Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up somehow, now I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I screwed up somehow, now I need help!

I washed the car with Dawn. I applied RejeX (outside temp about 90, but I'm in garage) maybe I didn't wait the whole 15 minutes before I removed the product, but I did wait until it hazed. So far so good. Two days later it rained, so I thought I'd hose the car off before I put it in the garage in hopes of knock some dirt off, thanks to the RejeX. What I didn't do, was dry the car off before putting it away. (Note: City water) Now I've got water spots that I can't get off. I even tried polishing compound. (all by hand, no buffer) That helped a little, but they're still there.

How did the water get past the RejeX, and how do I get rid of the water spots?

Your help in this matter, and several in the past, is most appreciated.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM
hot_rod
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-type-iii.html

Link to Autogeek and an article written by Mike Phillips on the subject of water spots
The following 3 users liked this post by hot_rod:
kenownr (06-29-2017), Landru (06-29-2017), petepd (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:22 AM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

Depending on what is in the water, it can be a real problem to get the spots removed. Last year I had a light misty rain hit mine a few miles from the house and when I pulled it out of the garage a few days later to wash it, I could not get the spots off. I had spots on the Xpel, the paint, and the glass. I tried waxes, CLR, vinegar, acetone, scrapping the glass with razor blade and nothing worked. I took it to a local detail shop last month and had the paint corrected and had it glass coated but it took 2 guys all day working on it to get it off. They almost had to resort to sandpaper to get the spots off. They even had to go with 0000 steel wool saturated with chrome polish on all of the glass to get the spots off.

You can try try whatever you have at home and feel comfortable with putting on the car; however, you may be required to seek professional help like I did to get rid of the spots. While I know many people drive in the rain and never have an issue but when you go through a costly repair, you may never let your car see the rain again.
The following 2 users liked this post by -HAIRBALL-:
LagunaSecaZ06 (08-30-2019), petepd (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by petepd
I washed the car with Dawn. I applied RejeX (outside temp about 90, but I'm in garage) maybe I didn't wait the whole 15 minutes before I removed the product, but I did wait until it hazed. So far so good. Two days later it rained, so I thought I'd hose the car off before I put it in the garage in hopes of knock some dirt off, thanks to the RejeX. What I didn't do, was dry the car off before putting it away. (Note: City water) Now I've got water spots that I can't get off. I even tried polishing compound. (all by hand, no buffer) That helped a little, but they're still there.

1st mistake, washing the car with Dawn. Big no. That is from several high end auto detailers. and do not use Dawn on the wheels.

Use a low Alkaline product on body panels and wheels.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (08-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Nukmeister1
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I got caught in the rain and by time I got home car was dry. The following day I washed the car twice and detailed it and still had these spots on the car. My car has Xpel - you can see them on the stinger stripe. The spots are everywhere. Even on my clear roof

Old 06-29-2017, 03:05 PM
petepd
Racer

Originally Posted by capecodvette
1st mistake, washing the car with Dawn. Big no. That is from several high end auto detailers. and do not use Dawn on the wheels.

Just following directions of the manufacturer of RejeX.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:10 PM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Put Rejex on my boat a few years ago, everyone on the boating forum raved about it, looked great for about 2 weeks, then got dull and cloudy. Was a bitch to remove, had to rub the boat out with heavy cut rubbing compound. Never again with that crap. It was a lesson well learned...
Old 06-29-2017, 04:15 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Many people recommend using Dawn to remove old wax, but it needs to be followed by a good rinse and preferable a clay bar. Wax removing car wash is available, but dawn is commonly used.

Never use either of these if you do not wish to remove the wax.

Originally Posted by capecodvette

Old 06-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dawn is too harsh

Never use dishwashing detergent on a car it'll strip it down and dull the shine. I use this stuff......It shows a picture of a Corvette right on the bottle!

Old 06-29-2017, 04:47 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I recently had the same problem (thankfully, not with my Corvette). I ended up using a very mild Adams polishing compound with my small random orbiter and it took out all of the spots.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I used dish soap before a clay and wax with no problems.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Jcaroglani
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20

Thanks to the people on here I got a CR spotless water filter for washing and rinsing my car. Works great no water spots.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:41 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I know this is hard to believe but letting the car sit outside open a nice rain may remove all the water spots. I had my 2006 get soaked by a sprinkler system in the heat of summer and the whole car was ugly water spots. Two days later it rained and poof, the spots were gone!
The following users liked this post:
probono (07-11-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I know this is hard to believe but letting the car sit outside open a nice rain may remove all the water spots. I had my 2006 get soaked by a sprinkler system in the heat of summer and the whole car was ugly water spots. Two days later it rained and poof, the spots were gone!
I doubt that happened. More like the acid rain just baked in over the old water spots lol.

