Sponsored by:

I Got The Warble

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM
TucsonJer
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I Got The Warble

After reading some of the post here on the forum I realize that apparently this "warble" sound coming from the rear of my new 2017 Stingray isn't a new problem. I noticed it the very first time I test drove the car. When I returned from the test drive I told the service manager there was a weird sound coming from the rear of the car but it only seemed to do it during gradual acceleration. He had his Corvette technician go with me for a ride so he could hear what I was talking about. I told him it sounded like a problem in the rear end but once he heard it he told me it sounded like the harmonic balancer and it should be fixed as soon as Chevrolet issued a computer upgrade. He hooked the car up to a computer and told me that they hadn't resolved it as of yet. He even took another brand new Stingray on the lot and test drove it and said it was doing the very same thing. When I took my car in for the second oil change I ask about the problem and he told there still wasn't a fix. I just started reading the forum a few days ago and I learn that this "warble" problem has been around since the C7 was introduced. Now I'm beginning to feel that this is some big cover-up that they don't have a clue how to fix it. I'm going to take my car up to the dealer next week and find out what they intend to do to resolve my problem. I read one thread that said a rearend Change fixed theirs. Has anyone else been able to get theirs fixed. I've put 7000 miles on my Vette since I got it in May and things seem to work fine except for the warble sound which is kind of embarrassing when I take one of my friends for a ride and they hear it. I'll let you know what the dealer says after I talk to them. Jer

Popular Reply

09-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Highplains
Take this thread from this forum with you to the dealer https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...asionally.html.

More importantly, show him this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_svpk-t9E

If he still won't believe you, have him call the Technical Assistance Center. There have been many whose dealers simply did not want to deal with the problem and lied through their teeth about what they say GM or the Technical Assistance Center has told them. GM DOES know about it and a number of diffs have been replaced, including mine.
OP, this is my video that Highplains showed you. He is correct that the root cause was the ring and pinion in the differential. In the end, after GM Engineering sent an Engineer to put sensors all over the drivetrain of our '16 Stingray, at my local dealer, they bought the car back to use as the one to determine the actual cause.

I talked with the Corvette Quality Brand Mgr @ Carlisle a month ago and as soon as I told him my name, he immediately knew me, and said " the Video" !!! We had a nice chat about it and I expressed my sincere appreciation for his efforts to get to the bottom of this. He went on to say that GM is still having a time of it with the supplier of the rear differential owning up to the problem. He also said he knows exactly where my "warble Vette" sits at the Detroit Proving Grounds Labs.

As Pete said, take this video and link to the original thread to your dealer. I didn't see that you stated the specifics on your Stingray. Please advise if it is a base Stingray, NOT a Z51, Grand Sport, or Z06. Also advise if it's an automatic.

Don't accept that it's normal sound. Those that have had the new differential installed, have their issue resolved.

Richard
Old 09-29-2017, 02:24 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Yea, push the issue, they should be trying some stuff I would think and do more for you. There are cars that have it, but it certainly isn't every car. Not sure if there are other dealership options in your area though too, that could be an option.

And if you get towards the end of your warranty, you may want to consider an extended warranty if you're still dealing with it. Hopefully not the case.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:24 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonJer
After reading some of the post here on the forum I realize that apparently this "warble" sound coming from the rear of my new 2017 Stingray isn't a new problem. I noticed it the very first time I test drove the car. When I returned from the test drive I told the service manager there was a weird sound coming from the rear of the car but it only seemed to do it during gradual acceleration. He had his Corvette technician go with me for a ride so he could hear what I was talking about. I told him it sounded like a problem in the rear end but once he heard it he told me it sounded like the harmonic balancer and it should be fixed as soon as Chevrolet issued a computer upgrade. He hooked the car up to a computer and told me that they hadn't resolved it as of yet. He even took another brand new Stingray on the lot and test drove it and said it was doing the very same thing. When I took my car in for the second oil change I ask about the problem and he told there still wasn't a fix. I just started reading the forum a few days ago and I learn that this "warble" problem has been around since the C7 was introduced. Now I'm beginning to feel that this is some big cover-up that they don't have a clue how to fix it. I'm going to take my car up to the dealer next week and find out what they intend to do to resolve my problem. I read one thread that said a rearend Change fixed theirs. Has anyone else been able to get theirs fixed. I've put 7000 miles on my Vette since I got it in May and things seem to work fine except for the warble sound which is kind of embarrassing when I take one of my friends for a ride and they hear it. I'll let you know what the dealer says after I talk to them. Jer
Take this thread from this forum with you to the dealer https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...asionally.html.

