Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

For summer performance.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

OP, I would go with the Michelin A/S 3+ ZP Run Flats.
Except for heavy snow/ice situations, she'll be able to drive in All weather conditions and also not worry about being stuck somewhere with a Flat Tire.
Michelin's constant performance improvements with their A/S tires are so close to Summer Only tires it's impressive.
I have 2 sets of wheels and tires, 18-19 wheels with the Original style Michelin A/S Pilot Sport Plus Run Flats, and 19-20 wheels with the PSS OEM Z51 Run Flat tires.
But will eventually get the Michelin A/S 3+ ZP Run Flats in 19-20 and drive them all year round.
Good luck what ever you decide
The following users liked this post:
767guy (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffer
great comments but why no think about selling the new tires and buying the as3+runflats like I did and be a little safer

they cost less than the factory tires so your out of pocket costs are minimal

Jefferson
That is a very good choice.

I have a "test course" I've run twice now with immediate back-to-back comparisons (under the same conditions) of the PSS and AS3+. That course is about a 10-mile loop of very twisty country roads with little or no traffic.

The first test was last October, temp 45 degrees, dry pavement, sunny, and I ran the PSS, pushing as hard as I felt comfortable in Sport mode. I then came home, immediately bolted on my new AS3+ set, and drove the same route about 45 minutes later. The difference was night and day, and I felt comfortable pushing the AS3+ much harder and faster. Grip was noticeably better.

The second test was last month (May) when I was preparing to switch back to the PSS. I ran the same loop at 85 degrees, dry pavement, sunny on the AS3+, as hard as I comfortably could on a public road. Grip was superb. I then repeated the same process as in the fall test on the PSS. Grip was also superb, but quite frankly I couldn't tell a difference between the two tires in that test. I suspect it would be different in a track session.

My conclusion is that the AS3+ is dramatically better in cool/cold temps, and most people will not notice the difference in street driving even in hot temps.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-29-2017 at 01:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
767guy (06-30-2017), Dif (06-29-2017), Scruff Vette (07-10-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 02:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"At temps below 50 degrees, traction is noticeably compromised on the OEM PSS, and as the temp declines from there it gets really bad. You will never get enough heat in the tires in cold street use for them to perform even close to the amount of grip they produce in the warm summer months. You can baby the throttle and drive the car very carefully, but keep in mind your stopping distances will be compromised as well. You can't drive the car as you normally would in the summer without possible negative consequences." by Foosh

I think this entire para, and his subsequent comments re not having maximum braking is spot on. And, to amplify on the word "traction" that also means you will not have nearly the same ability for the car to handle as well as in summer, especially in an emergency maneuver.

For those who want to think about this a little, consider what happens in all forms of auto racing: there is air (ambient) temperature, there is track temperature and there are tires made for track temps. In hot weather, the track temp can be anywhere from 20-50 degrees more than air temp. In colder weather, road temp can be 10, 20 or more degrees less than air temp. And as said above by Foosh, you may/will never get the tire temps up to where they will perform as they do in summer. And, that is why they are called "summer tires."
Foosh (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That is a very good choice.

I have a "test course" I've run twice now with immediate back-to-back comparisons (under the same conditions) of the PSS and AS3+. That course is about a 10-mile loop of very twisty country roads with little or no traffic.

The first test was last October, temp 45 degrees, dry pavement, sunny, and I ran the PSS, pushing as hard as I felt comfortable in Sport mode. I then came home, immediately bolted on my new AS3+ set, and drove the same route about 45 minutes later. The difference was night and day, and I felt comfortable pushing the AS3+ much harder and faster. Grip was noticeably better.

The second test was last month (May) when I was preparing to switch back to the PSS. I ran the same loop at 85 degrees, dry pavement, sunny on the AS3+, as hard as I comfortably could on a public road. Grip was superb. I then repeated the same process as in the fall test on the PSS. Grip was also superb, but quite frankly I couldn't tell a difference between the two tires in that test. I suspect it would be different in a track session.

My conclusion is that the AS3+ is dramatically better in cool/cold temps, and most people will not notice the difference in street driving even in hot temps.
Ver very good post it tests in real world conditions with an unbiased account

once more for most people cannot drive the vehicles to the max the tires allow without being on a track

For almost everyone's needs including the op the +3 tires will work as good if not better for most cool weather uses and as good for warm weather and the mileage for these tires is supposed to be pretty good

Jefferson

Last edited by Jeffer; 06-29-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:43 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

[QUOTE=tbasco 6;1595042807]
Originally Posted by 767guy
I have 4 years of GM roadside assistance and carry a compressor/ slime kit in the rear cubby

