Sponsored by:

Blinking third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Blinking third brake light

did a search, no talk of this since 11/2 years ago. Has anyone found the blinking lite yet? Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 01:23 AM
Wolfie
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Amazon has two. The Signal Dynamics Back Off is $33.18, and the LED brake Flasher is $13.97. I talked to a fella at a car show and he bought his flasher on Amazon and it worked good. His was not on a Corvette. Many years ago I installed a Brake Light Enhancer on an 87 Corvette and It was wired to all three lights. It worked very good. This flashed three or five times and then was solid. What I didn't like about it was in bumper to bumper traffic it was constantly flashing. I always thought I was annoying the car behind me.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfie
Amazon has two. The Signal Dynamics Back Off is $33.18, and the LED brake Flasher is $13.97. I talked to a fella at a car show and he bought his flasher on Amazon and it worked good. His was not on a Corvette. Many years ago I installed a Brake Light Enhancer on an 87 Corvette and It was wired to all three lights. It worked very good. This flashed three or five times and then was solid. What I didn't like about it was in bumper to bumper traffic it was constantly flashing. I always thought I was annoying the car behind me.
Need every help from keeping folks out or your rear. Especially today with distracted driving from texting or even to look down to see who sent a message.

Installed a third brake light flasher on my C6 with a simple kit. Quality systems, like it, blinked when you first hit the brakes then stopped to avoid irritation if stopped at a light etc.

About three years ago a company who made a flashing module had a representative install one on a C7 by removing a taillight and grabbing a wire with a hook. But it was not easy and they provided no details. Assumed they were preparing to make a kit and provide instructions etc- never happened! Been waiting for someone to offer a kit or to show how. Has never seen posted.

Looked into buying a module for ~$10 from Amazon or eBay but that requires access to the rear wiring and figuring how to splice it in. The only way it appears that can be done is to remove the rear bumper! If someone would make a kit, even if it had to be spliced, that could be installed without removing the bumper, would pay ~$50!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-26-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'd like to buy a unit that blinks the center light only and can be installed on the C7 without removing the bumper. I had one on my C5. It was already installed when I bought the car. It was very effective in getting the attention of tailgaters. Not 100%, but enough that I thought it was worth it. These blinking lights are very effective at getting a driver who is distracted to pay attention.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

On my C6 the install was easy, only removed the third brake light. In 4 years no one has offered a kit for C7s so getting access to the wires is obviously not easy!

In SC in additon to texting while driving is only a $25 fine, you can text when the car is stopped for a light! I have watched as those who are "conditioned" to look at their phone if it beeps look at the phone was they are stopping for a light. Can see them in my mirror texting when the light turns green, they are paying NO attention to the road. My current MO is when stopping for a red light, several hundred feet from the light or car in front I slow to a crawl and force whoever is behind to watch my crawling car instead of being in my rear end!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-26-2017 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orca1946 (04-01-2019)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 658 Posts

As the others have said, removing the bumper is not easy. I have two projects planned for winter where it is cool enough to remove the bumper. Still, I would prefer a plug and play as I am not a fan of chopping up harnesses. I'll look at the service manuals as they have most of the harnesses in there (but no wiring diagrams) as usually they list the Mouser Connector part numbers. It is just the connectors are not easy to find in the manuals and Mouser does not always stock all that are needed.

I have never found a plug & play flasher for the C7.

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

This should be easy to do on the C7, without taking the rear bumper off, as the center stoplight is fed thru a separate wire, from the BCM. The flasher circuit can be added next to the BCM, located in the toe-kick area in the passenger side footwell. BCM connector X4, pin 11 drives the center stoplight. X4 is the black connector between the green and brown connectors. Pin 11 should be a violet wire with a white stripe.

Last edited by ersatz928; 07-26-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Flashing stop light

I agree how easy it was to install one of these on my C-6 The module would flash on the first application of the brakes and then delay for subsequence applications .
Well this will blow you away my 16 Buick Lacrosse premium plus 2 came with a flashing brake light go figure
Somebody is missing the boat on coming up with this in an easy to install kit. I would buy it.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
But have looked at the Service Manual. See no way to access the wiring without removing the rear bumper! Those $10 modules from Amazon etc would probably work fine IF you could get at the wires to splice it in!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-26-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,088 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
This should be easy to do on the C7, without taking the rear bumper off, as the center stoplight is fed thru a separate wire, from the BCM. The flasher circuit can be added next to the BCM, located in the toe-kick area in the passenger side footwell. BCM connector X4, pin 11 drives the center stoplight.

