Sponsored by:

Fair weather only Corvette drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GRG
All other things being equal, you probably won't get a dime more for your corvette because it wasn't driven in the rain.
I don't know, we have a 98 Trans Am with 6,000 miles, and never been driven in the rain, I expect it'll go for more than I paid for it when/if it's sold.
My C5 was a summer daily driver, but all 3 of my vetts have been driven in the rain, but I tried/try to keep them dry if I can.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 AM
chrisM916vette
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

This thread reminds me of when my uncle and i were selling our C6s about a year ago to get our C7s. His was babied, washed more than driven, less than 40k miles on it never saw a drop of rain. I drove mine 5+ days a week through rain and snow , put 148k miles on it and he could only get $2000 more than me. Those extra 100k miles were definitely worth he $2000. In fact, he still has that car, because no one would offer him what he wanted for his 10 year old baby. To me, it was Such a waste, but its his car, and his money. These cars depreciate fast, wherher you like it or not, so id rather enjoy it since im paying for it.

As far as the handling in the rain, my c7 sticks to the pavement and feels a whole lot safer than my "daily driver" 2015 CR-V, which gets squirrley anytime you press the gas just a little too hard.

Last edited by chrisM916vette; 02-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LoganExplosion (04-04-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
we have a 98 Trans Am with 6,000 miles, and never been driven in the rain, I expect it'll go for more than I paid for it when/if it's sold.
Why do you think it's worth more now than when new? A quick search yields plenty of low mileage TAs that are below half of the original MSRP. Once you get below 15k miles, it won't matter if it has 6000 miles or 2 miles.

The car isn't made anymore, neither are parts...heck, even the name Pontiac was retired. I've always liked the TA but wouldn't pay MSRP for one now. Very few cars can command that, an F body isn't one.

EDIT:
Nevermind, you never said you paid MSRP...so perhaps you snagged it for $1.00 in a divorce sale! in which case, yea, you'll make some coin!

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 02-15-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Once you get below 15k miles, it won't matter if it has 6000 miles or 2 miles.
This thread reminds me of when my uncle and i were selling our C6s about a year ago to get our C7s. His was babied, washed more than driven, less than 40k miles on it never saw a drop of rain. I drove mine 5+ days a week through rain and snow , put 148k miles on it and he could only get $2000 more than me. Those extra 100k miles were definitely worth he $2000. In fact, he still has that car, because no one would offer him what he wanted for his 10 year old baby. To me, it was Such a waste, but its his car, and his money. These cars depreciate fast, wherher you like it or not, so id rather enjoy it since im paying for it.
Most car owners mistakenly believe low mileage and "never driven in the rain" will make a big difference in value when it comes time to sell their car.
In reality, it's minimal.
I've learned this the hard way.
It seems ridiculous to me, especially with regards to low mileage cars, but that's the way it is.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

For some, including me, it's called 'Pride of Ownership'. Pride, in the sense that one may wish to take a bit more care and maintenance than is actually needed but will do so anyway, just because they enjoy it or for whatever reason. I know not all will consider appearance to be important, but I do. An intangible thing, but it can be just as valid for those who will 'drive it like you stole it' all the time.

I don't think about value when traded, mileage or lack of it, or what some do or don't do with the property they own. It's all good. As long as what someone does isn't harming you, then saying that you can't wrap your head around how others may behave requires a bit more of an open mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by pickleseimer:
jimmie jam (04-05-2017), sunsalem (02-15-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured the front page crowd would want to chime in too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ics-supercars/
Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 882 Posts

I understand why people want to keep their prized vehicles in as close to new shape as possible.

I understand why people want to drive the hell out of these amazing vehicles (that's the camp I'm in).

What I don't understand is the need to argue about which way to enjoy YOUR vehicle is better.
The following 7 users liked this post by spireland:
1 HOT 07 (04-04-2017), Fast Cars & Horses (04-05-2017), jimmie jam (04-05-2017), jimmyb (04-04-2017), LT4CMG (04-04-2017), LT4_CE (04-04-2017), Z06NJ (04-04-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Default His own museum

Originally Posted by Corvette Forum Editor
Figured the front page crowd would want to chime in too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ics-supercars/
I don't consider Corvettes exotic supercars. The closest to that would be the upcoming ZR1 perhaps with that huge rear wing if offered in true limited production/sales like the GT40. Who knows, if the timing is just right I may consider storing such at my friends nearby garage. He wouldn't mind looking at it which is what he does with his ever changing collection of toys, including a GT40 which he made a killing on. To wit his current inventory...

