2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Might as well join the party!

The following users liked this post:
georgehafe (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I just repainted/reorganized my garage and now looking into flooring options...(epoxy vs RaceDeck).

I'm curious how well floor jacks roll around on the RD flooring and how easy is it to slide across it when working under a car?

I actually do work in my garage so I'm trying to figure out what holds up better and is easy to lay on...

Name:  7gUDY0Ph.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  132.3 KB

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-24-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I just repainted/reorganized my garage and now looking into flooring options...(epoxy vs RaceDeck).

I'm curious how well floor jacks roll around on the RD flooring and how easy is it to slide across it when working under a car?

I actually do work in my garage so I'm trying to figure out what holds up better and is easy to lay on...

I have had both epoxy and the Race Deck and a floor jack will work on both. As you can see from my pictures, I have my lift installed directly on the Race Deck with absolutely no issues. The Race Deck is made from polypropylene, which has a very high pressure rating. I chose Race Deck over the Epoxy this time due to lower cost, flexibility with design and color. The floor is down for over a year now and I have no regrets.
The following 2 users liked this post by Too-Fast:
ajrothm (09-24-2017), georgehafe (09-24-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I did get a small crack in one of the Gladiator tiles from using a floor jack to lift my wife's car. Not noticeable but it's there. Since then I have used 18" by 36" piece of 3/8" OSB under the jack and 12" x 12" pieces of OSB under jack stands. Again, I got the tiles for such a good price I couldn't pass them up and they do look great when they are clean.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Racedeck Free-Flow XL. Easy install, low maintenance, durable (2-years so far).

Really transforms the garage!

georgehafe (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:33 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
To all of the above work here very well done nice jobs on all of them. Robert

I'll second that.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I finally got tired of the expansion joint seams in my garage (total dirt grabbers) and had this floor done by Classic Garage Floors..... a picture does not do it justice, but here it is....LK

georgehafe (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks good. You must like red and black . Did mine in all black earlier this year. Good stuff.
georgehafe (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 PM
KARSC5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Job
georgehafe (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Fireeagle
Looks good. You must like red and black . Did mine in all black earlier this year. Good stuff.
Thanks FireEagle.... actually the floor is called a "Fire Floor".... given your name, you should get one.....smile...

The Co. actually uses our cars/floor as wraps on their trucks and advertising, so we got a really good deal.... still pictures simply don't do it justice......LK
Old 09-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
I finally got tired of the expansion joint seams in my garage (total dirt grabbers) and had this floor done by Classic Garage Floors..... a picture does not do it justice, but here it is....LK

How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I've kicked around the idea of doing mine with a buddy but not sure t's worth the the headache. Tempted to just have a professional do it. Don't feel like the prep-work headache wise.

Considered race deck but seems like that is going to be a pain as the years go by to clean out. The epoxy is so easy maintenance wise.

New home with a plan to be here forever which probably means 20 years lol. Just want something that lasts and is easy upkeep.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I really like that floor! The only question that I have is that it looks crazy slick if it would get wet. Hows the traction with wet shoes or tires?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Apocolips
I really like that floor! The only question that I have is that it looks crazy slick if it would get wet. Hows the traction with wet shoes or tires?
When you apply it they make a grit that you can put down that gives traction when slick.

The mirror look is just the expos itself. But they make a special grit you can add as well that will help with wet traction.
Apocolips (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Blue Devil 146
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

suggestion for alternative to race deck is swisstrax it is a 1/3 larger in dimensional size and is thicker than race deck. I just installed in my garage this summer and quite pleased. https://store.swisstrax.com/
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike00
How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I've kicked around the idea of doing mine with a buddy but not sure t's worth the the headache. Tempted to just have a professional do it. Don't feel like the prep-work headache wise.

Considered race deck but seems like that is going to be a pain as the years go by to clean out. The epoxy is so easy maintenance wise.

New home with a plan to be here forever which probably means 20 years lol. Just want something that lasts and is easy upkeep.
Ballpark is $3-5K for large 3 car garage, including doing the expansion joint seams.... I got a deal I could not refuse since they use me for promos etc.... It can be a little slick if really wet, but nothing too bad.

My advice.... do NOT do it yourself, having seen what happens to other DIY solutions after a couple of years. Prep is all-important to get it to adhere and the materials you can get at HD or paint stores ...... well.... just not up to snuff.

If you lived in Arizona, I could give you the reference and they do HUGE areas in hangers, restaurants, malls etc.... attesting to the slip nature not being that severe...comes with lifetime guarantee......LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 09-25-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:11 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike00
When you apply it they make a grit that you can put down that gives traction when slick.

The mirror look is just the expos itself. But they make a special grit you can add as well that will help with wet traction.
There is a product known as "Shark Grip" that you can sprinkle into final coat, but at the cost of that glossy shine......the owner said not to try using it, so I did not......LK

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Floor done

Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Ballpark is $3-5K for large 3 car garage, including doing the expansion joint seams.... I got a deal I could not refuse since they use me for promos etc.... It can be a little slick if really wet, but nothing too bad.

My advice.... do NOT do it yourself, having seen what happens to other DIY solutions after a couple of years. Prep is all-important to get it to adhere and the materials you can get at HD or paint stores ...... well.... just not up to snuff.

If you lived in Arizona, I could give you the reference and they do HUGE areas in hangers, restaurants, malls etc.... attesting to the slip nature not being that severe...comes with lifetime guarantee......LK
Oh yeah the Home Depot quality products suck. If we do it, I'm doing commercial grade products which in itself are about $1,000 for a two car garage. My buddy is a union electrician who has done them before and I was planning on doing with him. I'm just not looking forward to the grinding. Everything else is easy but the grinding before hand is not fun to say the least.

Unfortunately, I'm in Philadelphia suburbs so the reference won't work. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts

Beautiful!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 717 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
Looks real good