Sponsored by:

C7 vs AMG-GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 PM
PJS51
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
Because many people would rather have a ferrari sitting on their driveway over a chevy corvette.

The corvette Z06 already does pretty much what any Lamborghini or ferrari will do on the track. Its nothing new

A ferrari is a dream car for me, not a corvette that most people in the upper middle class can afford. I already have one in my 20s.
Even the super rich don't like to be humiliated in the super cars. 800-900 HP with a Bently class interior and you might be surprised how fast opinions change. Guess they could charge $350,000 and all of a sudden it becomes a lot of peoples dream car plus Ferrari seems to have developed a taste for making their cars uglier with each new generation. I could easily afford a Ferrari. The question is why would I.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:49 PM
PJS51
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegrr
So I have a 2015 convertible C7 and a 2008 SL550. The SL is a smooth car, not as low and very capable. While not anywhere near as exciting as the Vette, it is a superior touring car. The new C7 does have many more amenities and is another class of performance.

So it depends what you're looking for. if you go on a long drives, take the merc. It is way quieter, has more room, has the hard top convertible and better visibility. For sheer fun and excitement and stand out looks, I like the Vette.

Mike
Agree with everything you say. Problem is the before the GTS, the last MB I bought new was a 2003 SL55. Nothing but problem after problem. The car was not ready for release. Was talking to several dealers and they all say the SL is just not selling any more. Probably one reason for the SL450 but even with several restyles, a new SL still looks basically just like it did in 2003. Time for an update.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS51
Even the super rich don't like to be humiliated in the super cars. 800-900 HP with a Bently class interior and you might be surprised how fast opinions change. Guess they could charge $350,000 and all of a sudden it becomes a lot of peoples dream car plus Ferrari seems to have developed a taste for making their cars uglier with each new generation. I could easily afford a Ferrari. The question is why would I.
I guess they would rather a 300-400k exotic be faster than a 100k-150k corvette.

But there is a point where performance is going to be at such a crazy point that most performance cars are going to just be stupid fast it.

what people will want is brand image, and build quality. I dont care how fast or flashy a corvette is. They are common cars, and the base price starts at 55k. A lot of people with real money want one word "exclusivity", price tag and production numbers is the only real way to get that.

I would rather drive a 300k ferrari that puts out the SAME performance numbers as a Z06 corvette. But i am not at the point where i am willing to spend 200k extra on a ferrari over a corvette.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 03-28-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:49 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS51

Standard run flats, not a pump and a can of flat fixer
true for better performance and handling, many have changed Vette's runflat for non-runflats for just this reason

touch screen controls which are much easier to use (Mercedes gives you a mouse & turn wheel and says touch screens are to distracting which is actually backwards) plus the GTS uses a lot of black & white in their displays
It has a touch pad situated above the wheel. I guess I'm used to MB.

the C-7 auto locks/unlocks, not the GTS. Pandora - not on GTS
If these features are that important GTS is not your car

heads up display-not on the GTS
This would be nice to have but not a deal breaker for me.

programable exhaust - not on the GTS
There is a switch(button), like mild to wild switch, also drive mode setting also opens exhaust.

race style no cap gas fill - not on the GTS,remote start-not on the GTS
Again if these are such important feature for you, you are looking at wrong car

Your fob battery dead, just use the key to open the hatch & pull the cord, insert the fob and go. With the GTS you insert the key in the back of the door handle, pull out the door handle then grab the back part with the key inserted and pull it off. The chrome plated plastic cover comes off to reveal a key socket to open the door.
Just MB's method to deal with dead FOB battery

There is another socket in the car to insert the key fob since Keyless Go is still part of a $2000+ package on some Mercedes, the fob acts a key. You insert it into the socket in the glove box to start.
Keyless start is standard on GTS, not an option. I believe socket that you speak of is when battery is dead in FOB.

The GTS interior is very nice but the console is big enough to saddle a pony and the buttons seem randomly placed. the C-7 rides better in Sport than the GTS in Comfort.
Ride is definitely stiff on GTS but you're not buying a sedan.

The GTS had a malfunction after 3.5 days! Mines already in AutoTrader. Probably going to lose $10K-$20K, but keeping the far better car and the Z-06 will run circles around it on and off the track.
I haven't had any problem with my MB's, period. Just yearly maintenance on SL550 and my wife's C300
Did you really own GTS? I am starting to have doubts based upon your statements? If you did own a GTS did you drive it before hand? Looked at what features it had or didn't have? If you're plopping down 150K for a car people usually look into these things. I'm waiting for delivery of my GTS in mid to late April. Is GTS twice as nice as Vette, definitely not, but I preferred it at twice the cost of C7. Each to their own. Lastly compared to my SL550, GTS costs more and it doesn't have the massaging seat feature so I should be knocking it right?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
FYI no German cars have remote start.

