C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Les Stanford Chevy ??? OMG, not very nice..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM
chase_drive
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Les Stanford Chevy ??? OMG, not very nice..

Called them on Saturday about there Yellow Z51 Demo Convertible they have on the forum.

Spoke with a guy named Keven.. Told him I have bought two Z06s from the dealership a while ago. I also explained there was a guy at my work looking for a Convertible Z51, and he was interested. He questioned me about three times on why I was calling and not my friend.

They are asking 59,920 and offered him 58,000 and pay today. He laughed and told me they are losing a ton of money on the car and then hung up before I could talk?????

OK, the car has been for sale now for 2 weeks.. If that is such a smoking deal, why is it for sale.. It already is about 14 months into the warranty..

Good luck, and thanks for laughing at a forum member that has bought two vetted from you...

Last edited by chase_drive; 04-12-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Popular Reply

04-12-2016, 08:42 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

Successful sales guy here with an opinion also.

I don't care if you're calling for a friend or yourself. You will possibly be my connection to a sale - so - you get 100% of my attention while I am with you.

Eventually tire kickers buy. I want to be your sales guy when you do.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:34 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by chase_drive
I also explained there was a guy at my work looking for a Convertible Z51, and he was interested. He questioned me about three times on why I was calling and not my friend.
OK. Why were you calling them and not your friend?
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I've found that the way a person comes across when speaking with a salesperson can mean the difference between a respectful conversation and having the sales person hang up. From personal experience, if I purchased two cars previously from a dealership and had a good experience, I would call and ask for the sales person that I previously dealt with. If that sales person was no longer employed by the dealership, I would then ask for the sales person that advertised the car on the forum and ask them if they would accept an offer lower than the advertised $20,000 discount off list price. I'm sure there is more to this story than a sales person being rude.

Being in sales myself, for every serious buyer, there are 10 more tire kickers that like to waste time and I can usually tell within 10 seconds what I am dealing with based on the vocabulary and the tone of the person calling.

Last edited by direct007; 04-12-2016 at 04:42 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by direct007:
40flier (04-12-2016), Jus Cruisin (04-12-2016), lottavettes (04-13-2016), raff (04-13-2016), VistaVette (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:41 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

I would email the Sales Manager and Dealer Owner. We're you buying the car or is your friend ? or BOTH? each looking for one?
Do you have a salesman there that you dealt with... if they are still there, you should contact him/her.
This is not how business should be conducted... you offered 1000.00 less than asking.... i could see them hanging up on you if you offered like 20K less than asking...
Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Hmmm. Rather rude unless there's another side to the story. My guess is that you calling for your friend means "tire kicker" to them. They wanna work over the guy that's writing the check. Time to shop elsewhere. Lots of C7s out there.

Originally Posted by direct007

...Being in sales myself, for every serious buyer, there are 10 more tire kickers that like to waste time and I can usually tell within 10 seconds what I am dealing with based on the vocabulary and the tone of the person calling.
I was writing my reply at the same time I think, but ditto to your comments. I'm a computer guy so not in sales, and I rarely hang up on anyone, but I can tell if a person is gonna be difficult with the first 15 or so seconds of conversation.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-13-2016 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Has to be more to the story.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:49 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Is Dennis no longer there?
Why are you calling and not your friend?
More importantly... Why are you making an offer and not your friend?
Lastly, since it's his money and not yours... Why do you expect to be taken seriously if you're not the actual buyer?

Just reading your first post makes me question the credibility of the entire situation honestly.

At minimum - you're complaining about a dealer not taking a guy who isn't buying anything seriously while he went about it all wrong in the first place.

Last edited by RideZX6R; 04-12-2016 at 05:53 PM.
lottavettes (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
OK. Why were you calling them and not your friend?

Right. Whether you intended it or not, the "I'm only buying/selling it for a friend" is usually a tip off to a curbstoner, someone who is dealing cars in a more or less shady way, usually on behalf of some third party.

If you're interested in the car you should identify yourself as the potential buyer (which lets the salesman run your credit to see if you actually can afford the vehicle) and make your offer. If you're offering a thousand or two off the asking price, either you'll get a deal or not. No agreement, no deal, no hard feelings. Just be up front and direct.

But don't beat around the bush.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Has to be more to the story.

I don't think so. I learned my lesson there a long time ago but when the C7 came out I bit my tongue and decided to call them again since I am local.

Sales guy was rude, disinterested, you name the adjective that applies to bad sales people, he was it. I said I wanted to buy a Stingray when I called and they put me through to , in their words, one of the Corvette sales people.

I was very reasonable on the phone, asked about allocation, deposit, delivery time, etc. No talk of haggling, discount, etc. This was very early on so nobody was doing discounts.

