C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow Vette Owners & Members....Please Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Moreover, according to the OP's account, the car has now been destroyed by water damage. Asking Corvette's Chief Engineer to comment on this case would be insulting, and would likely end his agreement to entertain questions from this audience.
Seriously? Asking the Chief Engineer if HIS car would be affected by being in the rain for several hours with no protection, and getting completely soaked through and through, would be insulting? That is a completely technical question. So is asking him if an aluminum frame can safely be weld repaired.

I'm just trying to suggest things to help, instead of suggesting things that the OP has already tried.

Last edited by Cobraboy; 10-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Cmon dude, a Corvette engineer is not the person to bother with this and you know it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Silver Stingray:
Crossed Flags Fan (10-02-2016), Foosh (10-02-2016), Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraboy
Seriously? Asking the Chief Engineer if HIS car would be affected by being in the rain for several hours with no protection, and getting completely soaked through and through, would be insulting? That is a completely technical question. So is asking him if an aluminum frame can safely be weld repaired.

I'm just trying to suggest things to help, instead of suggesting things that the OP has already tried.
No comment, other than to say if you don't "get it" at this point, you're not going to get it.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

At this stage your only option is a law suit. (You can sue anybody for anything at any time)! You need to sue body shop one and body shop two for damages, lawyer will dictate proceedings against responsible parties. Hire a good intimidating lawyer to send fear into the responsible individuals. It is going to cost money, (couple of thousand dollars a month) in the end you should be able to recover legal costs plus the cost of vehicle repair.
lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
Cmon dude, a Corvette engineer is not the person to bother with this and you know it.
Actually I don't know it. As a Chief Engineer myself, a Corvette engineer would be the perfect person to answer the technical questions I have suggested.

If it was your car sitting in pieces for 2 months and you had completely run out of options, you might feel different. And before more options are suggested, please read the entire thread to see that everyone's suggestions have already been exhausted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cobraboy:
itaylorm (10-02-2016), lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

There are no "technical questions" to be asked. He was wronged by dealer service departments, tow companies and insurance companies. None of which have anything to do with the Corvette engineering team. I have read the entire thread. Perhaps you should do the same, or at least the first post. anyone with any sense would realize the engineering team has no interest in this situation.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-02-2016 at 03:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silver Stingray:
Crossed Flags Fan (10-02-2016), Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

C-Boy,

The questions you've suggested be asked of the Corvette Chief Engineer already have rather obvious answers to anyone with just basic knowledge.

Yes, aluminum can be welded, as it is at the factory when the frame pieces are assembled. Yes electronics can be damaged by sitting exposed in a rain-storm. Yes, anything can be repaired if done properly, and the question becomes, is repair cost-effective? Those are the obvious answers he'd provide if he agreed to answer the question at all, which is doubtful.

None of those questions are going to help the OP, because it's now a legal fight over who was to blame for not doing the repairs properly, as well as damaging the car further by exposing it to water damage. That is a legal question NOT an engineering question.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-02-2016 at 02:51 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Foosh:
Crossed Flags Fan (10-02-2016), JenFZ09 (10-03-2016), Maxie2U (10-02-2016), Silver Stingray (10-02-2016), ssidekickbp (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
Well then you are a fool. There are no "technical questions" to be asked.
Nice that we're keeping this impersonal.

If you don't think that asking if the aluminum frame can be safely welded by a body shop, then I guess we have different ideas of what "technical" means. It could be extremely important to the case here.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

Read what Foosh posted. He stated it more eloquently than I. As a self proclaimed "Chief Engineer" this stuff should be elementary to you.
Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
C-Boy,

The answers you've suggested be as asked of the Corvette Chief Engineer already have rather obvious answers to anyone with just basic knowledge.

Yes, aluminum can be welded, as it is at the factory when the frame pieces are assembled.
For crying out loud, am I the only one that knows anything about aluminum structural welding and heat-treating outside the factory conditions?

I give up, you all know more.

Last edited by Cobraboy; 10-02-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

For crying out loud, am I the only one that knows anything about aluminum structural welding and heat-treating outside the factory conditions?
Yes welding aluminum requires a different process than iron or steel. But, for crying out loud, it doesn't matter in this case. It's painfully clear the repair shops screwed up, which is all that is relevant.

For crying out loud, how do you expect him to know what the hell the repair shops did? No true professional would speculate absent details that he has no way of knowing.
Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,246 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Actually I don't know it. As a Chief Engineer myself, a Corvette engineer would be the perfect person to answer the technical questions I have suggested.

If it was your car sitting in pieces for 2 months and you had completely run out of options, you might feel different. And before more options are suggested, please read the entire thread to see that everyone's suggestions have already been exhausted.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:18 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd say since you ARE the victim, play it as the victim, you have 25k views on this thread, all CORVETTE AND GM OWNERS, show that to people, i've "threatened" several company's of products that i've purchased that have failed, or not been up to par.

