Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield stress crack (warrantied)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM
flibynyte
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody have the SB number on the mounting points for future reference. I can't find it under my VIN or on the web.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,448 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Interesting, I have that too, not a crack yet and it's been there since day one, perhaps I will get it checked out.
Yes. Get it checked out. It is a safety issue.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:32 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
Interesting, I have that too, not a crack yet and it's been there since day one, perhaps I will get it checked out.
I had window replaced several months ago. The Service rep from GM said there were two possibilities why it happens. Welding slag that didn't get cleared from the placement channel, or the locator tabs were out of alignment when the window was placed in on the assembly line. Here is a picture of mine.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Went to a vette show in Sacramento a couple weeks ago and saw 2 other C7's with the same stress crack as mine (pic below). Took it to the local dealer who said they did not know it was an issue with C7s. The GM rep they talked to also said he had not heard of the issue with C7s, but did authorize the replacement under warranty.

The following users liked this post:
chasboland (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow1980
Went to a vette show in Sacramento a couple weeks ago and saw 2 other C7's with the same stress crack as mine (pic below). Took it to the local dealer who said they did not know it was an issue with C7s. The GM rep they talked to also said he had not heard of the issue with C7s, but did authorize the replacement under warranty.

That's virtually identical to what mine did.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 PM
motorman1857
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked windshield

Originally Posted by flibynyte
First OEM replacement is going in today. This is the first one they have done. I just called to check up on it--and they said, "there was alot more to it than they thought." And, "we had to had GM fax us instructions on removing the rear view mirror." Then they told me I would have to check with GM to see if there is any calibration needs for the HUD and PDR. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks in advance.
I had 3 cracked windshields, all on the inside on the top of the drivers side. The dealer, Castriota Chevy in Hudson Fl. refused to cover any replacement. I even wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership and received no reply. Then I started having the now famous A8 transmission problems. Leaving the car at the dealer to be covered in bird chitt for 6 weeks was not an option for me. So I traded my 3500 mile Corvette for a Porsche where the dealer treats me like I bought an expensive car rather than a buy here pay here 2K special.
AdrenalineJunkiee (11-17-2020)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 PM
Shark15vette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had the identical crack. I tried going to 2 different dealers in Florida and both would not even consider it warranty. They brushed me off right away when I said windshield crack. They both directed me to call my insurance since it's covered with no deductibles in Florida. Had to pay extra to get OEM glass though since my insurance only covers aftermarket. Chevy dealers down here are as bad as they get when it comes to Corvette's. I have had 5 corvettes in the last 20 years and every time I have to go to a dealer for warranty it's such a nightmare.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shark15vette
I also had the identical crack. I tried going to 2 different dealers in Florida and both would not even consider it warranty. They brushed me off right away when I said windshield crack. They both directed me to call my insurance since it's covered with no deductibles in Florida. Had to pay extra to get OEM glass though since my insurance only covers aftermarket. Chevy dealers down here are as bad as they get when it comes to Corvette's. I have had 5 corvettes in the last 20 years and every time I have to go to a dealer for warranty it's such a nightmare.
Yes. I have heard about the Chevy dealers being the Chits down there. I had my stressed crack windshield fixed by my dealer under warranty. Went I went in for it and the service manager sat in the car and ran his finger nail over the crack and stated, "that's from the inside. Warranty for you mister." But in ordering the new windshield it took the 3rd one because the first two were broke on arrival. But the reason for these stress cracks mostly is that it had to do with the locator tabs that locate the windshield when it is installed on the assembly line. Recommendation from GM was to cut off the tabs when installing by hand. It has nothing to do with temps, speed or loads of any kind.
If the tabs are not cut off at time of the new installation, there is a good chance it could happen again. Welding slag was another possible reason for the crack, but does not occur often.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Add me to the list. At least I found this post showing it's a known issue!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 AM
motorman1857
Cruising

That's exactly what mine looked like. Yet the service manager at Castriota Chev still gave me the bums rush. When I advised this was the 2nd crack, from the inside he advised he'd contact a GM service rep to inspect the crack. Two weeks later he called and said the rep doesn't want to inspect the car and it's my problem. I will NEVER buy another GM product.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by motorman1857
That's exactly what mine looked like. Yet the service manager at Castriota Chev still gave me the bums rush. When I advised this was the 2nd crack, from the inside he advised he'd contact a GM service rep to inspect the crack. Two weeks later he called and said the rep doesn't want to inspect the car and it's my problem. I will NEVER buy another GM product.
I copied text and provided links to my local dealer (via email and printed copy) that clearly shows it is a known issue with C7s. The GM rep they called claimed that there was no known issue, but they would replace it anyway.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I just discovered this crack on the inside of my windshield yesterday. I was going to my dealer anyway for an oil change. My Service Advisor had the Department Manager look at it and he immediately said it is a warranty item. He then said the Regional Director said the cracks in this area are likely caused by grabbing the A pillar upon leaving the car. I said I have never used that method to get out of the car. They were going to order one. My car is a 2015 Stingray, Z51, 7M.

