Sponsored by:

Discount Tire fixed my flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,232 Likes on 2,277 Posts

Originally Posted by MWAZ
I took my right rear original run-flat tire (off the vehicle) to my local Discount Tire for repair. I had run over a nail that was stuck in the middle of the tread. I told the manager I was very concerned that my wheel might get damaged and asked him if they had the new Hunter “no touch” tire changer that I had read about. He said yes but his service technicians preferred to use the older standard changing equipment. He didn’t explain why. Anyway, I told him to use whichever method he wanted but I was very nervous about potential rim damage. (You better not scratch it!). I had him confirm my wheel rim was perfect.

The damage was repaired with plug and patch per Michelin requirements and upon inspection the rim was still perfect – no marks. Out of curiosity I asked the manager which method his techs used. He smiled and told me they used the regular machine.

So… Discount Tire repaired my flat, didn’t scratch the rim and did a Road Force balance all at no charge. You can’t beat that.

I never did find out why they didn’t like the newer touchless machine.

Do you have black or chrome wheels?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:15 PM
scantor
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flat repair.....

Originally Posted by MWAZ
I took my right rear original run-flat tire (off the vehicle) to my local Discount Tire for repair. I had run over a nail that was stuck in the middle of the tread. I told the manager I was very concerned that my wheel might get damaged and asked him if they had the new Hunter “no touch” tire changer that I had read about. He said yes but his service technicians preferred to use the older standard changing equipment. He didn’t explain why. Anyway, I told him to use whichever method he wanted but I was very nervous about potential rim damage. (You better not scratch it!). I had him confirm my wheel rim was perfect.

The damage was repaired with plug and patch per Michelin requirements and upon inspection the rim was still perfect – no marks. Out of curiosity I asked the manager which method his techs used. He smiled and told me they used the regular machine.

So… Discount Tire repaired my flat, didn’t scratch the rim and did a Road Force balance all at no charge. You can’t beat that.

I never did find out why they didn’t like the newer touchless machine.

I am in Boise as well, which Discount Tire did you use? Eagle Road told me they couldn't do it.... they cant remount the tire after the repair...
Thank you!
Scott
Old 07-19-2021, 10:01 PM
MWAZ
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scantor
I am in Boise as well, which Discount Tire did you use? Eagle Road told me they couldn't do it.... they cant remount the tire after the repair...
Thank you!
Scott
I use the Discount Tire on Eagle near Ustick and deal with the store manager, Greg Wood, although he may not have been the manager at the time. Michelin has (or had) a policy of repair under certain conditions such as where the nail hole was located, how big, previous repair, etc. Mine must have met the criteria at the time. Check the Michelin web site for their current warranty/repair info.

Oh, and to answer another question, my wheels are stock chrome.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:27 PM
rwilson3944
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I agree

There based here in my home town Phoenix / Scottsdale and I won't buy tires from anyone else, there customer service is top notch. Couple of times during the year they have great rebate sales and cash back if you use there CC I have saved over $300.00 on a set of Michelins.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:44 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Have been a DT/AT customer for twenty years on five different cars... Was concerned about how they'd handle my C7, but they continue to be a first class operation in a time when competence seems to be in short supply!

Last edited by jimmbbo; 07-20-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:49 AM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts

I too am a big fan of Discount Tire! But it depends on location.
Very good experiences at locations- Tomball tx., Texas City, League City Tx.

However, The Katy Tx location is terrible.

Hope your DT location is good.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:09 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
Discount Tire fixed my flat for free... I've been buying tires from them ever since. Genius marketing plan on their end.
You tout Discount tires and show love for Manny Moe and Jack, the Pep Boys. Spread the wealth ( But I would not even trust the Pep Boys to check my tire pressure, not even to change a tire on my Garden tractor!!
Rich
Old 07-20-2021, 10:31 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I love DT and have used them for three decades, but they did nick all four of my wheels on my Z06/Z07. They repaired them and I was skeptical, but they came out alright. If my wheels were chrome I don't think they could have repaired them, though. One of the tires had a slow leak and I took it to a different DT location that had better tire changing equipment and re-seated the bead and it was fine.

The key is to ask them what tire-changing equipment that they have and if they have a touchless tire changer for large 20"+, low profile, run-flat tires. The DT who nicked all four of my wheels didn't have trouble getting the new tires to seal the bead to the wheels (which is the typical issue with these sorts of tires/wheels,) they just had trouble getting the old tires off the wheels.

Quick Reply: Discount Tire fixed my flat