I know this is not the EXACT situation you're in but it may help. Every single one that i've emailed/spoke to and once I brought up anything involving a "following" and social media they quickly fixed their mistakes, no questions asked, all costs done on their end, and me a happy customer who changed my review on whatever site I reviewed the products on.

You have PLENTY of evidence to prove you're in the right and have been screwed over, you're not looking to make a dollar on this, make other people see it that way aswell, goodluck
lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

All I've been trying to do is to suggest things that might be helpful. All you 2 (Foosh & Silver Stingray) have done is criticize or suggest things that the OP has clearly stated he has tried.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cobraboy:
itaylorm (10-02-2016), lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

The only person who should be hounded and continually questioned is the insurance claim adjuster. Geico is the only company you could truly go after in a case like this. GM has nothing to do with the cars claim.

I'd be blowing up his phone until my car was declared totaled at this point.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks different, but if an insurance company "Can't" find anyone to fix the car, then to me it is by definition: totaled.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 10-02-2016 at 04:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssidekickbp:
Foosh (10-02-2016), lpabsolute (10-02-2016), Maxie2U (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:03 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
You have to be joking.

I truly feel for the OP, I really do but his accident is NOT a GM problem and certainly is not a "Ask Tadge" question. To submit such a question to Tadge, Corvette Chief ENGINEER would be a betrayal to the trust this forum has built with him.

Let me say it again. The OP's car was in an accident which has nothing to do with GM and especially has nothing to do with the Corvette Engineering Department They don't own the dealership, the tow company or Geico.
Corvette engineering has zero interest in this sordid story.
The following 2 users liked this post by rmorin1249:
Maxie2U (10-02-2016), ssidekickbp (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

All I've been trying to do is to suggest things that might be helpful. All you 2 (Foosh & Silver Stingray) have done is criticize or suggest things that the OP has clearly stated he has tried.
You are completely off-base with the above remark.

If you had read this entire thread, you would have seen a lengthy post from me trying to help by persuading OP that he needed to hire a very good attorney. Driver9 amplified that by educating him that there are good ones out there who specialize in "bad-faith" claims, which are subject to triple damage awards, including reimbursement for legal fees. It appears that he's been talking to the wrong types of attorneys.

No insurance company or car dealership wants to suffer that kind of exposure, and he has a great case. When faced with that kind of exposure, more often than not, companies sued for bad-faith breach of contract will settle early without risking a trial rather than risk an adverse award as well as legal fees on their end.

OP fears spending the money on legal fees, but his alternative is continuing to make payments on a car he will likely not get back, or walking away from it, and having black marks on his credit rating for many years.

My criticism was with your ill-advised idea of contacting the Corvette Chief Engineer, which would serve absolutely no useful purpose.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
lpabsolute (10-02-2016), Maxie2U (10-02-2016), Micster (10-02-2016), ssidekickbp (10-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Fellow Vette Owners & Members....Please Help Me!!!

Old 10-02-2016, 04:26 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by skipperC7
I think a good avenue to go would be to post this info on EVERY FORUM you can think of!! I'm a member on a gun forum for AR15's which has a massive following for every walk of life you can imagine, and some are very influential. You need to get the word out on the those dealers (it's time to name names) and Geico and flood the Internet forums with this info. It will spread like wildfire and will eventually ignite the right fire. The more minds involved and the more chatter the worse off it is for the offending parties in this matter.
Please don't do this. While skipperC7 is correct that ARFCOM has a massive and broad following, the Avilas do not want issues that are totally unrelated to their forum to be posted there. I wouldn't be surprised that this is the case for most discussion forums.

I'll see if there is a way to post your feedback on there in such a way that the owners don't have a problem with it. If so, it could be a model to post on other forums.
lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I'd be willing to bet that as soon as Geico receives a certified notice of a bad-faith lawsuit filed against them, they will quickly decide to declare the car a total loss and offer to pay full retail value of a comparable replacement. It is then up to them to decide to go after the repair shops involved or write it off. A settlement like that is pocket change to Geico.

If this story is exactly as portrayed by OP, and I'll assume that it is for the purpose of this argument, this is a slam dunk case. In such cases, legal fees can be minimal.

The OP has probably been dealing exclusively with low-level Geico claims adjusters, whose job it is to minimize claims. If the facts as described in this thread are verified and arrive in a lawsuit, the Geico legal department will make an entirely different decision.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-02-2016 at 05:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JenFZ09 (10-03-2016), lpabsolute (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 05:27 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think the Geico folks have figured out that you will not hire an attorney and so have decided that they do not have to deal with you seriously. If I was in your shoes I would be angry enough to take a second job if I had to to afford a good attorney. I would do whatever it takes to sue Geico. And I would do that even if the attorney told me I did not have a high probability of winning the case. BTW, I especially like the advice offered by Driver9.
driver9 (10-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Fellow Vette Owners & Members....Please Help Me!!!