Sponsored by:

My take on the noise reduction mod....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
For 5 bucks difference I would definitely buy the 3/4 inch mats that are 150% the thickness of the 1/2 inch ones. (50% thicker!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DSJLLY...-20&th=1&psc=1

SInce I already had the Weathertech mat, I thought it might be overkill. At least over the 1/2 mat the Weathertech liner fits fine.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (11-04-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:35 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Art17 (11-04-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RMS73
Don't the wheel wells contribute a lot of the noise?
Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Yes, I have always thought that was the worst area....I said "some" of the noise is gone...good enough for me, I'm not trying to turn the car into a Caddy or Lincoln.
I remember about 10 years ago, there was an owner in the C5 forum who removed his rear wheel fender liners and stuffed bags of packing peanuts up into the rear fender and then reinstalled the liners. He said there was a noticeable improvement and reduction in drone/sound coming from the rear wheels.

I know the C7 design is a lot more complex and has various wiring/tubing running through the fenders, however I wonder of some other kind of better sound deadener could be installed in the same general area. Since the rear wheels are right behind both the driver and passenger heads, I think this is where most road noise is coming from it's then just amplified in the rear coupe hatch.
Art17 (11-04-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I remember about 10 years ago, there was an owner in the C5 forum who removed his rear wheel fender liners and stuffed bags of packing peanuts up into the rear fender and then reinstalled the liners. He said there was a noticeable improvement and reduction in drone/sound coming from the rear wheels.

I know the C7 design is a lot more complex and has various wiring/tubing running through the fenders, however I wonder of some other kind of better sound deadener could be installed in the same general area. Since the rear wheels are right behind both the driver and passenger heads, I think this is where most road noise is coming from it's then just amplified in the rear coupe hatch.
I'm waiting for someone to offer a carpeted cover for the rear wheel humps in the trunk; Dynamat with carpet on the visible side. That could both reduce the noise and cover those cheesy-looking plastic wheel humps.
The C5 and C6 had just ordinary carpet there but it still looked better when new and much better after a couple of years of scratches from luggage.
Art17 (11-04-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM
Mulligandog
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Got mine done this weekend and I have to say the sound difference, for $20, is worth about $200. I was shocked at how much of a difference this made. Road noise is down over 50% and the stereo sounds less 'tinny'. I got the 1/2" as I thought the 3/4" may be too thick with the Weathertech mat above it. I think I could have gone to 3/4" now though. My cuts were a little less precise as I knew I had the mat to cover any mistakes...

Before

Cut mats installed

With Weathertech over the top of it
Art17 (11-04-2018)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:45 PM
trent066
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old thread but had a question. Am thinking of doing this on a C6. I have some left over Fatmat (similar to Dynamat). Would it be too much to attach some to these sheets to the rubber mats? With high inside temps would the adhesive bleed onto the carpet below through the joints or edges? What do you guys think?
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 AM
brocco
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by trent066
I know this is an old thread but had a question. Am thinking of doing this on a C6. I have some left over Fatmat (similar to Dynamat). Would it be too much to attach some to these sheets to the rubber mats? With high inside temps would the adhesive bleed onto the carpet below through the joints or edges? What do you guys think?
Not sure if this was mentioned, same product @ Harbor Freight $8.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-94635.html
Old 07-27-2021, 09:39 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

To find these quickly on HF, just enter the 94635 in the search box. Thanks, these look perfect for my C7.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Just ordered the 3/4" blocks from Amazon. Thank you all
Rich
Old 07-27-2021, 11:04 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

I have never attacked the rear cargo area as yet. Does the carpet in back come out without much of a fight ??
Thank you,
Rich
Old 07-27-2021, 12:28 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I know this may be beat to death, but I found a very inexpensive way to combat some of the cabin noise from the rear of the car. At Costco, I bought a pack of thick foam rubber 2' x2' floor tiles that are easily cut with scissors. I've used these all over the house and garage for years and not until now did I realize they might work well in the rear hatch area.

I used my stingray rear cargo mat as a template, then drew an outline of it on the rubber foam.....cut it out and placed the sections in the car. Together they form a nice, thick sound deadener, that actually works....I could hear the difference right away. A small piece of black material later on will hide the light gray foam at the metal rings. The cost was only around $10 for the pack of tiles, and the cost per sq. ft. is around $.30. Here's a couple pictures:

looks great. I'd like to install the tiles behind and under the seats where a significant amount of road noise is heard
Old 07-27-2021, 02:13 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
A good, cost-effective option. I've never been impressed with the specialty noise "reducers," given the price.

Great bang for the buck.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:15 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Originally Posted by trent066
I'd take the carpet out, apply the Fatmat to the floor, then cover with the carpet, put this product over the carpet, then finish with a cargo mat on top.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:56 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gpotski
I'd take the carpet out, apply the Fatmat to the floor, then cover with the carpet, put this product over the carpet, then finish with a cargo mat on top.
Does the carpet come out easily? I haven't looked at it yet.
Rich
Old 07-27-2021, 07:59 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
Does the carpet come out easily? I haven't looked at it yet.
Rich
I would say, yes. Use trim tools to pop off the wheel well covers on the sides, and it will essentially lift out.

Just one link which shows the process.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...argo-area.html

Last edited by gpotski; 07-27-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:51 AM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

Really great ideas.

I have used Blockit Sound deadening in several vettes and it worked pretty good. I just bought a 2017 GS and wanted to add it. It seems impossible to get?
I ordered from Carid on Ebay. Purchased confirmed in email back to me. Waited two weeks no shipping notification, so I sent note to Carid. They canceled my order because of an eBay policy concerning order shipments not being fulfilled within some period of time. They processed a refund and offered a in store $10 credit?
I refused the credit just wanted my order filled. Got refund with the wierd explaination. If you go on Ebay today Carid is still trying to sell the Block it kit they do not have.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:24 AM
C7nut
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jwmgr8
Really great ideas.

I have used Blockit Sound deadening in several vettes and it worked pretty good. I just bought a 2017 GS and wanted to add it. It seems impossible to get?
I ordered from Carid on Ebay. Purchased confirmed in email back to me. Waited two weeks no shipping notification, so I sent note to Carid. They canceled my order because of an eBay policy concerning order shipments not being fulfilled within some period of time. They processed a refund and offered a in store $10 credit?
I refused the credit just wanted my order filled. Got refund with the wierd explaination. If you go on Ebay today Carid is still trying to sell the Block it kit they do not have.
I have the blockit. It works good reducing but not eliminating all road echo noise from the rear storage area.
I also reduced irritating noise by changing the summer tires to all season.
Also, a good amount of road noise comes from behind the seats. I intend to buy the inexpensive rubber tiles mentioned in this thread from Costco to see how well it does in this area. Not trying to get my Z51 as quiet as a Buick but quiet enough to enjoy the ride.

Last edited by C7nut; 07-29-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: My take on the noise reduction mod....