I vaguely remember something about flat-fix (slime) not being compatible with the original pressure sensors. Has new technology in either the sensors or the slime eliminated any problems?
Our GM parts guy that sold me the kit says it will not damage a TPMS sensor. I asked him if I need to use the slime and the sensor goes south ,then what....." bring the car in for a new sensor, parts and labour free" was his answer.
tbasco 6 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:45 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
19 and 20 inch? Want to sell them?
sent you a PM with info
Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

[QUOTE=767guy;1595045477]
Originally Posted by tbasco 6

Our GM parts guy that sold me the kit says it will not damage a TPMS sensor. I asked him if I need to use the slime and the sensor goes south ,then what....." bring the car in for a new sensor, parts and labour free" was his answer.
Every "tire goop" product I've seen recently advertises "TPMS safe" on the side of the container. Whether that's really true or not is up for grabs, but they have to be keenly aware that all passenger vehicles in the US are now required to have TPMS and striving to make their products so.
tbasco 6 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Thanks for all the great responses gentlemen. I've only given them a quick glance right now but will go through them again and take some notes.

I think I will do as some suggest and get a second set of wheels with performance all-seasons on them. My wife will not drive it as spirited as I will, but if I can get busy on back roads safely on a dry winter road, I sure as hell know she'll be safe.

Chappie
Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 AM
Azmordean
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chappie
My wife and I are considering either a 2018 2SS Camaro or a C7 Stingray coupe. The car will be her daily driver, but she is retired so "daily" is a relative term. IF the weather is crappy she doesn't have to go anywhere.

We live in the Mid-Atlantic and have an Avalanche for driving in snow, but I'm curious as to how these "Summer Only" tires perform in the rain.

Chappie
I haven't read the whole thread, but my 2 cents are, I wouldn't recommend it in the mid-atlantic in the winter. Mornings are pretty regularly below freezing in that part of the country, and that would not be friendly to summer tires.

I plan to daily mine with summer tires, but I moved to the SF Bay Area a few years ago. Average high in winter for my location is 58. I'm not wild about summers below 40, as it can even potentially damage the tire. There's several mornings here where it drops into the 30s every year, on those days if it's still below 40 when I go to work, I'd likely just drive my truck.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:58 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

My wife and I are considering either a 2018 2SS Camaro or a C7 Stingray coupe. The car will be her daily driver, but she is retired so "daily" is a relative term. IF the weather is crappy she doesn't have to go anywhere.

We live in the Mid-Atlantic and have an Avalanche for driving in snow, but I'm curious as to how these "Summer Only" tires perform in the rain.
Depends on where you are in the mid Atlantic
I'm on the coast, snow doesnt last long (or often), but it is usually wet and heavy instead of powder, and turns to ice and slush in short order.

Winter I drive my C5 with all seasons to work (when to below 45) and swap for the C7 at lunch, when the temp has usually risen to above 45.

Summer onlys work surprisingly well in the rain; as already pointed out, just flip over to weather mode and pay attention to the throttle.

Below 45ish they can be slick, but not unreasonable so.

Many people concerned about tire durability (cracking) when driven below 32 - some old threads here about that "feature"

I've driven mine in the snow once - did ok for the first 1/4", after that, it is a pucker up white knuckle ride. Will not be doing that again.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,584 Likes on 4,295 Posts

I run the OEM summer tires here on Virginia from late March until sometime in November. I swap A/S tires on a different set of rims in for the winter. The handling of the summer tires is noticeably better than the A/S tires if you drive aggressively or ever take the car to a track.

The OEM tires work just fine in the rain, BTW. I've driven on them in monsoon-like conditions. They get slippery as all get out when the temps are below freezing, though.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 06-30-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:52 AM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after a little research I decided to go with the Michelin A/S 3+ tires many have suggested and wrap them around gloss black Z06 wheels from Mid-America with Corvette Racing Jake center caps.

Thanks again everyone.

Chappie
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Athena Whitman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my 2016 2SS/RS Camaro and bought a showroom 17 GS. I pulled the track tires off (Z07 performance package car) and went with continental extreme contacts. Night and day cars for sure. I'm happier with the Vette. I've owned 3 Vette's now and 2 camaros. If you go stingray you have many options for tires. The GS and the Z06 doesn't give you many choices in the tire department.

Chappie
Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

The OEM Michelin summer only tires perform OK in the rain. The Michelin A/S 3+ ZP's are noticeably better in the wet stuff. Look at Tire Rack ratings and reviews between the two. Treadwear (my OEM's were done in 12K miles) and ride are also improved.

OEM:

A/S 3+ ZP:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

We get plenty of rain in Florida and my summer only tires on my daily driver are great. I have 29,000 miles on my Michelins and plenty of tread left.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 928 Likes on 617 Posts

I daily my C7 (and my C6 before it) during the summer, and outside of 2 years (of the last 10) when I had all seasons on the C6 all were with summer tires.

No complaints.

Quick Reply: "Summer Only" tires on daily driver?