C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport or ZO6, which one sounds better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
I don't care for supercharger whine so I'd go with a GS (and did, in fact).
Actually, if it's going to whine, I want it loud, hear it coming from a block away, hide the kids loud
Otherwise I like a NA that sings, my LS6 had a wonderful song, LS3 not so much. Still deciding on the LT1....
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Personally, after getting the Borla X-Pipe, it's still too tame at idle and part throttle. Screams at WOT, but anything other than that and initial startup could be louder for me.

If this is you, you may want to go aftermarket. Nothing better than a cammed sound though.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
Yep, never window shop at a Ferrari dealership. I know for sure if I drove a Z I would want to do stupid things to my bank account. I'll suffer with my z51 stingray but the Z is a beast for sure. For those that have one enjoy!
There's a local high end leasing company not too far, and oh, what lovely cars. And the model that you can service without removing the engine is in almost range, $85-$120k. my C7 is a better car, faster, etc, but the Ferrari will likely never be worth less than what I paid for the vette.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:28 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Perhaps this is the sound you are looking for:
Old 03-26-2017, 08:02 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It all depends on what you plan on doing in the car. Noise depends on the power being produced and if you look at the power curve for the LT1 and LT4 engines you see neither comes close to their max power output until the engine is in the mid 6000 range at wide open throttle with a full load on the car.

Just putt putting around town and jumping on the throttle for a second or two now and then will not produce much HP so the difference between the two will be nil to none. Same goes for winging the throttle in neutral as the engine rpm is limited in neutral and you only produce enough HP to spin the engine which is less than 5 hp.

The reason I say it depends is because it depends on whether you are a wannabe or an actual high performance driver who can put the car through its paces without killing yourself or somebody else.

If you run both cars through first gear wide open the Z will make more noise once the rpms get above a certain point but it won't last long before you hit the rev limiter. You have to be in 3rd and 4th gear where acceleration is slower and running near red line in both to hear either engine sing.

If you can run the car wide open or near wide for a time period of 15 to 20 seconds where the engine speed gets high enough to produce 650 HP then the Z06 will make more noise. However, you do need to realize that puts you into some serious go to jail immediately mid triple digit speed ranges in either car. Usually you need to be on a road course with some long straights to get those kinds of speeds.

Bill
This man spreads wisdom^^^ Thanks, Bill.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Unlike most owners, I would like it if my Z was actually QUIETER.
IMO, the LT4 doesn't generate a symphony of gorgeous car sound.
It sounds more like my daddy's old 73 Chevy pick-up with holes in the mufflers than anything else.
I agree. Since I'm getting a convertible, being in the Z06 is almost too loud for me anywhere near WOT (I've been in 2 convertible Z06s and my goodness, what a racket when you put your foot down). And since the car is so fast, you can't experience it long before the road or your nerves run out.

And it's not a wondrous sound, it's just a ton of volume, almost like the world is about to come to an end - sounding like the LT4 is at war with the atmosphere and everything around it attempting to hold it back. The sounds alone will scare most passengers, and anyone within ear shot of the Z06.

It's a little too much for me at WOT, but it sounds great to me puttering around town at a low rumble with some gurgles in Sport mode. But I could get 95% of this in the Grand Sport, especially once one adds the Borla midpipe.

Bursts of 650 hp are indeed amazing, but 460 hp and less aural volume are starting to make sense to me...especially since my convertible is never seeing a track. I have an E92 M3 for track days - and, no, the BMW V8 is not nearly as loud (or fast), but it sounds amazing at all the upper RPMs, like a precision-tuned formula race car with throaty underpinnings.

The Z06 is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. It exponentially ramps up the driving experience, senses heightened to historic levels as the Z06 outruns everything in sight.

And then my friend who has a Z06 says it's not loud enough. As with everything in life, it's all a matter of perspective.

Last edited by KevinGS; 03-26-2017 at 09:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Neither are near the top of good sounding engines for me. The LS engines sound way better. And the 350 I have in my hot rod sounds better than either LT or LS engines.

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 03-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

If anyone wants to hear what REAL car music is, try this:

I can only wish my Z06 sounded like that.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 AM
drjcw24
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As many here have, I have owned both models in the past year. As stated, the Z06 is certainly louder stock vs stock than Z51/GS. You really notice the difference at 6k rpm. To me (this part may all be in my head) the Z06 sounds more exotic and mean compared to the Z51/GS. In my neighborhood I have one neighbor with a Z51 and one with a Z06. When I'm outside and hear one of them coming, there is no question as to which one I hear coming up the road. I don't even have to look up. They both frequently gas it a little as they go by as a corvette "hello," and there is just no comparing.

That being said, both of them are too quiet for me! I put the corsa extreme on my Z51 with x-pipe, and I couldn't pull up at a red light without someone complimenting the sound. I'm patiently waiting to get the same exhaust setting in my garage put on my Z06. If it's as much as change as to the Z51, it will sound SICK!!! The only downside is I find myself paddle shifting all the time lol.

Honestly though, even in track mode, on both cars the NPP is extremely quiet unless you get on it. Cruising at 60-70 it makes no more noise than our Lexus. My wife thinks it's way too quiet too!

Last edited by drjcw24; 03-27-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

As Bill Dearborn comments, the sound is a function of the power being produced which is correct. Just wait until the ZR1 hits the streets. When I was up at Laguna Seca last week observing and shooting a few videos of the ZR1 testing I noticed how much deeper sounding the ZR1 was than the ZO6 that was also there testing. Obviously the ZR1 has more power (750hp according to rumor) with a larger supercharger (2.65L vs 1.7L according to rumor) there would be more air being pumped through that engine. Most likely also requiring a larger diameter exhaust system to expel that additional air exhaust. There was also a Stingray there testing and you could hear the progression of exhaust volume from Stingray to ZO6 to ZR1. The ZR1 will belch out a sound that will put the hair on the back of your neck on end!!!

Last edited by skank; 03-27-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 PM
indyblue98
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
IMO, the LT4 doesn't generate a symphony of gorgeous car sound.
It sounds more like my daddy's old 73 Chevy pick-up with holes in the mufflers than anything else.
I agree , even adding Corsa X pipe didn't help much .
Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
There was also a Stingray there testing and you could hear the progression of exhaust volume from Stingray to ZO6 to ZR1. The ZR1 will belch out a sound that will put the hair on the back of your neck on end!!!
ZR1 louder than a Z06???? Oh, I couldn't take that.

If it was symphonic sounds coming from under the hood, MAYBE. But even then, there is a point where it's just too loud for a road car....which almost makes me want to spend less time at WOT, not more.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

From a legal perspective is the sound coming from the NPP factory exhaust legal when the car is in track mode on a grand sport but being driven on the street?

Quick Reply: Grand Sport or ZO6, which one sounds better?