Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged and starting your M7

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Vertically Challenged and starting your M7

I'm not short, but I'm not tall either. 5'8". I have the easy exit turned on and the auto recall. The auto recall doesn't activate until the car starts. This is where the issue lies. With the easy exit, the seat goes so far backwards that I have to scoot way down in the seat to get the clutch down far enough to start the car. I've tried turning off the easy exit, but well honestly, it make a big difference getting in and out.

So, those of you in my situation, do you have any tip I'm not aware of?

This has to be about the dumbest dang thing to ask, but I'm hopeful that someone has some magic trick.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

My seat is always set far backwards... 6' 1".

However...

You can press and hold your memory preset for seat position, and it should get you to your driving position where you can then start the car.
The following users liked this post:
probono (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 PM
segen77
Racer

Originally Posted by JNess
My seat is always set far backwards... 6' 1".

However...

You can press and hold your memory preset for seat position, and it should get you to your driving position where you can then start the car.
Yeah, that's something I considered as well, but for some reason pressing and holding the button doesn't always seem to work. Sometimes it will just move a short bit. For example, it will bump the steering wheel down, but not completely and wont move the seat. I wonder if it has to do with me having key 2, but using memory 1? Or maybe it's just a short. Either way, I'm taking the car in Monday to have the windshield fixed, so I may ask about that too.

To be honest, I was hopeful that the auto recall would work when you got in the car and closed the door, but I guess that's not the case... Seems like it would have been something easy to program, but it is what it is.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 PM
JNess
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Watch that video. It may help. You have to hit the ignition, but it should recall your driving position before starting.
The following users liked this post:
segen77 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I would just turn off the easy exit. I never used it in any of my Corvettes. Just a faster way to burn out the seat motors imo.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm 5'7" and just reach down and move the seat up with the seat control after I get in.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

All you need to do is set your seat for the way you like it in setting 1, then in exit pull it all the way back and have the steering wheel up for easy exit. once you get back in the car just push the start button and it will bring your seat to the preset #1 setting... once you're ready to go, hit the clutch and hit the start button again.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,570 Likes on 4,286 Posts

If you press the start button without pushing in the clutch, the seat and steering wheel will move to the programmed position. (The parking brake has to be on.) Then you can easily press the clutch to start the car. I'm about 5'8", too, and this work great for me.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:39 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

1. As others have said you can move the seat to the driving position by putting the car into accessory mode.
2. The easy exit position is adjustable, you aren't forced to have the seat all the way back. If you can still get in/out of the car easily, adjust the seat where you can still reach the clutch and set that as the easy exit position. I'm 5'10" and mostly torso, I have the seat a good couple of inches from all the way back for my exit position.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just press the start button after getting in the car and closing the door. Do not press the clutch or the brake pedal yet and the seat and steering wheel will move into your preset position. Then you can press on the clutch and press the start button again to start the car.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:58 PM
segen77
Racer

I appreciate all the advice. This forum is great!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

I'm confused by this thread.

Perhaps things have changed in subsequent MYs, but in my '14 the driver's seat starts moving from the easy exit position to my saved driving position as soon as I open the door. That's been the subject of a lot of complaints from some folks here who think it should not move until they are in the car and seated.

No car manufacturer can win with regard to features like this. Half the ownership population likes it one way, and other half the opposite.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I'm 5'7" and just reach down and move the seat up with the seat control after I get in.
Sometimes simplest is best.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:00 AM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by segen77
I'm not short, but I'm not tall either. 5'8". I have the easy exit turned on and the auto recall. The auto recall doesn't activate until the car starts. This is where the issue lies. With the easy exit, the seat goes so far backwards that I have to scoot way down in the seat to get the clutch down far enough to start the car. I've tried turning off the easy exit, but well honestly, it make a big difference getting in and out.

So, those of you in my situation, do you have any tip I'm not aware of?

This has to be about the dumbest dang thing to ask, but I'm hopeful that someone has some magic trick.
check previous posts. you can buy an extension that mounts to the clutch pedal. it makes the clutch pedal about 1 inch taller. I have had mine since 2014 with no problems.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have mine set the same way. I didn't know you could hit the start button once and it recalls the seating. I just press and hold memory 1 until it sets up my seat position then start. If I do not use easy exit I am slamming my knees around!

Last edited by SFCTeach; 06-15-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm confused by this thread.

Perhaps things have changed in subsequent MYs, but in my '14 the driver's seat starts moving from the easy exit position to my saved driving position as soon as I open the door. That's been the subject of a lot of complaints from some folks here who think it should not move until they are in the car and seated.

No car manufacturer can win with regard to features like this. Half the ownership population likes it one way, and other half the opposite.
My 14 behaved the same way until i did the software upgrade that put another option in the menu. Now it moves when i hit the start button.

Last edited by 2K14C7; 06-15-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe revise the exit position so it isn't all the way back and still able to get out and reach the clutch.

I'm 5'9" and I have no problem reaching the clutch at the almost full back position. It is a little bit of a stretch, but not a big deal. It only takes a couple seconds until you get the car started and then it moves to the driving position.

Get notified of new replies

To Vertically Challenged and starting your M7

Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by segen77
To be honest, I was hopeful that the auto recall would work when you got in the car and closed the door, but I guess that's not the case...
My sad memory makes me believe that I once owned a car that worked like that. I had the same issue that you described with my C6, so I just turned off the easy exit feature, and when I bought the C7 I saved a bunch of money and just got the 1LT since I ended up turning off most of those 2LT features anyway...
Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
My sad memory makes me believe that I once owned a car that worked like that. I had the same issue that you described with my C6, so I just turned off the easy exit feature, and when I bought the C7 I saved a bunch of money and just got the 1LT since I ended up turning off most of those 2LT features anyway...
If I remember correctly my C5 automatic would move the seat forward, etc when the door was closed, without having to push any button. On my C6 with the manual, I must momentarily push the button on the door to have the seat move forward, etc. The door does not have to be closed.

I believe the C5 manual was also that way.

It seems counter productive for a C7 manual(or automatic) to have the seat move forward when one opens the door, but maybe it's a programing option that the owner can select.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by JNess

Watch that video. It may help. You have to hit the ignition, but it should recall your driving position before starting.
That video is for an automatic, an M7 is different!

If you have a 2014 M7 as I did, and through most of 2015 your only choice was to hold in the memory button desired until the seat, mirrors and steering wheel went to the programmed position. GM offered an "Optional" method that required dealer installed software. I never got it since I developed a two handed quicker method in the ~18 months for my September 2013 built M7. Held the #1 button in with a finger on my left hand while I buckled the belt with my right.

My 2017 Grand Sport (as did all 2016 M7s) has the "optional method" as standard. I push the Start button but since my foot is not depressing the clutch (I also am not excessively tall, and thankfully breath denser air! ) the car doesn't start BUT does go to the programmed poistions for the FOB in my pocket!

Then I depress the clutch and hit the Start key again to start the car. Fred Taylor would not be happy with that needles extra step of pushing the Start button twice and would have preferred what I had in my C6, but so beit, it works.

The 2014 software had another glitch. It would have the seat go to the setting of the FOB in your pocket as soon as you opened the door! I refereed to it as the Superman option as you had to be "faster than a speeding bullet" to use it! Looks to me that the software developed overseas by someone who never drove a car!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Vertically Challenged and starting your M7