Sponsored by:

A Washing Discovery...and Happy Ending

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Silver, it doesn't look like the metal is creased. Maybe that will buff out (no pun intended).
Steve, I don't think the metal is creased there either!

Last edited by l2vette; 09-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,781 Likes on 5,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I swore off silver cars years ago due to the difficulty in matching the paint. Not sure if the blade silver has metallic flakes in it but if it does, be real careful about who does your repaint because it is impossible to match the angles of the flakes and the light hitting it will show the differences- so say a body shop expert many years ago when I had my silver 300 ZX repainted in 1984.

Not sure if this is applicable to today's silver but take it for what it is worth.
Paint matching has come a long ways, a good body shop won't have any problem matching it.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,067 Likes on 984 Posts

OP: sorry this happened. Stinks when careless people just do stuff like this and leave.

I can't really tell from the pictures but, as others have suggested, if the scrapes are superficial (not thru the clear), I would try the following before I would have it 'repaired and painted'. (but if it's thru the clear, you'll need it fixed).
* Try some 'cleaner wax' like Meguiar's. Make sure the area is clean, take a soft cloth, and lots of elbow grease in a circular motion. See if it starts to come off. If so, repeat until done.
* If that doesn't work, try a light/medium polishing compound - Meguiar's makes some good ones. You can use a power buffer if needed, just be a bit careful around the curves, tape off the side marker, and don't use too heavy a compound. If this works, then follow up with the cleaner wax, and then use whatever polishing materials you normally do.

The only reason I suggest this is because, from what I can tell in the pictures, this looks superficial and I would not have anyone paint the panel if it is. But if it went thru the clear...........
Old 09-08-2017, 04:42 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Wouldn't you just love to catch some "A" Hole doing that to your car?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
OP: sorry this happened. Stinks when careless people just do stuff like this and leave.

I can't really tell from the pictures but, as others have suggested, if the scrapes are superficial (not thru the clear), I would try the following before I would have it 'repaired and painted'. (but if it's thru the clear, you'll need it fixed).
* Try some 'cleaner wax' like Meguiar's. Make sure the area is clean, take a soft cloth, and lots of elbow grease in a circular motion. See if it starts to come off. If so, repeat until done.
* If that doesn't work, try a light/medium polishing compound - Meguiar's makes some good ones. You can use a power buffer if needed, just be a bit careful around the curves, tape off the side marker, and don't use too heavy a compound. If this works, then follow up with the cleaner wax, and then use whatever polishing materials you normally do.

The only reason I suggest this is because, from what I can tell in the pictures, this looks superficial and I would not have anyone paint the panel if it is. But if it went thru the clear...........
The scratch on the top went all the way down on impact. That's why you see the black dot. Unfortunately this is going to require more than compound and elbow grease. If you aren't looking for it, you won't see it. The body guy walked right by it...but I know it's there.

Did you see what happened to that beautiful Laguna Blue in the "Hit & Run" thread? I am extremely lucky. That could have been any one of us.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
Wouldn't you just love to catch some "A" Hole doing that to your car?

This is probably best...otherwise I'd be posting for bail money...
VictorBarron (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

If I caught the one that did this...I'd also catch "a case"...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c7c632e8c6.jpg

That's a quarter panel, front fascia and a lot of paint. Paint and labor at least 70% of the cost!

I'm extremely fortunate!

Last edited by Silver C7; 09-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:58 PM
ClydeFrog
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 95 Posts

You might want to PM the details of the incident to the Joyriding Detailer guy. I'm sure he could help you get to the bottom of this.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Sorry...I don't know who that is...
Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 363 Posts

Twice in my first month my car had what looked like scratches from other doors on my passenger side. Fortunately, both were paint from the other car and polished off.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

that looks like it would buff out with very little effort. I don't think the body shop will be repainting anything, what is the cost estimate?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:59 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

OP it's tough... don't use the car and it's pristine, use it and this happens.. that's what many will say, but truth is? it's just a car.. get it fixed and move on. i've tried to limit my car detail discoveries with Xpel, truth be told I wish i had done the whole car instead of half. I may still do it..

As for color match they'll blend if they can't do just the panel and it'll be tough to see. if they don't blend it? you YOU will notice it but 99 out of 100 others won't (unless in the industry)..

please post up your experience having this addressed, should help a ton of members here (including myself!)

sorry for your troubles, but thanks for bringing them here.. we're one big family.
Silver C7 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 PM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
[Sam Malone (from "Friends") voice]: You parked your Corvette in a parking lot and left it alone?
I think you meant "Cheers" ... yeah, I'm old and watched that series too.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Default The

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OP it's tough... don't use the car and it's pristine, use it and this happens.. that's what many will say, but truth is? it's just a car.. get it fixed and move on. i've tried to limit my car detail discoveries with Xpel, truth be told I wish i had done the whole car instead of half. I may still do it..

As for color match they'll blend if they can't do just the panel and it'll be tough to see. if they don't blend it? you YOU will notice it but 99 out of 100 others won't (unless in the industry)..

please post up your experience having this addressed, should help a ton of members here (including myself!)

sorry for your troubles, but thanks for bringing them here.. we're one big family.
Using Quality Auto Body in Rahway, NJ. Have dealt with them in the past, always pleased with their work. I doubt it will be any different this time around.

Taking it in on Monday, will post before and after when I get it back.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:45 PM
edved
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Feel your pain!

The one downfall of washing your car, seeing the warts inch by inch! Good luck with the repairs.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Always a bite, but if we're going to drive 'em s**t's gonna happen. Consider it a dueling scar.

The first day I drove my special-ordered C5 I encountered an unavoidable long piece of steel across my entire lane on a country road with oncoming traffic. You guessed it; nicks on the passenger side that I opted to leave... hence, not another spot on it in 16.5 years. What are ya going to do???
Old 09-09-2017, 10:21 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Always a bite, but if we're going to drive 'em s**t's gonna happen. Consider it a dueling scar.

The first day I drove my special-ordered C5 I encountered an unavoidable long piece of steel across my entire lane on a country road with oncoming traffic. You guessed it; nicks on the passenger side that I opted to leave... hence, not another spot on it in 16.5 years. What are ya going to do???
bitch about it.... because

Get notified of new replies

To A Washing Discovery...and Happy Ending

Old 09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by George Washnak
I think you meant "Cheers" ... yeah, I'm old and watched that series too.
Cheers, Friends, Relatives, etc.

Yep. Cheers it is--went back and fixed it.

To you "younger" folks, go to Youtube or elsewhere and watch the Cheers' episode where Sam was trying to sell his Corvette. If you own a Corvette, you should find it gut-busting funny.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Default The Happy Ending

In the thread "A Washing Discovery" I posted this image of a scratched rear bumper (fascia)...

After an agonizing week of driving a Fiat 500X rental, I picked up the repaired Silver C7...

Behold...

Thanks to Quality Auto Body in Rahway, NJ, my car is perfect again!

I showed the rear end because they removed the spoiler and rear bumper to achieve a perfect paint blend. The emblem and script are new. The old ones wouldn't stick after the repaint. The side marker is also new, there were some scratches on the original.

I had to wait an extra day, when we inspected the car on Friday morning, there was barely detectable paint drip where the bumper met the rear quarter. It was under the clear so it was stripped down a repainted. But it was intended to happen that way, as today is the one year anniversary I took delivery of the car. So the first anniversary is just as happy as the first day.

But with the C7 should it be any other way?

Welcome home...

Rebel Yell (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Happy to learn the shop returned your Vette to new status again.
Silver C7 (09-16-2017)

Quick Reply: A Washing Discovery...and Happy Ending