Bought a mint 40th and 50th Anniv Edition from him on same day. He's got about ten more stored at his other McMansion.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 04-05-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: ZR1 not ZR-1 to be corvette correct
Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 292 Posts

Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Some people think their car is made of gold and/or they're saving it for the next owner. I'm sure glad the owner of my current car did!
"It's like not banging your girlfriend to keep her tight for the next guy"
Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!?
Driving a Vette in inclimate weather is kinda like working on the plumbing in a three piece suit,.......Sure you could do it but, it really doesn't make sense.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I believe GM did design the C7 to be driven in the rain. There is also a Weather mode setting just for wet roads. With a set of all season tires they C7 can be driven safely and sanely in just about all types of weather.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not even a fair weather driver with my Corvette. I'll get it out once in a while when I get the urge. I actually drive my 32 Ford more often than the Corvette. I just ran some errands this morning and walked past the Corvette to hop in the 32 to take care of them. But I still want to have the Corvette around just in case....

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 04-04-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
I agree. I got all season tires this year so that I can drive all year round. Even makes a rain storm easier to drive in
Same here. I got the AS3+ a few months ago, and they grip almost as well as a summer tire, and better than a summer tire in rain.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Let me understand this. You have a three car garage, it's clogged so full of stuff that you can't or don't park a Corvette C7 in the garage to protect it when it's not in use, especially in the hot Raleigh sun. You don't wax it to protect it from the hot southern sun. And you're questioning why someone babies their Corvette?
REALLY?
Babying your car is one thing. You can let it sit outside all day (who knows you may not have a choice. I know people who have lived in apartments for 15+ years and never plan on owning a house). and these people clean their cars regularly. Some of them work, so a rinseless wash and a coat of Zaino ZC-S, maybe with some gloss enhancer, and the car is protected. In the south and Midwest a lot of houses are built without garages or even carports.

Letting your car sit 6 months out of the year is not babying it. A car has a purpose. That purpose is to be driven.

I think part of this issue stems from the Car Show scene. Most car shows do not have a "Daily Driver" category.... It's really sad when I see beautifully restored classics being towed around everywhere. Whatever floats your boat, but that's not a car enthusiast to me. That's a toy collector.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 04-04-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Yup, as well as mile-long forum signatures, often more than once in the same thread.

Your comments on this forum are some of the rare few that are insightful, enlightening, and entertaining.
The following users liked this post:
mpuzach (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I'm not even a fair weather driver with my Corvette. I'll get it out once in a while when I get the urge. I actually drive my 32 Ford more often than the Corvette. I just ran some errands this morning and walked past the Corvette to hop in the 32 to take care of them. But I still want to have the Corvette around just in case....
Ironically enough, the Corvette is my go-to rain car. My other options are significantly less suitable.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:38 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Can't wait to sell this car as "Never been in the rain, never been raced and certainly has never been raced in the rain". Get my extra $25 in resale.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Fair weather only Corvette drivers

Old 04-04-2017, 03:54 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

I haven't read all the other replies and your post is from a while ago, so apologies if someone else mentioned some of this. But it seems clear that you bought your car to be a driver, which is great. I bought mine strictly for pleasure. I keep in in the garage, under a car cover and since I only drive it when I want to, and I generally only want to drive it when it's nice out, that's when it gets driven. I've only had it for a few months (just under 1K miles) but I've already driven it in the rain, so that cherry has been popped.

I agree that some people have a notion that their Vette is going to magically have more value if they never drive it in the rain and keep it in showroom condition. I think in general they're wrong about that, although a well cared-for Vette should bring more at resale. But I'm not worried about resale, I'm only worried about driving it for fun. I don't like driving mine in the rain for the simple reasons that it's not as much fun, and it's more work to clean it after that, and I do like to keep it clean. Although, I don't clean it after every time its driven. I usually park it and cover it, without even a wipe down. In fact, the other day my wheels were so dirty, in spite of the rest of the outside of the car being nearly spotless, that even I was embarrassed to have them seen that way. So I guess mine falls somewhere in between being a driver and a garage queen. But I can see both views on this one: It's a car, so drive it! It's a special car, so pamper it!
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Cars are just cars, and meant to be driven. OP, I am right there with you. No time for garage queens. Every one of them has to earn its keep. Too many owners hide behind "not in the mood" when they really mean "no stomach to use as intended, would rather shine it up and talk about it" A well used car doesn't automatically mean its a beater.
Attached Images      

Last edited by xxaarraa; 04-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I consider myself in neither extreme camp. My hobby/special interest cars through the years, ( I am 69 yrs old now and have owned several of them), are neither serious garage queens nor beat up and neglected. They were all maintained quite well mechanically and cosmetically, but at the same time I owned them instead of them owning me. I do not want to have museum pieces on which I pay for insurance and registration. I presently have two Corvettes, a 2006 that I bought new and which currently has 29k miles, and a 2016 with 2500 miles. I still thoroughly enjoy driving both of them, but there are times at which I had rather drive my wife's CTS or my old 2000 Dodge 4x4 beater. My viewpoint is in agreement with many expressed here, that it's my business how much or little my wife and I use a Corvette, and I don't judge others based on how they use theirs. I like the concept that if you can afford to own and drive a Corvette, or even more expensive toys, that means that you can also afford to not drive
them when not in the mood.

Quick Reply: Fair weather only Corvette drivers