Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has not installed a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

For anybody interested, my vehicle was delivered and the front fascia was damaged. I had them replace it with a new one at the dealer, fresh paint, new emblem. They billed the shipping company around $1100.

Not sure how much a film or coating costs, nor how long it lasts, but it seems to me a new front fascia is maybe around the same price?

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-13-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
For anybody interested, my vehicle was delivered and the front fascia was damaged. I had them replace it with a new one at the dealer, fresh paint, new emblem. They billed the shipping company around $1100.

Not sure how much a film or coating costs, nor how long it lasts, but it seems to me a new front fascia is maybe around the same price?
Thanks, Great info!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:23 PM
bluevette67
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Have not. Use the novistretch for long highway trips. Had the car new since Jan 2015 and still looks great. 2 very small marks but barely noticeable.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 PM
jasonsbiz74
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

i just added Xpel Clear shield to the front clip, fenders, hood, door sills and mirrors. i have a bunch of friends that have sports cars and they all do the shields. The installer did a great job.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet

Sure, the cost of one repaint probably equals the cost of 1 film install. The problem is, you could easily start picking up rock chips again on your trip home from the paint shop.

A good quality film like XPEL Ultimate is warrantied for 10 years, and will prevent the vast majority of impact damage from small projectiles. If you don't mind living w/ the sand-blasted front-end look, don't bother, but your 2nd repaint will have you underwater, not to mention concerns about proper paint matching, etc.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-15-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 AM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint Protection Film (aka Clear Bra) is very effective at protecting the paint from rick chips, road debris, bugs, etc. As to have it done or not, I would say that it depends how many miles driven, the type of driving, and location where you drive.

Both my C6 and recent Porsche drove the same annual distance and routes.

Had it on the former C6 and it was absolutely worth it. At 64k miles and 4 years, the protected areas still looked like new. You couldn't even see the clear paint protection film.

Didn't have it on the Porsche and after 3 years and almost 47k miles - rock chips on the front. Not to the point that would require a paint job, but certainly noticeable.

My new C7 GS went from dealership delivery directly to paint protection and tint. The installer is one of the best in the biz down here in South Florida (he did the Gold Lamborghini Aventador that was featured in magazines a couple years ago). This is my installer: http://www.autosupershield.com

Protected with Suntek (self healing, exceptionally clear, 7 year warranty). Areas done: the full front bumper and grill, 20 inches on hood, head lights, side mirrors, full ground effects, behind each wheel, door sills, and where you put your hand to open the doors. Also the windows were tinted with ceramic tint 35% sides / 20% rear, lifetime warranty. Total Cost: $1450.00 Can't even tell when looking at it that car has clear paint protection on it.

Decisions.. Decisions...

BTW... Sorry guys, but that Novistretch bra thingy just looks terrible. Circa 1980s. Never on my Vette. LOL

Last edited by DropTopGal; 08-15-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has not installed a clear bra?