C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Island Chevy dealership to do rear caster adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Long Island Chevy dealership to do rear caster adjustment?

So I brought my 2016 stingray in for service... I pointed out to them that the wheels were not centered in the well properly and that according to Chevrolet, though the forum there was a rear wheel caster adjustment... well they said all of their Corvettes are the same so its the way its supposed to be.... sigh....
I also asked them to adjust the driver door as it does not close flush and I'm getting a little wind noise.... they told me they didn't hear a noise and therefore no adjustment is necessary... sigh...
I also asked them if it were possible to adjust the rear bumper, as it doesn't align perfectly to the rear quarters... they said no, its just the way it is...
I then called Chevrolet directly and couldn't get them to help at all, without my vin number.... apparently EVERY F'n CORVETTE is built differently and don't use the same parts and that's why the woman couldn't help me without the vin.... sigh... doesn't ANYBODY want to actually work when they get to work?
Any ideas before I reach through the phone and strangle somebody?

Last edited by dbintegrity; 02-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:40 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Which dealer? I never have a problem @ Arnold Chevy
Old 02-06-2017, 06:41 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by dbintegrity
So I brought my 2016 stingray in for service... I pointed out to them that the wheels were not centered in the well properly and that according to Chevrolet, though the forum there was a rear wheel caster adjustment... well they said all of their Corvettes are the same so its the way its supposed to be.... sigh....
I also asked them to adjust the driver door as it does not close flush and I'm getting a little wind noise.... they told me they didn't hear a noise and therefore no adjustment is necessary... sigh...
I also asked them if it were possible to adjust the rear bumper, as it doesn't align perfectly to the rear quarters... they said no, its just the way it is...
I then called Chevrolet directly and couldn't get them to help at all, without my vin number.... apparently EVERY F'n CORVETTE is built differently and don't use the same parts and that's why the woman couldn't help me without the vin.... sigh... doesn't ANYBODY want to actually work when they get to work?
Any ideas before I reach through the phone and strangle somebody?
They will always ask for your VIN, have it available. Past that they (GM) have been very helpful to me.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 02-06-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

[QUOTE=vettejoel;1594037360]Which dealer? I never have a problem @ Arnold Chevy[/QUOTE

Eagle Chevrolet in Riverhead
Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
They will always ask for your VIN, have it available. Past that they (GM) have been very helpful to me.

I just had some time to call them, at a time that I didn't have the Vin handy, but I was just asking a question related to all C7 Corvettes... no reason they couldn't find out generic info without a Vin
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

If your willing to go to queens I had an excellent experience with sunrise chevy in forest hills. Great people there. Make sure whatever you do you stay far away from Paul conte checy they are complete ********.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Originally Posted by brooklync5
If your willing to go to queens I had an excellent experience with sunrise chevy in forest hills. Great people there. Make sure whatever you do you stay far away from Paul conte checy they are complete ********.
Thanks for that info.... I put another call into Chevrolet and stated my questions and concerns, I'll wait to hear from them tomorrow
Dan
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Correct me if I'm wrong..... The wheels should be centered in the wheel well? I should not be able to put 4 fingers from the front edge of the tire to the well and 2-1/2 fingers from the rear of the tire to the well ?
My driver door should close flush with the panel ?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,945 Likes on 5,343 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong..... The wheels should be centered in the wheel well? I should not be able to put 4 fingers from the front edge of the tire to the well and 2-1/2 fingers from the rear of the tire to the well ?
My driver door should close flush with the panel ?
Driver door should close flush to the panel. If it doesn't the body shop can adjust. You either got a lazy service writer or you pissed them off and they aren't talking to you.

I don't really know about the centering in the wheel well but that could easily be checked by you if they have other cars in the lot.

As for the rear caster setup it wouldn't make enough difference for you to see the difference where the wheel is placed in the wheel well. We are only talking + or - .8 degrees over a distance of about 16 inches. That isn't a lot. The bottom ball joint will move a little forward or a little rearward so the knuckle is leaning slightly forward or rearward. Based on handling discussions on the forum the suggested setup is to adjust rear caster to +.8 degrees on both sides which would push the lower control arm to its furthest forward point.

Here is what the rear wheel centering looks like on my Z.

The real question is whether or not they were able to adjust the rear caster or didn't they have the tools?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-07-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Thanks Bill..... your wheel looks pretty centered in the well.... mine is back about 1/2 -3/4 of an inch.... I put in a call to Chevrolet so I'm sure I'll hear something today...
Dan
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

I heard from the dealer.... He had me come back and look at another Corvette. He showed me that the panels weren't perfect and that the wheels were also set back 1/2" or so.... so I couldn't really argue... I spoke to Chevrolet corporate who confirmed the car was within their specifications....
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I heard from the dealer.... He had me come back and look at another Corvette. He showed me that the panels weren't perfect and that the wheels were also set back 1/2" or so.... so I couldn't really argue... I spoke to Chevrolet corporate who confirmed the car was within their specifications....
I would have believed "that's the way they all are" in the "old" days but today I don't think it is acceptable. Post some pictures of your body panel fitment issues and see what your Corvette peers have to say rather than a dealership which you may not trust. You can always get the rear end aligned for peace of mind and then accept the wheel placement knowing it is correct. Much more precise than the old Mk-1 Eyeball. Be sure and get the before and after alignment printouts. It will also ensure your best rear tire life. Good luck and enjoy your car!

Last edited by Bigredwing; 02-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dbintegrity (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Seeing Chris the Corvette mechanic at Arnold Chevrolet in Babylon would be worth the trip for a second opinion
dbintegrity (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Also try Atlantic Chevy in Bay Shore. Top Notch guys there who very knowledgeable & helpful.
dbintegrity (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Thanks guys for the heads up !!!
I'll look into these suggestions... enjoy the snow
Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GrandSport
Seeing Chris the Corvette mechanic at Arnold Chevrolet in Babylon would be worth the trip for a second opinion
I called Arnold and the service writer told me they do not have a corvette mechanic at all and they could not make an appointment for me to do any service.

I also live on long island so any dealer knowledge would be great.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by vettejoel
Which dealer? I never have a problem @ Arnold Chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Long Island Chevy dealership to do rear caster adjustment?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
I called Arnold and the service writer told me they do not have a corvette mechanic at all and they could not make an appointment for me to do any service.

They always had one
Old 02-11-2017, 12:37 PM
rodknock
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike

My buddy bought his vette from Kerbek and was told the same thing when he neede a software update. Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville took care of it.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bluman
They always had one

He was ready to schedule me until I told him I bought my car from Kerbeck. his whole voice changed and all as if I just smashed is grand mother in the face with a pudding pie in church. Also check the post below mine. Same experience seem to have happen. Im a service advisor as well. However just not for Chevrolet. So I know how things go.

Quick Reply: Long Island Chevy dealership to do rear caster adjustment?