Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I going crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:38 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've accidentally tried this a couple times and it didn't work. Either way, it's not something I plan on doing often.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

No auto E-brake release problems here either, although I share your thoughts on the newer E-brake. I would have much preferred GM engineered the E-brake flip-switch lever to rest in a position to where it was visually obvious when the E-brake is set (without having to look at the dash).

As a back-up I always make sure my M7 is in first gear.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Even though everything in board flat where I live, after driving sticks for years just a habit I developed. After awhile becomes routine.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:30 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
I'm really confused. Exactly which version of software will allow seat recall to work if you haven't set the e-brake prior to re-starting the car? IOW AFAICT there is no version of software where the seat recall will work if you have not set the e-brake prior to trying to start the car. If you know of a software version that allows that then please let us know that version number. Because as far as I'm concerned that version does not exist.
I think the only software difference is manual vs. auto.

You have to have the parking brake set for the auto position recall to work on an M7 car.

For automatic cars, it's a setting in the infotainment system.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm talking about an M7. If you do not set the ebrake on the M7 when you leave the car then the seat recall function will not work when you re-enter the car. I have no idea what it does on an A6 or A8.
Originally Posted by JNess

You have to have the parking brake set for the auto position recall to work on an M7 car.

Perhaps I can explain some of the confusion. With a manual transmission if the ebrake is engaged the seat recall will work by simply starting the engine. If the ebrake is not set recall can be achieved only by pressing and holding the respective memory button on the driver's door. This applies whether or not the engine has been started. I can't speak for others but I prefer to have my seat go to my driving position before I start the car so I don't have such a long reach to the clutch pedal; as such, I always have to push my memory button whether or not I've set the ebrake.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Perhaps I can explain some of the confusion. With a manual transmission if the ebrake is engaged the seat recall will work by simply starting the engine. If the ebrake is not set recall can be achieved only by pressing and holding the respective memory button on the driver's door. This applies whether or not the engine has been started. I can't speak for others but I prefer to have my seat go to my driving position before I start the car so I don't have such a long reach to the clutch pedal; as such, I always have to push my memory button whether or not I've set the ebrake.
This appears to be a "feature" adopted in the 2017 M7 models, which is why some say they've not seen it. I appreciate GM's effort to coax owners into activating their parking brake regularly, but this is a really lame way to do it. I got so tired of the rigmarole that I disabled easy exit, as it wasn't that much easier for me anyway.

Last edited by iclick; 08-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess

What is a setting in the infotainment system?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Perhaps I can explain some of the confusion. With a manual transmission if the ebrake is engaged the seat recall will work by simply starting the engine. If the ebrake is not set recall can be achieved only by pressing and holding the respective memory button on the driver's door.
The question is WHY? Why the difference? Why not move the seat if the e-brake was not set prior to entering the car? (Sorry but I would not think "Hey I just got in my C7. Let's make sure the e-brake is set...).

This applies whether or not the engine has been started.
Logically no. When one of the conditions has "will work by simply starting the engine" then it would seem to me that starting the engine is a requirement, no?

I can't speak for others but I prefer to have my seat go to my driving position before I start the car so I don't have such a long reach to the clutch pedal; as such, I always have to push my memory button whether or not I've set the ebrake.
There are two problems with hitting the button - 1) it's awkward to do it and 2) you have to hold it until the movement stops.

And I still can't understand why it's not automatically set...
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iclick
This appears to be a "feature" adopted in the 2017 M7 models, which is why some say they've not seen it.
Not at all! I have a 2016. I can reproduce every time.

I appreciate GM's effort to coax owners into activating their parking brake regularly, but this is a really lame way to do it. I got so tired of the rigmarole that I disabled easy exit, as it wasn't that much easier for me anyway.
I think you're really are imparting intention where you have no idea that they had that intention at all. This is sorta like the saying "never attribute to malice that which can easily be ascribed to stupidity (or incompetent - or perhaps just a bug!)". It's not just a lame way to do it rather evidence suggests it's a mistake because if they really wanted to insure people set the e-brake they would do it BEFORE the driver leaves the car - not when he gets back in!

I merely discovered this by experimentation after having a number of times when this would happen to me. I then noticed that whenever it did the Park light on the DIC was not there. Then I tested and as I said I can do this reliably every time. I think the people that say it doesn't happen to me have automatics.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:50 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

The question is WHY? Why the difference? Why not move the seat if the e-brake was not set prior to entering the car? (Sorry but I would not think "Hey I just got in my C7. Let's make sure the e-brake is set...).

Logically no. When one of the conditions has "will work by simply starting the engine" then it would seem to me that starting the engine is a requirement, no?

There are two problems with hitting the button - 1) it's awkward to do it and 2) you have to hold it until the movement stops.

