Sponsored by:

Is the Z51 package a waste for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,021 Likes on 527 Posts
Tech Contributor

3 years later and we're back to the same tired old rhetoric. If you dont buy a Z51 :
You cant afford the option
You dont really have a C7
Only a real man buys a z51

#loadofcrap......some of us dont want the dusty brakes, a complicated rear end, a goofy cryptic oil check or having to buy MAG ride to get a decent interstate comfort ride.

But i supect those that buy a z51 badge for their car will never understand that.

Last edited by Glen e; 04-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Glen e:
Amicon (04-09-2016), Corgidog1 (04-07-2016), dvilin (04-06-2016), Jeffer (04-06-2016), Rebel Yell (04-06-2016), Scoobydoobydoo (04-06-2016), Timohio (04-06-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd be willing to bet if GM offered a C7 body built on a Spark chassis along with its 1.2 Liter engine, some people would buy them.

If you want your C7 to be all it can be, buy the Z51 package, or a Z06/Z07.
If brake dust bugs you, install Carbotech pads. No biggie.
Checking the oil on a dry sump engine isn't complicated, just different. It's just a matter of reading the manual.
If you want a smoother ride than a Corvette provides, hell do it right and buy a Caddy or something similar.

Even if you never track your C7, the first time you get forced to make an emergency high speed maneuver to miss a deer or other some obstacle in the road you'll appreciate the Z51 package. Plus the Z51 package is nice to have in the twisties.

Last edited by Rave; 04-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rave:
Apocolips (04-06-2016), JerryU (04-06-2016), RFBHD (04-06-2016), speedlink (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Z51

It's your money & your decision - Purchase what you want & enjoy it. Having said that I picked up a 2016 Z51 with magnetic ride last week. Normally drive in sport mode & very happy with handling & ride. In summary "Do what you want" & be happy living with it.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,014 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I too was definitely going to get the Z51 package until I decided that the reality is that I will not be tracking the car AND could get some of the features on a Base Car.....

I ended up special ordering a 2LT, BASE, MAG Ride, NPP, A8, and a bunch of other items etc....

With the MAG RIDE you get the larger ( 19" and 20" ) wheels and tires, as well as the Z51 spoiler.

Every time I look at the wheels on our car, I'm glad I didn't get the Z51 as I don't see BRAKE DUST like I did on our previous 427, and several Grand Sports.... The brakes feel awesome, but without the annoying huge amount of dust to deal with constantly.

When priced up, including the options I added such as Mag Ride, NPP as compared to a Z51 is was about $2k less. The icing on the cake was when I talked with USAA Ins as well as Progressive and found the Z51 was significantly (nearly 50%) higher..... I made sure to say it was NOT a Z06, but the Z51 as compared to the base car.

No regrets on my decision..... in fact I'm thrilled I used a reality check to make the right decision...... for us.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
How many miles can you expect out of the tires with the Z51?
Z51 tires will last equally long if you drive it the same as a non- Z51.
Fronts wear out first from what others say.

I have a Z51 A8 Coupe with Mag Ride. It rides fine, except if you hit a sharp ridge, and then the tires (run flats) seem very firm. I wanted wider tires so picked up a set of wider non run-flats. There is definitely a difference. With them on and in the Mag Ride softest setting my Z51 rides very similar to the FE2 suspensions in my 2 G8 Gt's.

My son has a 15' base M7 Vette Conv with the 19/20 tire package and Z51 rear spoiler. Very hard to tell the difference visually between his Vert and a similar Z51. Ride isn't much difference when mine is in softest setting, but BIG difference when mine is in Track which is much more stiff.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 AM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

ok, here's my input. I've had a C6 and now C7, both without Z51. I've expressed many times the Z51 is no big deal to most that don't track, especially if you add the sway bars later on...

My father in law and i ordered our C7's the same time and picked up on the same day xmas of 2014) His is Z51, mine not. I added the Z51 sway bars a long time ago. I drove his car for the first time on easter and i have to say, i was very, very impressed with how soft and smoother his ride was than mine. Is it really a big deal? Prob not, but i think i should have gotten the Z51 and manual instead of the ZF1 and auto. I think it would have been close to the same price for a 2015...

Bottom line, go drive both and decide for yourself. If you don't get it, its still a vette, but you may like it slightly better if you do.

PS His car has about 13k miles and mine only 3500 (small kids so i don't drive as much as i like to) so maybe his is just broken in more??? Doubt it.

