Sponsored by:

Hurricane Harvey and my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:09 PM
matt houston
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I'm in the same boat with my Z51

Which insurance provider are you using? I have the Corvette Museum insurance.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 PM
doorman812
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt houston
Which insurance provider are you using? I have the Corvette Museum insurance.
I'm with State Farm and have GAP.

Last edited by doorman812; 08-31-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your ZO6, but anytime water gets into the electronics, especially with a newer car, that's the kiss of death. I'm hoping your insurance does right by you, but talking from prior experience with a water damaged vehicle, my advice is to take the settlement check and order a 2018. Good luck and I hope the recovery comes sooner rather than later for everyone affected by Harvey.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The water alone can cause lots of problems but flood waters contain a lot of contaminants from stuff picked up from the ground or spilled into the flood waters when containers come apart and they can cause even worse corrosion of electrical and metal parts.

Bill
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I wonder what a lt4 from a flood car is going to go for? There should be a lot becoming available....
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Hurricane Harvey and my ZO6

What do you mean by a special order ZO6?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 PM
doorman812
5th Gear

Originally Posted by #003
What do you mean by a special order ZO6?

i built the car from chevrolet website and gave the print out to the salesman. i have 2018 ready to be ordered but have to clear the 2017 up first.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:47 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Ya its done for sadly.

However you could wait for the ZR1 coming next year....
Old 09-01-2017, 12:35 AM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The water alone can cause lots of problems but flood waters contain a lot of contaminants from stuff picked up from the ground or spilled into the flood waters when containers come apart and they can cause even worse corrosion of electrical and metal parts.

Bill
We had a flood in '94 and was told by our county agent that all the different fertilizers and pesticides the waters can pick up make it especially corrosive.

Our prayers and support go out for Texas and the Houston area. We just got back from a donation center today.

Last edited by MickP; 09-01-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
3 inches of standing water will cause much havoc on the BCM, electrical wires and connections. I would say that the car will and should be totaled! Sorry for the loss, but it can be replaced!

Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry hear about this. I'm in west Houston, & luckily my Z51 vert is high & dry in my garage.
Wonder why GM didn't design to install electronics higher on a $60 - $100K car, or least waterproof it.
I figure if Samsung can waterproof my phone, GM can can put a few pelican boxes around the electronics...
Old 09-01-2017, 07:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DanZR1
I'd be thankful they are calling it a total. If they didn't, I'd push as hard as I could to get them to make it one. You can argue about the value, and they will often bend and see it your way, depending on the insurance company.

Sorry for your ride, and I hope the car is the worst of it. Crazy what you guys in Texas went through...
I agree.* And as one poster said, you may have to work at it to get a good valuation on "totaled" but it beats the alternative of keeping the car, and fixing it.

* not long ago, a poster argued why worry about an engine being sunk, or partially sunk under water--isn't the oil filter and oil pan sealed? no response was given or necessary just a small shake of the head.

Last edited by AORoads; 09-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Jim Kramer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doorman812
I'm with State Farm and have GAP.
The GAP insurance will cover any difference between your loan/lease balance and the amount the insurance company decides your vehicle is worth. Depending upon your down payment, and/or current balance on your loan/lease this may or may not come into play. I know some insurance companies are now offering "New Car Replacement" type options on auto policies where they will basically replace your vehicle (in theory). I hope your claim process is as painless as possible, and the settlement fair. Good luck. Sorry about your loss. :-(
Old 09-01-2017, 03:52 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by doorman812
Harvey dumped a lot of water on us. MyZ06 is sitting in 16 inches of water. It has about 3 inches of water in floorboards. My insurance agency is saying their computer shows it's totaled and the adjuster is going to tow it to a salvage yard and then confirm if it's totaled or not.

the car battery is dead. i received a text that the alarm went off and i was thinking that sitting in water might have caused it to motion alarm. i do know that battery is dead.

