mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

This place sure is classy at times.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Every Corvette I have owned has been a weekend, Pleasure Car. I have a Truck that I drive daily and my wife has an SUV. When there is no need to drive my traction-challenged C7 Z06 in the rain, why would I? I will drive my lifted 4-wheel drive truck, just in case someone else loses control of their car and hits my truck....It's a truck and it has a lot more frame and cage around it to protect me. The Corvette will not be taken out when it is raining, but if a I am out and it begins to rain, oh well, I just have to drive carefully. I have very little time to enjoy my Corvette so I don't want to spend all of it cleaning, when I could be driving...besides it's "MY" Corvette. I won't tell you what to do with yours, so please don't tell me what to do with mine.
The following users liked this post:
walker3 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Yawn... and I really mean YAWN! What next?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:31 PM
17Z
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Special car for special conditions. Usage rate doesn't necessarily apply to corvettes. And since this is kind of a gripe thread, the continual reference to resale is pretty out of place also. The "you won't get more for your car if you drive it less" argument is absolutely irrelevant. Unlike a house, this is a pleasure item for most. The strategy is for my happiness and that alone.
I don't want to plan for its disposition in the future...that becomes work.

Italianfox (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:48 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by spireland
I understand why people want to keep their prized vehicles in as close to new shape as possible.

I understand why people want to drive the hell out of these amazing vehicles (that's the camp I'm in).

What I don't understand is the need to argue about which way to enjoy YOUR vehicle is better.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I drive my Corvette all year, never store it (sometimes it does sit a few weeks account of snow). As for rain, I live in Central Pennsylvania, seems to rain every day here. I don't care what others do with their cars. Only thing I don't under stand is covering the car as it sits in a garage?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 PM
sumrtoy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't like salt or other ice melt chemicals. Rain is fine. Maybe the newer cars have better treated undercarriages but '90's and prior... not so much.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,519 Likes on 1,899 Posts

We do it for dust Larry.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Only thing I don't under stand is covering the car as it sits in a garage?
Putting a cover on and off is bound to do more damage to the finish over time than simply leaving it uncovered and wiping it with detail spray and a microfiber cloth. Not only that, but by not covering the car you can still gaze at it and sit in it, even when you're not driving it.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ls3zob
We do it for dust Larry.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,773 Likes on 3,184 Posts

I like the fact that I purchased my 97k corvette brand new, it's my first new vette had one other (an 08 I bought from original owner at 93k miles back in 2013).

I store mine in my small yet fully climate controlled garage on a tender with a quick disconnect no cover. Walk past it every morning and every evening (we use the side garage door not the front idk why lol).

I get no pleasure in driving my "gift" to myself in inclimate weather or getting chewed up by chemicals and salt.

it's a reward to drive my car. Work hard play hard. If you drive it All the time it takes away from the specialness imo.

having said that, the longest over the winter I didn't drive the car was 3 weeks. To me that's not such a long time.

You guys trying to force guys like me to drive it more? Why do you care? Forcing your beliefs on us is very much like leberalism. You do your thing and we'll do our thing..

to some of us these cars are a lot of money, a reward, special. To you? Maybe not. But then maybe you're playing in the wrong sand box. Go buy one of the Italian Supercars and enjoy them.

rant over. And I still over you all.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Weather here in Oregon is not really extreme, but we do get rain. When it's raining and folks ask me why I'm not driving my Corvette, I just tell them "it won't start in the rain"
Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I drive my Corvette all year, never store it (sometimes it does sit a few weeks account of snow). As for rain, I live in Central Pennsylvania, seems to rain every day here. I don't care what others do with their cars. Only thing I don't under stand is covering the car as it sits in a garage?

I can offer my perspective on covering it in the garage, since that's what I do with mine. There are only two reasons I can think of for doing that. First, if you don't drive it that often, the cover is nothing more than a dust cover. Maybe some have a dust free garage, but I don't! Also, in my case, I have cats that go in the garage, and they climb all over it. I'm not so much worried about scratches, but if I don't cover it, there are cat paw prints all over it. So covering it keeps me from having to wipe those off.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 HOT 07
Every Corvette I have owned has been a weekend, Pleasure Car. I have a Truck that I drive daily and my wife has an SUV. When there is no need to drive my traction-challenged C7 Z06 in the rain, why would I? I will drive my lifted 4-wheel drive truck, just in case someone else loses control of their car and hits my truck....It's a truck and it has a lot more frame and cage around it to protect me. The Corvette will not be taken out when it is raining, but if a I am out and it begins to rain, oh well, I just have to drive carefully. I have very little time to enjoy my Corvette so I don't want to spend all of it cleaning, when I could be driving...besides it's "MY" Corvette. I won't tell you what to do with yours, so please don't tell me what to do with mine.

