Sponsored by:

Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShahulX
i decided against 1700 navigation on my 17 vette order... used AA this weekend and am affirmed that was money well saved
Originally Posted by Hopper12
And you're sure correct on no longer needing factory nav as long as AA and ACP are available. Have a good one Joe.
So, I'm thinking of buying a used Z06 which didn't come with the factory Nav or PDR. I know I can live without the PDR, though it will be missed (but not all that often, since I'm not tracking a convertible).

But I need a Navi, preferably on the center screen (not from a small phone screen).

So, my 1st question is....can Android Auto simply be used as a navigation system, without having to tie it to "to-and-from" directions? Like, just a GPS locational map, like you'd have in a car? I assume this is a "yes", but then I get worried about using tons of phone data on long trips when just having the Navi system displayed in the car.

2nd, can I play music from a separate USB stick, while using Android Auto?

3rd, is Google Earth an option in the car, appearing on the Vette's screen?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
So, I'm thinking of buying a used Z06 which didn't come with the factory Nav or PDR. I know I can live without the PDR, though it will be missed (but not all that often, since I'm not tracking a convertible).

But I need a Navi, preferably on the center screen (not from a small phone screen).

So, my 1st question is....can Android Auto simply be used as a navigation system, without having to tie it to "to-and-from" directions? Like, just a GPS locational map, like you'd have in a car? I assume this is a "yes", but then I get worried about using tons of phone data on long trips when just having the Navi system displayed in the car.

2nd, can I play music from a separate USB stick, while using Android Auto?

3rd, is Google Earth an option in the car, appearing on the Vette's screen?
question 1. Yes you can use it as GPS, and you will be using data. How you can use it for Navigation without a to and from doesn't make sense to me. It seems if you are navigating you would be going from one place to another?
question 2. You can play music from a USB stick while using AA.
question 3. Google Earth is not part of AA. You can google for the compatible apps within AA. Google Earth is not one of them.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:21 AM
KevinGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by joemessman
question 1. Yes you can use it as GPS, and you will be using data. How you can use it for Navigation without a to and from doesn't make sense to me. It seems if you are navigating you would be going from one place to another?
question 2. You can play music from a USB stick while using AA.
question 3. Google Earth is not part of AA. You can google for the compatible apps within AA. Google Earth is not one of them.
Thanks

As for #1, yes, I misspoke. I meant using Google Maps as simply a road map with traffic info, as opposed to a "point a to point b" direction-giver. For example, you can just display the map on a factory navigation system as you move along a road, without having to put in a destination. Same for Google Maps. I assume you can just his the map icon in AA and see where you are and check traffic without having to put in a final destination.

But this will use the phone's data, which is the only real downfall of using AA constantly.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Thanks

As for #1, yes, I misspoke. I meant using Google Maps as simply a road map with traffic info, as opposed to a "point a to point b" direction-giver. For example, you can just display the map on a factory navigation system as you move along a road, without having to put in a destination. Same for Google Maps. I assume you can just his the map icon in AA and see where you are and check traffic without having to put in a final destination.
If you put AA into map mode you'll see a map, you'll see where you are and it'll move with you. I don't think you'll get any traffic info. Why would you. Google Maps doesn't know where you're going! There may be traffic ahead of you but GM doesn't know if you're gonna make a right turn in 10 ft!

But this will use the phone's data, which is the only real downfall of using AA constantly.
I don't understand - you have purchased a vehicle for over $50K - maybe $60 or $70K or more. And you're worried about the tiny charge (in comparison) to get unlimited data and not have to worry about GM's downloading data (as well as tons of other times when unlimited data is very, very useful)?!? You can get unlimited data at like $10/month I hear (I don't know, I've had unlimited data since at least 2008!).

I use AA all the time and I'm always under guidance (with a route). I never worry about any data the phone may be downloading.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 AM
KevinGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by defaria
If you put AA into map mode you'll see a map, you'll see where you are and it'll move with you. I don't think you'll get any traffic info. Why would you. Google Maps doesn't know where you're going! There may be traffic ahead of you but GM doesn't know if you're gonna make a right turn in 10 ft!
Thanks

Google Maps shows the coming traffic, you know, with the red lines.

I don't understand - you have purchased a vehicle for over $50K - maybe $60 or $70K or more. And you're worried about the tiny charge (in comparison) to get unlimited data and not have to worry about GM's downloading data (as well as tons of other times when unlimited data is very, very useful)?!? You can get unlimited data at like $10/month I hear (I don't know, I've had unlimited data since at least 2008!).

