jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Either of the C7s, not the Camaro.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Vetter Atl
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Many of the serious track guys wish they had a GS over their Z06. I heard it over and over and decided on GS for NA power and no issues at long hot track days. Price didn't matter to me. Peace of mind, balance, lower weight, and relaibilty were my deciding factor.i drove both GS and Z06 extensively before deciding.

Plus for $9000 I can have relaible 550rwhp (if and when I want it) from vengeance. Plus I like the lower hood, gs fender inserts, cup wheels, and red rear lights.

Originally Posted by Mordeth
All 3 are superb cars. You could pick one out of a hat and be "right". That said, you need to narrow it down to two cars.

The GS is a excellent sports car, and does exactly what it is supposed to do. I love the GS and if the Z06 didn't exist I would own one. That said, there is nothing a GS can do on the street that a Z06 can't. But the opposite is not true. Never met a Z06 owner that wishes he had a GS. Being that you have to rule out something, I would take the "least of the best" and rule out the GS. The Z06 wins here in everything but price.

So you have Z06 vs ZL1. ZL1 is also a fantastic car. I have owned 8 Camaros, and loved them all. But no Camaro compares to a Corvette. Not in looks, not in styling, not in feel. The Vette is a show-stopper. It is borderline an exotic supercar. It is the pinnacle of American sports cars (and plus this is a Vette forum ). Vette wins.

So there you have it. Buy a discounted 2016 or 2017 Z06, with 2LZ, Competition seats, Carbon Flash ground effects and the M7 manual (no brainer on the manual - unless you are old or disabled).
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm very happy with my C7 GS. The new ZL1 Camaro is bad *** looking! But for $90K CND? Would much rather have a GS or Z06... just my thoughts
Old 08-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW, I bought a C7 z51 and later a 2ss just to get me through winter. I love my vette, its my second one, but there is just something so american and obnoxious about the camaro that I love - its a hoolligan bad boy, and modern as hell inside. This is a totally different car from a last gen model IMO. The performance between two is close enough that it really is stupid to own both cars if all you do is street driving.. so, my plan is to sell the vette and use my SS year round, or if the vette doesnt sell, trade both in on a Zl1. I'm letting fate decide.

Whatever you choose (if you havent already - old post), all of these cars are awesome toys. In some ways, its a bit like splitting hairs - theyre all fun and great at what they do. BTW, the visibility on the camaro is a non-issue once you own the car for a week. You really do acclimate to it quickly - it was my largest concern when buying it, now I dont even think about it.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:30 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

My preference in this order:
1. 6th. gen Camaro ZL1 (non 1LE) if I want an all performance sport car: drag strip, track, spirited driving.
2. Corvette Grand Sport. Great looking car, (much better lookinh than any Camaro), great handling and sufficient power for spirited driving or having a great track time.
3.- 6th. gen Camaro SS1LE is the best pocket rocket if you are on a budget, its a car that handles like an european sport car.
I did not consider the Z06 because of its overheating at track and its white knuckle driving experience, that you can sudendly lose grip, probably is too much for the street. Also the A8 transmission has been troublesome for many C7 owners.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 09-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

See that this thread is blast from the past....But....gee's I am liking new 2019 Camaro Zl1 ILE....Bad A$$.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I’ve got a C7 and an old 4th gen Camaro SS. (I’ve had the Camaro for 17 years).

While the Camaro was a great car, and a blast to drive, it wasn’t quite as well made as the C5 Corvette. The difference is really evident in how the Camaro wears over time vs C5 corvettes that I have seen with similar mileage. Needless to say, there is a reason why the Camaro costs less than a Corvette.

If I was considering a Camaro versus the Corvette, I would take quality and engineering into consideration. Especially if you can afford a Corvette.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

The new Camaro's are nice looking. It will be interesting what the C8 really looks like.

QUOTE=BobFic;1597951702]See that this thread is blast from the past....But....gee's I am liking new 2019 Camaro Zl1 ILE....Bad A$$.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by 99vettewsnc
Greetings Everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted but I have recently sold my C5 and now in the market for a new car. I am considering the Z06, Grand Sport, and the ZL1. I know this has been discussed but wanted to get some fresh view points and opinions. I owned my C5 for almost 12 years and only took it to the track (VIR) 3 times. I would like to take the new car to the track but by no means would I consider it a track car. Main purpose for the car would be to enjoy on the weekends and drive to work when the weather is nice. Not a daily driver but also not a garage queen.

Z06 - I can afford the car but would not be able get all the options if I were to get the Grand Sport or ZL1. Some options I would have to have would be 2LZ Package, 7 Speed Manual, carbon flash painted ground effects, and competition seats. No PDR or Nav to save costs. Budget would be around 80K from a forum dealer. So basically a Z06 with less options.

Grand Sport – Similar options as Z06, maybe with PDR and Nav, 2LT package, carbon fiber interior trim, dual top option, red calipers. Not interested in the Z07 package with either car. Probably around 70K with the GS.

ZL1- Not sure if I would go with the 6 Speed Manual or 10 speed auto. The C5 I had was a 6 speed and I enjoy rowing through the gears like most people do. But I have heard great things about the 10 speed auto. Could get the ZL1 for mid 60’s and save some money. There are visibility issues with the ZL1, but I guess one would get used to it after owning the car.