I bought one the next morning out of state 300 miles away rather than driving 15 miles to Dearborn.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

All I can say is that I bought my 09 C6 from them at a great price and the whole experience was excellent. When I got there from Phila they picked me up at the airport and they had found a $300 mistake on the sales tax calculation that they credited to my Visa card and two months later received a $250 car cover as a gift.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I had a similar experience w/same dealership, except I was inquiring about a Z06 for MYSELF. They wouldn't consider a discount that they posted on their site. I voiced my opinion and simply move on to another, better, dealership and purchased my Z06. No big deal.

Just a comment... and I'm certainly not looking for advice
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I don't think so. I learned my lesson there a long time ago but when the C7 came out I bit my tongue and decided to call them again since I am local.

Sales guy was rude, disinterested, you name the adjective that applies to bad sales people, he was it. I said I wanted to buy a Stingray when I called and they put me through to , in their words, one of the Corvette sales people.

I was very reasonable on the phone, asked about allocation, deposit, delivery time, etc. No talk of haggling, discount, etc. This was very early on so nobody was doing discounts.

I bought one the next morning out of state 300 miles away rather than driving 15 miles to Dearborn.
I grew up right in your area (Maple between Halsted/Haggerty) and it amazes me that with so many dealers in that area and within a short out of state drive how some of dealers treat you.

Last edited by VistaVette; 04-12-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:32 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by VistaVette
I grew up right in your area (Maple between Halsted/Haggerty) and it amazes me that with so many dealers in that area and within a short out of state drive how some of dealers treat you.

Mile north of there, Green Lake and Pontiac trail.

For a few more weeks at least, then off to Rochester Hills.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry but people whine too much today.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Mile north of there, Green Lake and Pontiac trail.

For a few more weeks at least, then off to Rochester Hills.
I miss a lot about Michigan but I couldn't deal with the weather any longer -I packed up and moved West in the fall of '92.

I remember in my early 20's ('89/'90) I had a '68 Convertible and I would walk the line of new Corvette's over at Jack Cauley (?) on Orchard Lake Rd.

Last edited by VistaVette; 04-12-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Sorry but people whine too much today.
Said the pot to the kettle. Epic!

You realize that's exactly what you're doing, right? You're whining about people whining.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by STStingray
Said the pot to the kettle. Epic! You realize that's exactly what you're doing, right? You're whining about people whining.
Wow, that's just so DEEP! What's the real issue here anyway? OP shows up angry that a dealer blew him off when he inquired about a car for a friend, trying to negotiate a better deal without any sense of having authorization to do so. If I had been the salesperson in question I'd have refused to play as well, though I might have said, "Well, then have your friend call me and we'll talk."

I have no problem with friends helping friends buy cars. Some people REALLY donlt like to negotiate. There are even "Buyer's Agents" who hire themselves out to do that sort of thing. But it's an up-front process so everyone knows exactly where everyone else stands. I've done it myself, making my mother-in-law very nervous in the process. She just would have paid MSRP and been done with it.

So in this thread we have several people who have suggested OP screwed up and is over-reacting, and even a couple of people who also report similar disappointing sessions with the dealer. So what is to become of it? Are we going to just move on to the next dealer, or are we going to start calling each other names?

Get notified of new replies

To Les Stanford Chevy ??? OMG, not very nice..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Wow, that's just so DEEP! What's the real issue here anyway? OP shows up angry that a dealer blew him off when he inquired about a car for a friend, trying to negotiate a better deal without any sense of having authorization to do so. If I had been the salesperson in question I'd have refused to play as well, though I might have said, "Well, then have your friend call me and we'll talk."

I have no problem with friends helping friends buy cars. Some people REALLY donlt like to negotiate. There are even "Buyer's Agents" who hire themselves out to do that sort of thing. But it's an up-front process so everyone knows exactly where everyone else stands. I've done it myself, making my mother-in-law very nervous in the process. She just would have paid MSRP and been done with it.

So in this thread we have several people who have suggested OP screwed up and is over-reacting, and even a couple of people who also report similar disappointing sessions with the dealer. So what is to become of it? Are we going to just move on to the next dealer, or are we going to start calling each other names?
Deep? Not really... a pretty simple spin of an idiom.

I was commenting on my own experience with the same dealer- post #12. I really don't care about the OP's experience and I certainly wasn't seeking your 2 cents, but thanks anyway.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Successful sales guy here with an opinion also.

I don't care if you're calling for a friend or yourself. You will possibly be my connection to a sale - so - you get 100% of my attention while I am with you.

Eventually tire kickers buy. I want to be your sales guy when you do.
The following 6 users liked this post by DBLXX:
bbdmac (04-13-2016), Crossed Flags Fan (04-13-2016), drowsword (04-13-2016), kenownr (04-13-2016), Mr. Stingray (04-13-2016), OLD_GOAT (04-12-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Was there a point to any of that or are you now inciting name calling?
sTz (04-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Les Stanford Chevy ??? OMG, not very nice..