I use AA all the time and I'm always under guidance (with a route). I never worry about any data the phone may be downloading.
LOL Point taken. I have a Verizon, so I'll have to find out what the cost is of their "unlimited data package". I have a feeling it ain't $10/month.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM
defaria
Safety Car

My Google Maps does not show the coming traffic unless you're under a route. What do you pay for your cell phone right now? https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/ says $80. I'm assuming that's the total price. If you're that tight on money then maybe you should switch to Sprint as they are only $60/month.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:49 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

My Google Maps does not show the coming traffic unless you're under a route. What do you pay for your cell phone right now? https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/verizon-plan/ says $80. I'm assuming that's the total price. If you're that tight on money then maybe you should switch to Sprint as they are only $60/month.
I pay $20 per month with google fi project. That gives me 2 Gigs of data. Over that is $10 per Gig. I am definitely open to other plans. I use a Pixel phone that I bought outright when subscribing to their plan for $649. I guess I probably would use an extra Gig or two not worrying about how much data I am consuming. So another $20 a month would still be a good deal. I'm going to do that for a month to determine how much data I use without concern for data usage. I know one thing, I won't be watching MLB on it. That's a real siphon pump.

Last edited by joemessman; 03-14-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Will it ever be available for 2015 models?
It's available on a lot of phones now. My Pixel has Android Auto, but I don't see the purpose really.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks

Google Maps shows the coming traffic, you know, with the red lines.

LOL Point taken. I have a Verizon, so I'll have to find out what the cost is of their "unlimited data package". I have a feeling it ain't $10/month.
$110.00 a month, and company discounts do not apply to it. I checked the other day. They got rid of the 12gig package entirely. But since I carry over gigs of data every month on the 8 gig plan and I DO get the company discount. that's where I'm sticking. Navigation doesn't eat up the data. It's the movies and music that does.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-14-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
It's available on a lot of phones now. My Pixel has Android Auto, but I don't see the purpose really.
Then you haven't looked. The purpose is to allow for a much better infotainment system. Google Maps is far superior to the factory Nav. You can have all kinds of media apps like, for example, BeyondPod, which will run on the main screen. BeyondPod doesn't make an app for MyLink like say Pandora. Sure I can run it on my phone and use Bluetooth and then try to tap the small phone to switch podcasts or whatever. But the point is I don't have to. I can do it on the larger screen with AA.

Plus, and this is the big on - Google Voice Recognition and integration with Google services.

If you don't see a purpose then you're just not looking.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Then you haven't looked. The purpose is to allow for a much better infotainment system. Google Maps is far superior to the factory Nav. You can have all kinds of media apps like, for example, BeyondPod, which will run on the main screen. BeyondPod doesn't make an app for MyLink like say Pandora. Sure I can run it on my phone and use Bluetooth and then try to tap the small phone to switch podcasts or whatever. But the point is I don't have to. I can do it on the larger screen with AA.

Plus, and this is the big on - Google Voice Recognition and integration with Google services.

If you don't see a purpose then you're just not looking.
One very major reason I haven't been using AA or the built in Pandora app, is that I have found that at least with Pandora, the sound quality is better using an Aux cable vs Bluetooth. Anyone else hear this?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hoonose
One very major reason I haven't been using AA or the built in Pandora app, is that I have found that at least with Pandora, the sound quality is better using an Aux cable vs Bluetooth. Anyone else hear this?
Yes I started a thread on this in this very forum. Obviously a hardwired connection will have more frequencies in it than something over the air and thus should sound fuller but it also sounds louder. My beef in the other thread is why don't they compensate for the loudness in a similar manner as the old "Loud" button used to do on CD/Cassette decks and HiFi stereos of yesteryear where the "Loud" button would compensate for frequencies naturally lost at lower listening volumes.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Yes I can download the app also but the question is will it work with a 2015 model Z06? In the past they said it could only work with 2016 and up...Is that still the case?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:07 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Yes I can download the app also but the question is will it work with a 2015 model Z06? In the past they said it could only work with 2016 and up...Is that still the case?
The hardware in your 2015 has not changed and will not change simply because time passes by. The 2014's and 2015's lack the necessary hardware. You can buy it but it's expensive.

Sorry.
The following users liked this post:
Blvdbrawler (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks