C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2017 ZO6 nightmare!! New buyers beware !

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

It's certainly difficult to compare your situation with any other one when there are so many variables at play, including a big one which is the dealers are not GM, they do not own dealerships. It's a crappy situation that I for one would not want to be in, I'm sorry for your pain on this.

If I were in your situation, I would certainly try as many dealers as I could and I would demand a regional GM technician to come and look at the vehicle so you're dealing with a GM representative and not a dealer. Not sure if you've made it to that point, I haven't read through the pages of this thread. It probably could not hurt to also contact the GM Customer Service hotline to make sure the issue is recorded with them as well, they may be able to get a GM person to the dealership to inspect.

Now, again, if I was in your situation where what they were offering was to repaint, I'd feel a little sick about that as well. Similarly if I had an engine problem and they wanted to replace it because I'd want to keep my original numbers matching setup. Any way you slice it is not a situation I'd want to be in. What you need to do is push it as far as you can through the channels and know what your desired outcome is. If you're only acceptable outcome is to get the car replaced from GM, you should stick to that. In that case you either get a replacement car (that you inspect very carefully) or you cut bait and sell the car and go away from GM. Don't back down from what would make you happy, no one else on this forum can tell you what that is (though they will try) :-)
The following users liked this post:
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I'd just like to address one aspect of this issue. And that is the idea that "the customer (consumer) is always right!" It seems to be a common attitude that tends to be used in situations where the consumer is demanding something. This idea has been misinterpreted for so long that there is probably no saving it. It doesn't mean what you think it means. All it means is that the consumer knows what he wants to purchase, and if you don't have it, he will go somewhere else. It's a statement about INVENTORY. So when someone gets all blustery and demanding while claiming "the customer is always right," you know he doesn't get it. In this particular case, I don't really know if the OP is being reasonable or not. I'm not there to look at the car. I do know the issues won't be solved on this forum, though, and whether any of us agree or disagree with the OP is no help in actually addressing the issue and coming to closure on it.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun
You bought a Chevy and seem to be expecting a Porche experience. When you buy a Chevy inspect the car before paying!
Or do a museum delivery! That will take care of it.

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
most C7 report their cars are perfect, but your experience plus numerous other posts are making me think otherwise.
No car is perfect. When you consider the price for performance and looks of the C7 GM had to have some trade-offs.

This is my first Corvette and being honest:
- the paint is just okay. I think the composite panels result in more orange peel than you typically find on expensive cars. I definitely have some areas that need some touch up (likely this way from the factory based on location).
- there are some noticeable panel gaps, but again the composite panels seem to be a contributor
- the touchscreen infotainment system is a big step down vs the one in my VW. The interface is clunky, not as responsive, and not very intuitive
- the Bose audio system is average at best
- I have some concerns about the quality of the seats and how they will wear.

To me these are rather nitpicky things when you consider the performance and the price. The interior quality is actually quite good. Very focused on the driver. The handling and power are incredible. The car looks exotic. I love the exhaust note.

You take the good with the bad with any car and decide what you can and cannot live with. Do a good inspection, take it for a good test drive, and find a good service department and a dealer who appreciates Corvette.

The attitude that you "bought a Chevy so deal with it" is not a good excuse and is a cheap cop out. I would find another dealer and work with customer service.

My Chevy dealer experience has been awesome. My salesman actually pointed out two flaws during the inspection and had them taken care of before I finished the paperwork.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-07-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon) to make your reply look like this.
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 PM
1955nomad
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Show us a Pic. of your car. Do you know Black and White?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

You're so concerned about your paint.

What about Brad's Wife? Did you even think about her?

No, you just think about yourself.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM
09C6inWA
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnoldZO6
Hello All,