daily driver new F-150, wife has a new SUV- my Stingray is a toy, don't drive if raining but if caught in rain no big deal - also in South Louisiana you never know what road will be flooded - my F-150 is higher - why take a chance
1 HOT 07 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
My C7 sits out in the rain, in the snow (occasionally), uncovered, and some might say unloved.

But I drive it whenever & wherever I want, I beat the snot out of it dozens of times a year a VIR.
Make sure to mention this when you go to sell the car on the forum in the future
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I only drive mine if it is snowing or raining. It makes me feel like Rambo.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Fasteners201
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This thread is like the guy and wife that is jealous and giving you the finger because you drive a vette. I have a daily drive BMW 2017 640i xdrive and my vette that I drive when the weather is sunny and no rain is in the forecast. That's right it sits in the garage for that nice day I can take the top down and have the beautiful fresh air blow in my face and listen to the rumble as I go down the road. Sometimes I will take it out to dinner on Friday night but this is how I enjoy my car that I paid for not you. As I said I have a real nice daily drive that also has nice performance. So go and beat the **** out of your vette if you feel that works for you.

Last edited by Fasteners201; 04-04-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fair weather only Corvette drivers

Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteners201
This thread is like the guy and wife that is jealous and giving you the finger because you drive a vette. I have a daily drive BMW 2017 640i xdrive and my vette that I drive when the weather is sunny and no rain is in the forecast. That's right it sits in the garage for that nice day I can take the top down and have the beautiful fresh air blow in my face and listen to the rumble as I go down the road. Sometimes I will take it out to dinner on Friday night but this is how I enjoy my car that I paid for not you. As I said I have a real nice daily drive that also has nice performance. So go and beat the **** out of your vette if you feel that works for you.
Not to pick on you specifically, but I don't get responses in a thread like this. A thread is created, justly or unjustly, about how there are certain owners who don't use their cars as often as they could (not should, but could). The guys who don't then feel the need to further the argument by insulting the opposing side because they feel they've been insulted by the threads creation.

I'm personally a guy who drives his car daily when I can. But there is nothing I dislike more than when people get uppity about being wronged. Every time I see the phrase (regardless of topic) "I bought the car with my money don't tell me how to use it" I feel like, oh great this is about to get political and childish.

Why do I say that, because when people stop focusing on the topic and get defensive it's going to go down hill. Sometimes comments are just comments. Cars are cars, you drive it, you don't, you paid cash, you borrowed money. Who cares, share your opinion about what you do, but keep the belittling and bragging (the it's my car I'll do what I want crap) to yourself.

This is a subjective topic where there is no wrong or right answer. It should be treated as such.
The following 3 users liked this post by LT1 Z51:
Foosh (04-04-2017), LT4_CE (04-05-2017), mpuzach (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm fair weather! My car hasn't seen rain yet after 5000 miles in its first summer. I drive my '65 Impala SS even less. If weather looks bad, I drive my truck. Please don't judge!!
I'd still like to talk cars with you!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Not to pick on you specifically, but I don't get responses in a thread like this. A thread is created, justly or unjustly, about how there are certain owners who don't use their cars as often as they could (not should, but could). The guys who don't then feel the need to further the argument by insulting the opposing side because they feel they've been insulted by the threads creation.

I'm personally a guy who drives his car daily when I can. But there is nothing I dislike more than when people get uppity about being wronged. Every time I see the phrase (regardless of topic) "I bought the car with my money don't tell me how to use it" I feel like, oh great this is about to get political and childish.

Why do I say that, because when people stop focusing on the topic and get defensive it's going to go down hill. Sometimes comments are just comments. Cars are cars, you drive it, you don't, you paid cash, you borrowed money. Who cares, share your opinion about what you do, but keep the belittling and bragging (the it's my car I'll do what I want crap) to yourself.

This is a subjective topic where there is no wrong or right answer. It should be treated as such.
Bingo.

Quick Reply: Fair weather only Corvette drivers