking out from under your car?”

DETAILS

First they are called air dams. The GM chief aerodynamicist says on a Chevy Volt, that has one as large as the Vette, they increase the gas mileage at highway speeds! If you look carefully you will see many cars have them usually along the bottom front of the car. It reduces the amount of air going under the car and pushes it around the sides. Air under the car must pass around suspension parts, engine etc and is turbulent, increasing what is called drag. That takes hp to overcome, more as you go faster. That requires more gas!

Turbulence is also created around the front wheels before air flows smoothly over the body. Again at highway speeds that creates more drag (drag is proportional to speed squared.)

FOR GEARHEADS!

Now the $64 question. Why do some C7s, like most cars with air dams, not have a center air dam? It is not only the Z51 that only has side air dams but also the Z06 AND Grand Sports with the Stage 2 aero package (like mine) and the Z07 performance package that don’t have one. However the base Grand Sport does.

This is a long explanation and I realize many will just role their eyes or not read!

For those continuing, this will also explain the other often misunderstood function of air dams! It is one sometimes used by folks who remove them because they don’t like the looks! Air dams at high speed create downforce or in most cars (and C7s) reduce lift as the Vette and most car shapes look lilke and airplane wing and cause the car to “lift” at high speeds.

My history for following this issue: I had a C6 Z51 with a three section air dam, one on each side, deflecting air around the front tires and one in the center like the base C7 (and some other C7’s.) I had one of the early C7 Z51s, built in September 2013. It was shipped with all three air dams to the dealers who were told Not to add the center section. No formal explanation! However some speculation about why they were not there from some GM representatives But not Tadge, the Chief Corvette Chief Engineer or the Chief GM Aerodynamicist! In fact, in a 2013 published article the chief aerodynamicist said air dams reduce drag at highway speeds and reduce lift at high speeds! He said the center air dam was removed from the Z51 for aerodynamic reasons, but no further explanation. Some GM representatives said it was removed after last minute testing and it helped improve rear brake cooling! Sounded like “marketing speak” to me and did not match what was said by the chief aerodynamicist! Cooling may have been a factor but IMO was not the real reason. For those accepting the early marketing speak of rear brake or heat exchanger cooling, the base Grand Sport has rear coolers and high performance brakes AND a center air dam!

The mystery continued for me until the Tadge stated in a video why the Z06 did not have a center air dam when it was introduced! That was reinforced in a recent post Tadge made in this forum about C7 models aero data, drag and lift! He said GM has very critical criteria for front and rear downforce to assure slight understeer at high speed. It reinforced what I knew from experiance having added a large air dam (and rear spoiler) to my 260Z years before to counter high speed lift and owning a modified Corvair!

Tadge said at high speeds the center air dam in the Z06 was providing excess downforce and causing more downforce than desired. It was providing oversteer when slight understeer is preferred at high speeds. Now those of us with Corvairs and early Porsches knew all about oversteer. If going too fast in a high speed corner the rear would slide out in the direction of the turn. An understeer car will just not turn enough (also called plowing) and the safe natural reaction is to turn the wheel more. Just the opposite is required with an oversteer car, you turn into the skid! Not a natural reaction and when it occurs it requires very quick action to counter the slide or you’ll be off the road, rear first! Ralph Nader made a name for himself writing an inaccurate book about the Corvair and no doubt GM did not want to give him info to write another!

In the forum post Tadge said GM has very critical requirements to assure slight understeer at high speeds! Aerodynamics is Not intuitive! Just why some C7’s have center air dams, like the base and some Grand Sports, and not others, Chevy knows. Today computer simulation programs come very close to wind tunnel tests in predicting aero effects. GM no doubt has run the different models through these programs as well as conducted many expensive wind tunnel tests. Of interest, in his forum post Tadge shows only the Stage 3 aero pacakage Z06 and the Z07 provided significant downforce at high speeds, the other aero elements like splitters, side skirts (to some degree) and rear spoilers are mostly countering lift! Note is was just published that with its aero elements including a high wing the ZR1 provides 900 pounds of downforce. Also, side air dams mostly just reduce drag, which is why they are on all C7’s.

Enough fluid dynamics 101!
This was a fantastic TL;DR post and I appreciate you taking the time to explain!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (05-16-2019)
Old 03-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Well, I'm bringing back this old thread !!

I have the 2017 ZO6 stage 1 aero....poverty splitter

All 3 of my plastic air damn pieces are now gone

Where can I get an OEM replacement?

I am having some trouble finding the exact set......I guess because it is so confusing to even the experts lol

Mine indeed did have all 3 pieces. They were slowly tearing away, so I pulled them off

Links welcome!!

Thanks Folks,
Gonzo
Old 03-13-2021, 09:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Well, I'm bringing back this old thread !!

I have the 2017 ZO6 stage 1 aero....poverty splitter

All 3 of my plastic air damn pieces are now gone

Where can I get an OEM replacement?

I am having some trouble finding the exact set......I guess because it is so confusing to even the experts lol

Mine indeed did have all 3 pieces. They were slowly tearing away, so I pulled them off

Links welcome!!

Thanks Folks,
Gonzo

22799210 Left Deflector

22799211 Right Deflector

23145886: N-DEFLECTOR PKG 07833 3076 $100.61
that's the 2 corners and the center. quote from 3/18/20

Elmer

Quick Reply: What are these black plastic flaps under the front bumper?