Last edited by SharkGrayStingray; 04-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is the deal IMO is the package a waste of money if you dont track? Heck no.

Do you plan on getting the ZF1 package on the base (exhaust, wheels, etc)? Are you going to pay for painted calipers?
If yes then look at the cost difference and you will see its a waste of money to NOT GET THE Z51 package.

Even not tracking the car you will benefit from the sway bars, eLSD, and gearing.

I'm glad I got the Z51 package, no regrets here.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I have a Z51 but I've had HD suspension packages on all my 4 Vette's (and many other vehicles.) I don't track but use the higher "g" capability from time to time.

That said, first I'm assuming it has mag shocks, if not the ride will be significantly stiffer than the base car. Mine does not (not the money, I did not want or need it with our roads) and it's firm. In fact with mag shocks, only when set at Touring (Eco or Weather) will the ride be softer than mine BUT it will not be as soft as the base car's softer springs, smaller front sway bar and no rear sway bar.

Second, be prepared to learn how to check the oil level in a dry sump. Not as easy as in a wet sump. Also from many posted experiences, suggest if taking advantage of the Free oil changes you have the dealer leave it fill with 9 quarts and give you a quart. As soon as you get it home with the oil still hot, check the level after 5 but before 10 minutes (per the Owner's Manual) and fill to half way between min and max on the dip stick.

Third, be prepared for more "cold weather wheel chatter," as GM calls it, when making slow speed, full lock turns as when pulling out of a parking slot. In fact after my first experience (this has been my 3rd winter) when having to make sharp slow speed turns I employ "K" turns. It happens with the base car to some extent but appears to be worse with the lower slip angles of the 19 inch lower profile tires versus the base car 18 inch front tires. This is an issue as temps reach 45F and lower, which you'll often see in the morning in PA. It is so bad in cold winter mornings in SC at full lock when backing out of my garage if I use full lock it feels like the front end is falling apart! Other have reported the same! No big deal as I mentioned, just be prepared to turn the wheel less and make "K" turns.

These are not big issues for folks who want the HD options, like myself, but have generated forum complaints by some who got it because of super deal price (or since it was the only way to get mag shocks.)
If looking for the wheels and spoiler only, those ordering should get that option!
FWIW
Know what you are buying with the Z51 package. I'm one who was turned off by the dry sump oil level check and change procedures. Also, I'm not going to track the car so when I ordered my Vette I opted out on the Z51. Another thing about Z51 is much more brake dust due to the larger brakes and the pad compounds used. The decision is yours, obviously. Buying off the lot is sometimes a compromise, consider ordering exactly what you want. After all, you're spending a lot of money.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

To the OP.

I have a base C7 that I have been driving for the last year. I live in NJ and we have pretty decent roads here. I love the way the car rides and handles overall.

Recently I had the pleasure of driving a 2016 Z51 2LT for quite a while on and off the highway.

Whereas the car is nice, it absolutely does not ride as well as the base Stingray as far as comfort. With the Z51 I could feel that the ride was stiffer almost to the point of being annoying. It wasn't my car so I didn't rip it but It did feel tighter on the turns but still very stiff, I could feel every bump.

Right now you can get all or most of the cosmetic attachments from the Z51 for the base Stingray also but that may wind up costing you more money in the long run without the packages.

Hard decision, good luck with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdarc1:
Jeffer (04-06-2016), Kwagnerhvac (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 AM
scottjays
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mowe
2 words. Resale value.

Even if you don't track it ... The car has better looks, stops better , and will be easier to sell later
I also debated this. I will never track the car...I added the ZF1 pack so it has the bigger wheels, spoiler, etc. I plan on keeping car for a while as a garage queen so resale is not imp for me...If $$ is not a concern the Z51 is a great package but to save $$ consider just doing the ZF1. Oh and I swapped the OEM brake pads for dustless carbotech pads...awesome
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
ok, here's my input. I've had a C6 and now C7, both without Z51. I've expressed many times the Z51 is no big deal to most that don't track, especially if you add the sway bars later on...

My father in law and i ordered our C7's the same time and picked up on the same day xmas of 2014) His is Z51, mine not. I added the Z51 sway bars a long time ago. I drove his car for the first time on easter and i have to say, i was very, very impressed with how soft and smoother his ride was than mine. Is it really a big deal? Prob not, but i think i should have gotten the Z51 and manual instead of the ZF1 and auto. I think it would have been close to the same price for a 2015...