If he still won't believe you, have him call the Technical Assistance Center. There have been many whose dealers simply did not want to deal with the problem and lied through their teeth about what they say GM or the Technical Assistance Center has told them. GM DOES know about it and a number of diffs have been replaced, including mine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Highplains:
1ccrider (10-01-2017), bjones7131 (10-01-2017), Virtual Geezer (10-22-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM
curve65
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 178 Posts

This is still a big time bummer!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 PM
rolman
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure it isn't just exaust warble like from headers .is it a bubbling like sound.warble is a strange description.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rolman
sure it isn't just exaust warble like from headers .is it a bubbling like sound.warble is a strange description.
Read the original thread on the warble. Look at the video I posted. Speculation that it's the exhaust was ruled out long ago. The noise occurs at 1500 RPM with auto trans cars. When they replaced the diff in mine and other cars there was no more noise. My car was tested by a GM engineer and he told me personally that it was the ring and pinion that was not set-up correctly. The head of Corvette Quality Control would not have sent my dealer a new diff if it was the exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by Highplains:
bjones7131 (10-01-2017), TucsonJer (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,214 Likes on 2,269 Posts

As an aside has Strake ever heard back from the GM engineers who purchased back his car for the purpose of diagnosing this major problem?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 AM
spolk69
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have the warble at 3000 miles 17GS. Pretty crazy. It's only done it twice.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

2016, A8, 1lt, Stingray. Mine had it VERY bad. I could reproduce it at will. Hit the resume on the cruse control from about 40mph up to 70mph and it would sing every time. Kind of an eerie sound. I knew I had 36,000 miles to deal with it if I needed to but it quit singing around 23,000 miles. I cannot reproduce it now. It's gone. I am going to go past 36,000 miles later today on my way to Houston and I decided not to get the extended warranty as I have not had a single problem with this car. I did not want them ripping the rear end apart and I am glad I did not take any action on this issue. For some strange reason sometimes I kind of miss that sound.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

OP, this is my video that Highplains showed you. He is correct that the root cause was the ring and pinion in the differential. In the end, after GM Engineering sent an Engineer to put sensors all over the drivetrain of our '16 Stingray, at my local dealer, they bought the car back to use as the one to determine the actual cause.

I talked with the Corvette Quality Brand Mgr @ Carlisle a month ago and as soon as I told him my name, he immediately knew me, and said " the Video" !!! We had a nice chat about it and I expressed my sincere appreciation for his efforts to get to the bottom of this. He went on to say that GM is still having a time of it with the supplier of the rear differential owning up to the problem. He also said he knows exactly where my "warble Vette" sits at the Detroit Proving Grounds Labs.

As Pete said, take this video and link to the original thread to your dealer. I didn't see that you stated the specifics on your Stingray. Please advise if it is a base Stingray, NOT a Z51, Grand Sport, or Z06. Also advise if it's an automatic.

Don't accept that it's normal sound. Those that have had the new differential installed, have their issue resolved.

Richard

Last edited by Strake; 09-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Strake:
1ccrider (10-01-2017), bjones7131 (10-01-2017), Highplains (09-30-2017), Maxie2U (09-30-2017), RapidC84B (12-14-2017), TucsonJer (09-30-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 AM
TucsonJer
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thanks for your help Richard.

Originally Posted by Strake

Richard
Thank you Richard, I will definitely take the video to show them. My car is a 2017 Stingray LT1 A8.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

With your car being the base Stingray, A8 you are definitely in the pool of potential WARBLE issue cars.

The differential is different for the Z51, GS and Z06. They all have the "eDiff" which is an electronic rear diff with different ring and pinion gears and it is a heavier weight rear . To the best of my knowledge, there are NO known Warblers in that group of cars, just the base model, A8.

