sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
the c7 is like nice furniture ...nice to look at and sit in

just don't drive it ..why do you think so many are
{ garage queens}

miss looking at mine ..but life is too short ..so i said bye bye
i screwed up ..and learned my lesson ...
Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

[QUOTE=NSC5;1595133248]Programming seems to be a major issue with some of the current GM automatics. The 8L90 in my Z06 is rarely in auto mode because I won't let it go into V4 mode so only when I have the Range module plugged is it in auto. But when it is in auto it shifts flawlessly. In Corvettes the major problem seems to be shudder related to V4 mode and the overworked converter clutch but its nearly identical lower torque little brother (8L45) used in several Cadillac models seems to suffer from rough and unpredictable shift behavior often choosing an unreasonable gear or stuttering as to which it should choose which is programming and not the basic transmission.

Between what I have seen of poor programming of the 8L45 series and the stupid modulated clutch operation during V4 mode (another programming choice) with the 8L90 I believe the 8L could be vying for the title of Windows 10 of the transmission world. This is a shame because the basic 8L series transmission is very well built but it is being literally destroyed in the Corvette by poor programming choices and the enjoyment of it is being destroyed in other models by clunky programming.

I totally agree must issues with the 8l90 are ralated to poor programing, one of my sons is a GM tuner and completely loves the A8s he admires these transmissions in the C7Z like no other he just loves them cause he can make them do whatever he wants them to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by xBoostx:
Foosh (07-13-2017), NSC5 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
How do you like the Corolla?
funny you should ask ..in 1980 I bought a brand new corolla...had to wait in line to get one....the service manager told me that the car will go forever...until ya wreck it ...well he was correct..drove the heck out it ..8 years never a single problem ..brakes ..tires ..thats it ....

you may want to get one as a rental when your C7 is in the shop for repairs
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
it's not just the severe/repeated problems, it's the lack of support, especially when spending this much and the expectations that arise with that; you feel you should have been treated better.....I don't blame you.

Good luck with your next choice.
You got that right. While there are technical problems, some appearing to be pretty major, the biggest problem is GM's attitude. Just start with them standing 10 feet in front of me and promising "track ready from the factory" without a "but the transmission will overheat in 15 minutes" that they obviously new about. How about Tadge's vaporware cooling kit?

Then we get to all the other transmission problems and the difficulty in dealing with them because Of GM. My dealer is great. I wish they sold other brands because I'd love to keep them.

And just FYI, I've owned a number of Vettes, a C4, C5, and C6, plus a Camaro and Firebird, I loved all of them. But this is the "new" GM, which is technically not even the same company that made those previous cars, and their behavior is just unacceptable.

So hey, if GM is OK with their only customers being the lemmings that defend them no matter what crap they produce or how they treat their customers, then I guess they'll find out how many of those people there are. Might be a lot since this country can support two political parties with that same attitude. Just won't be me.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:10 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
See how stupid that looks and sounds?
Sam found a C7-hating thread to entertain him for another day... If I were you I'd just quietly enjoy it (for whatever pathetic reason it makes you happy) rather than doling out the thanks and calling people stupid.
23/C8Z (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JLargo
Should have bought a Dodge, awesome A8 in the Hellcat
Should have bought a Ferrari, awesome DCT in the 488....(see how silly that is?)

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If I were you I'd just quietly enjoy it (for whatever pathetic reason it makes you happy) rather than doling out the thanks and calling people stupid.
Trolls don't do that.
23/C8Z (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
funny you should ask ..in 1980 I bought a brand new corolla...had to wait in line to get one....the service manager told me that the car will go forever...until ya wreck it ...well he was correct..drove the heck out it ..8 years never a single problem ..brakes ..tires ..thats it ....

you may want to get one as a rental when your C7 is in the shop for repairs
I rented one once and never again. Would rather ride my bike to work.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I prefer to drive a car with a soul and not an appliance.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

If this is 3 times for the same A8 problems and it is still not resolved.... then why is the OP not lemon lawing the car? I sure would!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 PM
garywalsh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
After 10 completely trouble-free years with my C6 convertible (and I mean 100% trouble free), I was deciding whether or not to shop the numerous 2017 C7s available at the larger retailers or order a 2018. As I began to research the newest versions of the C7, the dreaded A8 tranny issues appeared here, there and everywhere. My thoughts went back to my first glimpse of the 2014 C7 in person, and my interest was especially piqued by the introduction of the Premiere Edition convertible - loaded with about every option GM could cram into it (just the way I like 'em), and in the same color combination as my first brand-new LT-1 convertible in 1972, dark green with a brown interior. As I thought about the facts that (1) This was a limited-edition car (550 produced), (2) It featured an engine referred to once again as an LT-1, and (3) It was equipped with the A6 transmission, not the troublesome A8 . . . it became clear what I really wanted to do.

It took a bit of searching, but I turned up a practically new (5000 miles) C7 Premiere Edition located close enough to make an in-person inspection possible. So that's what's in my garage now, next to my 1962 300 hp/4-speed which fulfills my need for clutch-pedal enhanced driving enjoyment. I think I may have not only gotten the exact car of my dreams - but may have dodged a potential bullet in the process. I'm very sorry to hear of the OP's troubles with his A8, I expect I would be just as upset and disappointed as he is. Time for GM to step up on this issue, don't you think? Just my opinion, of course.

