Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about buying from CarMax

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:57 PM
PDXC7
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw this thread... so maybe no-one will even see this post, but i didn't have a very good experience at CarMax despite the by and large positive reviews here. I was looking for a C7, and it was out of state. The photos were not good and I "thought" I saw a black stripe on the hood of the Laguna Blue C7, but the salesman couldn't tell me. He called and confirmed it was a black stripe. I wanted more information--was it gloss, matte, or even the plastic applied stripe that could be removed? They refused to take any extra pictures for the car... a $47K purchase and "no, we can't take more pictures, but you can ship the car here (at my cost of $699) and then see it yourself before buying"!! Are you kidding me? there was a lot of pressure, the salesman kept emailing and calling, "When do you want to ship the car?". then, when I asked about some confusion as to whether the vehicle had NAV or not, they wouldn't go out to the car and find out or help by calling the original dealer (the original window sticker was not with the vehicle). They said I could just find the original chevy dealer on my own. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

However, WOW, the guy sure did try to sell the WARRANTY! This felt a lot like buying a stereo or TV from Circuit City. Maybe CarMax is a good place to SELL your car, but I didn't get the sense this guy was a car guy at all. He didn't know anything about cars, in fact, but sure knew about the warranty. Maybe this was unusual, maybe I got an unusually bad experience with CarMax. After hearing the comments here, I might try again if in the market for a used vehicle, but I'd have to find a salesman who understands customer service. I rate CarMax 2.5 on a 10 point scale. Very poor customer experience.

Last edited by PDXC7; 06-09-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

If if you are interested in a car at another Carmax, call them direct and ask your questions.

Originally Posted by PDXC7
Just saw this thread... so maybe no-one will even see this post, but i didn't have a very good experience at CarMax despite the by and large positive reviews here. I was looking for a C7, and it was out of state. The photos were not good and I "thought" I saw a black stripe on the hood of the Laguna Blue C7, but the salesman couldn't tell me. He called and confirmed it was a black stripe. I wanted more information--was it gloss, matte, or even the plastic applied stripe that could be removed? They refused to take any extra pictures for the car... a $47K purchase and "no, we can't take more pictures, but you can ship the car here (at my cost of $699) and then see it yourself before buying"!! Are you kidding me? there was a lot of pressure, the salesman kept emailing and calling, "When do you want to ship the car?". then, when I asked about some confusion as to whether the vehicle had NAV or not, they wouldn't go out to the car and find out or help by calling the original dealer (the original window sticker was not with the vehicle). They said I could just find the original chevy dealer on my own. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

However, WOW, the guy sure did try to sell the WARRANTY! This felt a lot like buying a stereo or TV from Circuit City. Maybe CarMax is a good place to SELL your car, but I didn't get the sense this guy was a car guy at all. He didn't know anything about cars, in fact, but sure knew about the warranty. Maybe this was unusual, maybe I got an unusually bad experience with CarMax. After hearing the comments here, I might try again if in the market for a used vehicle, but I'd have to find a salesman who understands customer service. I rate CarMax 2.5 on a 10 point scale. Very poor customer experience.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

WOW sorry I just saw this post up again (I commented several months ago on it). As I said earlier, totally different experience than I had in four different purchases at three different locations. Sorry you got screwed around that way. I'd tell them to JAM it and look someplace else. Try our forum dealers; you might get a new one for close to the same price. -- tom
Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Sounds like you got a lazy salesman which can happen at any dealer. I don't know if you tried escalating to their manager but I probably would have tried that first.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I rate CarMax 2.5 on a 10 point scale. Very poor customer experience.
To provide some perspective: You were at one dealership, trying to buy a car that is across the country at another sister dealership. I take it since you rate the CarMax experience as "2.5/10", that you have had a much better experience buying "remote" at another dealership?

The point is -- CarMax allows you to do something NO other nationwide dealership offers -- buying remote, shipping at a very reasonable cost, and STILL allowing you to back out of the deal (minus your pre-paid shipping) if the car arrives and it is not to your liking. What other dealer offers THAT?

I think, given that option is unique to CarMax, I am willing to cut them a lot of slack in their execution of that unique feature. I understand you were frustrated that it wasn't ALL that you wanted it to be, but at LEAST you HAD the option.

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM
barrynk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my Laguna Blue Z51 2014 convertible C7 from CarMax in March of this year. Found it on a Texas CarMax, had it shipped to NC for $500 in 4 days. Very smooth transaction, very quick paperwork. Had a minor alignment issue which turned out to be the tires. 4 new Michelin Pilot Sports were installed at no charge. Hard to beat that.

My experience was great, no problems, great service, decent purchase price.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (06-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Question about buying from CarMax