I wouldn't use dishwash soap. It's been discussed over ane over here and elsewhere there's no benefit to it. even the spokespeople for those companies say their product is not for use on automobiles regardless. Very harsh on weatherstrip plastics etc. That's them not me.

for me I use same meguiars wash I always do on other cars, vette hasnt needed a wash yet
only the wheels get cleaned that way. I do use a nano-scrub sponge it's better than a clay bar in if you drop it you rinse it and no harm no foul.

OP. Try meguiars ultimate compound with a yellow lake country foam pad on a DA polisher. You couldn't burn the paint if you tried your best and that's about the weakest compound so you won't be cutting a thing off the clear.

this happened to me with rain. The other day. My car was rained on briefly but I was out to dinner. When I got back everything looked fine. Drive home water beaded right off. So I cleaned the car with griots detailer spray and the next day I noticed the hood bulge had a few spots on it that didn't come out.

I have opticoat on my car. I figured the he'll with it. And used the DA and the ultimate compound came right off. So to be safe IN CASE i cut into the opti, i cleaned the bulge with alcohol and water mix then reapplied the opticoat.

the reason it got spotted is I drove the car to my buddies 90f outside. Car was hot and engine also hot obviously. So it rained and the beading water burned through into the opticoat in a few spots. The trunklid and door had zero issue (not Baking over an engine like hood bulge).

and the sun was out whole time, worst scenario to have i guess? My car is garaged (climate controlled not covered) and not rain driven (purposely). One day I'll GET caught in it who cares. I just would HATE to actually have to wash this car ever lol. Hasn't been washed since it left dealer! And truth be told if Mike Furman didn't wash it himself I wouldn't have let them do it lol.

OP if that doesn't work next least harsh way is the meguiars ultra compound system. Awesome product line.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

How did the water get past the Rejex, and how do I get rid of the water spots?

Don't think Rejex is the problem.
I have Xpel and use Rejex and top if off with 303 Speed Detailer.
Maybe a 2nd Rejex coat might have helped since it will go on a lot better after the 1st coat.
But I drove to FL end of May and hit rain a few times.
Plus parked next to a Sprinkler system at one of the Hotels one night.
Didn't clean the car until after reaching FL.
Then drove 3 hours in torrential rain leaving FL.
Drove in the rain a few times in MA now, and after all that no problem with water spots.
There were water spots but they wiped right off with Glass Plus window cleaner.
Good Luck
Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM
petepd
Racer

UPDATE: I spoke with the manufacturer of RejeX and found out that it has a 2 year shelf life, and that the store I bought it from had not ordered any in 4 years. So that expains that.

Additionally, I found that clay barring did not remove the water spots, but polishing compound and an orbital buffer DID remove them.

Most importantly, the RejeX people could not have been nicer, and sent me a new bottle gratis, even tho I didn't buy it from them.

So....that's all, folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by petepd:
beaversstonehaven (08-29-2019), Rebel Yell (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 AM
tonycorvettes
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

don't need tech2 to relearn your password if you remove ypour rcdlr and put it back go here

Get notified of new replies

To I screwed up somehow, now I need help!

Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 AM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tonycorvettes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSpSbd05wa0 don't need tech2 to relearn your password if you remove ypour rcdlr and put it back go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSpSbd05wa0
Old 08-29-2019, 02:24 AM
123vette456
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Go to a car supplier for professional auto detailers. There is a product that will take off water spots.It is called "Eraser Gel Water Spot Remover" "3D" it works great. It works on glass or paint. Been using it for years. It is on Amazon. My old bottle says105WOZ16 if that helps.
This should solve your problem.

Last edited by 123vette456; 08-29-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

How to avoid the forum Time Tunnel, and replying to a 13 year old related thread.

Click on your avatar, and go to your user page.

Last edited by L8ter; 08-30-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quick Reply: I screwed up somehow, now I need help!