2 post MaxJax mid rise 2 post lift review

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

Received 1,251 Likes on 548 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21
Default 2 post MaxJax mid rise 2 post lift review

I posted this review on the C5/6 forums and will some day probably have a C7 on this lift in my garage (maybe even C-8. Well worth the money.

The following 4 users liked this post by Toys4Life C5:
BeerSkunk (06-01-2017), Gonzo (11-08-2016), lostsoul (07-21-2020), rc51racer (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Love mine! Use it all the time!

The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Well done on your post of the item.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by fleming23
Love mine! Use it all the time!

Nice. Which one do you drive more?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I have been wanting one for a while.
Thanks for the review.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looks like he had a 2X12 (wood block) under all 4 wheels to raise the Corvette up to get the arms under for the lift points. Not a terrible thing but it would have been nice to mention this issue.

Elmer
Old 06-01-2017, 02:17 PM
danh63
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have one and love it! Used it with my C3 all the time. Just picked up my new C7. was wondering how it was going to work with that. Any tips that you could pass along or is everything straight forward like just about everything else I lift
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Just need lift pucks and place the lift arms on the puck locations on the under side of the rocker panels.

Elmer
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 AM
danh63
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Just need lift pucks and place the lift arms on the puck locations on the under side of the rocker panels.

Elmer
Lift pucks? Not real sure what those are. Do they take the place of the pads on the lift?? Thanks
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,419 Likes on 14,038 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No, you still have the pads on the lift itself. The jacking pucks are inserted into existing holes in the lift location on the car and are thick enough to where they extend down past the surface of the rocker panel. That way when the lift pads come up against the car to lift it, they make contact with the jacking pucks instead of the painted surface of the rocker panel. This avoids scratching the paint or even worse cracking the rocker panel.

Many of the forum vendors sell sets of jacking pucks.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by danh63
Lift pucks? Not real sure what those are. Do they take the place of the pads on the lift?? Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Not sure about the C3 setup as it has been 30 years since I sold my last C3 but you need to have the Max Jax set up with the lift columns at their max permissible between them. Mine are set 130 inches. If they are narrower than that you end up with the car sitting on the non extendable parts of the lift arms.

Getting the car aligned so it isn't too far to one side or the other is critical to making sure you can actually use the pads on the lift. If I get too far off center I will take a real hockey puck and place it below the lift puck in the frame so it fits between the non extendable part of the lift arm and the lift puck. I put tape on the floor so I know the places to put my left side wheels and where they need to be centered.

The video shows the person using hockey pucks instead of the lift pads. I suspect his car is lowered to some degree since there should be enough room between the frame with a lift puck inserted and the lift pad. As you can see in the video he has very little clearance between the lift arm and the rolled edge of the rocker panel. If you have a car with side skirts on this becomes a problem since their outer edge is lower than the rocker. I had that problem with my lowered C6Z after I put side skirts on it. I have no clearance issues with my C7Z since it isn't lowered but I still have to make sure the car is centered so I can use the extendable portion of the lift arm with the lift pad in place. Mine is on the lift right now so will take some pictures before I put it back down.

The thing I like the least about the Max Jax is the lack of stopping locations. There are times when I only want to lift the car to the half way point between the floor and the bottom hole and there are other times I want to lift it to a point between the bottom hole and the top hole. Without any holes drilled into the lift columns in those locations I have to work with no safety supports keeping the lift up if the hydraulics fail. I don't get under the car unless I can have the safety supports in place but there are times when I am taking the wheels on and off when I want to have the lift at different heights than the holes permit. Same goes for working under my Tahoe. I can't lift it to the top of the Max Jax as I will break the ceiling lights so I have to set it at the middle position. That means I can't lay under the car on my creeper and reach the bottom of the car to work on it. It needs to be about a foot lower and no way am I going to lay under a 5200 lb vehicle with no safety support.

Here are the pictures I took today showing a Z06/Z07 on the lift using the thicker aluminum lift pucks. You can see the clearance to the side skirts and estimate how much it will reduce if you remove the lift pucks or the lift pads or both.

Driver's front showing hole for lift pad in the rocker/side skirt

View from Driver's side to Passenger side under car.

Passenger side rear

C5/C6/C7 all have enough room for a lift pad at the front shipping slot without using a lift puck. The C5 is the only one of the three that absolutely needs the use of a lift puck in the rear since the opening around the rear shipping slot isn't large enough to fit a lift pad. Both the C6 and C7 have enough room around the rear shipping slot to get by without using a lift puck and the lift pad will only contact the frame if carefully placed.

