Sponsored by:

Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Without being able to access WAZE on car play, if you plug in the USB, it interfers with WAZE. I use a backup power pack for my phone power, not the car USB. Car play should show all of your screen not just a few limited apps. Pretty much useless to me. I have a Rand McNally paper map of all things.
How to does it "interfers" with Waze? I ask because sometimes, on very long road trips, I'll run Waze side by side with AA and GM. So GM is projecting on the screen but I have Waze running on the phone. I get navigation from GM but audio warnings from Waze. Aside from the fact that I don't really use Waze (IOW I often don't bother to set a route in Waze - though sometimes I do) I don't see any lost functionality or "interfersence".
Old 02-03-2017, 10:08 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwim
I took my 2016 to the dealer this week, and was told there was a $40 charge for the Android Auto upgrade.
There should have been no charge. You should inform them of this and ask for a refund. It is part of the warranty. That would be covered for 3 years of ownership or 36,000 miles. I am 99 percent certain. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Hopper12 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by walleyejack
why would it be free ? just asking. any upgrades to nav s and such always cost, why would this be any different ?
It is because it is a service bulletin. Upgrade of the Nav is a customer option.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrushu
The dealer should not be charging for this service! I had mine done last week and it cost me nothing. Somewhere in this post someone posted a link for the service bulletin. GM is paying for this service and they should be treating it like a warranty claim.
And mine was free this week.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Dwim
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

so, how can I tell if I already have the Android Auto update? I couldn't get it to work, so assumed it was not loaded yet. Before I start troubleshooting every step, would be nice to know if I have the update or not.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 PM
orangecrushu
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, how can I tell if I already have the Android Auto update? I couldn't get it to work, so assumed it was not loaded yet. Before I start troubleshooting every step, would be nice to know if I have the update or not.
If you have downloaded the Android auto app to your phone when you plug it in via your USB cable the projection icon on your infotainment system will change to Android Auto.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

it also is very dependent on the usb cable some do not work. I also had to set up what I wanted the cable to do you have a choice of just charge or download file the phone will ask you and you should check always download
Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,078 Likes on 990 Posts

Hi Dwim, I've found on two of our vehicles that if I have bluetooth active on the phone when I start the vehicle, the phone/car hook to bluetooth and AA won't run. I then have to shut bluetooth off, shut off the car, and then restart the car without bluetooth active on my phone. Then I hook up the phone via usb and all works as it should. Don't know if this is the problem you're having or if you need AA updated, but thought I'd pass that along.

PS: you don't need to worry about not being hooked up via bluetooth because you can still do most anything you want on you phone when running AA by one of two methods:

* Just say 'ok google' and you'll activate google voice recognition and then just give commands. Hint: if you're listening to music at a really high volume, your phone won't hear the 'ok google' command, so you can.....
* Hold the 'talk' button on the steering wheel down for two seconds and you'll activate google voice recognition instead of the factory voice recognition.

Once you try AA and get used to all the things you can do, you'll love it!

Last edited by Hopper12; 02-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Dwim (02-09-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dashotgun
it also is very dependent on the usb cable some do not work. I also had to set up what I wanted the cable to do you have a choice of just charge or download file the phone will ask you and you should check always download
That was my issue with the first cable I tried. I bought another USB-C cable and all was good. Oh, and don't cheap out on the cables. Some of the cheap ones are not constructed properly.

Last edited by joemessman; 02-07-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Hi Dwim, I've found on two of our vehicles that if I have bluetooth active on the phone when I start the vehicle, the phone/car hook to bluetooth and AA won't run. I then have to shut bluetooth off, shut off the car, and then restart the car without bluetooth active on my phone. Then I hook up the phone via usb and all works as it should. Don't know if this is the problem you're having or if you need AA updated, but thought I'd pass that along.

PS: you don't need to worry about not being hooked up via bluetooth because you can still do most anything you want on you phone when running AA by one of two methods:

* Just say 'ok google' and you'll activate google voice recognition and then just give commands. Hint: if you're listening to music at a really high volume, your phone won't hear the 'ok google' command, so you can.....
* Hold the 'talk' button on the steering wheel down for two seconds and you'll activate google voice recognition instead of the factory voice recognition.

Once you try AA and get used to all the things you can do, you'll love it!
That is interesting on the issue of having to deactivate bluethooth on the phone. I bet it is a phone specific issue. I don't have to do that on my Nexus 5X.
While shopping for a new car for my wife I noticed they all seem to come with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Certainly not necessary to buy a car with Navigation now for sure.

Last edited by joemessman; 02-07-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,078 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
That is interesting on the issue of having to deactivate bluethooth on the phone. I bet it is a phone specific issue. I don't have to do that on my Nexus 5X.
While shopping for a new car for my wife I noticed they all seem to come with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Certainly not necessary to buy a car with Navigation now for sure.
Might be a phone issue - we have Samsung S6s. Might also be an AA version issue? We haven't tried it on our '17 C7 yet because of stupid snow piling up day after day since it was delivered.

And you're sure correct on no longer needing factory nav as long as AA and ACP are available. Have a good one Joe.

Last edited by Hopper12; 02-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:21 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You can go into the settings/menus, where they have the Apple Connect options, if you have AA there should be AA setting at the same location in the menus.
Dwim (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Might be a phone issue - we have Samsung S6s. Might also be an AA version issue? We haven't tried it on our '17 C7 yet because of stupid snow piling up day after day since it was delivered.

And you're sure correct on no longer needing factory nav as long as AA and ACP are available. Have a good one Joe.
Haven't tried a S6, but I have both a S7 edge and a Note7, and they both worked. If you're all updated, it's probably not software.
Once they updated my car (Actually 2 updates are required, for free), it worked right away as long as I had a usb-c cable.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM
orangecrushu
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
Haven't tried a S6, but I have both a S7 edge and a Note7, and they both worked. If you're all updated, it's probably not software.
Once they updated my car (Actually 2 updates are required, for free), it worked right away as long as I had a usb-c cable.
Why do you say two updates? I just had mine done last week and as far as I know they only did one.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

So us 2015 owners are SOL with AA?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:06 PM
defaria
Safety Car

No, you can get AA for a 2015. It'll just cost you and arm and a leg to replace the HMI unit...
Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
So us 2015 owners are SOL with AA?
You can use it with Bluetooth. You won't get it casted the car screen though.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Oh yeah, that. A while back AA updated to have an interface for all those other cars that don't have an integration. You just use the phone itself, where the AA interface is shown and your normal BT connection for sound. However after using the big screen integration I wouldn't go back to a small screen cell phone.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orangecrushu
Why do you say two updates? I just had mine done last week and as far as I know they only did one.
They had to do two.

The first is a newer OS that is required. Then after they install that they have to add the AA connector itself.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

i decided against 1700 navigation on my 17 vette order... used AA this weekend and am affirmed that was money well saved

Quick Reply: Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks