Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove "OnStar"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

The only situation where I'm in favor of and have paid for onstar is on my parents car. They are both over 75 and live in a somewhat remote area of PA. If they ever get in an accident, need a tow, battery jump, run out of gas, get in an accident, it's peace of mind that, as technically challenged seniors, they can just hit the onstar button, or onstar contacts them if they are in an accident. Personally, i've never signed up for it, except when driving across country once, i paid for a month just in case.
The following users liked this post:
farmer42 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Some have used small opaque dots to cover the lights made from tape, marker, etc.
I just ordered some black gloss adhesive-backed vinyl sheets from Amazon. In a few days I'll see how well that works.

I had asked my tint/x-pel installer to put a piece of window tint over them, but they were concerned about damaging the mirror.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,957 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Not sure why people want to turn them off. If you don't want to pay for the service just let the free trial period expire and you won't have OnStar and you won't FU the vehicle for the next owner. If you are worried about OnStar collecting data after you have unsubscribed wear aluminum foil on your head. They don't collect anything when you have the subscription so why would they bother collecting it when they aren't getting paid to do so.

I have it in all 3 of my vehicles. Even the 2003 Tahoe. I didn't realize it but it covers emergency road side service as I had a flat tire on my Tahoe and the spare got caught half way down and wouldn't release from the bottom of the vehicle. That is when I called and they sent somebody. No need to worry about who I should call just push the button and asked for help. No charge to me and got me back on the road to a tire shop where I could get a replacement tire and a mechanic was able to use some cable to tie the spare back where it was supposed to be.

When I am doing 150+ mph on the track my insurance company doesn't get any notifications and I specifically have OnStar notify them of the mileage on the car so I can qualify for insurance discounts.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Kent1999 (01-16-2018)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by iclick
Some have used small opaque dots to cover the lights made from tape, marker, etc.
Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I just ordered some black gloss adhesive-backed vinyl sheets from Amazon. In a few days I'll see how well that works.

I had asked my tint/x-pel installer to put a piece of window tint over them, but they were concerned about damaging the mirror.
I think someone also sells a gray color, which would blend in better.
Not sure if it's opaque or just heavily "tinted".
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 PM
pcdoc
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I think someone also sells a gray color, which would blend in better.
Not sure if it's opaque or just heavily "tinted".
I use a large mirror with built in DVR that covers up everything. Great for those folks without PDR's.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:56 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I've had that SOS button on my last several cars. Never used any of it. Anyone who believes that your information couldn't be obtained by someone else is living in a dream world. Seems as if you aren't concerned about others having your data you probably aren't enjoying the Corvette very much.

Last edited by vbdenny; 08-20-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
I'm just wondering if there is a safe way to remove On Star on my car..? I realize that there are safety reasons not to remove it, but if I choose to remove it.. How would that be accomplished?? Thanks..
Just pull the on star fuse . The only draw back is your blue tooth phone Mic inside the car deactivates.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someone suggested disconnecting the antenna, though it might still be able to contact the mother ship under some circumstances.

I don't know where/how to actually do that.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

We need a new meme:
WORRIES ABOUT ONSTAR TRACKING & INFORMATION GATHERING/
STILL CARRIES A SMARTPHONE AND USES GOOGLE SERVICES
Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 AM
pcdoc
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
We need a new meme:
WORRIES ABOUT ONSTAR TRACKING & INFORMATION GATHERING/
STILL CARRIES A SMARTPHONE AND USES GOOGLE SERVICES
You are absolutely correct. Let me know what the MEME picture is. Maybe a Corvette cut in half and pointing in the opposite directions??? Probably not.

Sounds like not many people go into their Google account and look at timeline.
Shows exactly where you've been, how you got there, how long you stayed, and where you went next. Just like Big Brother watching.....
Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure why people want to turn them off. If you don't want to pay for the service just let the free trial period expire and you won't have OnStar and you won't FU the vehicle for the next owner.
Who said there'd be a "next owner"? I don't know about you but I'm keeping mine!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 AM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Their accountants.
I declined the privacy statement and haven't heard a word since. According to an article in today's "Washington Post" GM says it will not collect data from my car. Now the question is do I trust them?

Pulling the radio board is a mid winter project.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,238 Likes on 3,471 Posts

Pull the requisite front and rear fuses (search if not mentioned somewhere here). All ya lose is the compass display and the pretty colorid lights on your mirror. Btw, OnStar never got a monthly report correct on my '18.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
I was lucky, my OnStar never worked from new. Every time I go to the dealer for anything, I have to sign my invoice refusing to have OnStar repaired. When I purchased my car the salesman discussed OnStar for about an hour.
I've never been asked to sign anything saying I didn't want OnStar "repaired" and if I ever were I'd tell them to pound salt. I will tell them what I want fixed and what I am willing to pay for to be fixed and the only thing I'd sign is the credit card receipt if required. Requiring me to sign to not repair something is just buffoonery!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rodney123456
why would you not keep the stolen vehicle assistance?
Simple - because it's not worth the money to have it. Sure it's probably great to have if your vehicle is actually stolen. But for most people their car is never stolen. As such one makes a cost benefit analysis and quite frankly that analysis, in my mind, tells me it's not worth it. Many, many others feel the same.

How do you remove it? Simple. Stop paying.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I believe you get the Basic free service for 5 years. Why not at least keep that so you can have them unlock your car if you misplace your fob.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess
Oddly enough, my salesman sat in the car during the OnStar setup. He told me before we even started to NOT give them a credit card number, and to not agree to any kind of billing.

I'd look over at him and he'd give me nods as to yes or no questions. I guess he'd rather have a happy customer than a pissed off one trying to cancel. lol
Ha! That is the same experience I had with my salesman.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove "OnStar"

Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
The only situation where I'm in favor of and have paid for onstar is on my parents car. They are both over 75 and live in a somewhat remote area of PA. If they ever get in an accident, need a tow, battery jump, run out of gas, get in an accident, it's peace of mind that, as technically challenged seniors, they can just hit the onstar button, or onstar contacts them if they are in an accident. Personally, i've never signed up for it, except when driving across country once, i paid for a month just in case.
That's a good reason to have it.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:54 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I get tired of seeing red and blue lights in my mirror. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea for a Corvette?
Simple solution! Did it on my September 2013 Z51 in ~November 2013 after those lights were annoying and my Grand Sport as soon as I got it home!

Just takes a hole punch and black electrical tape!

Small Black Electrical Tape Circles Cover the Lights! Top lights go off some seconds after starting the car.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-16-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess
Oddly enough, my salesman sat in the car during the OnStar setup. He told me before we even started to NOT give them a credit card number, and to not agree to any kind of billing.

I'd look over at him and he'd give me nods as to yes or no questions. I guess he'd rather have a happy customer than a pissed off one trying to cancel. lol
My dealer tells me its $100 in their pocket if they get it activated before the car rolls out. I love my dealer and always get a fair deal. If I can get them $100 from OnStar on my purchase that is the least I can do.

They have families to feed too!