Sponsored by:

New owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:36 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,520 Likes on 1,900 Posts
Default New owner with a few questions

Hello Everyone. Picked up a new 16 all black Z51 last week. A few questions for the long-time owners:

I have XPEL on my Camaro. Works great on the car whether on street or track events. Placed in strategic locations on the Camaro and 0 issues after 4 years. Would you guys recommend XPEL? Something else you prefer? what locations should I concentrate on?

The 2 plastic air dams on either side of the bumper rub on my driveway. I used 2 way tape to attach a couple plastic strips to the bottom of air dams. Anyone have a better solution? I'm sure some of you will laugh at me for this and that's fine, but it's my car and i'm picky.

Floor mats, what do you guys use? I still have the dealer paper ones over the factory mats. Is weathertech best or is there a more reasonably priced solution that fits?

Lastly, a whole lot of room in the back. Best way to secure cargo? Should I just buy a cargo net?

Thanks everyone
Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Hello Everyone. Picked up a new 16 all black Z51 last week. A few questions for the long-time owners:

I have XPEL on my Camaro. Works great on the car whether on street or track events. Placed in strategic locations on the Camaro and 0 issues after 4 years. Would you guys recommend XPEL? Something else you prefer? what locations should I concentrate on?

The 2 plastic air dams on either side of the bumper rub on my driveway. I used 2 way tape to attach a couple plastic strips to the bottom of air dams. Anyone have a better solution? I'm sure some of you will laugh at me for this and that's fine, but it's my car and i'm picky.

Floor mats, what do you guys use? I still have the dealer paper ones over the factory mats. Is weathertech best or is there a more reasonably priced solution that fits?

Lastly, a whole lot of room in the back. Best way to secure cargo? Should I just buy a cargo net?

Thanks everyone
Cargo net, Lloyds floor mats, side skirts.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 AM
Texan8205
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said, plus Xpel on the front clip.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Thanks everyone
Not really sure what you are asking here.

Beside the well documented aerodynamic properties that they provide at higher speeds, they also serve as an early-warning device for clearance issues on the car. I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about the tape at the bottom of them.

Do you have pics that might explain this a little better?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:47 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks everyone
The air dams are expendable, cheap to replace if you so feel compelled, and as stated give warning before hitting the radiator support, which is a bad thing. Get used to pulling in driveways and taking steep angles and dips at an angle. And don't worry about the sound - as long as it isn't the bumper or the supports you're good to go.

Lloyds mats are the top choice, and best IMHO. Had them on all previous Vettes, and have them in both of our C7's. Some site vendors have very good pricing.

The C7 cargo cover works well, and is easy to put on and take off. You can also get the cargo net for the rear.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
The air dams are expendable, cheap to replace if you so feel compelled, and as stated give warning before hitting the radiator support, which is a bad thing. Get used to pulling in driveways and taking steep angles and dips at an angle. And don't worry about the sound - as long as it isn't the bumper or the supports you're good to go.

Lloyds mats are the top choice, and best IMHO. Had them on all previous Vettes, and have them in both of our C7's. Some site vendors have very good pricing.

The C7 cargo cover works well, and is easy to put on and take off. You can also get the cargo net for the rear.
In the 5 years I had my C6 it scraped the air dam every time I left my driveway and all I did was sand the bottom edge a few times. Also I added FANGS to protect the "skid pads," which I hit several times in the C6! That aluminum on pavement sound makes the scrapping air dam noise sound like music! (OP can search word FANG in Forum.)

I also installed Lloyds Mats, better than OEM.

Below are 2 pics of what I use to carry groceries etc in the rear! Made a collapsible wood partition for a carrier from Bed Bath & Beyond! More info for the OP in this PDF if interested: http://netwelding.com/Rear_Cargo_Area.pdf

Use a Fender Protector I put over spoiler when putting heavy items in the back. Collapsed Carrier fits flat when not in use.

Made wood inserts to hold grocery bags, milk etc. They lay flat when not in use.

Lloyds Mats are great.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-20-2016 at 05:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Thanks everyone for your input. Here's the pic someone requested. I don't want to get rid of them, I'm just wondering if there's a better solution than the strips of plastic I two-way taped on. (For the Camaro, zl1addons makes splitter guards) just wondering if there's a better solution for the Vette.

Also, I have a 1lt with the z51 package. Do the privacy shades and netting come with a higher package? Nothing in the trunk. Just the factory battery tender, the rings and the fuel nozzle. Am I missing stuff?