what do you guys think? standing in 16 inches of water and 3 inches in the floorboards enough to total it out? it's a special order 2017 Z06 with 1481 miles on it. thoughts? TIA

the water is slowly going down but it will take a week before it can get towed.
My personal opinion is the car should be totaled by your insurance company. Once a car gets that much water in it, it is nearly impossible to fix and even if you can get it working in the short term, it will crap out soon enough. So sorry for the loss, however it ends up.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

What do they do with all of these cars that are going to be totalled out? Such a colossal waste! Is there any way these cars could be recycled somehow?
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts

In addition to all the electronic problems, flood-damaged cars have a propensity for mold growing in the car. Best to not keep it.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:03 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

What a difference from the 1970s. Back in the day, the parking lot at work was flooded and my 67 Mustang Fastback had 3" of water over the floor boards. I drove it a couple blocks to the gas station. We changed the oil and trans fluid. At home, I removed the seats and carpeting. Washed the metal floorboard, then the carpeting with a sanitizing agent, replaced the jute and put the whole thing back together. Drove it for another 6 months then traded it for my first Corvette. Back then we had no computers to speak of, most of the electronics were in the dashboard. Except for some wiring, not much was in contact with the water. Completely different from today.

Get notified of new replies

To Hurricane Harvey and my Z06

Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM
DanZR1
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
What do they do with all of these cars that are going to be totalled out? Such a colossal waste! Is there any way these cars could be recycled somehow?
Parts of them will be.

Insurance companies will likely sell them at salvage, and they'll get parted out. Most of the engines and transmissions are probably okay, and could serve as replacement motors, or have a second life in various street rods. Some body panels could be used without issues. Same with the frame, suspension pieces, wheels and tires in some cases. The rest of the car? They'll end up in the scrap yard. All the electronics are junk, as are the seats, carpet, headliner, door panels, soft tops, etc...
Old 09-03-2017, 01:43 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
They are - for parts. Once the insurance company owns the total vehicles they are auctioned off. There will be plenty of low mileage engines and drivetrain components, but with electronic speedos rendered inoperative the actual mileage will be an estimate. Plenty of crash parts as well. And some get bought by people whole - fair enough for those who want a project car.

The real problem is that some will be sold complete through "handlers" through several states to "wash" the salvage note off the title. Since such laws are states' rights kind of thing; not all states mandate such a mark. Scammers are well versed in the process and plenty of these cars will make it to the used market with "flood" or "salvage" missing from the title. You can't erase that the car was originally sold in Houston (a bummer for good cars from there) but the sleazebags out there know how to manipulate the system very well.

Sometimes in cases where there are massive losses, the insurance industry might require the partial destruction of the cars - I recall seeing in a car magazine rows and rows of cars with the center section cut out and the remaining car now being in two pieces....

You would think with the incredible invasion of privacy that we endure today that keeping track of a VIN marked car would be fairly easy. Hell, the condo complex where my friend lives wants to scan the bar code on the registration sticker when I enter as a guest...needless to say this results in quite the scene when I refuse them access to the code....you have my plate on camera; I'm not handing over easily complied and accessed data on my whereabouts to a security company to sell for profit.

Last edited by golden2husky; 09-03-2017 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Sorry hear about this. I'm in west Houston, & luckily my Z51 vert is high & dry in my garage.
Wonder why GM didn't design to install electronics higher on a $60 - $100K car, or least waterproof it.
I figure if Samsung can waterproof my phone, GM can can put a few pelican boxes around the electronics...
With the miles of wiring and hundreds of connectors in a vehicle running from the sensors in the wheel hubs to the dome lights waterproofing every possible source of water intrusion would make a $60K vehicle more like $100K+. Comparing a smart phone to a car is truly apples to oranges.
While floods like this are (unfortunately) becoming more common due to a number of reasons, the hundreds that are destroyed or damaged due to flooding wouldn't justify the cost and materials to waterproof them all. But maybe someday.....

Quick Reply: Hurricane Harvey and my Z06