Sponsored by:

I have been schooled.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Default I have been schooled.......

Thought rev matching was stupid. Tried it a few times and now am hooked. Makes for a much smoother driving and shifting experience. Does not matter if you are a pro or novice, it is cool

Hated the idea of a 7 speed trans. 6 was good enough in the past. Thought Eco mode was dumb. No way was I going to use either. Today I had to run across I40 to visit Bass Pro to stock up on some fishing lures so against my better judgement put the trans in 7th and turned on the Eco mode. Started off in Cookeville and had a 7 mile climb straight up then settled in running from 70-77 most of the way. Some slower stretches around Knoxville as traffic was heavy. The results speak for them self:
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,767 Likes on 4,190 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

The fuel economy on the hwy is amazing in these cars. Most people who don't own a Corvette would doubt you get that kind of mileage.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I thought the same way about the active rev matching feature.. gimmicky.. then I started using it.. now, I use it all the time. I had to be honest with myself, I can't heal/toe as well as this feature works.
The following users liked this post:
ggroller (05-10-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I love all the cool stuff this car does!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,246 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Thought rev matching was stupid. Tried it a few times and now am hooked. Makes for a much smoother driving and shifting experience. Does not matter if you are a pro or novice, it is cool

Hated the idea of a 7 speed trans. 6 was good enough in the past. Thought Eco mode was dumb. No way was I going to use either. Today I had to run across I40 to visit Bass Pro to stock up on some fishing lures so against my better judgement put the trans in 7th and turned on the Eco mode. Started off in Cookeville and had a 7 mile climb straight up then settled in running from 70-77 most of the way. Some slower stretches around Knoxville as traffic was heavy. The results speak for them self:
If you press hard on the long thing on the right near the floorboard the car will go ZOOOOOOM and yes the MPG will go down..
Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

I use rev match all the time, have not tried eco mode yet and have been in 7th gear once so far in 2 years of ownership.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I played with rev match a bit and while generally cool I found one downside.

I was approaching a light and it turned green. There were a few cars in front of me that had been stopped at the light, so I had to slow down for them. I downshifted from 4th to 2nd. Rev match did a huge throttle blip which apparently sounded aggressive because the motorcycle next to me took it as a sign I wanted to drag. He opened up his bike and almost hit the pickup truck in front of him. People are dumb.
Mello Yello Maizey (05-12-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 977 Likes on 533 Posts

I wasn't sure about rev-match or hill-assist, I love them both! Technology...you gotta love it!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I played with rev match a bit and while generally cool I found one downside.

I was approaching a light and it turned green. There were a few cars in front of me that had been stopped at the light, so I had to slow down for them. I downshifted from 4th to 2nd. Rev match did a huge throttle blip which apparently sounded aggressive because the motorcycle next to me took it as a sign I wanted to drag. He opened up his bike and almost hit the pickup truck in front of him. People are dumb.
And the downside was????????
Old 05-09-2017, 07:16 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
If you press hard on the long thing on the right near the floorboard the car will go ZOOOOOOM and yes the MPG will go down..
More fun also pushing down on the right foot.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

1110 miles it isn't even broke in yet. Get that thing out on the road more buddy.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
I wasn't sure about rev-match or hill-assist, I love them both! Technology...you gotta love it!

Me 2 they are both useful
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I personally like the braking action that a downshift gives me w/o rev match and I am not worried about the extra clutch wear as I have never replaced a clutch in 35 yrs of continuous stick shift driving. But when I do try rev matching I find it cool how smooth the transitions between gears is. Yes, it is a great feature although I do not use it.
$$$frumnuttin' (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I personally like the braking action that a downshift gives me w/o rev match and I am not worried about the extra clutch wear as I have never replaced a clutch in 35 yrs of continuous stick shift driving. But when I do try rev matching I find it cool how smooth the transitions between gears is. Yes, it is a great feature although I do not use it.
I use 'engine braking' in winter to slow the car internally on slippery pavement....great confidence builder..
Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I use 'engine braking' in winter to slow the car internally on slippery pavement....great confidence builder..
Engine braking still works great with rev match on. Feels a lot better to me not having that hard initial decel when you let the clutch out.

Learned the hard way at Spring Mountain where I somehow managed to turn it off on the track and almost had the back end come around coming into a corner. Now I use it all the time even around town at home.
$$$frumnuttin' (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Reason222
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I use rev matching all the time. this is my first manual car, so it was a helpful feature. I'm starting to practice rev matching on my own, but I'm nowhere near as smooth.

I use 7th gear during long trips on the interstate. It keeps revs really low.

The only thing I have no care for is the 4 cycinder eco mode. I get close to 30 MPG in V8 mode, and the tank is large enough that I need to take a short break before I run out of gas usually.

Get notified of new replies

To I have been schooled.......

Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 650 Posts

I have used the rev match a few times, but generally leave it turned off because it feels kind of "gimmicky" to me. Maybe I ought to give it another chance, though. I only have 1300 miles on my 2017 Stingray 2LT coupe (in over three months), so I will have plenty of time to play with it this summer.

As for the "Eco" mode, it does really stretch out the highway fuel mileage, but it is kind of annoying when the car "jumps" in and out of 4-cylinder mode (you can also tell by the green 'V4' light on the instrument panel). It reminds me of some of the old 1980s GM sedans that had the "lockup" torque converters. I know it's not the same thing, but that is how it felt.

I find - using every driving mode except "Weather" - that my favorite setting is "Sport" because it opens up the exhaust to let the V8 play such beautiful music.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
You're getting braking action during downshifts using rev match. I use it 98% of the time except when I'm trying to keep my heel/toe skills alive. However, the car is so much better than I am these days.

You're just missing the "jolt," which means you're not rev matching well, which is causing more wear than necessary on your clutch. Brake pads are cheap, clutch jobs are not. It's also introducing chassis upset.

It's not a smooth way to drive. The jolt also fools you into thinking you're slowing faster than you actually are.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-10-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I select rev matching on and off as conditions dictate. I use engine braking in turns (rev match off) clutching to control the smoothness entering second or third gear as appropriate exiting the turn. I don't like rev match shifting down from sixth or seventh gear to forth, always seems to over rev and the car actually increases speed slightly.

Quick Reply: I have been schooled.......