Sponsored by:

Winter driving in the South

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:44 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Winter driving in the South

I think the Corvette engineers need to sit down with the Michelin Tire engineers and figure out their official position of driving these cars in winter. The following is an excerpt just taken from the Chevrolet website explaining the WEATHER mode of the driver mode select - "With tailored Traction Control and throttle progression, Corvette promotes more confident driving in rain or snow." This was under the section of GRAND SPORT features and benefits and we all know the GS only comes with summer only tires. For these same summer only tires, it is mentioned not to drive in temperatures under 40 degrees. Several people here in SC have told me that's hogwash since they drive their cars year round down here. I was wondering what others in the forum do in the south? Drive them or store them? Chevrolet's position is about as clear as mud on this subject.
The following users liked this post:
jonesaut (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

I’ve had 3 Vettes and my current CTSV stretching back almost 30 years and over 300,000 miles, all driven year around in Houston as daily drivers, and all with “summer-only” tires. With such wide tires plus Houston’s typical heavy showers, you have to be sensible in the rain even in summer, taking corners slower and going easier on the throttle. The dozen or so days in those 30 years that there was snow or ice on the roads, I usually didn’t drive at all given the incredible ignorance of Houston drivers about ice/snow. If I were in Dallas, they have enough more icy events than Houston that I might have considered all season tires, but not winter storage. Seems to me that winter storage should only be for areas where there’s frequently enough snow on the road to make it a ground clearance issue, not a tire issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by LDB:
bsterling9 (10-13-2017), DAC17 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Originally Posted by LDB
I’ve had 3 Vettes and my current CTSV stretching back almost 30 years and over 300,000 miles, all driven year around in Houston as daily drivers, and all with “summer-only” tires. With such wide tires plus Houston’s typical heavy showers, you have to be sensible in the rain even in summer, taking corners slower and going easier on the throttle. The dozen or so days in those 30 years that there was snow or ice on the roads, I usually didn’t drive at all given the incredible ignorance of Houston drivers about ice/snow. If I were in Dallas, they have enough more icy events than Houston that I might have considered all season tires, but not winter storage. Seems to me that winter storage should only be for areas where there’s frequently enough snow on the road to make it a ground clearance issue, not a tire issue.
Agreed. Like you mentioned, this is not unique to Corvettes. Many performance cars come with summer only tires. I am getting serious about a GS and I am not going to let Chevrolet's confusion on this matter change my mind about using this as our second car. I just like to hear what others are doing in this climate.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I had no prob driving my M7 Z51 last winter here in Rock Hill,SC.

Of course the few days we have ice/snow I don't take it out,but just on the cold days,just drive slow for a few miles 'till the tires warm up.

Weather mode can be helpful.

\db2
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As long as weather was nice and no salt on the roads, I always drove my C6s in the winter, and plan to do the same with my C7.
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbaker
I had no prob driving my M7 Z51 last winter here in Rock Hill,SC.

Of course the few days we have ice/snow I don't take it out,but just on the cold days,just drive slow for a few miles 'till the tires warm up.

Weather mode can be helpful.

\db2
That's good information. Thanks! You're more inland than me and experience more "winter" weather. We are on the coast and we rarely get seriously cold weather. I am thinking of putting it in weather mode and driving it year round.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I bought a set of wheels and all season tires before I picked up my Z51.

If you are a bad driver, nothing is going to help you. Mash the go pedal going around a corner when it's cold, the car will misbehave. Summer tires just raise the temp where things could get exciting. (say 40F or so) It's not going to try to kill you until you do something stupid. Like thinking you will .8g of grip on an on ramp of a dewy morning.

I'm pretty sure that most drivers of sports cars, can't really drive their way out of a paper bag. (in other words, they are HORRIBLE drivers) But they sure think they can...

Oh, anyway, I've driven with the Bridgestone AS tires in light snow, didn't even use "weather" mode, no issues at all. Not something I'd like to repeat with the Pilot Sports...lol
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I bought a set of wheels and all season tires before I picked up my Z51.

If you are a bad driver, nothing is going to help you. Mash the go pedal going around a corner when it's cold, the car will misbehave. Summer tires just raise the temp where things could get exciting. (say 40F or so) It's not going to try to kill you until you do something stupid. Like thinking you will .8g of grip on an on ramp of a dewy morning.

I'm pretty sure that most drivers of sports cars, can't really drive their way out of a paper bag. (in other words, they are HORRIBLE drivers) But they sure think they can...

Oh, anyway, I've driven with the Bridgestone AS tires in light snow, didn't even use "weather" mode, no issues at all. Not something I'd like to repeat with the Pilot Sports...lol
Whole lot of truth in that statement....especially those that think they are masters over a front engine Z06(Z06 performs under their driving abilities) and think the Corvette should be mid engine in order for them to be able use 100% of their "superior'" driving abilities.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I live in Colorado and drive mine all year unless there is snow or ice on the road. It still has the tires that came from the factory.
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Originally Posted by bsterling9
....Several people here in SC have told me that's hogwash since they drive their cars year round down here. I was wondering what others in the forum do in the south? Drive them or store them? Chevrolet's position is about as clear as mud on this subject.
Yep, as a fellow Southcarolinian, HOGWASH!

That said depends on where you live in SC! I am in Eastern SC and our temps are warmer than the "mountain" folk out West! Well hills anyway.

Been drinking Vettes as my DD since my '88. Yep Snows some years for a day or two and keep it parked.

This is what I found with my 2014 Z51 and expect to do with my Grand Sport. At 50F+ once you travel 5 miles the tires have great traction.

At 40 to 45F the tires take 5 miles to have good traction. In fact I often have to agreesivlt brake before that when I leave a 4 lane divided highway to turn on a rural road. No shoulder to safely reduce speed so I brake agreesivly and make the turn. ABS does not engage and the car stops better than most on the road.

Below 40F gets a bit tricky. I seldom have to drive below 40 but when I do I put the car in Weather Mode that has the traction control come on sooner. Have one experiance at 30F.

Last year was in a late meeting in town and car sat out in 30F weather for 4 hours. Did my usual and put it in Weather Mode and was careful with the accelerator. After 5 miles switched to my normal Sport mode in my Z51. Was making a turn in a rural area with no traction. Gave it a bit more gas than normal when it's cold the the rear stepped out a bit. Back to Weather Mode and a save trip home.

The traction is so good in warm weather, just have to remember it's more like a "normal car" when cold.

Some drive below 30F. I would not. No need I would just use the wife's SUV. Those wide tires the car can hydroplane. Be careful in heavy rain. I take side roads not the Interstate if I get caught in a downpour.
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,965 Likes on 5,695 Posts
Default Yes, quite contradictory!

I will not drive my GS if roads are wet, however temperature isn't going to keep me from taking a drive on a nice clear but cold winter day.

The "summer only" tire warning is most likely a step taken to help cover GM and Michelin from liability in event of incident while driving a C7 during winter on icy roads.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-13-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and while we seldom get temperatures below 40 degrees I drive my 2017 GS regardless and have had zero problems.
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,029 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

From the Upstate myself, I drive year round. I've driven well below freezing many times. Where I am in AL has the same weather as Spartanburg, same difference. Summer tires can get a little slippery on cold mornings but thats about it.

Only when theres ice on the roads do I retire the vette.
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by George Washnak
I'm in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and while we seldom get temperatures below 40 degrees I drive my 2017 GS regardless and have had zero problems.
True! I lived in Murrells Inlet for 5.5 years and drove my C6 and new C7 Corvettes all year long on Summer only tires. Just have to drive less aggressively under 50 degrees.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 10-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I live in Colorado and drive mine all year unless there is snow or ice on the road. It still has the tires that came from the factory.
What do you do if it snows while you're out?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Some of us are going to Durango, CO in the middle of February to ride the Cascade Canyon snow train. We are not driving from Springfield, MO to Durango, CO(2 days and 1,000 miles each way) in our Corvettes on ultra high performance summer only tires. We want it to snow and we will be in vehicles that are suitable for driving in snow, with proper tires.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-13-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:23 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Originally Posted by George Washnak
Excellent. We have very similar weather here in Charleston so this helps a lot. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Winter driving in the South

Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Woodson
Hasn't happened - yet - with my C7. I did get caught out once in a bad snow/ice storm in my C6. While it was dicey, gentle on the steering, throttle and brakes is the way to drive and I made it fine while others around me, including with 4WD and AWD, were wrecking. I grew up where there was a lot of snow & ice in the winter, and learned to drive without weather mode, without ABS, on bias ply tires, etc.

This was a few years ago on I-70 in late April. I was on my way to BBORR so the car was prepped for 150+ mph open road racing. The road was shiny with ice. I made it fine.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hasn't happened - yet - with my C7. I did get caught out once in a bad snow/ice storm in my C6. While it was dicey, gentle on the steering, throttle and brakes is the way to drive and I made it fine while others around me, including with 4WD and AWD, were wrecking. I grew up where there was a lot of snow & ice in the winter, and learned to drive without weather mode, without ABS, on bias ply tires, etc.

This was a few years ago on I-70 in late April. I was on my way to BBORR so the car was prepped for 150+ mph open road racing. The road was shiny with ice. I made it fine.

Just give you a chance to perfect your drifting skills, right?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,319 Posts

FWIW: I've got more than 700,000 miles in Corvettes over the past 27 (almost 28 years).

I have always used the "summer only" tires....

...keep your foot out of the gas, pay attention to what you're doing, and watch the other guy.... I've driven Corvettes in all types of weather in, now, 46, of the lower 48 states - winter, summer, fall, spring - rain, snow, hot and cold....
bsterling9 (10-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Winter driving in the South