Sponsored by:

Obsolete Nav System is an embarrassment to GM

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:42 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Actually Nav is not part of the 2LT package - skip to around 1'50"

However I bet it's thrown in for free just like Microsoft Office is thrown in for free on a new Windows PC (hint: you pay for it anyway).

Last edited by defaria; 03-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Default R

Regards where the GPS places/directs your moving vehicle.......
I was using my Samsung galaxy 4 StraightTalk Google Maps on I-70 Westbound in Kansas City, MO. The voice was directing me to get over 14' to my right to the next lane to make the fastly approaching upcoming exit in following the directives to my destination. I realized then, that the program I was being directed by, had the input of the lane being there in that instance. Subsequently, I assumed that that would always be the case in which exact lane you should be in as an expressway or Interstate exit fastly approaches. That is NOT the case.

In order to place you in an exact location, the GPS program, must have that data uploaded to it's capabilities. Or, it won't be able to provide it in any and all given instances.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-21-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Definitely not. The list is a bit confusing but if you look at the very bottom you'll see the PDR at $1,795. Navigation is included at no extra charge when you purchase the PDR for $1,795.
Once again, thanks for the expert help, Zach!

I definitely want the PDR & Head up display . As you can tell, I'm unsure of what comes with what, on a build-to-order, new C7.

I just am afraid of missing something that I definitely would have ordered, had I been more informed, and or careful when ordering.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Regards where the GPS places/directs your moving vehicle.......
I was using my Samsung galaxy 4 StraightTalk Google Maps on I-70 Westbound in Kansas City, MO. The voice was directing me to get over 14' to my right to the next lane to make the fastly approaching upcoming exit in following the directives to my destination. I realized then, that the program I was being directed by, had the input of the lane being there in that instance. Subsequently, I assumed that that would always be the case in which exact lane you should be in as an expressway or Interstate exit fastly approaches. That is NOT the case.
Always been the case for me...
Old 03-21-2017, 03:45 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

You're most welcome. Not to further confuse things but...

* Navigation and PDR are standard with 3LT. It's a $1,795 option with 1LT and 2LT.

* HUD is standard with 2LT and 3LT but not available with 1LT.

If I can be of further help please let me know.
The following 2 users liked this post by mpuzach:
bigsapper (03-21-2017), Skid Row Joe (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:49 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Once again, thanks for the expert help, Zach!

I definitely want the PDR & Head up display . As you can tell, I'm unsure of what comes with what, on a build-to-order, new C7.

I just am afraid of missing something that I definitely would have ordered, had I been more informed, and or careful when ordering.
Just to help you understand what comes with that in this case here's a little info using the ordering guide codes):

The PDR (code UQT) cannot be ordered separately--it only comes as part of the infotainment system with navigation (code IO6). This system is available on 1LT and 2LT trims and standard with the 3LT trim.

The head-up display (code UV6) also cannot be ordered separately. It is included with the 2LT and 3LT trims.

I really wish the PDR was available without the nav (and cheaper than the $1795) but it seems it is being bundled to push nav sales.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Zach beat me to it, but at least we agree.

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 03-21-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Skid Row Joe (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE:

I ordered my new NAV update on February 21st. Paid over $150 for what is FREE with most other systems. One week later the FLASH Drive arrives. After 30 minutes of trying to get it to load, I called the 800 #. 40 more minutes of trouble shooting. Then transfer to another person. 30 more minutes of trouble shooting and then 20 minutes to set up a return order. I have to drive to Fed Ex to return flash drive (GM paid for shipping). They will send out a new thumb drive.

March 17th my new Thumb Drive / Update arrives. On March 20th I attempt to install the update. Same problem as before - system will not recognize thumb drive. Tried shutting down system, turning car off, locked doors for hard shut down. Tried inserting thumb drive while system is running and then tried with thumb drive inserted and then starting car. I called 800# and of course they have no record of previous calls and I spent another 40 more minutes on phone. I then stopped the call and told the representative I would go my dealer and they should expect the dealer to request a refund. I am not paying for this debacle. If I have to pay, I will send it back and begin looking at other vehicles.

I now have to drive to my dealer (18 miles each way) and waste another 2 or 3 hours.

All of this could have been accomplished via a widely used and accepted technology call WIFI or a Cell signal.