Last edited by Blue Demon; 08-29-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
sbushwhacker
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My windshield has cracked on my 14 coupe with 9800 m it is cracked at the top on the drivers side pillar. First called GM customer care and was told it was not a known problem, got a claim case number and told to go to dealer, out of 3yr warranty. Dealer in Cicero NY doubted it was a defect, never seen before and sent me on my way. Went to second dealer in Central Square NY, Here the spent time looking at the car and checking for bulletins and found none, was told to go through insurance after asking for Gm rep to review. Looking for OEM replacement and a quality job????
Old 09-04-2017, 11:17 AM
motorman1857
Cruising

Originally Posted by sbushwhacker
My windshield has cracked on my 14 coupe with 9800 m it is cracked at the top on the drivers side pillar. First called GM customer care and was told it was not a known problem, got a claim case number and told to go to dealer, out of 3yr warranty. Dealer in Cicero NY doubted it was a defect, never seen before and sent me on my way. Went to second dealer in Central Square NY, Here the spent time looking at the car and checking for bulletins and found none, was told to go through insurance after asking for Gm rep to review. Looking for OEM replacement and a quality job????
Well, what do you expect when you buy one of those cheap Chinese econo boxes....wait..no, you bought the top of the line world class sports car from the biggest auto manufacturer in the world. So yea, you should not be treated like you bought a cheap piece of chitt. But that's the way Chevy treats it's customers.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker
I just had mine crack last Sunday. Mine is a 2014 Convertible with 8300 miles and HUD. Dealer told me it was not a GM problem. $1100 cost to fix from Safelite with OEM glass.

Seems to me like a GM issue

you need to take it to another dealer. It's under warranty . Don't let them get away with it. Mine did and my dealer fixed it with no question.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The dealer replaced mine yesterday, no problems at all as far as I know. Warranty covered it all, about $900.

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I just discovered this crack on the inside of my windshield yesterday. I was going to my dealer anyway for an oil change. My Service Advisor had the Department Manager look at it and he immediately said it is a warranty item. He then said the Regional Director said the cracks in this area are likely caused by grabbing the A pillar upon leaving the car. I said I have never used that method to get out of the car. They were going to order one. My car is a 2015 Stingray, Z51, 7M.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 AM
sbushwhacker
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was encouraged when I talked to the body shop manager at the third dealer, I explained my situation and was told that it should be covered since the mile were only 9800. When I brought it in he ran the vin. and told me it it was out of the warranty period. He then explained that GM has a program of participation used to cover out of warranty cars based on miles and age of car. basically a calculator for dealers. Bottom line they covered $800 and I must pay $100. My insurance would cover the glass but this is GM's problem and they must PAY.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield stress crack (warrantied)

Old 09-27-2017, 09:40 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sbushwhacker
I was encouraged when I talked to the body shop manager at the third dealer, I explained my situation and was told that it should be covered since the mile were only 9800. When I brought it in he ran the vin. and told me it it was out of the warranty period. He then explained that GM has a program of participation used to cover out of warranty cars based on miles and age of car. basically a calculator for dealers. Bottom line they covered $800 and I must pay $100. My insurance would cover the glass but this is GM's problem and they must PAY.
They SHOULD cover it. My car has over 30k on it....mine was covered. It’s a “known” problem.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

I just noticed a 4 inch crack on the inside of my windshield, located at the top of the driver's side. I will be calling the dealer to see if they will cover it under waranty.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:55 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
I just noticed a 4 inch crack on the inside of my windshield, located at the top of the driver's side. I will be calling the dealer to see if they will cover it under waranty.
I wouldn’t “ask”. I’d tell them what you found, you’ve seen this thread saying GM is aware of it and it should be covered. Don’t give them the opportunity to say no.
Red C8 of Jax (09-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Windshield stress crack (warrantied)