I track my 1LE sometimes so I have plans of occasionally tracking this car as well. The z51, magnetic ride/PTM was far more important to me than 2 or 3 LT. Just wondering if the shades and netting is on higher optioned cars or if I'm just missing mine.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for your input. Here's the pic someone requested. I don't want to get rid of them, I'm just wondering if there's a better solution than the strips of plastic I two-way taped on. (For the Camaro, zl1addons makes splitter guards) just wondering if there's a better solution for the Vette.

Also, I have a 1lt with the z51 package. Do the privacy shades and netting come with a higher package? Nothing in the trunk. Just the factory battery tender, the rings and the fuel nozzle. Am I missing stuff?

I track my 1LE sometimes so I have plans of occasionally tracking this car as well. The z51, magnetic ride/PTM was far more important to me than 2 or 3 LT. Just wondering if the shades and netting is on higher optioned cars or if I'm just missing mine.
Thanks
Yep, the rear net and shade that attaches to the hatch only come with the 2/3LT. Nothing else other than the rings and fuel nozzle come with the car. Battery charger is an option on all trim levels.

Looks like you added some door edge trim to the air dam. Good idea! I'll just sand mine off occasionally as I did in my C6! Hard to see unless you bend down and I really don't care what the ants see! Actually my C7 does not scrap when I leave my driveway where my C6 did almost every time. Plus on a Z51 only have them on the ends.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-21-2016 at 06:51 AM.
LT4CMG (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Thank you Jerry. And that is one beautiful interior on your car
Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks everyone
I highly recommend Xpel Ultimate. Had the entire front forward of the doors done plus mirrors, headlights & rockers. I also recommend adding side skirts and splash guards to reduce damage from road rash coming off the tires. ACS Composite makes high quality products.

I've seen people custom make a ramp for the front gutter of the driveway to eliminate scrapping.

I use Lloyd's floor mats in front and WeatherTech cargo mat in the rear. Both are excellent products.

I also bought a 3 section cargo net off Amazon that works great in place of the GM net.

Search the forum to find more info on all these items. There's a wealth of info buried here. And most of all, go out and enjoy your ride, it's awesome!!
LT4CMG (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you Jerry. And that is one beautiful interior on your car
Thanks. This is another pic. However they changed the 3LT Kalahari and it no longer has the large amount of tan leather on the dash! For my planned GS will probably go with a 2LT two tone gray which will look OK with the black leather on the dash. Saves money so I can add other options and later mods!

2014 3LT Kalahari
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gymbow
I highly recommend Xpel Ultimate. Had the entire front forward of the doors done plus mirrors, headlights & rockers. I also recommend adding side skirts and splash guards to reduce damage from road rash coming off the tires. ACS Composite makes high quality products.

I've seen people custom make a ramp for the front gutter of the driveway to eliminate scrapping.

I use Lloyd's floor mats in front and WeatherTech cargo mat in the rear. Both are excellent products.

I also bought a 3 section cargo net off Amazon that works great in place of the GM net.

Search the forum to find more info on all these items. There's a wealth of info buried here. And most of all, go out and enjoy your ride, it's awesome!!
I'm very familiar with ACS, great guys and great products. Can you post a couple pics of your skirts and guards from ACS?

Last edited by LT4CMG; 09-21-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 PM
Gymbow
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm very familiar with ACS, great guys and great products. Can you post a couple pics of your skirts and guards from ACS?
These don't show the guards too well, but the ACS ones are designed to be wider than the GM guards and extend further down to protect the front of the skirts. Hope this helps.

LT4CMG (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Thanks everyone
The air dams are designed to handle rubbing like you are getting and they are easily and cheaply replaced when they wear out. Been that way for a lot of years on Corvettes. Not a big deal.

I have Xpel on my car. I do a lot of track events and it is getting some damage. Something flew off the front wheel at VIR and put a couple of digs in the Expel film on the rear brake ducts. The product is not self healing.

The key places to add a protection film like Expel is on the lower sides of the car. The front just doesn't get that much damage from other cars on the street. Your own tires will throw up far more debris onto the side and rear quarters of the car. You aren't driving a CUV or SUV where the crap from the wheels hits the underside of the car.

I just use the factory floor mats. If they wear out I will replace them with factory ones or if they aren't available I will get some aftermarket ones. Not Weathertech. The factory ones in my 2003 Tahoe are still doing fine although the driver's mat has all of the carpet worn off it where my heel rests when my foot is on the gas pedal. Almost 110K miles and 17 years and the factory mats did well.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-22-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New owner with a few questions

Quick Reply: New owner with a few questions