Unfortunately I am posting this thread to tell all future buyers to beware. This year I purchased a 2017 Arctic White Z06 from Long Beach Chevy. When the vehicle was delivered to my home, I took it for its first drive and boy was I excited. I went on the fwy to drive my new beast, and BAM all the dash lights went crazy! ABS, Airbags, Traction, EVERYTHING turned on, and wow did i forget to mention that the dash stopped working completely. No speed, No rpm, NOTHING! HOW ? I was amazed and just thought to myself, What did I purchase. (let me remind you the dealer did not let me test drive the vehicle to see these issues) What do I do? I took the vehicle to the local dealer in my town because my purchasing dealer was further away and they kept the car for 4-5 days and claimed it was a "Faulty Odometer unit" About a week later on my first car wash, I noticed that the hood had a defect and was touched up by either the selling dealer or the factory. I was FURIOUS. I drove the vehicle straight to the selling dealership and pointed out this flaw on the corner of the hood (very visible from the driver seat). I began looking for more flaws and Boy did I find a handful. The Fender Vents are causing peeling paint, The trunk has missing paint on the inner liner, the Trunk Liner (black Inner piece) has missing paint on there which exposes white paint under the black. I pointed all this out and the service manager took notes and said they will repaint all defects. WOW thats almost half the car. Then he said," I wouldn't let them do it if it was my car." Okay way to loose my trust even more. Later that week I took the vehicle to the local dealer again and he said he would send the vehicle to repaint the hood, and all the other flaws should be left alone. I argued with the advisor and just gave up. When speaking to "Furard" at GM customer service he implied I paint the hood ( that it will not loose vehicle value for repainted panel, where I argued that it will) He did not want to work with me so I gave up and let them redo the hood. What about all the other paint flaws being left alone? I DO NOT WANT THIS VEHICLE i told him. I DO NOT BELIVE IT IS CORRECT FOR ME TO DEAL WITH THIS BS on a new $90k Vehicle. Now I see my front bumper panel is peeling due to rubbing on other body panels. WTF ! My infotainment screen is being replaced for issues as well.
I simply want a replacement vehicle with NO FLAWS. I did not purchase a used car, it was BRAND NEW and they did not have a problem taking my $9xxx cash as down and taking my $1200+ monthly payments. The vehicle now has 1100 miles or so and it in my eyes is a pile of junk. If i wanted to respray body panels, I would have purchased a used or junked vehicle.

I reopened the case with GM and and waiting for further action.
I will get a attorney involved if needed. GM needs to make this right. No exceptions. AT ALL. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Will Post Photos ASAP.
This is not one of those "I only pay cash for my vehicles" posts as I made payments on my Vette, but $1200 a month?!?

That's a lot of scratch.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
You're so concerned about your paint.

What about Brad's Wife? Did you even think about her?

No, you just think about yourself.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM
redvetteruth
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to Believe

This story is very hard to believe. My 2015 Z51 broke down on the way home. Of course I was very angry. But the dealer I bought it from and GM did everything possible to correct the problem. They jumped thru hoops to make me happy and they did. Two years later I could not be happier with my car. Get it fixed and enjoy your car. Also when you buy a new Corvette it should have no more than 10 miles on it. You should be the first one to fart in the seat.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetteruth
Also when you buy a new Corvette it should have no more than 10 miles on it. You should be the first one to fart in the seat.
This is not always true. My factory order was tested at BG and it came off the transport with 23 miles.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

...Anyways as I stated, i sold my M4 with 5k miles on it because of panels being resprayed and not oem. Why should I have to deal with such horrible quality control if clearly its a Defective Item. Its very simple. If you purchased a top quality shoe at a store and when you get home and see there is defects or scratches or leather peeling, you go back to the store and demand a new item.
What happened to the M4 that required repainting?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,117 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
This is not always true. My factory order was tested at BG and it came off the transport with 23 miles.
Mine came off the truck with 14 miles!!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Wake up guys!!!!! this is a troll ... this thread is total BS...... he posted this idiotic story once in Feb....of course said pics to follow..none showed up...same with this second thread no pics???? he started another thread saying his side skirts fell off at 900 miles...so hes selling them.... when asked for pics he posts a red GS....... if he wants to prove me wrong lets see this car will all the paint just falling off...
Mike Campbell (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 12:58 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 139 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I think the "lemon law" only addresses safety issues?
Can you get a meet with the zone mgr?
Good luck.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
sharkface
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's what I would do

Is your insurance through GM by any chance? If it is declare the car totaled and insist on a new car. Get your attorney involved with the insurance company, if you have no success with the dealership. I would also contact the BBB and file a complaint against the dealer. Take accurate pictures of the body work for your file. Also trace back the VIN to see where exactly this car came from. If it is another dealership, more than likely it was damaged during a test drive. You should be able to research this on your own. A head on collision with a high tech car like this would cause the computers to go haywire resulting in a hay wire acting dash. Sorry for your trouble. Don't you wish you bought a vintage vette instead?