As for me . . . I couldn't be happier.
I was looking for a Premium Edition until it was suggested to me to get the A8 transmission. After reading about all these issues, I think I'm going to start looking for a '14 Premium Edition again.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM
golddog
Melting Slicks

Received 2,900 Likes on 993 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

GM definitely needs to up their customer service game, especially with their top vehicle. I have a 17 Challenger SRT 392 that needed a new differential (wrong fluid installed at factory) and a new uconnect head unit within the first 500 miles. I contacted the Dodge SRT customer service and was called every other day during the repair process. The head unit caused my car to stay at the dealership for 17 days. It has since been replaced, works great, and I received a check in the mail $750 for my inconvenience. GM should take note of this and start taking care of its Corvette owners when problems appear.

Last edited by golddog; 07-13-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

i am coming from BMW - 550i with dreaded N63 'customer care campaign'. Then went M5 that drank a quart every 800-900 miles - 'normal'. Best stereos on the planet and insane turbo boost but still issues.

Tradeoffs. Physics. Mechanics. Human engineered and built.

Sell it and move on. Probably best all-around car out there is the 911. It, too, can have its own issues

Best bang for the buck - Corvette without question.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

If the man bought a car, had too many problems with it to justify keeping it, why on Gods green earth would any of you care? Because you own the same particular car and feel insulted that he didn't like having a car that gave him problems? Jesus people, grow up. It's a freaken car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crushinator:
sam90lx (07-13-2017), yeller z06 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:01 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

^^It's the internet. It's not supposed to make sense (as far as I can tell).
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by golddog
GM definitely needs to up their customer service game, especially with their top vehicle. I have a 17 Challenger SRT 392 that needed a new differential (wrong fluid installed at factory) and a new uconnect head unit within the first 500 miles. I contacted the Dodge SRT customer service and was called every other day during the repair process. The head unit caused my car to stay at the dealership for 17 days. It has since been replaced, works great, and I received a check in the mail $750 for my inconvenience. GM should take note of this and start taking care of its Corvette owners when problems appear.
Maybe GM customer service is just "over-whelmed" with so many complaints & just get cranky. Just kidding-I think!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Crushinator
If the man bought a car, had too many problems with it to justify keeping it, why on Gods green earth would any of you care? Because you own the same particular car and feel insulted that he didn't like having a car that gave him problems? Jesus people, grow up. It's a freaken car.
Maybe he should take that very thing into advisement. He's ranting and raving and carrying on about his vast misfortune in, of all places, the Corvette forum. As has been pointed out, the lemon law is available for situations like this. So why doesn't he take a rational approach and take advantage of it to get his money back?? Is there something he's not telling us? Is there more to the story? And you're absolutely right. Bottom line is nobody really cares. Is anyone going to sell their corvette because of this guy's story? Is anyone going to not buy a corvette because of this guy's story? Probably not. So what's the point? It's a freaken car.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,247 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Those A8 guy's are ballsy.
Or in my case, I have a chronic left foot injury so an A8 was my only choice.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 AM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Should have bought a Ferrari, awesome DCT in the 488....(see how silly that is?)
Maintenance costs too much

Get notified of new replies

To Had all I can stand, trading this POS

Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Those A8 guy's are ballsy.
I have had two of them. They both worked great. The only reason I bought the Z06 was because of the A8.

Last edited by robertbruce; 07-14-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
3 transmission replacements is ridiculous by any standard. You got a lemon for sure. I can't speak to other GM cars since this is my first.

If you are done with GM for good, as I am with LandRover (similar story as yours), go get a Porsche. The lemon ration (they do have them) is far lower than with GM.
Go back and read his post. He did not say his transmission has been REPLACED three times.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
After 2 months of dealing with this C7, its clear that being a GM owner is just not for me. The transmission has been pulled from the car 3 times now, and the issues are still not resolved.

I'm just over it. The only possible reason to spend this kind of money on a sports car is if you enjoy it. Even if it was fixed today, the experience has completely eroded any kind of enjoyment that I was hoping to get from owning a Corvette.

It's just not a viable car to own long-term, and I would not consider owning a GM car at this point under any circumstance. Just look at the other transmission failures across the rest of their product lines...

A big F-YOU also to Classic Chevrolet in Sugarland, TX for throwing up their hands. The tech even confirmed that the engine is still running so rough that its triggering the knock sensor, but they just aren't going to do anything about it.

Just throwing this out there before I deactivate my account here, just in case I can possibly save one person from the terrible mistake I made by assuming that a C7 Corvette is a viable vehicle to actually drive further than 10,000mi without its drivetrain imploding.

Queue the GM apologists replying, telling me how ridiculous I am, and how their car is super-great. Out of 3 people I know with C7's, now all 3 of us have had transmission replacements. You can't tell me that's an anomaly.

It's just not a well built car. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
I can certainly understand how you feel. Once you get soured on a car, it's not worth keeping. In fact, just looking at it can bring back the bad feelings.

Sell it, trade it and get something that will make you happy. :Life is way too short to have it ruined by a piece of machinery.

While the C7 is a great car in many respects, the A8 is problematic across their product line. W/O a complete redesign (or a return to the A6), we are stuck with it until the next model.

Quick Reply: Had all I can stand, trading this POS