As I have said before....I LOVE THIS CAR. However, a wonderful car is being held hostage by 10 year old technology.
Foosh (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
UPDATE:
(Snip)
....told the representative I would go my dealer and they should expect the dealer to request a refund. I am not paying for this debacle. If I have to pay, I will send it back and begin looking at other vehicles.
(snip)
I understand you are frustrated but really... dumping an excellent sports car that you love, and trying to find something else because you had a lot of trouble loading a nav update? Seems like overreacting, doesn't it?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 AM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I really wish the PDR was available without the nav (and cheaper than the $1795) but it seems it is being bundled to push nav sales.
PDR "needs" a GPS to be able to put up the track map, I suspect this is why it is bundled with nav. For GM it's less bother to just have a single option rather than mess with none/PDR/PDR+Nav and the PDR software have to deal with a GPS that may or may not be present. (I would argue it would be even easier to just have the thing be standard on all Corvettes since almost every car on a dealer lot has it.)
Skid Row Joe (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I understand you are frustrated but really... dumping an excellent sports car that you love, and trying to find something else because you had a lot of trouble loading a nav update? Seems like overreacting, doesn't it?
Yes you are right. After going for a long drive today....I will keep the car and hope the dealer corrects the issue and hope GM has a new Infotainment system on its radar.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rangda
PDR "needs" a GPS to be able to put up the track map, I suspect this is why it is bundled with nav. For GM it's less bother to just have a single option rather than mess with none/PDR/PDR+Nav and the PDR software have to deal with a GPS that may or may not be present. (I would argue it would be even easier to just have the thing be standard on all Corvettes since almost every car on a dealer lot has it.)
I agree that it should be standard. Hopefully not at a $1795 increase to base MSRP. GPS can't justify the cost as GPS chip cost is essentially zero now having been shoved into every smart phone, camera, and sports watch. They could include a GPS chip with PDR for less than a few dollars.

I wish this thread hadn't become so contentious. For people that are happy with the nav package performance and cost that's great. I couldn't justify the cost when compared to what I was getting.

Android Auto and Google Maps to me provide a superior navigation solution which honestly is a feature I don't use that often in any automobile. I think I live in too rural an area for Waze/speed trap detection to actually work but it is an interesting potential added piece of functionality.

I've never tracked a car before so when deciding on options, I couldn't justify anything that I might or might not use. Which meant no Z07 package. I'll either regret that decision or be happy when it comes time to replace tires and brakes. That also meant I couldn't essentially spend $1795 on a PDR I didn't know how often I would use.

I do want to try to track my Vette and if I find I like it there seem to be after market solutions:

https://shop.waylens.com/

Regardless different solutions for different people. Don't forget to wave, even if that other Corvette <gasp> is using Android Auto.

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 03-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

The best way to solve this issue is to standardize the plugs for phones and just slot your phone into the car. the car just comes with an interface and a screen. your phone becomes the nav unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by CriticalmassGT:
Foosh (03-23-2017), Skid Row Joe (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

^ That's the way things should be. It will save costs for a manufacturer and be a win for the consumer. All we need is a remote touch-screen display.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
poppanich
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 with the 2LT trim package and have been looking at the Infotainment advertisement where you can update the I05 to the I06 radio head. Does anyone know if I buy the 2016-2017 head, with the Android Auto app will it plug and play with my 2015?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

All I can say is I prefer my Android Auto. But when I have used the Nav that came with the car, which is quite often, it has been very good. The main reason I prefer the AA is that it is more flexible and a little easier to use.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

It all depends upon where you live.

If you live in a heavy traffic area, the factory nav is inadequate in terms getting to a destination as quickly as possible. The interface and display are good, and it's great at always getting you there, you'll just spend more time sitting if you live in the midst of chronic gridlock.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by poppanich
I have a 2015 with the 2LT trim package and have been looking at the Infotainment advertisement where you can update the I05 to the I06 radio head. Does anyone know if I buy the 2016-2017 head, with the Android Auto app will it plug and play with my 2015?
You say "radio head," but I presume you are referring to "radio receiver" located behind the passenger floorboard. So the answer is yes, but you also need to upgrade the HMI module on the driver side A-pillar and the USB ports in the center console.

If you're just wanting to upgrade your I05 (No Factory Nav), here is the link to a seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-17-FACTOR...item3f5e020ac6

If you want factory nav too, then this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-17-FACTOR...item3f505923ff

Get notified of new replies

To Obsolete Nav System is an embarrassment to GM

Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joemessman
All I can say is I prefer my Android Auto. But when I have used the Nav that came with the car, which is quite often, it has been very good. The main reason I prefer the AA is that it is more flexible and a little easier to use.
And that's the rub really. How easy is it to use. GPS is GPS and given the proper destination all of them will get you there. Some do better re-routing when traffic is there and mapping data can be stale if not updated. But the basic thing you should evaluate a navigation system is how easy it is to use. And in today's world that often means how well does it recognize my spoken voice. Here the factory nav sucks and AA is far superior!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Not that I wanted to resurrect this thread but this news article fit with some of the recent talk about free services not being so free as time goes on.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...D=ansmsnnews11
Old 03-25-2017, 11:13 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

During the past week while on vacation in Arizona in a rental car, I realized how wonderful Google Maps is with up to the minute route information and adjustments. However, we drove the Apache Trail and Google Maps could not function when we wanted it most. We had no cell service after Tortilla Flats and for two hours stressed by how much longer we would be without pavement. If I had one of my vehicles with built in Navigation, it would have continued to function because it only needs a GPS signal. It does not need cell coverage like smartphone based systems where the map is in the cloud.

If the vehicle is used for travel of any sort, there is comfort in having both the built in Navigation and a smartphone.

Last edited by vettetwo; 03-25-2017 at 11:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettetwo:
joemessman (03-26-2017), Zhuskers1 (03-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav System is an embarrassment to GM