Hello All,

Unfortunately I am posting this thread to tell all future buyers to beware. This year I purchased a 2017 Arctic White Z06 from Long Beach Chevy. When the vehicle was delivered to my home, I took it for its first drive and boy was I excited. I went on the fwy to drive my new beast, and BAM all the dash lights went crazy! ABS, Airbags, Traction, EVERYTHING turned on, and wow did i forget to mention that the dash stopped working completely. No speed, No rpm, NOTHING! HOW ? I was amazed and just thought to myself, What did I purchase. (let me remind you the dealer did not let me test drive the vehicle to see these issues) What do I do? I took the vehicle to the local dealer in my town because my purchasing dealer was further away and they kept the car for 4-5 days and claimed it was a "Faulty Odometer unit" About a week later on my first car wash, I noticed that the hood had a defect and was touched up by either the selling dealer or the factory. I was FURIOUS. I drove the vehicle straight to the selling dealership and pointed out this flaw on the corner of the hood (very visible from the driver seat). I began looking for more flaws and Boy did I find a handful. The Fender Vents are causing peeling paint, The trunk has missing paint on the inner liner, the Trunk Liner (black Inner piece) has missing paint on there which exposes white paint under the black. I pointed all this out and the service manager took notes and said they will repaint all defects. WOW thats almost half the car. Then he said," I wouldn't let them do it if it was my car." Okay way to loose my trust even more. Later that week I took the vehicle to the local dealer again and he said he would send the vehicle to repaint the hood, and all the other flaws should be left alone. I argued with the advisor and just gave up. When speaking to "Furard" at GM customer service he implied I paint the hood ( that it will not loose vehicle value for repainted panel, where I argued that it will) He did not want to work with me so I gave up and let them redo the hood. What about all the other paint flaws being left alone? I DO NOT WANT THIS VEHICLE i told him. I DO NOT BELIVE IT IS CORRECT FOR ME TO DEAL WITH THIS BS on a new $90k Vehicle. Now I see my front bumper panel is peeling due to rubbing on other body panels. WTF ! My infotainment screen is being replaced for issues as well.
I simply want a replacement vehicle with NO FLAWS. I did not purchase a used car, it was BRAND NEW and they did not have a problem taking my $9xxx cash as down and taking my $1200+ monthly payments. The vehicle now has 1100 miles or so and it in my eyes is a pile of junk. If i wanted to respray body panels, I would have purchased a used or junked vehicle.

I reopened the case with GM and and waiting for further action.
I will get a attorney involved if needed. GM needs to make this right. No exceptions. AT ALL. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Will Post Photos ASAP.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM
ht_pro
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
This is why I developed a "Pre-Delivery Due Diligence Checklist" that I used to completely inspect the car before I paid for it. And mine was ordered from the factory and courtesy delivered to Oregon and I still didn't pay for it until after I completely inspected it. It took me two hours which was worth the piece of mind.

One of the first items on the list was inspect the cosmetics. I have mailed this list to a dozen or so members who wanted a copy.

I truly feel for him especially since it was not only cosmetic problems but electrical too!

Here's a sample of my checklist. Maybe it will help others to avoid OPs heart breaking problems.

THE MOST IMPORTANT INSPECTIONS ARE COSMETIC. ONCE YOU LEAVE THE LOT, IT'S HARD TO PROVE OWNERSHIP OF COSMETICS ISSUES. IF YOU FIND PROBLEMS REFUSE TO PAY FOR THE CAR.