Bottom line, go drive both and decide for yourself. If you don't get it, its still a vette, but you may like it slightly better if you do.

PS His car has about 13k miles and mine only 3500 (small kids so i don't drive as much as i like to) so maybe his is just broken in more??? Doubt it.
Maybe yours is stiffer because you added the suspension kit to the base. It has been noted on the forums that the Z51 has a stiffer ride overall. That has been my personal experience also.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I don't drive my base near its limits so the extra handling would not be utilized for me, and I don't need to have the best if I can't use it. I happen to like the looks of the base spoiler better than the full spoiler as it accentuates the angles in the back as opposed to a straight line that the full spoiler presents. I don't need extra brake dust not the less protection against pot holes that the larger wheels present. I got the NPP as a stand alone option and used the money I saved to get the 3LT package. The only thing I would have liked to get with the Z51 package is the lower gears-not sure how much of a difference in response one gets with this but any little bit helps. Just not enough benefits for me to spring for the extra dough.
A sure cure for wanting a little more responsiveness is the Vitesse Throttle Controller. It will transform the feeling of your car. I can't tell you enough what a worthwhile item this is. I've had it about 5 weeks now and would never want to have to go without it again. Your car will feel like it lost 100 pounds and gained 100 hp. It installs in about 5 minutes, is driver selectable, and totally reliable. I was so impressed I looked for someone that made a similar device for a Mercedes S500 Coupe, found it thanks to a Mercedes forum, ordered and installed it, and it transformed that car as well. I am older than dirt but still appreciate a responsive car. If this sounds too good to be true, don't worry it isn't. I have no interest in the company that makes or distributes it.
Corgidog1 (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:36 AM
DucMan 888
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you decide at some point to track it, the car is not going to fall apart without the Z51 package. The perception that the base car is somehow inadequate without the Z51 I feel is absurd. The increased maintenance cost, more so than the initial cost, along with my track driving being closer to Jan Brady than Jan Magnussen made this decision less difficult for me.
From here on when someone asks me why I decided to own a non Z51 with the A6 I just smile, I'll never convince anybody.

nmvettec7 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:42 AM
birdsong
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I went with a base with the 2LT package and the performance exhaust, with the spoiler after driving both the base and the Z51. Since I have no intention of ever tracking the car. I felt as though the base had a better ride than the Z51 for my tastes. The base and the Z51 with the mag ride felt about the same but the extra cash for both options I wanted in my pocket to pay for aftermarket extras that I would enjoy more.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

For me, choosing the Z51 had nothing to do with wanting superiority over the base car, and it had little to do with ultimate performance (I don't track). It had to do with feel. I mainly wanted the Z51's shorter gearing, e-diff and firm/well-dampened suspension. Can the base car take a corner at high speed and accelerate out? Absolutely, but it feels markedly different than a mag-ride Z51 while doing it. The Z51 is sharper and more focused, especially in track mode. The e-diff makes a big difference when powering out of the corner; the rear just hooks up and the car accelerates out like a rocket. Even at 6/10 on a favorite back road, the Z51 comes alive. That's the difference.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:08 PM
maugust24
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I opted for the 3LT Z51. I hightly doubt I will ever have it on a track but I liked all the features the Z brought. Its really up to you. If you can can afford the Z I would go for it. But if you want to save some cash in the pocket you cant go wrong with the base model. Lets face it, what ever you choose you are getting one bad *** car. You cant go wrong either way.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

The Z51 with just having the slotted rotors alone is worth the upgrade!

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Z51 package a waste for me?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

2 words. Resale value.

Even if you don't track it ... The car has better looks, stops better , and will be easier to sell later
Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Bought my 2015 C7 as the base model 1LT with ZF1 package. The performance is great, no need for the slotted rotors and the C7 has everything anybody would want. Looks impressive and aggressive and saved thousands of dollars on the base model vs Z51 package.

This C7 is stunning without the Z51 package and after racing high-speed high-performance formula race cars competitively this Corvette C7 will NEVER see any track time.
Went through the same decision, and decided against the Z51. If you're planning on keeping the car for awhile, don't worry about resale values. And, if you want better looking wheels, the ones you see on Richards car and this car are right at 1000 bucks. That's 1000 less than the GM chrome wheels. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:40 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

2 words. Resale value.

There is no proof that car with Z51 has better resale value, meaning it retains a higher % of its initial MSRP.
Sure it will sell for more than an identical non Z51 car but it cost more to purchase in the first place.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-06-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the Z51 package a waste for me?