When GM bought my car back, they had me special order what ever I wanted. To be safe, I wasn't going to get another base Stingray for fear of getting another Warbler. We went with the (at that time) newly released Grand Sport.

If you get push back on what this is with your dealer, tell them to call GM Tech Support and get to the Corvette Brand Quality Mgr. Trust me, they know all about this.

Richard

Last edited by Strake; 09-30-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added more notes
The following 2 users liked this post by Strake:
bjones7131 (10-01-2017), Highplains (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 AM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

That is really loud, hope mine don't start doing this, I havd 1K miles on it.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Too bad this thread WASN'T part of the original Warble thread to keep things in one place.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...asionally.html
The following users liked this post:
bjones7131 (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by beaversstonehaven
2016, A8, 1lt, Stingray. Mine had it VERY bad. I could reproduce it at will. Hit the resume on the cruse control from about 40mph up to 70mph and it would sing every time. Kind of an eerie sound. I knew I had 36,000 miles to deal with it if I needed to but it quit singing around 23,000 miles. I cannot reproduce it now. It's gone. I am going to go past 36,000 miles later today on my way to Houston and I decided not to get the extended warranty as I have not had a single problem with this car. I did not want them ripping the rear end apart and I am glad I did not take any action on this issue. For some strange reason sometimes I kind of miss that sound.
beaver, mine is the same set up as yours, and my warble went away at approx. 6k miles. It doesn't give me much solace though. Being it's the ring gear/pinion causing the noise I'm afraid it will come back with a vengeance, thinking wear on the unit is what stopped the noise. Of course if it does fall apart GM will be the one that pays. I bought the extended warranty.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Richard
Thanks for the update Strake. I'm confused on one point, I thought the "warble" was due to the torque converter and/or A8 transmission that was why so many owners of A8s are having them replaced. But you say it's due to the ring and pinion in the differential.

I am NOT DOUBTING YOU, it's just that I am confused. Is the problem A8 owners are having a different problem than the differential "warble"?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
beaver, mine is the same set up as yours, and my warble went away at approx. 6k miles. It doesn't give me much solace though. Being it's the ring gear/pinion causing the noise I'm afraid it will come back with a vengeance, thinking wear on the unit is what stopped the noise. Of course if it does fall apart GM will be the one that pays. I bought the extended warranty.
Same here. I had the warble for a while after my TC was replaced. After about 1k miles it went away. I did buy a 7 yr warranty so I'm not concerned as I will trade before then.
Rebel Yell (10-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To I Got The Warble

Old 09-30-2017, 09:13 PM
ElGreco53
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Maxie, I think there are 2 different issues, with different symptoms. The T/C issue seems to be more like driving over rough pavement where the warble "sound" is so well documented in the clip above. Hopefully no one has had problems with both, gads...
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Thanks for the update Strake. I'm confused on one point, I thought the "warble" was due to the torque converter and/or A8 transmission that was why so many owners of A8s are having them replaced. But you say it's due to the ring and pinion in the differential.

I am NOT DOUBTING YOU, it's just that I am confused. Is the problem A8 owners are having a different problem than the differential "warble"?
Maxie,

These are 2 different issues completely. The WARBLE is a harmonic resonance noise which has been found to be the ring and pinion in the differential of base Stingrays with the A8 trans. It is always when running at 1500 rpm in any gear ( 4 to 80 at any speed, any driving mode, and any exhaust setting, or all of the above combinations.

The Warble has nothing to do with the other TC shutter or vibration issues in the transmission.

Last edited by Strake; 09-30-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Nitro C7 (12-13-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Maxie,

These are 2 different issues completely. The WARBLE is a harmonic resonance noise which has been found to be the ring and pinion in the differential of base Stingrays with the A8 trans. It is always when running at 1500 rpm in any gear ( 4 to 80 at any speed, any driving mode, and any exhaust setting, or all of the above combinations.

The Warble has nothing to do with the other TC shutter or vibration issues in the transmission.
I appreciate the clarification although now I'm a little bummed out since my car could develop two separate major problems. If I did not love my Corvette so much I would sell it before I have to deal with these major headaches.

Quick Reply: I Got The Warble