Not legal in Europe.
That answers a bunch of questions always wondered why that was. If you ask me that can be retro'd just like all of the lighting ect..that they have to do
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

I don't know why but I call bs on the original poster. I prefer corvettes yet I admire the new AMG GT.

Why spend 150 grand without checking the car out fully before signing on the dotted line.

Could have saved 20 grand?

Jmo and thanks for the interesting story though...
Old 03-28-2016, 08:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,819 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I guess they would rather a 300-400k exotic be faster than a 100k-150k corvette.

But there is a point where performance is going to be at such a crazy point that most performance cars are going to just be stupid fast it.

what people will want is brand image, and build quality. I dont care how fast or flashy a corvette is. They are common cars, and the base price starts at 55k. A lot of people with real money want one word "exclusivity", price tag and production numbers is the only real way to get that.
I agree. At a certain point it gets ridiculous. And I maintain that "build-quality," always an elusive term, is getting better for common cars, probably a lot due to the finer tolerances made possible by automation. I was absolutely amazed at the interior quality of my last vehicle. Even the stitching on the leather was perfectly done. It could not get better, so what can they do? A better quality of leather? Some additional marketing to make you THINK it is better because they associate it with something else fancy (movie stars, etc.) Just look at the build quality of the interior of a C6 vs a C7. It's a vast improvement.

Of course, I'm coming from my first car, a 1948 Fleetline, so maybe I'm easily impressed. But, hey! It was still a GM!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 PM
kaufmansm
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
FYI no German cars have remote start.

Not legal in Europe.
Not true, Most 2016 Mercedes models come standard with remote start through the mbrace app. AMG models and older architecture vehicles in the lineup do not.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I don't know why but I call bs on the original poster. I prefer corvettes yet I admire the new AMG GT.

Why spend 150 grand without checking the car out fully before signing on the dotted line.

Could have saved 20 grand?

Jmo and thanks for the interesting story though...
Same reason thousands of C6 owners committed to them sight unseen.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 PM
mikegrr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded in my 2004 BMW 6 series coupe for the 2008 SL550. The sl was changing models that year (not much change actually) and I think I got a very good deal.

I pre-ordered the 6 series in 2003 just from the specs and pictures, and the car lived up to my expectations and then some. People looked at it almost the way they look at the new Vettes. I had one of the first in PA if that means anything. The interior was spartan but so sleek. The car was solid and really exotic for the time period. The stupid first generation Idrive was the only downside. Took many button pushes just to change the radio station. I loved the car but it got passed by by newer innovations.

The new C7 really changed the image of corvettes for me and is a finely tooled mean machine. I had to have one and still am impressed every time I get in it.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
I work for Mercedes- The GTS is a very purposeful model for the brand. In fact the SL400 or SL550 would be the better all around "performance" car you can use daily. The GT (non "s") will be arriving soon with less power output and I'm assuming a calmer ride.... Think non Z51 C7.

Something to add to this conversation. Coming from a guy who's owned 4 C5s and 2 C6s, my perfect garage would include a Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe and a C7 Coupe

oh and anyone else notice the similarities

AMG GT S
front engine rear trans-axle - torque tube - double wishbone all around

C7
Niterider, it's not my intention to make you envious or to boast. I just want to say that I guess I'm living your dream.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1216
Size:  891.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
NiteriderFRC (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
Niterider, it's not my intention to make you envious or to boast. I just want to say that I guess I'm living your dream.

Attachment 47967975
Did I mention Id also have a F150 work truck???? You're Livin the dream brother! 😎

Last edited by NiteriderFRC; 03-29-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
US market C Class models including AMG Sedans are assembled in Vance, Alabama. Lots of the parts are sourced here in N America.

CLA models are from Hungary, talks of eventually bring production here would depend on the models success here in the States
OK---thanks for the update Nite, a lot of people are surprised when they realize how many "import" cars are built stateside(and with many, many North Am mfg parts)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Verboten993
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Wow! Pictures Is worth 1000 words.

The MB AMG GTS engine, suspension and frame are like a work of art! The GTS looks like it hand made ( which it engines are) and the C7 looks like it stamped or cast metal. The GTS IS THE STEAL OF A DEAL.

