Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First driving impressions 700 miles. Comparing it with my old 2008 MX-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had over 6K wonderful miles in this beast. I came from a 2010 Challenger R/T, and still the 460 HP and 3483 lbs over 372 and 4050 lbs is a real gas. I was initially concerned with visibility, both blind spots with the small mirrors and rear window, and seeing over the front fenders. These concerns were rendered totally void (front and rear cameras are a blessing), and the car fit like a glove from the moment I drove it off the lot. The magnetic suspension soaks up speed bumps like a champ, and the cornering is ridiculous. Fuel economy so far, in mostly moderately congested city driving, is 23.1; not too shabby, considering that I accelerate somewhat aggressively (though I do coast a lot) and step on it with a not too rare frequency.

As a daily driver, I can confirm that the ease of driving this high performance sports car is unparalleled, it's a total winner from a value and esthetic standpoint.

Last edited by jivor; 03-04-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:09 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by gorilla121
Well come on now. I have a prius and the Miata was definitely faster.

I'm just comparing them... because... I can. I have had both. One for a very significant amount of time and there are some things that half priced underpowered sports car did better. Not taking anything away from the C7 which is a hell of a car. But if enough people compare and complain someone at GM will listen and make some changes.

But it seems to me that a lot of people on this forum also own a prius. My next thread will be to compare the C7 with the Prius. Now i'm sure that will stir the pot a whole lot more.
That would be great to hear your opinion because I have a Prius too, the Gen 3, and people say Priuses are slow but I think they're quite smooth and peppy especially for a 50mpg car.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

To each his own, but I NEVER want to hear anyone criticize a mustang gt or challenger ever again lol
Old 03-05-2017, 01:53 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

The Mazdaspeed Miata - produced in 2004/2005 - is the only turbocharged Miata.

Last Sunday, I drove a pristine 2005 Mazdaspeed on Angeles Crest Hwy.
It was fun, but there were so many things I strongly disliked.

#1. The engine - 178HP - B F D . An absolute pig until it comes on boost around 4k RPM. Crappy gas mileage, too.

#2. Chassis balance. Turn in is instantaneous. But, through the apex, you are quite aware that most of the mass is in the front of the car.

#3. Ride. Mazdaspeed has Bilstein shocks. Ride is well damped. But, you feel absolute every imperfection in the road surface.

#4. Transmission. No reverse lockout. Very nasty noise when shifting to 6th and
accidently hit reverse. Otherwise, nice gearbox.

On the plus side:

Car with its Hot Lava Orange finish and Racing Hart wheels is beautiful as a sports car can be. IM(<)HO
Old 03-05-2017, 04:02 PM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Well you made me go digging for my 1997 STO Miata. Lots of mods - CAI, Headers, X-pipe, dual exhaust, Tokiko adjustable suspension, Rays VOLK wheels, Roll bar, Shift light, MOMO wheel (sans airbad) and who knows what else? Lots of fun. Sold it to a local cop, and I do miss it... But not as much as I'd miss my beautiful LB Z51!! I'd go into corners so hard on the Miata and watch the poor chump behind me hit the panic buttons when he realized his car couldn't take the heat. I stopped doing that as I didn't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt.

*** Just noticed I had an elbow pad that I think would work well in the vette. Pretty sure it was attached by velcro. I'll have to see if I can find it on line. The knee pad just right of the steering wheel is one I made to help brace myself.
Attached Images     

Last edited by RipcordZ51; 03-05-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I had to read a few replies before I realized the MX-5 was a Mazda.
I apologize I don't know much about them but I believe them to be very reliable. I agree that you won't go back. Welcome.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

I am a previous Miata owner. Had a silver 2002 Miata LS 6 spd with tan leather interior and top. It was a very fun car. Not fast by any means, but a very enjoyable ride. Between the two, the Miata was actually more fun to drive. As I have always said, its more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow...
Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by tnharley
I have had both. First my '09 Miata MX-5 Grand Touring, then a '14 C7 Stingray Z51, then a '13 C6 Convertible, and now THE BEAST a '17 ZO6. I love the Corvettes but the little Miata still owns a chunk of me. Great times with her.
Beautiful cars. Don't think I've ever seen a yellow Miata. Really like it!

