Odd noise when going from V8 to V4

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Odd noise when going from V8 to V4

Probably "normal" but does anyone else have this?

When going from v8 to v4 I can hear a slight noise. It doesn't do it all the time (or at least I can't hear it all the time). Its not a bad noise, its not a shudder, not a click/clack or a thunk, and I only hear it when it goes from v8 to v4, not v4 to v8.

Best I can describe it, say the word "Chair" it would be the "Ch" sound.

Next time you drive listen for it, turn off radio, and turn down HVAC blower.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 AM
dust999
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine sounds like a 'mechanical' linkage shifting noise. I first thought it was the gearbox (A8) but it happens just before the v8 icon changes to v4. Mostly in the lower gears and and slower speeds. Driving me nuts, the dealer will run some tests when the weather warms up. Apparently they cannot run the diagnostic in cold ambient temperatures (???).
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp

When going from v8 to v4 I can hear a slight noise. It doesn't do it all the time (or at least I can't hear it all the time). Its not a bad noise, its not a shudder, not a click/clack or a thunk, and I only hear it when it goes from v8 to v4, not v4 to v8.

There are reports of some hearing the exhaust pipe butterfly valves before the mufflers activate when going into 4 cylinder mode as they restrict the pipes to limit the 4 cylinder "miss" sound!

Frankly I have an M7 and seldom have used ECO Mode in 3 years so it doesn't go into 4 cylinder mode and don't hear it! Also there is so much tire and road noise in the C7 I have the sound system playing my SD card songs in shuffle mode as soon as the car starts. It's never off! Drowns out a lot of sounds.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by dust999
Mine sounds like a 'mechanical' linkage shifting noise. I first thought it was the gearbox (A8) but it happens just before the v8 icon changes to v4. Mostly in the lower gears and and slower speeds. Driving me nuts, the dealer will run some tests when the weather warms up. Apparently they cannot run the diagnostic in cold ambient temperatures (???).
May be what the "noise" is! The valves that activate in both exhaust pipes going to the mufflers have a linkage that moves a butterfly. They activate to restrict the exhaust to minimize the 4 cylinder "miss" sound when the car goes into that mode. For an automatic it goes in 4 cylinder operation in all driving modes. Fortunately for us with M7's it only activates in ECO mode.

Note those valves are in all C7s and not related to the NPP valves-they are before the mufflers. Might spray with WD-40 as a quaick check to see it it is reduced, although WD-40 won't last. Need a higher temp lub, perhaps like the Moly brake pad lub.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Mark923
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same sound here when it is in ECO, sort of an air flow sound change like the "CH" you mentioned...
Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dust999
Exactly - mine does it just before the display changes from v8 to v4 too
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

I actually need to see the indicator change to pick up the 8/4 change on my C7. But I wonder if the fact I have a convertible is a factor. The vert might be more isolated from rear-end noise than the coupe.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Mine makes a similar sound and I can feel a mild clank while it does it.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:41 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Similar sound here too, but seems to be more pronounced when the engine is cold...
Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

YUP ! Exactly the same thing for me...2015 C7 COUPE, built Aug 2014.

Switching from V8 to V4 . I can duplicate it by steady state driving at speeds below about 50 mph by pulling the shift selector into M causing V8 mode then placing shift selector back into D. As the car goes into V4 mode, as seen on the DIC, I hear the "CH" or "CHUFF " sound. The only valves moving at that point are the AFM related valves that close when you go into V4 mode. Our SM found a service bulletin that deals with noisy valves and requires a special lube that they used on mine.The lube is more for those who were getting a squeak on valve movement and my problem is not a squeak.

After I got the car back I still had the noise. They lifted the car in the service bay, hooked up the computer to it and the mechanic was able to command the AFM valves ( just before the muffler) open and closed.....no noise BUT the engine was not running.

I have two thoughts on the momentary "CH" sound...

1) With the engine running in V8 mode the AFM related exhaust valves are open. I am beginning to think that when you go into V4 mode and the AFM valves close they do so AGAINST exhaust flow and that may be a momentary pneumatic flow change sound we are hearing.

2) I have noticed that when you go from V8 to V4 there is a very small momentary "blip" on engine RPM on my car.....so, am I hearing a momentary induction noise?? If I'm in 4th or 5th gear, V4 mode and I give the accelerator pedal a small but quick shot, not enough, to bring it out of V4, I hear the exact same noise.....probably induction air noise.

IF ANYONE GETS A SOLID ANSWER TO THIS NOISE PLEASE POST,PLEASE..........tks

Get notified of new replies

To Odd noise when going from V8 to V4

Quick Reply: Odd noise when going from V8 to V4