And I still can't understand why it's not automatically set...
I'm in complete agreement with you. My only intent was to try to help those here who may be confused about how the system actually operates.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by iclick
This appears to be a "feature" adopted in the 2017 M7 models, which is why some say they've not seen it. I appreciate GM's effort to coax owners into activating their parking brake regularly, but this is a really lame way to do it. I got so tired of the rigmarole that I disabled easy exit, as it wasn't that much easier for me anyway.
Mine is a 2015 and it behaves the same way.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 AM
pharaoh4269
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Agreed

The e-brake activation and deactivation is probably the biggest irritation I have with what is otherwise (in my experience) a perfect car. Numerous times I have pushed / pulled the toggle too quickly and gotten no response from the e-brake actuator.

Corvette (and really all cars) you should be certain that when you want the e-brake on, it goes on the first time no question.

Hell the old handle saved my *** as a kid, Dad's Tercel wagon ride home from school, stalled van on a steep incline. Dad gets out of the car to help. Forgets to set the brake and the car immediately starts to roll backwards down a 8% hill. 8 years old and I knew to grab that handle and pull.......
Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by pharaoh4269
The e-brake activation and deactivation is probably the biggest irritation I have with what is otherwise (in my experience) a perfect car. Numerous times I have pushed / pulled the toggle too quickly and gotten no response from the e-brake actuator.

Corvette (and really all cars) you should be certain that when you want the e-brake on, it goes on the first time no question.

Hell the old handle saved my *** as a kid, Dad's Tercel wagon ride home from school, stalled van on a steep incline. Dad gets out of the car to help. Forgets to set the brake and the car immediately starts to roll backwards down a 8% hill. 8 years old and I knew to grab that handle and pull.......
Interesting thread! The software in an M7 is different than in an A8. In my 2014 M7 and now my Grand Sport M7 need to have the brake on to have it move the seat or start when you push the button. In fact the "push to move the seat" was a software patch the dealer had to install for all 2014 and some 2015 before it was incorporated as standard. I never did get it as had learned a two handed quicker approach to start the car!

Since the early '60s when I had a '41 coupe with "three on the floor" followed by '50 Ford with "three on the tree," and every DD I have had since have been standard shifts. I never put the car in gear when parked! Back way when it was cautioned that if someone tapped your bumper it could break something in the trans. Problably true with those older cars and when we had "real" bumpers and some folks parked by hitting them!

I did have an issue with my C7 with which way to push the button until we bought our BMW SUV and it has a similar button. The salesman said, "think of it as the lever you had in previous cars, and pull up to set and down to release." Now it's 2nd nature.

The only time I put the car in gear is when parking on a hill. But since we don't have hills in Eastern SC, a none issue!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:38 AM
defaria
Safety Car

I agree, hence my repeated suggestion that the e-brake should be auto set. If the car can set the exit position because it knows you've parked the car and you're leaving it then why not auto set the e-brake? The only thing I can think of is that there's no mechanism to do this automatically.

It's been my experience that if you are quick on the e-brake you probably haven't set it. I tend to look at the DIC to see the Park light and/or flick that sucker up a few times as I'm leaving. But it'd be way better if it did it itself! I don't understand why the brilliant engineering minds at GM couldn't have anticipated this nor why they would make it such that the car would not go to seat position #1 if the e-brake was not set.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

I agree, hence my repeated suggestion that the e-brake should be auto set. If the car can set the exit position because it knows you've parked the car and you're leaving it then why not auto set the e-brake? The only thing I can think of is that there's no mechanism to do this automatically.

It's been my experience that if you are quick on the e-brake you probably haven't set it. I tend to look at the DIC to see the Park light and/or flick that sucker up a few times as I'm leaving. But it'd be way better if it did it itself! I don't understand why the brilliant engineering minds at GM couldn't have anticipated this nor why they would make it such that the car would not go to seat position #1 if the e-brake was not set.
Don't believe that would work for me with an M7! The car only goes into my exit position when the door opens! Would not want the car to move if I am on a slight incline reaching for something on the passenger seat, etc, until I do.

The other thing I found does not work in my GS as it did not in my 2014 C7 is the brake releasing automatically when I back-up out of the garage. Forced it after the car had stalled when I tried in 2013 with my C7. Gave it more gas and it released with bang but the e-brake idiot light stayed on. Would not come off until I went into town and restarted the car no matter how often I pressed the button. Was concerned I would have to bring it to the dealer! Always a shudder thought!

Never tried again. Tried once in the GS and felt the engine trying to stall. So, like I did in my 2014 for 3 years, when I felt he engine trying to stall, realize I had not released the brake, press in the clutch and start over!

My preference would be to have a handle like prior to e-Brake so it was obvious it was set or released. But like all other modern changes I got used to it! Few workarounds needed in the C7 but far fewer than I have every day with Microsoft products, Dreamweaver etc!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-10-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Am I going crazy...