Nav/Infotainment upgrade for 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:26 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
I have a 2015 3LT with Nav/PDR but I want the car play. This full upgrade requires I take apart the entire dash to replace the module behind the stereo correct??
I don't think so, but I had my dealer install it so I can't say for sure. There are YouTube videos on the OEM website. CarPlay is nice, but the factory Nav difference from 2014 to 2016 is a huge improvement.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
TheBobman
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

ssidekickbp;

nope, no dash torn apart. The carplay is in the XMRadio, which resides under the passenger side carpet, behind the BCM. You MIGHT have to also replace the HMI, which is much easier, in the drivers kick panel.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:37 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobman
ssidekickbp; nope, no dash torn apart. The carplay is in the XMRadio, which resides under the passenger side carpet, behind the BCM. You MIGHT have to also replace the HMI, which is much easier, in the drivers kick panel.
Thank you for that information. That was my main concern, I'll go ahead and order it, now that I know it's a bit simpler than I originally thought.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:49 PM
TheBobman
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

In case you do...

2015 Corvette Stingray Coupe; 2LT no NPP and no Mag Ride

Remove Passenger Kick Panel (snaps out, no screws)
Remove under dash panel (two snap in fasteners in front edge, no screws)
Fold back carpet
Remove shiny metal protector plate (two nuts on floor, one bolt on firewall)
Unsnap large Body Control Module (do not unplug) and lay flat on floor
The Radio Module is on the back (to you, front of car) side of the bracket that holds the Body Control Module. Remove the bolt on the upper right side of the bracket. Release the Radio Module from its clips while it is still being the bracket. Pull bracket to you enough to slide module out to your left, and around the bracket.
Unplug all connectors.
Reverse order for install.

The other side is well documented…just thought this might help others.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:47 AM
tv_dir
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Have Nav!

Originally Posted by rooster og
yes, for $999 you can upgrade your system. Add $400 for carplay/android auto.

i have a 2014 z51 3lt that has the navigation. Does anyone know where i can find an upgrade module to be able to get apple car play /android auto?? (i have an android, so android auto is really all i need to add thanks guys, and merry christmas and a happy new year! 👍[/spoiler]​​​​​​​

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/produc...ant=1025047957
​​​​​​​
Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Quote: Also, the latter years let you display the Nav in the HUD but not so for '14's.

My 14 displays Navigation in the HUD. ��
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

My 14 3LT with factory nav displays in the HUD. I would like to have apple car play and need to know what other benefits will be seen by upgrading to the IO6. I also think the upgrade removes the SD card reader and I use that for music already. So far it seems for $1,400 I get Apple Car Play and improved factory nav and lose the SD card slot. Correct?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by wlittle49
My 14 3LT with factory nav displays in the HUD. I would like to have apple car play and need to know what other benefits will be seen by upgrading to the IO6. I also think the upgrade removes the SD card reader and I use that for music already. So far it seems for $1,400 I get Apple Car Play and improved factory nav and lose the SD card slot. Correct?
That's correct. You can technically keep the SD card slot, but it won't charge a newer phone very well. The SD+USB module doesn't output as much charging current as the newer USB-only modules. Low profile USB drives are so cheap, there's no reason not to just transfer your music off SD and over to USB and be done with it. You can also get tiny USB readers that'll accept a micro SD card. I keep one of those in the USB socket behind the main screen.
The following users liked this post:
wlittle49 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Jeff V. Appreciate the reply and I just ordered the upgrade from the OEM Infotainment website shown above. $1259 delivered. Looking forward to it because I am an old codger and will keep this 2014 until I go over to the other side.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:05 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Does this work on the 14/15 Z yet? Last I tried to buy it, they wouldn't guarantee it, so I passed.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by wlittle49
Jeff V. Appreciate the reply and I just ordered the upgrade from the OEM Infotainment website shown above. $1259 delivered. Looking forward to it because I am an old codger and will keep this 2014 until I go over to the other side.
Let us know how the install goes and what you lose in the process.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Will do Matthew. It is supposed to arrive this Saturday by priority mail, so we shall see if it does. I am in Mississippi and it is coming out of Orlando, FL, so that should not be impossible. So far I am expecting to lose the NPP exhaust setting where I can quieten things down. (don't know why anyone would want to do such) Then the SD Card reader will be replaced by two USB ports. No big deal because I use the SD card for media music and I can use a USB stick for the same thing. Also, I do not have to run the GPS antenna up to the front dash radio speaker location because I already have factory Nav that will just be upgraded to the IOC 6 version. That is supposed to be better than what came with the 2014 version.

So, I am expecting to have two modules and a USB/SD card port to swap out.

The question I have is the map update. A month ago I purchased the 2018 map update from GM and updated the map. Will the new Nav module have an updated map? If I apply the 2018 map update to the IO6 module with that screw up the works? I will ask those questions to the OEM Infotainment people before I do that.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM
wlittle49
Racer

The folks at Infotainment have replied to email questions within an hour with exactly what I needed to know. They have also provided a holidayjj code to use for a 10% discount through the end of the year and are working on continuing that for forum members. To me this is a first class company that takes care of customers.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

When they can offer the upgrade to a 2015 3LT without losing PDR or other functions let me know. As of now, there's still no way for a 2015 3LT owner to get car play WITHOUT losing their PDR function...
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM
wlittle49
Racer

Well I have the HMI module installed without much cussing. However, there are no instructions to be found on where to locate the XM radio module on a 2014 C7. Anybody have any clue where the sucker is?
Old 12-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

You really don't want to know.

It's in the passenger footwell. Peel back the carpet. Remove the PDR bracket / footrest (you'll have the bracket even if you don't have a PDR). Remove the body control module. Then start cursing whatever GM engineer thought this was a good idea. The radio is behind the big black plastic panel that's basically impossible to remove.

The only way I got mine out was to feel behind that panel and remove all the connectors. Then I was able to get the panel loose, bend it out of the way, and very painfully coax the receiver unit out from behind it. My hands were cut up for days after that.

I got the connectors hooked back up solely by feel.

You might want to pull the connectors out first, hook up the new radio before removing the old one, and then reconnect power and test everything. Once you're sure everything works, then start the battle to swap the receiver units.
The following users liked this post:
wlittle49 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM
wlittle49
Racer

Well, its a done deal. The HMI module was slightly aggravating and the radio ACM module which is under the passenger kick plate and behind another plate is plain aggravating, but both were done in about 2 hours total time. I am almost 70 years old and work clicking a mouse for a living in a real job, so if I can do it you probably can also. The Apple Car play is worth it alone and I will be cancelling Onstar and saving that $35 PM.

If you do not know the operating end of a screw stick, then you may want to have the dealer do it and I am sure they will for several hundred dollars. This old coot is happy with it and recommends the Infotainment people who will give you a 10% cut.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:01 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Then start cursing whatever GM engineer thought this was a good idea.
Well the radio is not exactly an item you change all the time (or ever ideally) so can't really blame them for tucking it away. I had to switch out my SiriusXM antenna and found the location and access to the module fairly easy. The hardest part are the angles required by your body due to the passenger seat location.

You want to yell at an engineer? Find the idiot that located the fill plug for the rear diff... he done screwed up!

Quick Reply: Nav/Infotainment upgrade for 2014's