Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY oil change or dealer...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I've crawled under so many vehicles to change oil that I only do my truck now. Corvette gets changed at dealers. The price bothered me a lot in the past, now not so much. Lazy? Yeah.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:17 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

I called another Chevy dealer close by, & their Quick Lube oil change is $90, & they'll match the other dealer's 15% off coupon, so it'll be $77 for Mobile 1 & AC Delco. Guess that'll work...
Old 04-04-2017, 01:32 PM
jmmoh
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking forward to doing my first oil change after all the free ones. Not a problem with a 4-post lift
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
I do my own oil changes. I don't have to worry about incorrect lifting. I know Mobil 1 was used. I know the filter is actually changed, and not over-torqued. I know oil wasn't spilled everywhere. I know both drain plugs were pulled and not over-torqued. I know the correct process was followed, and filled to the correct amount.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the only way to ensure the job is done correctly.
My sentiments exactly, except I use Royal Purple in all my vehicles.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drs
I do my own oil changes. I don't have to worry about incorrect lifting. I know Mobil 1 was used. I know the filter is actually changed, and not over-torqued. I know oil wasn't spilled everywhere. I know both drain plugs were pulled and not over-torqued. I know the correct process was followed, and filled to the correct amount.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the only way to ensure the job is done correctly.

I stay well stocked with Mobil 1 oil and filters when they're on sale
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
If you break it down though, it really isn't that reasonable. You can get 10qts of M1 from Walmart for $44, and an AC Delco filter is about $5. So that's a grand total of about $49 worth of materials....
It would be ~$20 for 10-qts. of M1 with the current rebate going on. Buy an M1 filter and get $3 off that, too. I usually consider oil changes to be sacred, simply because I know I'll do the job right with no guessing about what oil was used. That said, I find it hard to pass up a "free" oil change when I've already paid for it in the price of the car, so I'm planning my next change even though it is probably 11 months away. I'll select from about six dealers in the area based on my experience with them, or I may get cold feet and just DIY, which is certainly what I would do if it wasn't "free." Since I've been stockpiling M1 for three years, taking advantage of every rebate (two per year) in that time span, I may just look at it as a <$30 expense. What I will gain from it is peace of mind.

Last edited by iclick; 04-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change or dealer...?