Sponsored by:

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:38 PM
Rotoloman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear Bra

I just bought a grand sport CE, and i feel like I need to protect my paint. I've been told to put a clear bra with protective coating. I got a price of $3800 for the entire car. Seems high, and I do have concerns that putting something that sticks to the paint could eventually harm the paint upon removal. Is there a particular material I should seek out? 3M has a product that they claim is best on the market. I'd like some advice.....any comments welcome, please.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Xpel Ultimate. And there's no reason to do the entire car.
The following users liked this post:
Blackbird13 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 PM
Rotoloman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Xpel Ultimate. And there's no reason to do the entire car.
What should I cover? If Xpel ultimate is not available in my market, is the 3M product acceptable? Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It should be available. I did the front bumper cover, headlights and bottom of front fenders behind the tires; places where bugs, gravel, etc could cause damage. I also replaced the film in front of the rear wheels with Xpel as the factory film there commonly turns yellow with age.
Rotoloman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Any PPF of any brand is going to help a lot in terms of rock chip damage. 3M was the original PPF brand a decade or more ago, but fell behind other brands over the years. It's my understanding that their new products are now comparable to everyone else.

XPEL Ultimate is the popular choice these days claiming the best protection. Other brands like SunTek are preferred by some because they believe the clarity is better. My installer showed me 3M, Suntek, and XPEL Ultimate samples installed on my car, and I couldn't tell the difference. I went w/ XPEL Ultimate because what I was shown was a bit thicker. The truth is, any of them are going to provide good protection against rock chips.

They can all look great or horrible depending upon the skill of the installer. The installer is everything when it comes to these products.

I covered the entire nose, hood, front fenders, rockers, mirrors and area behind the rear wheels. Anything more than that is overkill. If you want to do it on a budget, nose, mirrors, and rockers are the most vulnerable.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-30-2017 at 12:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Black Rose-MD (08-30-2017), Blackbird13 (08-30-2017), Rotoloman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:15 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Lots of good info above, the only thing I can add us to find a great installer. A great installer will add extra to the pattern which allows them to wrap around the edges. I would suggest doing the whole hood versus 1/2. I have the front, rockers, mirrors and around the rear wheels done. Well worth the money for sure. You say it seems high, it sounds like, for the price, they are going to do paint protection which is a necessity before putting on the film.
Rotoloman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 897 Likes on 310 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Agree with everything Foosh stated. I went with the SunTek Ultra, as my installer does both EXPEL and SunTek Ultra and has switched as their top choice, the SunTek due to claiming it being clearer and shiner than the competition. Here is mine...

The following 3 users liked this post by GarryL:
Black Rose-MD (08-30-2017), Blackbird13 (08-30-2017), Rotoloman (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:31 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
Lots of good info above, the only thing I can add us to find a great installer. A great installer will add extra to the pattern which allows them to wrap around the edges. I would suggest doing the whole hood versus 1/2. I have the front, rockers, mirrors and around the rear wheels done. Well worth the money for sure. You say it seems high, it sounds like, for the price, they are going to do paint protection which is a necessity before putting on the film.
Yep, I neglected the most important part in bold above. However, I think he meant paint correction is the most important part. The clarity of the film is primarily a function of the brilliance of the paint finish underneath. I had the entire car paint corrected (clayed and machine polished) prior to film.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-30-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:05 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The installer I've used for years always uses SunTek, so I've had it on several vehicles including my 2017 GS...always been happy with it. On the GS, I basically did entire front end from windshield forward.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Any PPF of any brand is going to help a lot in terms of rock chip damage. 3M was the original PPF brand a decade or more ago, but fell behind other brands over the years. It's my understanding that their new products are now comparable to everyone else.

XPEL Ultimate is the popular choice these days claiming the best protection. Other brands like SunTek are preferred by some because they believe the clarity is better. My installer showed me 3M, Suntek, and XPEL Ultimate samples installed on my car, and I couldn't tell the difference. I went w/ XPEL Ultimate because what I was shown was a bit thicker. The truth is, any of them are going to provide good protection against rock chips.

They can all look great or horrible depending upon the skill of the installer. The installer is everything when it comes to these products.

I covered the entire nose, hood, front fenders, rockers, mirrors and area behind the rear wheels. Anything more than that is overkill. If you want to do it on a budget, nose, mirrors, and rockers are the most vulnerable.

FOOSH, Premier makes a very good line of PPF, as well. Agreed, no need to wrap entire car.
Foosh (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, I neglected the most important part in bold above. However, I think he meant paint correction is the most important part. The clarity of the film is primarily a function of the brilliance of the paint finish underneath. I had the entire car paint corrected (clayed and machine polished) prior to film.
You are correct, darn spell check and not proof reading, thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Rotoloman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GarryL
Agree with everything Foosh stated. I went with the SunTek Ultra, as my installer does both EXPEL and SunTek Ultra and has switched as their top choice, the SunTek due to claiming it being clearer and shiner than the competition. Here is mine...

Your car is gorgeous!
GarryL (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

I did Suntek front end, hood and front bumper/mirrors for 1800

Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

There are a lot of options out there. I researched it a lot and read that Xpel was believed to be the best, but then saw a test an installer did that indicated that 3M was the best, then contacted a reputable installer who recommends SunTek and has been installing it for years. For the particular product he is recommending, SunTek just up'd the warranty from 5 years to 10. I believe I am just going to do the bumper and mirrors and that will be it. I would like to do more but I just recently bought my car and am buying a lot of other stuff for it, so I am not willing to spend more money on this. Reality is (IMO), you can spend a ton of money of the film/installation and if misfortune happens and your car is wrecked/damaged, the money spent is gone and the film will need to be redone again (the installer I talked to was doing this exact thing, redoing a Vette that had been hit). I agree with those that say doing to the entire car isn't needed.

Last edited by Bob-G; 08-30-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

As noted above, skill of the installer is key.

Another key - since you have a GS (widebody) is that you do the rear quarter panels/fender flares and lower brake vent area. The widebody vetts will pepper those sexy rear fender flares. Having the side skirts on the car helps a lot. But if you're already doing clear film anyway, you'll be glad you protected those rear fenders.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra

Quick Reply: Clear Bra