Driver's seat clicking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 PM
invalidfunction
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's seat clicking noise?

Hi all!

I was able to save up some money and buy my first vette recently - a new 2016 1LT Z51. Boy, do I love this thing! I've already put 5,600 miles on it in just a few months. Unfortunately, I've been having some interior sound problems recently and while most of the rattles go away after a while, there are a few that just refuse to fix themselves (womp womp.) The biggest two I have are the fairly common: the classic center-vent rattle and dashboard pad rubbing noises;

But the worst one is this weird clicking noise from the driver side seat area - this one is different because I don't know what it could be xD

I set up a dealer appointment and the tech basically said "that's what you get when you buy a vette, it is going to make noises like this; trying to fix it will make it worse" - when I called Chevy they apologized and recommended me try out another dealer. The bummer is that the new dealer doesn't have spots open until mid October (womp womp) but they seem like they want to help me out

So I know the center vent rattle can be fixed with some foam, but this clicking sound is driving me insane - I just cant seem to pinpoint where it is coming from - here's a video:

(the exhaust drowns out the audio in the video more than it does in real life, you might have to turn down the bass on your headphones to really hear it)

It's this really annoying 'clicking' noise - here are somethings I tried:

1) Checked the belt tensioner - doesn't budge or click when I put pressure on it
2) Removed interior trim in that area to see if it is a clip - nope
3) Checked under seat for something loose - nope
4) Lubed up seatbelt pulley with some spray lubricant - nope

Does anyone else have ideas or has seen this before? It seems to be caused with general body flexing, and today I was able to trigger it by moving around in the seat (which I couldn't do a few days ago) It's also getting louder and more frequent in the last 50-100 miles or so

I'm starting to think it might be something in the seat itself

Luckily, this problem is fixable by stretching out my right leg with the window rolled down

Last edited by invalidfunction; 09-21-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:09 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Sorry, I can't get past womp, womp!😂
Old 09-22-2016, 05:46 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine had a clicking/creaking since new, its something in the seat back. If I hit a bump where I move side to side a little or going around a bumpy curve its pretty annoying. I can grab the seat back top and twist it and reproduce it.

There have been a couple other posts about it (if you have the same noise, cant hear anything on your video), its most likely a clip or something not attached rigth under the seat cover. It annoys me but not enough to let the dealer tear into it.

Last edited by kp; 09-22-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 AM
invalidfunction
4th Gear

I have a feeling it is a clip in the seat cover; I've ruled out the door, hood, and seat rail today. I haven't been able to reproduce this manually though, only when I'm sitting down and the car is moving does it click. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that I don't know what it is ;P

It wasn't loud enough for the first few weeks to bother me but recently its been getting louder. I guess it is because it is right next to my head. Whenever I'm daily driving I love to turn off the radio and listen to the exhaust but the clicking noise can be a little distracting. Rolling the window down helps a bunch, but sometimes it is just too damn hot in Texas to do that :P

When I find this out, I'll post here
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by invalidfunction
I have a feeling it is a clip in the seat cover; I've ruled out the door, hood, and seat rail today. I haven't been able to reproduce this manually though, only when I'm sitting down and the car is moving does it click. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that I don't know what it is ;P

It wasn't loud enough for the first few weeks to bother me but recently its been getting louder. I guess it is because it is right next to my head. Whenever I'm daily driving I love to turn off the radio and listen to the exhaust but the clicking noise can be a little distracting. Rolling the window down helps a bunch, but sometimes it is just too damn hot in Texas to do that :P

When I find this out, I'll post here
At first I thought it was something all the way in the back creaking/clicking, but it is definitely in the seat back. If I grab the seat back the right way and twist it just right I can reproduce it. Or I can just sit in the seat and move around and it will do it

I know exactly where its coming from yet it still annoys me, just not enough to let the dealer rip it apart or take it apart myself. With the radio up or the top off I dont hear it, just been too hot lately to drive with the top off.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 AM
invalidfunction
4th Gear

I just got back from the dealer - they fixed a few things that were causing my head to spin:

1) left side, center, and far right side vents were all replaced (they had the infamous rattle)
2) the tech installed felt padding to fix a creaking noise from the instrument cluster lens - there is a TSB for this - 16-NA-084

I've driven about 30 miles or so and no more seat clicking. The tech was able to hear it before he did those repairs but we haven't been able to replicate it since those repairs took place. We are thinking the sound traveled from the left side vent or the instrument cluster and it made it sound like it was coming from the seat. Either way, good news so far!

I will repost here if the sound comes back - but if you have the same issue and I haven't replied in a while, it is probably coming from the dash!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:28 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Mine is no doubt coming from the seat, I can just sit in the car without it running and move a little side to side in the seat and it does it.

I can also make it do it by grabbing the seat back the right way and twisting it. I can move the seat, lumbar and bolster adjustments and it will quit for a while but it always comes back.

If the dash was your problem then thats awesome, the seat thing wouldn't be so bad but I can actually feel something in the seat when it makes the noise so even with the radio up or the top up it still annoys me a bit. Its better than the C6 seat rock though, when the car is a little older and if I still own it I'll tear into it. I'm hoping one day something will wear in and it goes away on its own
Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,397 Likes on 1,000 Posts

ever find a fix? I have a noise that I think is the same as yours. Sounds like its coming from the seat belt/back speaker area left of driver.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 PM
T-TOP TOM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Default seat back noise

Originally Posted by kp
Mine is no doubt coming from the seat, I can just sit in the car without it running and move a little side to side in the seat and it does it.

I can also make it do it by grabbing the seat back the right way and twisting it. I can move the seat, lumbar and bolster adjustments and it will quit for a while but it always comes back.

If the dash was your problem then thats awesome, the seat thing wouldn't be so bad but I can actually feel something in the seat when it makes the noise so even with the radio up or the top up it still annoys me a bit. Its better than the C6 seat rock though, when the car is a little older and if I still own it I'll tear into it. I'm hoping one day something will wear in and it goes away on its own

I have the same noise took it to dealer and they couldn't fix it either. Hope someone finds a cure soon.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:14 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by T-TOP TOM
I have the same noise took it to dealer and they couldn't fix it either. Hope someone finds a cure soon.
I fixed it myself, might help you with the dealer if you dont want to try it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vers-seat.html

It was getting very annoying, now its like driving a new car again.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver's seat clicking noise?

Quick Reply: Driver's seat clicking noise?