OK, another design project on my C7 to-do list.........
Pardon my ignorance. I thought it was a PITA to get to the BCM? I thought one needed to remove the pass seat and then the pass carpeting? Not like the C6 as I understood it. Or am I wrong? Please educate me.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Easy to get to the BCM, just pull up the front edge of the carpet at the front of the passenger footwell....
Old 07-26-2017, 04:46 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

I got the About $15 from Amazon. Works great. Plenty of settings. Yes the rear bumper has to come off. Not that bad of a job if you follow the instructions posted on the forum. My Take off, install the unit, and program the unit was just about two hours and did it by myself.

Last edited by GTFD2; 07-26-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

There is a company (WebElectric Products) that makes an excellent unit for the C5 and C6 that is "plug and play", no splicing. Plus, it has a delay feature that prevents repeatedly flashing in stop-and-go traffic.

From their website:
The module automatically pulses your third brake light when you apply your brakes. The light will pulsate on and off for about a second, then stay on steady for as long as you press the brake pedal. The unit is designed to create a gentle fluttering of light, so your car is more noticeable, yet it doesn't aggravate the driver behind you (notice how you can see it flashing, even while reading text down here!).

The "Delay-Repeat" circuit means the brake lights have to be off for at least 15 seconds before the cycle can be restarted. So, if you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the brake light isn't always pulsing.
I tried to get them to create a plug-and-play module for the C7 - even gave them wiring diagrams and connector part numbers. They were unable to source the connector from "their supplier" and killed the idea.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
There is a company (WebElectric Products) that makes an excellent unit for the C5 and C6 that is "plug and play", no splicing. Plus, it has a delay feature that prevents repeatedly flashing in stop-and-go traffic.

I tried to get them to create a plug-and-play module for the C7 - even gave them wiring diagrams and connector part numbers. They were unable to source the connector from "their supplier" and killed the idea.
Good info, I'm willing to cut and splice, no problem. It's access. Since they looked into it, I'll ask and see what they think about access.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

On my C6 the install was easy, only removed the third brake light. In 4 years no one has offered a kit for C7s so getting access to the wires is obviously not easy!

In SC in additon to texting while driving is only a $25 fine, you can text when the car is stopped for a light! I have watched as those who are "conditioned" to look at their phone if it beeps look at the phone was they are stopping for a light. Can see them in my mirror texting when the light turns green, they are paying NO attention to the road. My current MO is when stopping for a red light, several hundred feet from the light or car in front I slow to a crawl and force whoever is behind to watch my crawling car instead of being in my rear end!
A good plan for you but terrible for anyone behind you with a manual transmission. Hate when people stop way back and creep when driving a stick.
The following users liked this post:
Malinko (02-22-2020)
Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Good info, I'm willing to cut and splice, no problem. It's access. Since they looked into it, I'll ask and see what they think about access.
i don't think they ever got to the "access" aspect.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

WebElectric products does make a "universal" module that requires splicing:

It has the same "delay feature" as their plug-and-play units.

Get notified of new replies

To Blinking third brake light

Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
i don't think they ever got to the "access" aspect.
I emailed, we'll see if they have any info.

Wish I had saved that info from a rep for a company making these. There was little detail but as I recall he removed the right taillight Bezel, reached in the space, pulled out a wire(s) and spliced in a module.

That is as much detail as I recall and it was very sketchy.

We'll see what info I get. With well over 100,000 C7 sold don't see they really need any connectors just some splice wire connectors and perhaps clip a wire. However it you have to remove the bumper to access, that would be a problem and make many sales unlikely.

Surprised with some folks removing the bumper for various reasons no one has reported installing a blinker.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-26-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

I emailed, we'll see if they have any info.

Surprised with some folks removing the bumper for various reasons no one has reported installing a blinker.
See post 12.

I tried to go in thru the tail light. Was able to hook the wire but could not get it out far enough to make a splice.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:40 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

See post #7, there is no need to remove the bumper cover, the wire you need to splice into is easily accessable in the passenger footwell, at the BCM.

See pic 11 of the below post#1 for instructions to access the BCM.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html

Last edited by ersatz928; 07-27-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Blinking third brake light