I agree with your sentiments wrt the Miata. It's a wonderful little car. We currently have a bright red 06 Miata in addition to our Blade Silver C7 coupe. Two very contrasting vehicles that are a blast to drive.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Traded my 2011 C6 in for the new Miata last summer. Although two totally different cars, the Miata is as much fun if not more fun to drive than my C6 was.

There may be another Vette in the garage someday but for now, enjoying the heck out of what we call little ****.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 03-05-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Very interesting.............thank you for posting. I've had 3 Miata's over the years and love them. As for the girly car comments, I just put that down to ignorance from those that have never tossed a Miata around some nice curvy roads. The new RF (retractable fastback) Miata has got me very interested in owning a 4th one; really a beautiful design in my opinion. I agree with most of your comments on the comparison between the 2 cars. They are both a lot of fun in their own ways.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

I was searching for my first vette when I bought my first miata. I loved the 2006 ragtop and my plan was to upgrade to the new miata. when I saw the new miata did not come in PHRT, I bought a low mile off lease 13 Club and loved it. then the new mx5 coup came out...needless to say i'll never own another miata. I used to say it was the most fun car...I might buy another miata...but not what they offer now. if it is not raining, my top is always down...heat on high in the summer , ac on high in the winter. we took long trips, camping all the way in both Miatas...Colorado, smokiest, but only one trip in the vette camping--west va for a week and 3500 miles.
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I have really wanted to love the Miata. I have driven lots of them and a good friend owned one for awhile. First I am not a big guy (5'11" 185lbs) but I have a long torso and in both the NA/NB I just did not fit well from a visibility perspective.

Second, I have owned lots of RX-7's and other Japanese sports cars (BRZ, multipled WRX's, etc) and I just was not impressed with the Miata handling and power. I prefer a more stiff and flat suspension and the Miata had way too much bodyroll for me. Yes I know you can go aftermarket, but I felt there were other cars out there (S2K, FRS-BRZ) that were more dialed in.

They are small, light, and nimble which is a very fun combo but I guess I am the Chris Harris in the room in that I don't get why people think this car is so special. I have not driven the ND yet, and I did fit best in an NC, but to me I would rather have a BRZ for the money or even a used S2K.

In terms of Corvette, the C7 is on a whole different level. Can't imagine many people cross shopping the two.

Last edited by thill444; 03-06-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Both are GREAT cars, there are always pros and cons to each. I had a 1994 Miata at the same time as a 2002 Z06, and a 2006 Miata same time as 2006 Z06. Now with the 2016 Z06, I've been eyeballing the new Miata RF. Most of the time the HP & TQ of the Corvette are unused, but then again there are times where the Mazda could use some.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:49 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
This is first thread I ever read comparing a C7 to a Miata, but ok.
I was just about to post this exact same remark!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:36 PM
certileman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2001 BMW Z-3 3 liter 40,000 miles and just bought a C7 to sit next to it in the garage. Still getting used to the Vette. The Z is a dream to drive. Found the scrubbing noise and action with the Vette in tight slow turns (turning around basically) disconcerting.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by gorilla121
Seems pretty interesting that people have not brought this up before. If you take a poll i'm sure there is a pretty substantial portion of the vette drivers have owned a miata before. Whether they openly admit it is another issue.
My wife owned a Miata hard top vert for 4 years. I hated it almost every time I was in it. Could only get in or out of it if the top was down. then if the top was up and we hit a bump I would bang my head on the roof. I did enjoy driving it with the top down, although I occasionally banged my knee on the dash operating the clutch. I much enjoyed driving my C6 coupe. My wife loved the Miata vert and hated the coupe. So we compromised and sold the Miata and the C6 and got a C7 Vert. We both love it.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:04 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Because of a Miata, I have a Corvette. Bought a Miata and my wife hated it and told me to get something bigger. I did however the old saying still applies, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Quick Reply: First driving impressions 700 miles. Comparing it with my old 2008 MX-5