The problem is vertical clearance from the rocker or side skirt to the actual lift arm. A Stingray probably can get by without the pucks but clearance would probably be iffy with side skirts. It would depend on the thickness of the lift pad. Some commercial lifts have pads with a center section that will pop up to provide more room.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-04-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 PM
danh63
Instructor

Thanks for the info! I had my floor cut out on the one side and redid the anchor system so I have 2 sets of holes in the floor. One and the min and one at the max. I am trying to figure out this whole side skirt deal and was wondering if that was going to cause issues with the lift.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks great info
Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 AM
danh63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure about the C3 setup as it has been 30 years since I sold my last C3 but you need to have the Max Jax set up with the lift columns at their max permissible between them. Mine are set 130 inches. If they are narrower than that you end up with the car sitting on the non extendable parts of the lift arms.

Getting the car aligned so it isn't too far to one side or the other is critical to making sure you can actually use the pads on the lift. If I get too far off center I will take a real hockey puck and place it below the lift puck in the frame so it fits between the non extendable part of the lift arm and the lift puck. I put tape on the floor so I know the places to put my left side wheels and where they need to be centered.

The video shows the person using hockey pucks instead of the lift pads. I suspect his car is lowered to some degree since there should be enough room between the frame with a lift puck inserted and the lift pad. As you can see in the video he has very little clearance between the lift arm and the rolled edge of the rocker panel. If you have a car with side skirts on this becomes a problem since their outer edge is lower than the rocker. I had that problem with my lowered C6Z after I put side skirts on it. I have no clearance issues with my C7Z since it isn't lowered but I still have to make sure the car is centered so I can use the extendable portion of the lift arm with the lift pad in place. Mine is on the lift right now so will take some pictures before I put it back down.

The thing I like the least about the Max Jax is the lack of stopping locations. There are times when I only want to lift the car to the half way point between the floor and the bottom hole and there are other times I want to lift it to a point between the bottom hole and the top hole. Without any holes drilled into the lift columns in those locations I have to work with no safety supports keeping the lift up if the hydraulics fail. I don't get under the car unless I can have the safety supports in place but there are times when I am taking the wheels on and off when I want to have the lift at different heights than the holes permit. Same goes for working under my Tahoe. I can't lift it to the top of the Max Jax as I will break the ceiling lights so I have to set it at the middle position. That means I can't lay under the car on my creeper and reach the bottom of the car to work on it. It needs to be about a foot lower and no way am I going to lay under a 5200 lb vehicle with no safety support.

Here are the pictures I took today showing a Z06/Z07 on the lift using the thicker aluminum lift pucks. You can see the clearance to the side skirts and estimate how much it will reduce if you remove the lift pucks or the lift pads or both.

Driver's front showing hole for lift pad in the rocker/side skirt

View from Driver's side to Passenger side under car.

Passenger side rear

C5/C6/C7 all have enough room for a lift pad at the front shipping slot without using a lift puck. The C5 is the only one of the three that absolutely needs the use of a lift puck in the rear since the opening around the rear shipping slot isn't large enough to fit a lift pad. Both the C6 and C7 have enough room around the rear shipping slot to get by without using a lift puck and the lift pad will only contact the frame if carefully placed.

The problem is vertical clearance from the rocker or side skirt to the actual lift arm. A Stingray probably can get by without the pucks but clearance would probably be iffy with side skirts. It would depend on the thickness of the lift pad. Some commercial lifts have pads with a center section that will pop up to provide more room.

Bill
Thank You! I ordered lift pucks last week.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by ALS 08
A set of 4 cheap hockey pucks work VERY well too.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:23 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

UPDATED Video after 5 Year of heavy enthusiast use!

After five years of owning the MaxJax, I put together a 5-year long term review. They have revised the MaxJax in 2020 - but it appears to be largely the same unit.

I have done several big jobs on the MaxJax in the past 3 years - including a C5 clutch upgrade that entails removing the entire rear suspenson , transaxle and torque tube. How did the MaxJax do? - check out the video to find out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Toys4Life C5:
danh63 (07-25-2020), rc51racer (11-09-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Drive_Sell_Win
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like BendPak is now in control of MaxJax and they've addressed some of the quirks. They're taking about it on garage journal.
https://www.maxjax.com/pub/downloads...e-Features.pdf
Old 07-23-2020, 11:37 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Drive_Sell_Win
It looks like BendPak is now in control of MaxJax and they've addressed some of the quirks. They're taking about it on garage journal.
https://www.maxjax.com/pub/downloads...e-Features.pdf

I heard they were bought. Glad it was by a good company - parts (if needed) should be around for some time to come!

Get notified of new replies

To 2 post MaxJax mid rise 2 post lift review

Quick Reply: 2 post MaxJax mid rise 2 post lift review