Removable top – Z06 and Grand Sport has it, ZL does not. I would miss this option.

Gas Mileage…..I know I know, but it is something to consider since I plan on driving the car on more than just weekends. The ZL1 has the worst MPG of the three cars but cost less. The Grand Sport has the best MPG numbers (but lacks the LT4), and the Z06 falls in the middle.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38233&id=38532&id= 37871&id=37870

I am posting this in the Z06 and C7 general forums to get a different perspective from both owners.
I'm a track rat. I could have easily afforded the Z06 but I got the GS because I'm a track rat. Off the track, the Z06 is clearly king. Big power across the whole powerband? Yes please. On the track, 465 is more than enough and the weight/cooling is a big deal.

I would get the Z06. If you're not going to the track/not going often, lol who the hell wants Navigation? and PDR would be worthless without track time.

I never really considered cross shopping a Camaro and a Corvette. ZL1 vs Z06 is just personal preference. I can't stand the Camaro interior. It's not even the quality but the layout and looks. It looks good in pictures but I hated it when I was actually in it.

Last edited by village idiot; 09-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I recently was also trying to decide between a ZL1 and Grand Sport. Ultimately, I decided on the GS. When I was honest with myself the only thing that really drew me to the Camaro ZL1 over the GS was the 650hp. Having owned a Gen 5 and Gen 6 Camaro, the styling, interior layout, visibility, lighter weight, targa roof and build quality of the corvette is on another level. The Corvettes also tend to hold their value better over time.

Both great cars cars but if you are going to spend $65k+ then I think that money is better spent on a Corvette.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,809 Likes on 3,197 Posts

If you track it and can afford it? The Z06 is king. But, if you want to try something different how do you NOT get a ZL1 1LE? Plenty of Z06s out there, not so with the ZL1 1LE. If I were running on track I would go 1LE to be different and see if cant take out some lesser Z06 drivers. Smaller pool to be best at. Z06 you're gonna be up against them all including ZR1 bew C8 next year and every exotic. Nobody expects the Camaro to be in that conversation. Prove them wrong lol.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:54 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

GS ZO7...best of car I've ever owned. Added AFE, ported TB and intake, LG LT headers...custom tune. What a beast...and a beautiful one at that.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:24 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Did you notice quite an increase the ported intake? I'm considering getting that for my car

Originally Posted by ToxicGS
GS ZO7...best of car I've ever owned. Added AFE, ported TB and intake, LG LT headers...custom tune. What a beast...and a beautiful one at that.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:53 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I did indeed...quite noticable. I went with Edgyvette version. It's a 30 min swap once you get all the engine covers off. I left the intake cover off on install because I hate the look of it and like the intake itself much better. To me..its about optimizing air coming in and flowing out. Afterall... engines are just air pumps.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 533 Posts

How much did your HP increase with those changes? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:43 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Nice!

I did indeed...quite noticable. I went with Edgyvette version. It's a 30 min swap once you get all the engine covers off. I left the intake cover off on install because I hate the look of it and like the intake itself much better. To me..its about optimizing air coming in and flowing out. Afterall... engines are just air pumps.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't know on HP changes. Car has not been on a dyno. "Street" tuning done with data logging done over multiple tune iterations from steady speed and WOT runs. If I keep the car in this config, I will probably dyno tune to ensure all power and settings are fully optimized. Obviously if I go A&A, I will dyno tune and would do a baseline run before install as well. The car has definitely picked up some serious kick in the pants...tires can't hold thru 1st or 2nd gear...it just explodes when you hit it hard. It's a blast to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Z06, Grand Sport, or Camaro ZL1

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

With mine so far, K&N cold air intake, Weapon X ported throttle body, and Diablo 3 tuner. Basic tune. I'm probably running over 97 octane with premium gasoline and racing gas mix. It's definitely a lot more torque and faster than it was when I was bone stock. I also run in track mode all the time which I know they say you're not supposed to do. it's a rough ride but it opens up all the valves and car seems to run a little bit quicker. Or maybe it's just me? I know from sport mode to track mode the car is quite a bit louder

Don't know on HP changes. Car has not been on a dyno. "Street" tuning done with data logging done over multiple tune iterations from steady speed and WOT runs. If I keep the car in this config, I will probably dyno tune to ensure all power and settings are fully optimized. Obviously if I go A&A, I will dyno tune and would do a baseline run before install as well. The car has definitely picked up some serious kick in the pants...tires can't hold thru 1st or 2nd gear...it just explodes when you hit it hard. It's a blast to drive.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:03 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport223
With mine so far, K&N cold air intake, Weapon X ported throttle body, and Diablo 3 tuner. Basic tune. I'm probably running over 97 octane with premium gasoline and racing gas mix. It's definitely a lot more torque and faster than it was when I was bone stock. I also run in track mode all the time which I know they say you're not supposed to do. it's a rough ride but it opens up all the valves and car seems to run a little bit quicker. Or maybe it's just me? I know from sport mode to track mode the car is quite a bit louder

You can set the exhaust to Track.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Its in track mode all the time.

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance

You can set the exhaust to Track.

Quick Reply: 2017 Z06, Grand Sport, or Camaro ZL1