1. Fully and Completely inspect every inch of the paint. Look for runs/paint drips, waves, touch ups, scratches, peeling, bare spots or other defects/damage. Note location & severity on Official Corvette Pre-Inspection Delivery Form. Inspect hood, side panels, doors and fenders.
2. Check mileage. Mileage should be very close to mileage when left the factory.
3. Check all rims for nicks or scratches from loading/unloading the vehicle.
4. Check driver & passenger seats for any defects.
5. Inspect windshield for pits and/chips, no visual distortions.
6. Rear glass is clear without visual distortion, chips, etc.
7. Side window glass clear without chip, nicks, streaks or ripples.
8. Do an underbody inspection looking for scraping on underside of front bumper, rear fascia under exhaust pipes, rock panels/sides. Look for any leaks too.
9. Center Stingray wheel caps are installed.
10. Exhaust tips are lined up to your satisfaction (REFERENCE PICS BELOW)
11. Front edges of doors do not stick out further than front fenders (REFERENCE PICS BELOW). I had the dealer note this problem on the official Corvette PreInspection Delivery Form and I called GM to have open a case number opened which they did. Note: often times the door gaskets will compress over time and the door will settle flush which it did in my case.
12. Check both driver & passenger seats are excessive wrinkles (REFERENCE PICS BELOW). Mine had this issue so I had the dealer note this problem on the official Corvette PreInspection Delivery Form and I called GM to have open a case number opened which they did. They said I could bring it back to the dealer to have the bottom portion of the seat replaced or wait until after summer during which time the summer heat should less the wrinkles which I decided to do, wait.
13. Check that the original window sticker and build sheets are with the car. If not you can get a copy from dealer you purchased the car from.
14. Fluids @ correct levels. Check the oil level, make sure it's not overfilled.
Hey thank you for this! I will keep a copy for my records. I bought my '15 M7 CPO with about 347 miles on it.

I had a small missed paint spot on a caliper which Chevy actually made right

Now I am experiencing some of the front panel rubbing issues by the light assembly. I will be taking back to my local Chevy to see what they do.

Thank you again for the checklist though!!!! -Brendt
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
^^^Reminding someone to have realistic expectations is NOT "throwing them under the bus".

You said it yourself "hold Chevy accountable for FIXING it". OP stated in his very 1st post that he doesn't want it fixed, he wants a brand new one instead. Are you are saying you also believe that a buyer is owed a brand new car because his previously purchased car had multiple cosmetic issues?

The GM warranty doesn't promise a brand new car if your current one is found to be imperfect -- they just promise to fix it. And state lemon laws usually don't apply to cosmetic issues.
Define "realistic"? Does it include panel gaps so close that paint chips and cracks from adjoining surfaces?

Does this fit into a defect you feel is acceptable?
By extension, do you think it is acceptable for a vehicle to sell for the same price if it has to be touched up and repaired even before being purchased or right after for defects present from before the customer ever took delivery as a vehicle without defects or a need to be resurfaced?

Originally Posted by Kent1999
^^^Whether or not GM should fix each paint flaw can be argued. What cannot be logically or legally argued is that because of those paint flaws, the OP is owed a new car.

Whether or not I'd be "OK" with it is immaterial -- it is what is contractually OWED that is at hand. Make no mistake, it would suck to have a brand new car resprayed, but sometimes that's the way the ball bounces, just like those very few unlucky people who have to have their engine replaced with less than 5,000 miles on the car. Warranties are specific for a reason, and those words contained in them have meaning. We are not forced to buy any new car, but if we chose to do so, we AGREE to be bound by the contract, including the warranty and all remedies held within it.

And I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there promising a new car if the paint needs repair.

Now if we want to have a discussion about what the NICE thing for GM to do is, whether it be out of "customer loyalty", "good faith", "goodness of their heart", etc, we can, but that is an entirely different discussion. You can demand performance of a contract. You cannot demand that someone be "nice". (*Some college campuses excepted! LOL)
This is why we have excessive legislation, litigation and Lemon Laws.
I would pursue GM to replace the vehicle, I'd have to become one of those people that sues because the other side refuses to do anything and is gambling that I won't either.
On the grounds alone that the vehicle loses value for having areas repainted the OP is entitled (yea that's right, I said entitled) to have the car replaced.
Factor in these were defects from the factory that GM was negligent in finding/preventing/correcting before it left the factory exacerbates the culpability on GMs part.
It is not only reasonable but it's part of their own SOP to QC cars before shipping them, these defects could have been addressed right then at BG by replacing the affected
panels.

Sorry but GM is 100% to blame and the only party that should suffer a financial loss.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 04-06-2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add comment
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Wake up guys!!!!! this is a troll ... this thread is total BS...... he posted this idiotic story once in Feb....of course said pics to follow..none showed up...same with this second thread no pics???? he started another thread saying his side skirts fell off at 900 miles...so hes selling them.... when asked for pics he posts a red GS....... if he wants to prove me wrong lets see this car will all the paint just falling off...
Go back and look through the thread. He addresses everything you mention and provided pictures.
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To My 2017 ZO6 nightmare!! New buyers beware !

