C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
I too used a pad to get it nice and clean on my cts-v and the noise came back within weeks. i guess this is a case by case basis. The service manager at Cadillac who I initially dealt with told me about 80% of people who have come in for this issue come back reporting the same problems within a month or so. Maybe the corvette is different but the problem is the same. My 14 doesn't seem to suffer from this as of yet.
May be some other factors. Both my old '14 and '16 (msrc with z51 wheels) were non-z51 so maybe the rotor may be part of the problem. Same with the V.

I noticed wheel torque is pretty critical, if a dealer tech just blasts them on using torque sticks it may not work. I suspect its a pretty common problem just a lot of people dont notice it. I could only hear it in a parking garage or pulling into my garage that requires a full lock right turn. Outside in a parking lot its not that loud even with the widows down so many probably dont even notice depending where they drive.

I'm sure some cars may have a CV or wheel bearing issue too, remember the C5 (or C6 I forget) loose axle nuts?

But one thing for sure, the original TSB has been revised all the way up to 2017. In typical GM fashion, instead of fixing the problem they just revise the TSB to include later models
Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Yea what's really annoying is that the problem is carrying into other newer vehicles. My V was a 2011 and this issue is an old one. I'm surprised that the same issue would come up with a newer gen car. I will keep proper torque in mind should this problem ever arise in my c7.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 PM
RRRRED
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default TSB for clicking problem

Originally Posted by angryBits
This is not the Ackermann Effect (clunky noise caused by having wide tires), I experience that as well and I understand that is normal.

This (in addition to the above) is a tat tat tat tat tat and its fairly loud and only happens when making very sharp turns at slow speeds.

My car is a brand new 2017 Grand Sport and it's made this noise since day 1.

Any ideas?
had the same problem. There is a fix from GM for this problem. Basically it requires taking off the front wheels and cleaning the mounting surface with brake cleaner. Then you put the wheels back on and the problem is gone.

The Document ID from GM is 4564777. It is titled "#P1498B: Clicking Noise from Front and/or Rear Wheels - (Aug 23, 2016"

I'm attaching a scan of that document. But if that doesn't work, just take your car to your local dealer and I'm sure they can find it with the information I posted here.

I posted this document in a previous response. You can search for my other post and see the document.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2016-1301.html

Both my '14 and '16 did it. Did the procedure myself and it didnt come back.

Its pretty common, plenty of videos around. Surprised the dealer couldnt look it up and find the TSB.
I LOVE YOU!

This is totally it! I feel much better

I'm pretty sure this is the same thing brooklync5 mentioned, but seeing the TSB was a big relief.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi angryBits,

I have taken some time to review this thread and it looks like you’re receiving some great advice from other forum members. We understand how upsetting this noise may be while driving your GS and certainly don’t want it to hinder your driving experience.

Since we are not technically trained, we are unable to speculate where the noise concern may be stemming from, but we’re happy to get you in touch with the dealership, if you’d like. Don’t hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and full contact information if this is of interest to you.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Steph,

I'm very hesitant to take my car to the local Chevy dealership, they're pretty terrible. Last time I took my car there they didn't do anything with it for a week with no updates and no one knew anything about my car. It's pretty unsettling to have left your beloved car at the dealership for a week for something that was supposed to take a day and get completely conflicting answers from everyone you talk to about the status of your car. I was told my car was 99% done but just needed one last touch and would be done tomorrow -- I was tired of the BS so I drove there and found my car and nothing was done to it... Just a bunch of lies.

@Steph, I know this is not true for all dealerships, but I still can't help but be hesitant to take my car in.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Now that I know what the issue is, I'm mostly okay with it -- I just really wanted to know nothing was wrong with the car.

Thanks everyone for the info -- I'm calling this one "Case Closed"
Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Now that I know what the issue is, I'm mostly okay with it -- I just really wanted to know nothing was wrong with the car.

Thanks everyone for the info -- I'm calling this one "Case Closed"
Hmm, I would not say nothing is wrong. Clicking means something is moving. From the discription of the fix sounds like the wheel-hub interface. Not good, could get worse.

Sounds simple enough to remove the wheels, clean both mating faces as recomended with brake cleaner and torque the wheels properly in several steps. Would start at ~50 ft-lbs and finish with the required 100 ft-lbs in a criss-cross pattern.

Your car, your choice.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 AM
angryBits
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, I would not say nothing is wrong. Clicking means something is moving. From the discription of the fix sounds like the wheel-hub interface. Not good, could get worse.

Sounds simple enough to remove the wheels, clean both mating faces as recomended with brake cleaner and torque the wheels properly in several steps. Would start at ~50 ft-lbs and finish with the required 100 ft-lbs in a criss-cross pattern.

Your car, your choice.
I've spent enough time worrying about it.

I'll do it next time I have the wheels off, or have the dealership do it next service, whichever comes first.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:48 AM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I LOVE YOU!

This is totally it! I feel much better

I'm pretty sure this is the same thing brooklync5 mentioned, but seeing the TSB was a big relief.
that is also the exact same thing i mentioned
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks Steph,

I'm very hesitant to take my car to the local Chevy dealership, they're pretty terrible. Last time I took my car there they didn't do anything with it for a week with no updates and no one knew anything about my car. It's pretty unsettling to have left your beloved car at the dealership for a week for something that was supposed to take a day and get completely conflicting answers from everyone you talk to about the status of your car. I was told my car was 99% done but just needed one last touch and would be done tomorrow -- I was tired of the BS so I drove there and found my car and nothing was done to it... Just a bunch of lies.

@Steph, I know this is not true for all dealerships, but I still can't help but be hesitant to take my car in.
No problem, angryBits! I recognize your hesitation in bringing your car to the dealership, but am glad you were able to determine a resolution. If you have any other questions, you know where to reach us.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Loud ticking during sharp turn (not Ackermann Effect).