Originally Posted by cyberay

Attachment 47967975
Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD
Have owned many Mercedes and many Corvettes. These are two different but individually great cars. Mercedes reek of over engineering, quality materials, solidness and panache. An SL I had for many years ran flawlessly, had a great GT ride but got up and went when you put your foot in it. Terrific highway cruiser. My current C7 always feels alive in my hands and eager to please my hooligan ways. New interior great improvement over past models with all the gadgets...yes more than an M-B. Great
performer that you feel connected to more than M-B and with a manual even more so. If I want to feel young again I drive my C7. If I want to feel my age I drive my M-B.
Have owned many myself and perhaps over-hyped engineering is the better term. And while their structures are fairly tight, I would not say so with the interior pieces. Many trim levels have fallen off or became loose. And unless you were in a current body S Class or some of their very most recent products then their interior was not that much better than a loaded Honda Accord and in the old C Class, SLK, ML, etc. they had much inferior and reeked of cheapness! They have gotten better with all their current models but so has everyone else. Finally, in most of the country there is no Panache in driving a Mercedes south of $100K! All that said, I still think the new AMG GTS is gorgeous and has a very fine interior.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 03-30-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Verboten993
The MB AMG GTS engine, suspension and frame are like a work of art! The GTS looks like it hand made ( which it engines are) and the C7 looks like it stamped or cast metal. The GTS IS THE STEAL OF A DEAL.
I absolutely love the AMG GTS, but dude please!! It's still way over-priced! Put a Corvette next to one and they both look like they belong at the same table!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
OP, are you over 60?

Yes, CLA is crappy but any Benz over 55K makes my C7 feel like a cheap POS. We have had 3 Mercedes and one AMG and never a problem.

When the GTS came out they told us straight up, "this car is for driving, it will not have several options that are on other Mercedes, that is not out target market."

Sounds like you made a mistake, which you admit, but it does not mean the Z06 is "better" than the GTS, especially considering your concern list. There are a LOT of cars that cost way more than the Z06 that are still outperformed by it. That's why the Corvette is a performance bargain, let's be honest, they are leather wrapped turds compared to some of the really quality (and expensive) cars out there.

And yes, I like my C7, but I also call a spade like I see 'em (or something like that).
A $55K Corvette would put any $55k Mercedes to shame in almost every category! Don't get it twisted! And I guess you don't know what a spade is! And you have had 4 Mercedes and never a problem??? You must be the luckiest guy in the world! I have had numerous and thinking about buying a AMG GTS but I know they are all over-hyped and over-priced and don't go talking sh*t about a Corvette and blindly perceiving the other car is better!

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 03-30-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 vs AMG-GTS

Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
A $55K Corvette would put any $55k Mercedes to shame in almost every category! Don't get it twisted! And I guess you don't know what a spade is! And you have had 4 Mercedes and never a problem??? You must be the luckiest guy in the world! I have had numerous and thinking about buying a AMG GTS but I know they are all over-hyped and over-priced and don't go talking sh*t about a Corvette and blindly perceiving the other car is better!
its so hard IMO to compare any benz to a corvette. The corvette is made for a completely different reason.

Most Benz you seen on the road are driven by people who just want a nice luxury car.

Then the people who buy the AMG want that luxury car to be fast.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Once you go over 100 grand...id be hard pressed not to shop the mclaren 570 ....or Porsche 911 before the beautiful new Mercedes...AMG GTS...

All interesting choices and all have pluses and minuses .....

Still the c7 z06 does offer superior performance for half the money...and an ability to use the vehicle quite Inexpensively for 100k miles,

Gas and go....and new tires when needed...

Not sure any of the ultra exotics mentioned above could ever run as carefree for 100k miles...

That does make ownership of the z06 that much sweeter...

Hard to ignore that reality...

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-30-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:17 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AHW219
Did you really own GTS? I am starting to have doubts based upon your statements? If you did own a GTS did you drive it before hand? Looked at what features it had or didn't have? If you're plopping down 150K for a car people usually look into these things. I'm waiting for delivery of my GTS in mid to late April. Is GTS twice as nice as Vette, definitely not, but I preferred it at twice the cost of C7. Each to their own. Lastly compared to my SL550, GTS costs more and it doesn't have the massaging seat feature so I should be knocking it right?
And...I would assume that many or all of the "missing features" could have been discovered by a very small amount of research in advance. If I were buying a $15K Ford Fiesta, I would still take the time to read the spec sheet, check out some reviews and make a point of asking the salesman about anything I wasn't sure of.

Just saying.....

Quick Reply: C7 vs AMG-GTS