Old 04-06-2017, 09:53 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Or do a museum delivery! That will take care of it.
Museum delivery gets you no paint fixes or any other fixes. Everything has to go through a dealer. If you do find things during the museum inspection, they just tell you to take it to a dealer.

I did 2 museum deliveries including my C7 Z06. It is a fantastic experience that I highly recommend, but don't expect to have anything fixed despite the factory being across the street.

If you reject the car, you are out a lot more money than if you reject it from a local dealer.
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry about the car and GM putting out a product with less QA than a KIa. What I am finding more astonishing as a long time forum member (been a owner and contribuitor to the C3, C4, C5, C6 and now the C7 sections) is the tone of members in this section. Quite honestly this has been a great forum over the years with a ton of great folks willing to inform and help out other members but the C7 section has way to many negative, snarky comments and way to few members with interest other than their own. Even when proven wrong in this thread by the Op that he was not a troll and the complaints were legit the responses are " well what did you expect from a GM product" answer probably at least the QA that Kia or Honda would have. If my 45K 1LT base model would have had these issues I would have been furious and expected GM and their dealers to make it right. This may be one of my last post in this section but Op good luck and let's hope GM at least makes a real attempt to make thing right.
ArnoldZO6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Define "realistic"? Does it include panel gaps so close that paint chips and cracks from adjoining surfaces?

Does this fit into a defect you feel is acceptable?
By extension, do you think it is acceptable for a vehicle to sell for the same price if it has to be touched up and repaired even before being purchased or right after for defects present from before the customer ever took delivery as a vehicle without defects or a need to be resurfaced?
I never said that defects shouldn't be fixed. But again, the OP stated in his very first post that he doesn't WANT them fixed, he wants a brand new car because the one he bought, without bothering to inspect, wasn't cosmetically perfect.

And the sad fact is that there are many vehicles that get touched up prior to delivery. Is it your opinion that every new vehicle that arrives at the dealer with a scratch has to be sold as 'used' or damaged? What about defects found at the factory? Do you really think that all those vehicles are scrapped? If there are scratches, guess what? They FIX them in place just like the dealer does. Do you think the car gets all sanded down and sent back through the entire paint process? Or if there is a little paint chip or scratch on a fender, they rip the fender or rocker panel off and replace it with a brand new one? (which, of course, may not match *exactly* because it wasn't painted in the same batch as the rest of the car)

This is why we have excessive legislation, litigation and Lemon Laws.
I would pursue GM to replace the vehicle, I'd have to become one of those people that sues because the other side refuses to do anything and is gambling that I won't either.
On the grounds alone that the vehicle loses value for having areas repainted the OP is entitled (yea that's right, I said entitled) to have the car replaced.
Unfortunately, this world doesn't run on feels. You are free to pursue GM all you want. But just because you have the right to pursue doesn't mean you have the *right* to prevail. And GM certainly does have the right to point at the contract (or state/federal statutes) and say "where did we agree to that"?

Frivolous lawsuits are the result of people thinking they have 'rights' that are not in the contract/law, but rather just because they 'feel' it should be so. Before the sale, you are entirely free to add such remedies into the sales contract and see if the dealer will agree. Want to know how I know the OP didn't do that? You guessed it -- because no sane dealer would have ever agreed. If the OP wants those replacement "rights" for cosmetic issues assigned to him in the sales contract, he'll NEVER buy a new car.

You, me, the OP, and everyone here engaged in a BUSINESS TRANSACTION with a company when we bought the car. And business transactions are governed by a system of laws which includes remedies for breaches of the contract. That means you can't unilaterally decide for yourself to which you are 'entitled'. Please point to the law or sales contract wording that indicates that any flaw that requires repainting 'entitles' the owner to a brand new car. We'll wait, but I would bet that such an entitlement doesn't exist, and is yet another example of "I *feel* it should be so -- so that's the way it has to be!"

Factor in these were defects from the factory that GM was negligent in finding/preventing/correcting before it left the factory exacerbates the culpability on GMs part.
It is not only reasonable but it's part of their own SOP to QC cars before shipping them, these defects could have been addressed right then at BG by replacing the affected
panels.

Sorry but GM is 100% to blame and the only party that should suffer a financial loss.
Because you feel it should be so?

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Woodson (04-07-2017)

Quick Reply: My 2017 ZO6 nightmare!! New buyers beware !